Find Kansas City Antiques and Collectibles at the Vintage Kansas City Marketplace ~ Own a Piece of Old KC

Vintage Kansas



Old News
Headlines and Articles from The Kansas City Journal

Business Office...4000 Main
City Editor.....4001 Main
Society Editor....4002 Main

Two cents. Subscription Rates:  By carrier, per week, 10 cents; per month, 45 cents.  By mail, daily and Sunday, one month, 40 cents; three months, $1.00; six months, $2.00; one year, $4.00.  Sunday only, six months, 75 cents; one year, $1.50.  Weekly Journal, 25 cents one year.

Like Vintage Kansas City on Facebook

As We See 'Em ~ Caricatures of Prominent Kansas Cityans

The Isis Theatre ~ Kansas City, Missouri

The History of Fairmount Park

Claims of Cancer Cured by Dr. Bye in Vintage KC Missouri

Special Cut Prices ~ Always the Same

Blogging Fusion Blog Directory

February 2, 1910


Frank Smoot, 15, Crushed Under
Overturned Delivery Van --
Had Premonition of
Frank Smoot, Who Was Killed Under a Delivery Van.

Frank Smoot, 15 years old, delivery boy for the John Taylor Dry Goods Company, was instantly killed at 7:20 o'clock last night when a new twenty-four horsepower delivery wagon in which he was riding struck a pile of bricks on Baltimore avenue between Thirty-eighth and Thirty-ninth streets and turned over, crushing him.

Frank Limpus, who was driving, works for the company which sold the car and was teaching a man to drive it.

They were just finished making deliveries and were returning when the accident happened. Limpus and J. J. Emmert, who had charge of the deliveries, were on the seat and young Smoot was seated on Emmert's lap.

"We were going north on Baltimore about six or seven miles an hour," said Limpus. "It was rather dark and we did not see the pile of bricks until we were almost upon them. I tried to pull away from them, but did not have time and our right front wheel hit with a crash. The bricks were piled about seven feet high and when the car, which weighs about 3,500 pounds, struck them the corner of the pile was torn away. The force of the collision did not stop us and the wheels on the right side ran up onto the pile until the car was overbalanced and turned over. The three of us were thrown out, young Smoot falling beneath the heavy car, the weight of which crushed his life out, almost instantly.

"It all happened so quickly that we did not realize he was hurt until Emmert and I had picked ourselves up. I saw that the boy was caught under the car and tried to remove him, but was not able to lift the car off him. A crowd of people came up and several men helped me lift the car and we pulled him out."

Dr. Harry Czarlinsky, deputy coroner, had the body removed to the Freeman & Marshall undertaking rooms.

The victim of the accident was the only son of Mr. and Mrs. Thomas J. Smoot, 19 East Thirty-first street. Mrs. Smoot was at home preparing supper for her son when she was informed of his death.

"I knew something would happen," she said. "He did not want to go to work this morning. He is not used to automobiles and does not like to be around them. Just before he left for work he said to me, "Mamma, I expect John Taylor's will be getting air ships before long and deliver the packages with a long rope down the chimneys."

Mr. Taylor was notified of the accident and called at the undertaking rooms last night.

The dead boy had had been working for the dry goods company for the past year. He was born in Chicago, but was brought to Kansas City when he was six months old. The father of the boy runs a dress goods sample room at 406 East Eleventh street. Besides the parents, two little sisters, Addie and Edna, survive.

No one responsible for the bricks being piled in the street could be located last night, but several persons who live in the immediate neighborhood of the accident assert that no warning lights were placed.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

December 16, 1909


Jackson County Medical Society to
Build on Thirty-First.

The Jackson County Medical Society has purchased a lot at Thirty-first street and Gillham road, and some time after January 1 definite plans will be adopted for the erection of a building, which is to be the ethical home of the physicians of Jackson county. the structure will be used as a meeting place, and will be equipped with a large medical library and a museum. It is the intention to raise the necessary funds for the enterprise by subscription.

