Find Kansas City Antiques and Collectibles at the Vintage Kansas City Marketplace ~ Own a Piece of Old KC

Vintage Kansas



Old News
Headlines and Articles from The Kansas City Journal

Business Office...4000 Main
City Editor.....4001 Main
Society Editor....4002 Main

Two cents. Subscription Rates:  By carrier, per week, 10 cents; per month, 45 cents.  By mail, daily and Sunday, one month, 40 cents; three months, $1.00; six months, $2.00; one year, $4.00.  Sunday only, six months, 75 cents; one year, $1.50.  Weekly Journal, 25 cents one year.

Like Vintage Kansas City on Facebook

As We See 'Em ~ Caricatures of Prominent Kansas Cityans

The Isis Theatre ~ Kansas City, Missouri

The History of Fairmount Park

Claims of Cancer Cured by Dr. Bye in Vintage KC Missouri

Special Cut Prices ~ Always the Same

Blogging Fusion Blog Directory

February 8, 1909



Japan Not Prepared Financially and
Anyhow, She's Not Looking
for Trouble

Little fear of a war between the United States and Japan is expressed by George Okamoto and Frank Morimytseu, two Japanese of Kansas City who own a restaurant at Ninth street and State Line. They have been keeping in touch with the developments of the trouble in California and other Pacific coast states.

It is only a war in the newspapers," said Okamoto yesterday afternoon. "The Japanese and the United States are friends and friends do not fight. Japan is not ready for a war, even if she wanted one. The people of Japan are not going to become greatly offended by what one state has done. They will not hold the whole country responsible for the acts of one state's legislators.

"In the first place, there will be no war between the two countries because there is no cause which has yet been seen. The bill before the California legislature would exclude the Japanese from the public schools cannot become a law. That is the only thing which the newspapers of this country can base a cause for war upon. As to the feeling in Japan upon the question, those high in authority and the higher class of people do not consider it possible. It is the lower, laboring class which is trying to stir up war and which is very much excited over the reports which come from the United States.


"We think nothing of the fact that militia is gathering in California, nor do we think that the fleet in the Pacific is to be used against our country. A little fuss don't mean a fight. Of course, our people are keeping their eyes and ears open and their mouths are shut."

Morimytseu agrees with his associate in regard to the probability of war, calling it all newspaper rot.

"Japan hasn't the resources for war at this time," said he; "she has not recovered from the losses of the Russian war either financially or sociologically. Japan wants peace and is going to keep it as long as she can possibly do so. President Roosevelt is with us and is trying to keep down the disturbance in California. Our people do not want war and it's foolish to talk about such a possibility."

Labels: , , ,

December 2, 1908





Cold Snap Made Plumbers' Fingers
Stiff in the Gas Belt, and They
Couldn't Connect Pipes, Etc.
Gas Lakes Reported Frozen.

During supper hour last evening, and for several hours before and after, the gas supply was poor. There was no other name for it -- poor. In the northeast portion of the city and in the eastern and southern parts there are complaints of almost no gas at all and people had to go to bed to keep warm. The gas lacked both in heat unites and illuminating power, and in most households it was found necessary to turn on the furnaces to their full capacity to get any warmth at all.

One peculiarity noted by many a sh ivering, anxious basement watcher was that the meters seemed to measure just as much imaginary gas while there was little gas or no gas, as they did on nights when there was enough to warm the rooms and make light sufficient to read a paper.

"We're not getting the gas from the fields, that's the trouble,' was the satisfaction consumers got from the gas company. "The sudden change in the temperature caught them unprepared in the fields, and they have been necessarily slow in connecting up additional wells with the pupmps. This will be all attended to in the morning, and there will be no more trouble this winter."


Consumers recalled having heard similar statements last winter when the gas supply failed every time the thermometer registered below the freezing point, and they were not prepared for a like excuse for yesterday's shortage of gas in view of the rosy tales carried home by the city officials who recently visited the fields, the solemn assurances of an abundance of the product there and the extra improvements that had been put in for getting it to consumers in Kansas City.

