Find Kansas City Antiques and Collectibles at the Vintage Kansas City Marketplace ~ Own a Piece of Old KC

Vintage Kansas



Old News
Headlines and Articles from The Kansas City Journal

Business Office...4000 Main
City Editor.....4001 Main
Society Editor....4002 Main

Two cents. Subscription Rates:  By carrier, per week, 10 cents; per month, 45 cents.  By mail, daily and Sunday, one month, 40 cents; three months, $1.00; six months, $2.00; one year, $4.00.  Sunday only, six months, 75 cents; one year, $1.50.  Weekly Journal, 25 cents one year.

Like Vintage Kansas City on Facebook

As We See 'Em ~ Caricatures of Prominent Kansas Cityans

The Isis Theatre ~ Kansas City, Missouri

The History of Fairmount Park

Claims of Cancer Cured by Dr. Bye in Vintage KC Missouri

Special Cut Prices ~ Always the Same

Blogging Fusion Blog Directory

March 28, 1909



Compelled to Hold Up Hands Ten
Minutes After Robbers Left.
May Have Been Aided
by a Woman.

One of the most sensational holdups in recent years occurred about 10 o'clock last night when five men robbed the saloon of John Galvin at 1419 West Twenty-fourth street. The twenty or more men in the place all held up by two of the bandits and compelled to remain in the saloon fully ten minutes before they dared to leave. About $160 was secured by the highwaymen.

It was unusually crowded in the saloon last night. A dozen men were lined up at the bar, and Thomas McAuliff, the bartender, was so busy that he had hardly time to visit with the frequenters. But he stopped at his work when a woman began to yell in the back yard.

A moment later she burst into the barroom through the rear entrance and yelled, "Murder!" All eyes were fixed in her direction when two men stepped in behind her. Each had a red handkerchief over his face and each held a revolver.

"Up with your hands," commanded the taller of the two.

A few of the patrons tried to slip through the front door, but they changed their minds when they saw three more men with guns on the outside. In a moment they had all backed up against the wall and were holding their hands as high as possible. In a businesslike manner the short man went down the line and searched the pockets of each of the victims. He was evidently disappointed at the small amount of change that he managed to extract.

"The cash register must have it all," he said.

Maculiff was also standing with his hands in the air and made no objection to the robber's familiarity with the cash register. Not satisfied with the $100 which the register contained, the highwaymen searched the bartender. He secured $60, besides a watch which Maculiff valued at $65.

The woman, on whom all the attention was at first directed, had left the room. It was getting tiresome for the twenty victims who were leaning against the wall and they were more than glad when the operations of the robbers seemed to be about over. But the prospect of freedom was not so good when one of the men said:

"Now, if a single one of you move in the next ten minutes, he gets his head blown off." The two men backed out of the saloon through the front entrance and ran eastward on Twenty-fourth street. They were joined by their companions, though the patrons and the bartender were not aware of the fact. All remained in the same tiresome position for fully ten minutes. When Maculiff got to the door he saw that the coast was clear.

The police at the Southwest boulevard police station were notified and hurried to the scene. A few clews were picked up which made the officers believe that the holdup gang had been in the neighborhood all evening. The part that the woman played in the holdup was still a topic of conversation at closing time at midnight. Several affirmed that she was an accomplice to the robbers, while others said that she was some woman who lived in the neighborhood and had run in the saloon for protection.

The frequenters of the saloon were too excited to talk about the robbery in a coherent manner last night. Henry Beadles, who lives at 2014 Summit street, said he thought that there were only two men in the gang, but Michael Connolly, who lives at 2136 Madison street, said that he saw three others plainly through the door.

John Reed, 2312 Terrace street, was sure that he could recognize the robbers should he ever see them again. One of them had high cheek bones, and limped slightly in walking. All of the victims said that the ten minutes which they spent against the wall after the robbers had left were the longest ten minutes they had ever experienced. About $3 was secured from the men.

Labels: , , , , , ,

October 5, 1907


Jury Acquits Joseph Wuerth and
Raymond Weixeldorfer.

Raymond Weixeldorfer and Joseph Wuerth, charged jointly with the murder of Johann Almensbrger, who have been on trial in the criminal court since Monday, were acquitted at 10 o'clock last night by the jury, which deliberated eight hours. It was said about the criminal court building that for the last six hours the jury stood eleven for acquittal and one for conviction.