About 320 Kansas City doctors are members of the society, and they are working as a body to secure headquarters that will be a credit to the profession and to Kansas City as well.

Labels: , , , ,

November 30, 1909



Suggests 10th to 31st, Troost to
Montgall as Desirable Location,
But Learns It Is
Too Late.

The park board was told yesterday by Dr. M. H. Key, a negro, that there are 35,000 negroes already in Kansas city, and that in a few more years they will number at least 100,000. He said that the proper housing of the race was becoming a serious problem. It is his opinion that the only district left for them to locate in is between Troost, Montgall, Tenth and Thirty-first.

"The negroes are being driven from the West bottoms by the invasion of railroads; from the North end by Jews and Italians, and from other districts by the progress of industry and improvement," said the doctor.


The purpose of Dr. Key's explanation was to protest against the condemnation of land occupied by negroes in the vicinity of Twenty-sixth and Spring Valley park for the extension of the Paseo. He feared that their property would be practically confiscated, and that they would not be sufficiently recompensed to find abodes elsewhere.

The members of the board assured Dr. Key that the valuations of the negroes' property would be protected, and that he had come too late with his objections, as both the board and council had approved the proceedings.up to the north park district..

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

November 14, 1909


St. Louis Prelate Puts in Two Busy
Days in Kansas City -- Enjoyed
Every Moment.

Several hundred Knights of Columbus were present at the reception given in honor of Archbishop Glennon at their new hall at Thirty-first and Main streets Friday. After renewing many old friendships the archbishop left for St. Louis at 11 o'clock that night.

"It has been a busy two days," he said last night, "but I have enjoyed every moment of my visit. I only wish that I could remain longer. I thank the Lord for the good that He has enabled me to do in Kansas City."

As the result of the prelate's appeal to the public to aid the work that is being carried on by the House of the Good Shepherd, in his lecture at Convention hall last Thursday night, over $5,000 has been collected, and more has been pledged.

Yesterday morning Archbishop Glennon went to the old St. Teresa's academy at Twelfth and Washington streets and celebrated mass. After visiting Loretto academy he returned to St. Teresa's, where a musicale was given in his honor. In the afternoon he laid the corner stone of the new St. Teresa's academy building at Fifth street and Broadway. It rained hard throughout the whole service but over 300 people stood bare headed in the mud while the archbishop put the stone in place and blessed the building.

In the evening Archbishop Glennon was the guest of honor at a dinner given at the home of Hugh Mathews, 1014 West Thirty-ninth street, and attended by Bishop Hogan, Bishop Lillis, Brother Charles and Father Walsh. The party then attended the Knights of Columbus reception.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

Octoberr 4, 1909


Swope Park But One of His Contributions.

During his lifetime, Colonel Swope did much for the city in which he amassed his fortune. He gave to the city Swope park, 1,354 acres of land valued at $1,000 per acre. This beautiful tract of land has been converted into one of the finest natural recreation grounds in the Middle West, and it gave the donor much pleasure to see it appreciated as it is.

The land for the new city hospital at Twenty-third and Locust was given to the city by Colonel Swope.

He gave the Young Women's Christian Association $50,000 for its building fund. To the Young Men's Christian Association he gave $5,000.

He gave the ground for the Home for the Aged at Thirty-first and Locust. He recently gave the Franklin Institute, a charitable organization at 1901 McGee street, $50,000 to be used in building a new home, on the condition that the organization raise another $50,000 to add to it.

Many other smaller donations were made toward the work of extending charity to the needy and afflicted and it is said that never did he refuse to heed a plea for funds to conduct such work.

Colonel Swope devoted his time and energy almost entirely to his business. He was at his office early and late. He had been absent from his office but a few days in four or five years until he was taken ill September 2. On that day he was at his office the last time, but he directed his affairs from his sick room and took the same keen interest in the transaction of his business.