Little by little the gauges at the reducing station, Thirty-ninth and State Line, where the gas from the flow lines from the gas fields connect with the city's distributing mains, showed spells of sinking yesterday, indicating a lack of gas pressure. As the hours wore on and the kitchen ranges and lights were turned on, the symptoms became alarming. Marked depression, slow pulse, difficult respiration, and all indications of a moribund patient alarmed everybody but the doctor. He was accustomed to it, having seen many a household darkened in the full years of his experience. The normal pressure is forty-five pounds at the reducing station. At 7:30 o'clock last night it was twenty-three. It didn't look like the patient would live until morning. It was twenty-three. Just a coincidence. Nothing more. Twenty-three.

In some high altitude there was no gas at all, and there were many complaints.


Every home in Kansas City dependent on gas for heat and illumination was effected, and during the early hours of the evening the office of The Journal was besieged with inquiries as to the cause of the weak supply. Mayor Thomas T. Crittenden, Jr., also put in some busy hours telling people over the telephone that he couldn't account for the slump, and repeated what the gas company told him abot the supply being frozen over, the lakes of gas being frozen over, or some such thing, in the gas fields.

"It's fierce," said the mayor shortly after 8 o'clock. "In the last two hours I've had fifty complaints over the telephone about shortage of gas. The complaints come from every part of the city, and vary from no gas at all to a scanty supply for illumination and heat. The high points northeast and east seem to be the principal sufferers. I can't understand it. There is plenty of gas in the fields, and plenty of power to deliver it to Kansas City, if it were not for the fact that the gauges at the intake, or reduction station at Thirty-ninth and State Line indicate a meager supply from the gas fields. I would feel disposed to blame today's and tonight's troubles to local conditions, or, to be more explicit, to failure on the part of the distributing company to install proper facilities for the delivery of the gas.

Labels: , , , , ,

October 22, 1908



To Save Her Mother, Mary Great-
house Ran Between Her and
Her Father and Was Shot.
She may Recover.
Perry Greathouse and Mary Greathouse:  Principals in the Armourdale Tragedy.

Talk of lynching in Armourdale yesterday afternoon caused Sergeant Patrick Lyons of No. 3 police station to order the removal of Perry Greathouse, an ex-police officer who shot his daughter earlier in the day, to the county jail in Kansas City, Kas. There he will be held awaiting the death or recovery of his innocent victim.

Physicians attending Mary Greathouse at Bethany hospital say her youth is in her favor and that the bullet which entered her left side below the heart took a course least likely to produce fatal results.

The story of Greathouse's deed produced a sensation in Armourdale.

According to the statement of Mrs. Emma Greatouse, his wife, her husband had not been home in two days when the shooting occurred at 11:30 o'clock yesterday forenoon. He had been seen hanging around the state line saloons drunk, had bullied one man and officers had gone to the home of Mrs. George Coleman, 67 Central avenue, to arrest him, but were persuaded away by Mrs. Coleman, a distant relative of the Greathouses.

Monday he drew his pay as merchant policeman, but when he appeared at his home, 816 South Pyle street, he was very much intoxicated and with only a few dollars with him.


In the sitting room of the home, Mrs. Greathouse asked her husband to share the remnant of his salary with his family and upbraided him for his debauch. After fumbling in an uncertain manner through his clothes he produced $4 and laid it down on the center table. The sum did not satisfy Mrs. Greathose but she took a dollar from the pile of change and went down town to make a few purchases.

On the street corner she was met by Greathouse, who followed her home again, she says, misusing her and in the sitting room the words merged into a quarrel and Greathouse buckled on his revolver and started to mount the stairs to his room.

Well, I have stood all of your abuse I am going to, and I'm going to put you behind bars," called out Mrs. Greathouse, opening the outside door as if to go in search of an officer. Then she glanced backwards and saw the barrel of her husband's revolver leveled at her.