Almensberger was struck on the head by a rock or two on the night of June 26, 1907, when he was attending a house warming at the residence of Herman Seidl, 1884 Terrace street. He died August 3.

The jury was unable to tell who threw the rocks which caused the fatal wound, there being such a confusion of stories told by the witnesses.

The next murder case set for trial in Kansas city is the John J. Pryor case. Pryor is charged with the killing of George Morton on the sidewalk on Walnut street between Sixth and Seventh streets, one night last November. The case has been continued four times, but may be tried at the next setting, October 12.

Labels: , ,

August 9, 1907


Raymond Weixeldorfer Released on
$5,000 Bond by Justice Remley.

Raymond Weixeldorfer was arraigned for second degree murder before Justice Remley yesterday. The death of Johann Almensberger last Saturday was the cause of the murder charge against Weixeldorfer. In a fight at a German party June 23, at 1884 Terrace street, it is alleged that Weixeldorfer struck the blow which caused Almensbergers death. The coroner's jury yesterday morning advised the holding of Weixeldorfer. He was released on $5,000 bond.

Labels: , , , ,

August 8, 1907


Inquest Over Death of John Almens-
berger Continues Today.

Beno Seidl was the chief witness at the coroner's inquest yesterday over the death of Johann Almensberger, who was fatally injured at a "house warming" at Seid's new house, 1884 Terrace street, two weeks ago. Seidl brought a large rock, wrapped in a newspaper, to the court room and showed it to the jury. He said that Raymond Weixeldorfer, now held for Almansberger's murder, hit the latter on the head with the rock. There were thirty invited guests and six kegs of beer at the "house warming," Seidl told the jury. The inquest will be concluded this morning.

Labels: ,

May 16, 1907


Druggist Who Sold Cocaine Fined
$250 in Police Court

When the "Black Maria" was being loaded at police headquarters yesterday with its daily load of prisoners for the workhouse there was one figure among the rollicking, happy-go-lucky crowd that attracted more than usual attention. It was that of a tall and aged man, his hair as white as the snow. He used a cane to feel his way up the steps and his high power glasses signified bad eyesight. Attendants had to assist the man into the wagon.

The unusual figure was that of H. B. Sargent, 70 years old, druggist at 1901 Grand avenue. He had pleaded guilty in police court to selling cocaine to J. M. Watkins, a user of the drug, living at 2127 Terrace street, and had been fined $250. Watkins, who was fined $100 on a vagrancy charge and sent to the general hospital for treatment, testified against Sargent. Mr. Sargent has a wife living at 3021 Oak street. There are no children. He said he was not able to give a $500 appeal bond.

Not many months ago the same aged white-haired man stood in police court charged with the same offense -- selling cocaine. The case was a clear one, but the court was lenient on account of the man's age and the oath he took. Raising his right hand high above his head he said in a trembling voice:

"Judge, I swear as I hope for mercy from my God that I will sell no more cocaine so long as I may live. I will not even keep it in my store. If there is any found there on my return I will cast it in the street."

Mr. Sargent was asked of that oath yesterday before he was taken away. "I made such an oath," he said, "and it was my intention to keep it. But there are two ways of looking at this thing. Here come a man and or a woman into my store. The eyes are wild and sunken, the face wan, drawn, and dreadfully pale. The form trembles as a leaf in a storm. They are too weak almost to stand. Cocaine is the only thing that will relieve them. Death might follow if they did not get it. I never put them in that shape, I know I didn't, but what am I to do?"

On account of Sargent's age efforts will be made to secure his release from the workhouse.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

March 30, 1907


Crapshooters Operate Games on South
Terrace, It Is Charged.

Under the seal of secrecy two boys tipped off Judge McCune of the juvenile court yesterday afternoon the fact that a gang of crap-shooters is running a series of games in the neighborhood of Twenty-eighth and Terrace, victimizing the boys of that part of the city. The games are conducted with a great deal of care to avoid interruption by the police. The scheme is for the gamekeeper to carry under his arm a small piece of canvas, which he spreads as a table, while he appoints lookouts in all directions to warn him of the approach of the police. Whenever an alarm is given the dealer simply folds up his canvas and puts it in his pocket and there is no evidence left of his misdeeds.