The first gift known to have made by the philanthropist was for the sum of $1,000 to the Presbyterian church in Danville, Ky., where he had worshiped so long as a student at Center college. Being a graduate of the famous old institution, Colonel Swope never lost interest in his alma mater, and learning that the school needed a library he made it possible for the old college to obtain one. He offered to give $25,000 to the school for the purpose if another $25,000 was raised. On March 15, 1902, the authorities of the school notified him that the required amount had been subscribed, and he sent his draft for $25,000. The name of the donor had not before been given, as he had requested that it only be given out that an alumnus had offered the money.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

June 20, 1909


List of Friday Night's Victims Re-
ported to Police.

Petty thieves and pickpockets were unusually busy Friday night and many robberies were reported to the police. In most cases, cash was taken. This list follows:

E. M. Dallas, 1026 Union avenue, lost diamond stud valued at $100 on Minnesota avenue car.

R. J. Nye's saloon, 1934 Grand avenue, cash register opened and $50 taken.

Miss Olive McCoy, 1035 Penn street, had pocketbook containing $30 stolen from her desk in the Great Western Life Insurance office.

Paul Witworth, 1111 East Eighth street, $40 taken from dresser drawer.

Samuel Levin, 1008 East Thirty-first street; dye works entered and $200 worth of clothes taken.

George Hayes, 1818 Oak street reported that he was slugged and robbed of $21 at Eighteenth and mcGee streets.

Floyd Swenson, 1810 Benton boulevard, reported that his residence was entered and money and jewelry aggregating $150 was taken.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

May 26, 1909


Or William Wright Will Have to
Pay $500 Fine.

William Wright and his wife, Mary, who live at Thirty-first and Poplar streets, were in municipal court yesterday, charged with disturbing the peace by James A. Johnson, a neighbor, who claimed that Wright had resented his complaint in regard to his chickens, which were allowed to run at large, and had attempted to stab him a knife.

Johnson testified that in the melee, Mrs. Wright had appeared in the doorway and fired several shots at him with a revolver.

Most of the neighborhood appeared and vouched for Johnson's story. The court fined each of the defendants $500 but gave them a stay of execution on the condition that the chickens be penned up.

Labels: , , ,

February 28, 1909



Was an Intimate Friend of Edgar
Allen Poe and the Poet's
Wife -- Was Born in
101-Year-Old Katherine Quigley

Mrs. Katherine Quigley, 101 years old, an intimate friend of Edgar Allen Poe and his wife, died yesterday afternoon at the home of her son, John A. Quigley, 3331 Troost avenue.

Mrs. Quigley was active up until the time of her death. Possessed of a naturally strong constitution, inherited from a long line of Irish ancestors, she had never taken a doctor's prescription in her life. One of her grandfathers lived to be 108 years old, and both of her parents saw their 80th birthdays.

Her maiden name was Katherine Bradley, and she was born and reared in a small village in the North of Ireland near the River Boyne. She left there at the age of 25 because, as she told her children, there were no young men eligible for matrimony in her native place. She had wealthy relatives living in New York, and they asked her to come and live with them. She came in a ship owned by one of her uncles, and on her arrival in New York city learned to be a milliner and dressmaker. After a few years her customers included the most fashionable people of the city, and she acquired a small competence.


It was at this time that she made the acquaintance of the young writer and newspaper man, Edgar Allan Poe, and his child wife, Virginia, to whom he wrote Liglia," "The Sleeper," and "Lenore," as well as many of his other great poems. Miss Bradley was a frequent visitor at the house in Fordham. Poe, she often said, was recognized by all his friends as a genius. He was not living in poverty, although he had a penchant for railing at the poor financial returns that were made for works of genius. He was a long haired, egotistical young man, liked to talk about himself and drank, but then, so did everybody else in Fordham. The wife was a lovable and beautiful young girl and when she died the heart of the poet was broken and he disappeared.

Miss Bradley married Mr. James Quigley, a drygoods merchant, in New York, in 1848. The husband died in 1861, but the widow continued to live in New York until eighteen years ago, w hen she came to this city to live with her son.

One of her sons, James A. Quigley, was the incorporator and organizer of the Clover Leaf railway lines. He died last year in New York. Another son, B. A. Quigley, formerly lived in this city and the third, John A. Quigley, is in business here. Seven grandchildren and four great-grandchildren survive.