"Don't shoot --" she started to say, but 17-year-old Mary saw the movement, realized the danger and thrust herself in the way in a heroic attempt to save her mother. After the report of the revolver was heard she was seen by neighbors to stagger out of the door and sit down in a faint on the front steps.


According to the mother's story, Greathouse, when told that he had shot and probably fatally wounded his child, calmly replaced the weapon in its holster, with the remark:

"She ain't hurt. You know it was you that did the shooting, anyway, and you needn't try to lay it all on me." He then picked the child up in his arms and carried her into the house. By this time she was bleeding.

"Well, I have shot her and here goes for me," he suddenly exclaimed, seeing the blood. He then tried to place the muzzle of the revolver to his head, but Willie, his oldest son, wrested it away from him and gave it to his mother, who ran with it, depositing it within the open window of a neighboring house.

Greathouse was taken by officers to the No. 3 police station, where he was kept until 4:30 o'clock. Mary was placed in an emergency ambulance and transferred to Bethany hospital. As she was lifted into the stretcher she said:

"I am awfully glad it was me instead of mamma. She mustn't live with father again or he'll kill her, too."

In a cell at the police station Greathouse walked back and forth, babbling. Policemen kept him informed as to the condition of his daughter.

"It was all a mistake, an awful mistake," he kept saying. "Mary was my favorite. I'd kill anyone who would say a word against her. She must get well. She must get well.

Perry Greathouse was a member of the Kansas City, Kas., force nearly nine years. He has lately be employed by the merchants of Armourdale to protect stores along Osage avenue at night. He was deputy street commissioner under Mayor T. B. Gilbert's administration and was a capable officer.

Mary works for the Loose-Wiles Cracker Company in the West Bottoms. Yesterday she was excused from her duties at the factory to attend the funeral of a relative.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

September 25, 1908


Burdened by Flesh Miss Knox Be-
comes a Ward of the City.

"Suffering from an abundance of superfluous adipose tissue."

This is the diagnosis of the emergency hospital physicians in the case of Miss Mary Knox, 44 years old, five feet five inches tall, weighing 350 pounds. Miss Knox lives alone near St. Louis avenue and the State Line.

The woman's case was brought to the attention of the police at No. 2 station late yesterday afternoon. It was said that she was helpless, penniless and really a fit subject for the county home. The patrol wagon took Miss Knox to the emergency hospital, where, after a thorough examination, the foregoing diagnosis was agreed upon.

"It is an odd case," said Dr. W. L. Gist. "Miss Knox is too fat to walk without assistance, as she would fall if she encountered the least obstruction. Then when she is down she can't arise without help. The police say neighbors have been caring for the helpless woman for some time."

Her case will be referred to the Humane Society today and an effort made to get her in the county home. Ten years ago Miss Knox is said to have been as lithe and slender as a gazelle. When she began to take on flesh, no manner of dieting made any difference; she was destined to become very corpulent, and very corpulent she did become.

"This is one thing that scientists have not solved," said Dr. Gist. "People who are destined to be fat will gain weight in spite of all one can do, and, on the other hand, the slim tribe will remain shadows on a diet of fat-producing foods."

Labels: , , , , , ,

August 4, 1908


One-Legged Man Amuses Himself by
Shooting Into a Crowd.

A one-legged man called Toby, got into a fracas in the saloon of Edward Powers at Southwest boulevard and State Line last night, and shot into the crowd with a revolver evidently loaded with blanks, for he did not damage. Then he hobbled over the state line and was safe from the Missouri police. A two-legged man, Wade Smith, was not so fortunate. Someone in the crowd hit Smith as he was trying to make his getaway with the crowd and he started in to lick the bunch. He got the worst of it, and in addition was arrested and taken to the Southwest boulevard police station and locked up. A charge of disturbing the peace will be put against him in police court this morning.

Labels: , , ,

March 10, 1908


So Giles Haynes Beat His Wife -- She
Is Suing for Divorce.