According to the story told by the boys, on Sundays these lads play pretty heavily, sometimes as much as $15 going into the hands of the gamekeeper.

An effort will be made to break this practice up and arrests will undoubtedly be made as soon as sufficient evidence can be secured against the gamekeepers. The boys yesterday declared they were afraid to tell the names of the ringleaders, because threats of violence have been made against any boy who "peaches."

Labels: , , , ,

February 6, 1907



After Telling His Story, He Disappeared, but He Is Now Ready to Go on the Stand --
Taking of Testimony Begins This Morning.

After a search covering several weeks a most important witness for the state in the Crone murder trial, which begins today, has been found. Rather, he was found several days ago, but the announcement was made only last evening.

He is the man who swore so positively a few days after the murder that he saw Albert Crone on the Kersey Coates terrace at about 8:50 o'clock on the evening of Thursday, July 19, the time at which the officers say the murder must have been committed. Bertha Bowlink, the murdered girl, and Frank Kern, who was assaulted at the same time, went out for a walk that evening about 8:30 o'clock. A young woman in the neighborhood says she heard groans coming from the direction of the spot where the girl's body was found, about 10 o'clock that night. Thus the police declare the killing must have been done between those two hours.

The witness who has been missing for so long and who has now been found, is Roy M. Yowell, a Frisco fireman. He swore positively to seeing Crone on the terrace at the time stated and later identified Crone at the county jail. Before he saw him, however, he described Crone accurately and added that he had on a "lead-colored hat." Crone had at that time a United States infantry campaign hat which is of a dark gray, or lead color.

Yowell went to police headquarters early this morning with Marshal Francis, of Emporia, having arrived here from that city shortly after midnight. He was taken to a hotel and a policeman assigned to stay in his vicinity for the night.

Yowell's statement to the prosecutor the day after Crone's arrest was as follows:
"I left a restaurant at 915 West Twelfth street about 8:35. I started to
my room at 1121 West Seventeenth street by the Kersey Coates driveway.
About half way between Twelfth and Seventeenth streets I came upon a man and a
woman sitting on a catch basin, which is about two feet above the present
grade. The girl was bareheaded and wore a dark dress. It may
have been blue. The man with her sat with his elbows on his knees
and only glanced up as I passed. He was a large man, weighing probably 190
or 200 pounds.
"There are breaks in the bluff along there, where the light from the electric lights above shines through. As I passed the pair I looked at my watch. It was 8:40 o'clock. About 150
to 200 yards to the south of the couple, I came upon a man carrying his coat under his arm and with what I took to be a short cane in his hand. It was about three feet long. The man passed to the right of me toward the edge of the road. I started to speak to him, as I thought him a friend. Seeing that he was not, I scrutinized him closely as he came between me and the light in the bottoms."

Here he described Crone, even to the campaign hat he wore:

"I saw and recognized this same man in a cell at police headquarters at 11:30 Friday night. In spite of all the alibis he may have, I am willing to go on the stand and swear that he is the man I saw there.

"The man I passed on the driveway had his hat pulled down and walked around me as if he wanted to avoid meeting anyone. Nevertheless, I got a good look at him. Crone is that man. Just as I got to the end of the driveway and came to the walk leading up Seventeenth street, another man,
who was walking leisurely along, stepped from the sidewalk and started on down the driveway toward where the couple sat. Both the men I passed were going in that direction. I have seen Charles Henry, who is arrested with Crone. He does not fit the description of the second man I saw."

Crone's alibi consists of a statement that at the time the killing must have taken place he was in a card game in the Tralle saloon at 1125 Grand avenue. He has five witnesses who are expected to swear that they were in the card room with him at that time.

The taking of the testimony in the case will begin at 9 o'clock this morning before Special Judge Casteel, of St. Joseph, in the criminal court.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,


Get the Book
Vintage Kansas City Stories ~ Early 20th Century Americana as Immortalized in The Kansas City Journal
Kansas City Stories

Early Kansas City, Missouri

>>More KC Books<<

The History and Heritage of Vintage Kansas City in Books
Vintage Kansas
City Bookstore

Powered by Blogger

Vintage Kansas

Vintage Antique Classics ~ Vintage Music, Software, and more Time Travel Accessories

In association with
KC Web ~ The Ultimate Kansas City Internet Directory