Mrs. Quigley was a Catholic. Funeral services probably will be held from St. Vincent's church, Thirty-first street and Flora avenue, tomorrow.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

October 27, 1908



Went to Bassin's Shop to Rob Him
and Killed the Young Man When
He Interfered With
Their Plan.

When Edward Cassidy and Thad Dyer entered the little shoe shop of Elle Bassin and his son, Nathan, 1221 West Twenty-fourth street, at 10 o'clock Saturday night, they were bent on robbery. The confession of Cassidy to Captain Walter Whitsett late yesterday afternoon settled that question. They figured no interference, but when Nathan Bassin objected and grappled with Cassidy, the latter said he drew a revolver and shot him dead.

The murder took place in the shoe shop at 10 o'clock Saturday night, and when it was discovered it was a mystery. It remained so until Sunday morning, when Patrolmen Fred Nissen and W. J. Graham got a clue which led to the arrest of Dyer and Cassidy. A grocer, William Doarn, at the southwest corner of Twenty-fourth and Mercier streets, remembered that the two men had been in his place just before the killing and had said, "If you see anything happen around here tonight you haven't seen us."

Dyer was the first to confess yesterday morning after being questioned a long while. Then he laid the crime on Cassidy and said: "We went into the the shop with the intention of trying on a pair of shoes and wearing them out without paying for them . When we started out the young man grabbed Casssidy and he shot him . Then we both ran."


This story didn't sound, as there were no shoes for sale in the shop. Dyer stuck to his story until Cassidy confessed; then he said the latter's version was correct. Casssidy told the following story to Captain Whitsett and afterwards made a statement to I. B. Kimbrell, county prosecutor.

"We were broke and wanted some money. We met in Water's saloon on Southwest boulevard about 8:30 p. m. Then we visited different places until about 9:45 o'clock, when we decided to hold up the old shoemaker. We went to Doarn's grocery store, across from the shoeshop, and saw Will Doarn in the door. We asked him not to say anything about seeing us in the neighborhood if anything happened.


"Then we went across the street," continued Cassidy. "Dyer stood in the door of the shop as I entered and ordered 'Hands up." The young man grabbed me, and I shot him. I wanted to get away. That's all. I'm sorry, awful sorry. I never went into the thing with the intention of killing anybody."

Cassidy and Dyer both ran from the place immediately after the shooting and separated. Cassidy remained about the Southwest boulevard until late and then went home with a friend. He lives at 908 West Thirty-first street, and Dyer at 703 Southwest boulevard. Dyer said he went home.

Dyer is the son of Edward Dyer, a member of the Kansas City fire department. The father was at police headquarters insisting upon his son's innocence yesterday just after he had confessed his part in the murder.

Both men are well known to the police. Cassidy was recently arraigned in the municipal court by Sergeant Thomas O'Donnell on a charge of vagrancy. They were taken before Justice Festus O. Miller late yesterday afternoon and arraigned on a charge of murder in the first degree. They waived preliminary examination and were committed to the county jail without bond to await trial in the criminal court.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

October 1, 1908


Call Box Donated the Little Sisters
of the Poor.

The police board agreed yesterday that for the safety of the aged inmates, in case of fire, a Gamewell box was to be placed in the home conducted by the Little Sisters of the Poor at Thirty-second and Cherry streets. The Bank of Commerce donated the box and the Missouri and Kansas Telephone Company will do the work of installation free of charge. Wires will be run to Thirty-first and Holmes street, where the Gamewell wires will be tapped. From there they will connect with Westport police station No. 5.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

August 26, 1908


Charles Timberlake Failed to Take
His Own Life With Three Shots.

Accompanied by his 11-year-old brother-in-law, Max Harrington, Charles Timberlake, a traveling salesman out of employment, left the home of his wife at 3501 East Thirty-first street, about six o'clock last evening. They walked to the corner of Thirty-first and Indiana, one block from home. Mr. Timberlake took a few steps around the corner, drew a revolver and fired three shots at himself. Two of the shots took effect and he dropped to the pavement. The boy ran home and told what had happened.