One of the reasons given in a petition in the district court in Kansas City, Kas., by Rosa Haynes against Giles Haynes, for divorce, is that the defendant cruelly beat the plaintiff because she refused to go to the state line and get him a bucket of beer. Mrs. Haynes also charges her husband with destroying her photographs, breaking up the dishes and furniture, and cutting up her clothing.

The other mismated couples applied to the court for legal separation. Emma Fletcher asks for a divorce from Ezra; Belle Hazelbridge from George; and Goldie G. Griffin from Oliver.

Labels: , , , ,

January 19, 1908


And That Fact Saved Iowa Man's
Life on "L" Road.

Scott Lewis, who says his home is at Osceola, Ia., was struck by a car on the "L" road at the State line station last night at about 9 o'clock, sustaining serious injuries. He had been taking in the "Wet Block" just east of the State line on the Missouri side and was standing on the elevated structure waiting for a car when the accident occurred. He was removed to No. 1 police station in Kansas City, Kas., where his injuries were dressed by Police Surgeon Tenney.

While Lewis's injuries, which consist of several wounds on the head, are not considered dangerous, his escape from instant death is regarded almost miraculous. The car struck him while he was standing on the trestle which is about thirty feet above the street level. He lodged between the ties.

Labels: , , , ,

January 10, 1908


Real Hard Luck Story That Made
Police Judge Relent.

For a real hard luck story Tim Higgins, who said that was not his name, took the prize in police court yesterday. Here's the story:

"Yer honor, I'll admit that I was drinkin'. I was down on the 'wet' block next to State Line, where every door's a saloon but a couple. I live just around the corner on James street in Kansas, but come across the line for me drink. The Missouri officer got me first and, not wantin' to appear in court fro a drunk, he takes me to the line, gives me a wallop wit his club and sends me over. Once over th' line I loses me way and butts into a Kansas copper. I guess he didn't want to appear in court, either, for he hustles me to th' line again and, with a side swipe, sends me clean over into Missouri.

"By that time was complete turned around, and who should I meet but the big bull who thrown me into Kansas. 'What are ye doin' here?' says he, and he makes a center rush for me, and I'm in Kansas again. Thinkin' I'd be wise and still get home, I made a detour fer a side street. I was makin' good time in the dark street when someone says, 'Halt, ye there!" I did, an' by the saints it was a bluecoat. Witout as much as askin' me where I was goin' he puts me back into Missouri.

"I don't know how many times I was juggled from one state to another, but I know it made me head swim. Finally, early this mornin' the big Missouri copper finds me walkin' east, I guess -- I'd just been transferred to this state again, I know. He gets sore, sends for the wagon and here I am. I belong in Kansas and am anxious to get there."

"I think you've had yours, all right," said Judge Kyle, "back to Kansas."

Labels: , , , , ,

July 5, 1907


Jospeh Czski Receives Only Slight
Injuries, However.

Joseph Czski, a Croatian, 200 South Mill street, Kansas City, Kas., fell through the "L" road bridge near Reynolds avenue last night at about 9:30 o'clock. Although he struck the pavement twenty feet below on his head and shoulders, he sustained only sight injuries, the worst being a cut on the head. Report was sent in to No. 2 police station and Assistant Surgeon D. E. Smith fixed up Czski's bruises so he was able to come home unassisted. Czski says he had just returned from Chicago, where he has been employed, and that he had been down to a saloon on the State line for a few drinks.

"I was a little uncertain in my steps and put my foot down in the wrong place," he said.

Labels: , , , , , ,

April 5, 1907



Wife Knew of the Note, but for a
Time No One Suspected That
Morphine Had Been Taken
-- Saloonkeeper Here Thirty
Two Years.

Kansas City Mo, March 29, 1907.
I was born August 15, 1851 and came to America in 1870. I owe $500, $300 to one man and $200 to another. Goodby to my sister. Goodby to my nephews and nieces. I belong to four societies and want two pallbearers from each society. I want to be buried north of the monument and I want to lie in the vault for three months.

