Find Kansas City Antiques and Collectibles at the Vintage Kansas City Marketplace ~ Own a Piece of Old KC

Vintage Kansas



Old News
Headlines and Articles from The Kansas City Journal

Business Office...4000 Main
City Editor.....4001 Main
Society Editor....4002 Main

Two cents. Subscription Rates:  By carrier, per week, 10 cents; per month, 45 cents.  By mail, daily and Sunday, one month, 40 cents; three months, $1.00; six months, $2.00; one year, $4.00.  Sunday only, six months, 75 cents; one year, $1.50.  Weekly Journal, 25 cents one year.

Like Vintage Kansas City on Facebook

As We See 'Em ~ Caricatures of Prominent Kansas Cityans

The Isis Theatre ~ Kansas City, Missouri

The History of Fairmount Park

Claims of Cancer Cured by Dr. Bye in Vintage KC Missouri

Special Cut Prices ~ Always the Same

Blogging Fusion Blog Directory

June 28, 1909



Heartbroken Over This Treatment,
Mrs. Mary Robinson, 70 Years
Old, a Paralytic, Swallows
Carbolic Acid.

Heart-broken over alleged treatment by her husband to whom she had been married forty-six years, and to whom she had borne 8 children, Mrs. Mary M. Robinson, 70 years old, swallowed carbolic acid yesterday morning at 9:30 o'clock and, successfully struggling against the efforts of a physician to administer an antidote, died an hour and a half later

She lived with her son, Ernest E. Robinson, 37 years old, and father of four children, at 312 South Topping avenue.

For about three years O. G. Robinson, three years his wife's junior, worked in Tennessee. He made frequent trips to Kansas City, however.

Four weeks ago Ernest Robinson says he received a letter from his father, declaring that "he guessed he was of age," and could act as he saw fit. The letter said he had procured a divorce in the South and had married a woman from Mississippi, 32 years old, who is now with him in Kansas City.


Already a hopeless paralytic, having used crutches for several years, the aged wife could not bear the added burden. She knew of a bottle of carbolic acid which her daughter-in-law used for household purposes, and secured it.

Although for years she could hardly raise her hand to her head, in her despair she managed to reach the bottle that lay on a shelf higher than the top of the kitchen door.

Ernest Robinson, the son, had been summoned to a neighbor's by a telephone call. Hardly had he taken down the receiver, when his little daughter who had run after him, cried out:

"Papa, grandma wants you to come quick as you can."


When he reached his mother's side, she told him there was no use in sending for a doctor, "for it was all over with her." By 11 o'clock she was dead.

Her former husband was notified and went with his son to make arrangements with the undertaker.

Another son, Arthur B. Robinson, 40 years old, lives next door to his brother at 310 Topping avenue. He has three children. These two sons are the only ones of the eight children surviving.

Mrs. Robinson was born, reared and married at Jay, Mo., but for twenty-three years had lived in Missouri.

Labels: , , , ,

December 24, 1908


Will Seek Employment and Live
With Her Children.

It will be a merry Christmas at the home of Thomas Pratt on Topping avenue. The four children of Mrs. Della Pratt, member of the rioting band of fanatics, have been there for a week and yesterday the mother was released from jail on bond. The amount at first decided upon was $5,000, but this was later cut to $3,000. The charge is second degree murder.

Mrs. Pratt, attired in heavy mourning, sat silently in the criminal court room while T. A. Frank Jones, her attorney, talked over the matter with Judge R. S. Latshaw. As soon as he had given bond for her appearance for trial March 1, she gathered up her belongings in the jail and started out to see her children.

"Mrs. Pratt will remain with her late husband's half-brother until her case can be disposed of," said Mr. Jones. "She will get employment and, after March, should she be freed, will go to her relatives in Texas."

Labels: , , , , ,

March 16, 1908


Policeman Chides Clyde Cobeck for
Plunging Into the Blue.

The first man to swim in the Blue river this spring is Clyde Cobeck, of 1037 Topping avenue. Patrolman Carl Johnson of No. 7 police station called him ashore at Fifteenth street because Cobeck was clad only in a union suit. The swimmer was about ready to come in anyhow, and remarked as he stepped ashore:

"It's the early diver who gets the cramps."

He was not arrested, but allowed to put on his garments and beat it to the nearest fire.

Labels: , , , ,

May 1, 1907


Contractor Brought Back From Garnett,
Kas., Taken to Hospital.

Sheriff Babb and City Marshal Lacy from Garnett, Kas., arrived in the city yesterday afternoon with James Waymire, a sidewalk contractor, who became demented near there last Saturday and was taken into custody. Waymire lives at 106 Topping avenue and has a wife and five children whose ages range from 2 to 12 years. He was later transferred to the general hospital. Dr. W. L. Gist diagnosed the case as one of acute mania.

Waymire is the happiest insane man seen at the station in a long time, laughing and talking of great accomplishments continually. "I just made $48,000,000 out of that old bridge," he told Mrs. Moran, police matron. "If you will only wait here half an hour I will take you for a ride in a gold automobile studded with diamonds. I own everything in the world."

Labels: , , , ,

March 28, 1907


Boy Resents Joke and Strikes
Tormentor With a Bolt.

Arthur Jackson, a young man living at 1308 1/2 East Ninth street, was hit over the head with a long bolt by G. C. Hammond, 18 years old, at the Kansas City Bolt and Nut works in Sheffield yesterday afternoon. Jackson was taken to the Sheffield hospital, where it was discovered that his skull had been badly fractured. He died at 9:30 o'clock last night without regaining consciousness. Hammond was arrested and is being held at No. 7 station for investigation.

Hammond, whose name is Grover Cleveland Hammond, lives with his parents at Tenth street and Topping avenue. Ever since he had the measles some years ago he has been regarded as weak minded. It was said that the men and other boys at the Nut and Bolt works were in the habit of bothering him. His parents came here only last fall and are poor. Yesterday afternoon, so a report says, Jackson in passing Hammond gave his truck a shove out of the way. This seemed to anger Hammond and he grabbed a long bolt, took a firm grasp on it with both hands and hit Jackson over the head with all his might. The coroner sent the body of Jackson to a Sheffield undertaker. An autopsy will be held today and an inquest later.

Labels: , , , ,


Get the Book
Vintage Kansas City Stories ~ Early 20th Century Americana as Immortalized in The Kansas City Journal
Kansas City Stories

Early Kansas City, Missouri

>>More KC Books<<

The History and Heritage of Vintage Kansas City in Books
Vintage Kansas
City Bookstore

Powered by Blogger

Vintage Kansas

Vintage Antique Classics ~ Vintage Music, Software, and more Time Travel Accessories

In association with
KC Web ~ The Ultimate Kansas City Internet Directory