Henry Trott, a butcher at 3329 East Thirty-first street, was a witness to the attempt at self-destruction. He, with the aid of others, took Mr. Timberlake back to his home and the ambulance from the Walnut street station was called. One bullet pierced the left chest just above the heart, the other passed through the right shoulder.

Patrolman Isaac Hull investigated the case. It was found that Timberlake had only arrived here Friday from California. He had been stopping at the home of his mother-in-law, 3501 East Thirty-first street, where his wife had been for the last eight months. Little information could be gained at the house, but it was intimated that Mr. Timberlake and his wife had been separated and that he had come on here to effect a reconciliation. Mrs. Harrington said she believed all had been arranged yesterday. No one would ascribe a cause for the attempted suicide, and though Mr. Timberlake was conscious when removed to the general hospital, he would tell nothing of the affair to Dr. Thornton or to the attendants at the hospital.

More information was gained from the butcher, Trott, than anyone else. He said he was attracted by the sound of the shooting and ran to Mr. Timberlake as soon as he fell to the ground. "When I arrived at his side and asked him what he had done," Trott told the police, "he begged me to take his gun and finish the job, saying he wanted very much to die and had made a botch job of it."

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

August 8, 1908


Apartment House at Thirty-First and
Tracy Has Been Landmark.

After having stood in its unfinished condition over two years, the five-story brick building at Thirty-first and Tracy avenue is to be completed. Finding that there were not the necessary fire walls in place, and that the interior iron was too light, the building inspectors refused to permit the finishing of the building.

Labor troubles were frequent, and to that is laid the fact that some of the exterior walls are not true. Plans have now been submitted and accepted for putting in reinforcing steel, and the building, which is to be an apartment house, is to be finished.

The unfinished building has been a blot on the pretty landscape, with its roofless walls and gaping windows and wilderness of debris strewn about. Thousands passing on the Thirty-first street cares have gazed on it and wondered. Property owners of the neighborhood have gazed on it and done something else. That it is to be finished at last will be bright news to many indirectly concerned.

Labels: ,

May 28, 1908


Dismissed Pupils Yesterday When
Black Clouds Appeared.

Fearing that the black cloud which approached Kansas City from the northwest yesterday morning was bring a tornado, Miss Emma J. Lockett, principal of the Linwood school, Linwood and Woodland avenues, dismissed the 735 children under her care, and sent them scampering to their homes.

But she first called up P. Connor, the weather forecaster. After being assured that the coming storm was not a twister, she remembered how many times she had failed to take an umbrella when he said "Fair today," and had come home dripping, so she was not satisfied, but tried to call the school board. After several ineffectual attempts, the board's telephone being in use at each time, she noticed that the cloud was much nearer. At the rate it was coming, the children could barely have time to get to their own roofs before trees began to be uprooted. She rang the dismissal bell, telling her charges to go home at once.

But Mr. Connor was right, and Miss Lockett very sweetly admitted it after the cloud had passed. School was resumed at the afternoon hour.

The Catholic sisters in charge of St. Vincent's academy, Thirty-first street and Flora avenue, also dismissed their 250 pupils when the threatening clouds appeared.

In 1886 the Lathrop school, Eight and May streets, was partly wrecked by a storm. Several children were killed.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

March 29, 1908


And All the Cars in Town Stopped as
a Consequence.

Just because a small engine in the power house at Thirty-first and Holmes streets went out every car line in the city was "tied up" yesterday afternoon at 5 o'clock. It was just at the time when traffic is the heaviest for the Metropolites, when business men and shoppers have begun to turn their faces homeward, and these unfortunate ones found themselves in a place where they had to wait an indefinite length of time, or walk the indefinite number of miles to their homes Many of them chose the latter course but were very careful to do a lot of their waling along the route of their "homegoing car."