If not admitted to the church, I want my funeral held at 2 o'clock from my home. Goodby my son. Be good to your mother. I do not wish any postmortem. I dictate this at my own free will. It is written by ex-Police Judge McAuley, March 29. I want my name inscribed on the monument.

If admitted to the church I desire high mass. Goodby to all my
friends. I desire the $500 I owe to be paid out of my insurance. Signed by
rubber-stamp. DANIEL SPILLANE.

Daniel Spillane, for thirty-four years a resident of Kansas City, thirty-two years of which time he was in the saloon business, called on T. B. McAuley, a former police judge, on March 29, and dictated the foregoing note. Mr. Spillane could not write. In business he used a rubber stamp. Yesterday afternoon while left at home alone for a time he took the greater part of one-eighth ounce bottle of sulphate of morphine. He must have taken it between noon and 1 p. m. He died at 3:30 at his residence, 2639 Brooklyn avenue.

Mrs. B. Spillane, his wife, returned home from a shopping tour about 1 o'clock and found her husband very ill but rational. As the family knew of the note which had been dictated last Friday, she asked if he had taken anything.

"I am just tired out," he told the wife, "completely prostrated, but nothing more."

Mrs. Spillane at once called her son, Timothy Spillane, from his home at 1214 Cherry street, telling him that his father was very ill and asking him to come out at once. Young Spillane left, but, not realizing what had occurred, took no physician with him. Even when he got there the father was still conscious and apparently rational. The son called Dr. Henry L. Martin, 601 East Twelfth street, who has an office over the saloon owned by Timothy Spillane.

"When the doctor came into the room," said the son, "father recognized him and said, 'Doctor, try to save me, will you?' He died fifteen minutes later, however, though everything was done for him."

When Mr. Spillane went to Judge McAuley to get him to write the note which was left yesterday he asked, "Do you know who I am?" When told that he was known, Judge McAuley was requested to write as was dictated to him. When he had finished Mr. Spillane drew forth a rubber stamp and signed his name with it. Judge McAuley at once looked up the son, Timothy, and told him what had occurred and advised him that the father be watched.

Members of the family said that Mr. Spillane had been ill and had taken an overdose of morphine by mistake.

"Father appeared to have been feeling badly lately," the son said, "and for that reason I tried to keep him with me as much as possible. He tended bar at my place, Twelfth and Cherry streets, for two hours in the morning, going home about noon. He did not seem to be any more melancholy than usual when he left my place."

Daniel Spillane was born in Ireland. He came to America in 1870 and to Kansas City three years later, remaining her ever since. At first he was in the bridge contracting business, but later entered the saloon business, continuing in that for thirty-two years. His first saloon was at Ninth street and State line in the early days and he had a garden and vaudeville in connection with it. His next location was at 9 West Ninth street.

From there he moved to Tenth and Main streets. The firm there was Spllane & O'Sullivan. When they dissolved partnership, Mr. Spillane opened at 1111 Grand avenue, which place he sold some months ago and opened at 1127 Grand avenue. At one time he was located on the corner of Twelfth street and Grand avenue. Mr. Spillane sold his saloon at 1127 Grand avenue two weeks ago and retired from active business. He leaves his widow, Mrs. B. Spillane; a son, Timothy A. Spillane; a sister, Mrs. Ellen Dwyer, and one brother, Timothy Spillane, who live s at Sixth and Holmes streets.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,


Get the Book
Vintage Kansas City Stories ~ Early 20th Century Americana as Immortalized in The Kansas City Journal
Kansas City Stories

Early Kansas City, Missouri

>>More KC Books<<

The History and Heritage of Vintage Kansas City in Books
Vintage Kansas
City Bookstore

Powered by Blogger

Vintage Kansas

Vintage Antique Classics ~ Vintage Music, Software, and more Time Travel Accessories

In association with
KC Web ~ The Ultimate Kansas City Internet Directory