When the engine at Thirty-first and Holmes streets got "lost" it affected the machinery in the large power house at Second street and Grand avenue. This power house, directly or indirectly, controls every line in the city and when its machines stopped, so did all of the cars throughout town. Emergency treatment was given to the engines at the power houses and within fifteen minutes the wheels began to turn and the cars started. Just how the engine in the Holmes street power house "went dead" will not be known until an examination is held today.

Labels: , , , ,

March 28, 1908


Rex Hawkins Loses Control of His Car,
Which Strikes Another.

Rex Hawkins, the motorman on southbound Indiana car No. 643, was killed in a collision which occurred between Thirtieth and Thirty-first street on Indiana avenue at 11:15 o'clock last night. Hawkins lost control of his car as it was descending the hill toward the end of the line and the switchback at Thirty-first street. Indiana car No. 636, which was standing on the east track at the terminus, was telescoped and completely demolished by the southbound car when it jumped the track.

Hawkins was caught in the vestibule of his car, his left leg broken and his body crushed. He was extricated from the wreck and carried into McCann & Bartell's drug store at Thirty-first and Indiana. Dr. H. A. Breyfogle attended the injured motorman, who died a few minutes after being carried into the drug store. Hawkins lived at 2424 Tracy avenue. Isaac Pate and William Lamar, the trainmen on the car that was telescoped, were bruised and shaken up but sustained no dangerous injuries. E. J. Hanson, the conductor on the runaway car, was uninjured. Hawkins's body was taken to Eylar Brothers' undertaking rooms.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

March 10, 1908


Disinherited Nephew Wants Part of
Rich Relative's Estate.

Hamp and George A. Steven's suit to break the will of their uncle, John C. Larwill, a millionaire, who died in Mansfield, O., two years ago, came to trial yesterday in Judge J. E. Goodrich's division of the circuit court. The trial will occupy all of this week.

Larwilll owned real estate in many Western states and his holdings in Kansas City are estimated to be worth $150,000. In the list are the lot and buildings at the southeast corner of Eighth and Main streets and ten lots on Troost avenue near Thirty-first street.

By the will Hampy Stevens was given $1,000 and George, his brother, wa disinherited. Among those who were generously remembered in the will, and are defending it, are Mrs. Susan M. Larwill, widow of John Larwill; Joseph H. Larwill, a brother, and Paul Larwill, a nephew. These people live in Ohio.

Labels: , , , , , ,

February 25, 1908





Two confidence men, who had fleeced J. W. Burrows, and Oklahoma ranchman, out of $1,000, were captured last night after an exciting chase, in which several shots were fired, and then, after being in the safe custody of two officers, made their escape at Eighth and Delaware streets through the alleged interference of Roy Casey, a constable of Justice Remley's court.

Both confidence men were arrested by Detective Lyngar, who captured the smaller of the swindlers as he was emerging from a Leavenworth car at the Junction. The larger of the confidence men jumped through the car window and fled down Delaware street. Lyngar, dragging the smaller prisoner with him, gave chase and finally fired at the escaping prisoner. The bullet entered the right arm and the man fell exhausted near the rear of the American Bank building.

Lyngar, determined to catch his man, turned the uninjured prisoner over to Patrolman Regan, and then grabbed the second man. The officers and prisoners then started for the call box at Eighth and Delaware streets and it is here, witnessees say, that Casey interfered.


Casey, in company with David S. Russell and C. E. Reckert of the city engineer's office, pushed through the crowd that had gathered and stopped Lyngar. Casey's explanation is that he did not know Lyngar was an officer and thought that he was going to shoot Patrolman Regan, who was marching in front with the injured prisoner. O. P. Rush of 3015 Olive street and L. R. Ronwell of 1902 East Thirty-first street witnessed the affair and told the police that they heard Lyngar tell Casey that he was an officer.

At any rate an arguent ensued. Patrolman Regan, who was holding his prisoner by the collar of his overcoat, turned around to ascertain what the trouble was. In an instant the inured prisoner slipped out of his overcoat and dived into the crowd. Regan pursued him, firing three shots at the criminal as he ran west on Eighth street. None of the bullets seem to have taken effect.

These shots created fresh excitement and Lyngar, furious with Casey's interruption, loosened his hold on the other man. In an instant the prisoner had jerked away from the officer and was lost in the crowd.


The only satisfaction Regan and Lyngar got was in arresting Casey. Regan rapped him twice over the head and Lynar took the constable to the Central station, where he was released on $26 bail. Casey had been attending the Republican convention.

The inured thief not alone lost his overcoat, but in plunging through the crowd lost his hat and undercoat as well. He was traced as far as Second and Wyandotte streets, where he purchased a new hat and coat. Then he ran toward the Kansas City Southern yards.


Upon the complaint of J. W. Burrows, Oklahoma ranchman, that he had been swindled out of $1,000 by the two confidence men, Detectives Lyngar and Lewis were assigned to the case. Lewis was called away, so Lyngar accompanied by Burrows, made the investigation alone. At the Junction, Burrows espied the two men inside a Leavenworth car at about 9 o'clock. Lyngar went after them. The larger of the men, finding the front entrance of the car shut off, jumped through a window. The smaller attempted to brush by Lyngar, but the detective grabbed him It was following this that the chase began, which ended in Casey's intererence and the escape of the men.

The coat lost by the injured prisoner contained a book which indicates that he lives in the vicinity of the Union stock yards in Chicago.

About 1 o'clock this morning police officers found the coat of the smaller of the two confidence men, from which he also slipped when he escaped from the officer's grasp. It was in Brannon's saloon, on Delaware street, near Eighth.

When the smaller "con" man squirmed out of the garment it fell in the crowd, which parted to allow him to pass. It is not known who took it to the saloon. It is the theory of the police that the $1,000 stolen from the ranchman was in the pocket of the little man's coat when he was captured. It wasn't there when the coat was found.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

January 20, 1908


Peter Mettlach Raced the Streets in
Unseasonable Raiment.

Running races with automobiles and street cars in his underclothes was the strange pastime of Peter Mettlach of 901 East Eighteenth street last night. Mettlach was placed in a sanitarium at Thirty-first street and Euclid avenue about two weeks ago.

Last night about 7 o'clock he told a nurse that he wanted to go home. She refused to give him his clothes, telling him that he was not in condition to go home yet. Mettlach, however, took a different view of the situation and went on back into his room on the second floor of the house, opened up a window and climbed down the fire escape and to freedom. He then entered his wild gambols over the southeast part of the city.

Patrolmen from No. 9 and No. 5 police stations were detailed to pick him up. After several hours he was seen by the motorman of a Swope park car, running by the side fo the car. Seeing the man in his underclothes, bareheaded and barefooted, the motorman stopped the car and urged the man to get in the car. When the car arrived at Forty-eighth and Harrison streets two policemen took the man on up to Thirty-first and Troost avenue, where his relatives met him with some clothes and took him home.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

September 2, 1907


"Minnesota Avenue" Displaces "Car-
nival Park" and "Indiana Avenue."

Two familiar stret car signs ceased to exist yeaterday. They were on the "Indiana" and the "Carnival Park" lines. A consolidation of the two lines was effected yesterday into what will be called "Minnesota Avenue." The new line will be run over the same rounte as formerly but an extension of the Indiana line from Thirty-first street to Carnival park, Kansas City, Kas., will be made. Hereafter persons looking for the Carnival park and Indiana cars will reach their destination by way of the Minnesota avenue line.

Six new cars, similar in construction to those on the Rockhill line, were placed in commission on Twelfth street yesterday. In all, Twelfth street will gain twenty new cars as soon as the wiring is instaled. Today several more will be added and by Wednesday the equipment on the thoroughfare is expected to be greatly improved.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

March 4, 1907


"What! Pay His Fine of $100!"
Gasped Mrs. Ogle. "Never!"

"Well," said Mrs. Elmer Ogle, in answer to a question yesterday afternoon, "the reason I didn't horsewhip my husband in police court as the judge told me to was this: I knew that if I whipped him there, and he was let go, it would be me next. If I whipped him there, when he got home he would have beaten me again, and maybe done a better job of it than he did the first time. So, I thought, if I don't whip him, and let him be sent to the workhouse, I may have time to get away from him before he does me any further harm."

Mrs. Ogle is a small woman. She married Ogle three years ago. She was a widow and he was a widower. They own a grocery store at 3403 East Thrity-first street, and live in the four rooms above it. Mrs. Ogle confesses to being 43 years of age. Ogle says he is 30. They have had no children since their marriage.

Ogle, who was fined $100 in police court Saturday morning for beating his wife, is now in the workhouse. Mrs. Ogle visited him there yesterday. He had sent for her.

"I told him," said Mrs. Ogle, "that I would not live with him again. He had sent for me to get me to pay his fine and let him out. I refused to do it. He told the judge yesterday morning that he would let me have everything else if I would let him have the horse and wagon to go away with. I have since agreed to that, and I get the grocery store. I shall sell it. After that I don't know what I shall do."

"Will you pay his fine out of the proceeds and get your husband out of the workhouse?"

"I don't know what I shall do about that," replied Mrs. Ogle. "He has a brother who is going to try tomorrow to get him out. I may decide to pay the fine, but -- that $100 looks mighty good to me."

"At least," she went on, "I won't live with him again. I won't live with any man who beats me. It never happened to me before, and I don't propose to let it happen again if I can help it."

Labels: , , , , , ,

March 2, 1907
Grocer Arrested on Charge of Wife Beating
Says He Was Beaten.

Patrolmen Wiseman and Hull of No. 9 station were called to 3493 East Thirty-first street at 5 o'clock yesterday afternoon to arrest Elmer Ogle, a grocer there who, it was reported, was beating his wife. When first arrested his bond was fixed at $5 for disturbing the peace. When taken to headquarters it was made $101 and later it was raised to $501. The police said a large bond had been requested. They also said Ogle had accused his wife of flirting and had beaten her severely.
Ogle is 30 years old and his wife 46. He said last night, in his own defense, "Strike my wife? I should say not. I love her too much for that. She nearly beat the life out of me today with a nail puller and I never even cussed her."
She had been over to the home of her son, Elija Williams, 3300 West Prospect, where a new baby had just arrived. That must have exited her, for she came home on the war path. She smelled whiskey on my breath and that started her. She started in by throwing down all the can goods she could reach and dragging the meat off onto the floor. She must have pulled down $20 worth when she caught sight of me again. I was starting to take the harness out, hitch up and drive away until she cooled down.
"Well, sir, she grabbed that iron nail puller and every time I would make a move to pick up a piece of harness she would wollop me one with that nail puller. Look at my face here! Look at my arms and hands! I'm peeled off like that from head to foot. I don't know who sent for the police, but I was dern glad when they got there, for I was about all in.

"I did catch her flirting today, but I never even mentioned it to her. I was talking with two men about trading my store for a farm in Oklahoma. One of them got a half pint of whisky and we drank it. All that was left of it when she got there, however, was the smell of the booze, and that made her wild. Those two fellows sat there and saw my wife lick me -- that's what they did. No, sir. I love my wife, if she did lick me. She'll be cooled down by morning and I don't believe she'll appear against me. If she does I might get mad myself and turn the tables on her, for I never struck her a lick."

Ogle said they had been married three years and that yesterday he took the first drink of whisky he had taken in four years. The case against him is set for this morning in police court.

Labels: , , , , ,


Get the Book
Vintage Kansas City Stories ~ Early 20th Century Americana as Immortalized in The Kansas City Journal
Kansas City Stories

Early Kansas City, Missouri

>>More KC Books<<

The History and Heritage of Vintage Kansas City in Books
Vintage Kansas
City Bookstore

Powered by Blogger

Vintage Kansas

Vintage Antique Classics ~ Vintage Music, Software, and more Time Travel Accessories

In association with
KC Web ~ The Ultimate Kansas City Internet Directory