Find Kansas City Antiques and Collectibles at the Vintage Kansas City Marketplace ~ Own a Piece of Old KC

Vintage Kansas



Old News
Headlines and Articles from The Kansas City Journal

Business Office...4000 Main
City Editor.....4001 Main
Society Editor....4002 Main

Two cents. Subscription Rates:  By carrier, per week, 10 cents; per month, 45 cents.  By mail, daily and Sunday, one month, 40 cents; three months, $1.00; six months, $2.00; one year, $4.00.  Sunday only, six months, 75 cents; one year, $1.50.  Weekly Journal, 25 cents one year.

Like Vintage Kansas City on Facebook

As We See 'Em ~ Caricatures of Prominent Kansas Cityans

The Isis Theatre ~ Kansas City, Missouri

The History of Fairmount Park

Claims of Cancer Cured by Dr. Bye in Vintage KC Missouri

Special Cut Prices ~ Always the Same

Blogging Fusion Blog Directory

January 28, 1910


Woman Believed Enemy Had
Schemed to Kill Her.

Much reading of the Swope mystery stories may have been the reason Mrs. Caroline Goble believed a scheme was on foot to poison her in her home, 1837 East Seventh street.

Mrs. Goble went to the office of Daniel Hawells, assistant city attorney, yesterday, carrying with her seven samples of powder she believed to be some deadly drug, found near her water cooler.

"I am just sure an enemy I know of is trying to kill me like they say Colonel Swope was killed," she declared.

The samples or exhibits were carefully preserved by the attorney and examined by Dr. Walter M. Cross, city chemist. Dr. Cross noticed a lump of "poison" larger than the rest with some paint on it. He tasted it and found lime.

When the anxious Mrs. Goble returned to the city attorney's office to learn the result of the test she was told that the powder was only plaster dust sifted from a small hole in the kalsomine on the ceiling.

Labels: , , ,

December 11, 1909


Man Claiming to Be Policeman
Wanted to Search House, Escapes.

When William Peterson, 9 East Seventh street, answered a knock at his door last night he was confronted by a man announcing himself a policeman and demanding the privilege of searching the house. Peterson asked for credentials and when they were not forthcoming he denied the man entrance.

At that juncture the alleged policeman drew a revolver and fired, two bullets piercing Peterson's right thigh and another shattering the thumb on the right hand. The assailant then fled. While making an effort to run on a slippery pavement he was seen by William Jones, proprietor of a rooming house across the street, to fall down and roll in the slush. He has not been arrested. Peterson was taken to the emergency hospital and treated.

Labels: , , ,

July 4, 1909



Three Story Structure at Seventh
and Walnut Will Contain Ten
Stores and Hotel -- Im-
provement Plans.
Proposed Midland Arcade Building.

The rejuvenation of the North End will begin next month, when work upon the Midland Arcade building will be started. The building, owned by Godfrey A. Jones and the Berlau brothers, will be situated at the northeast corner of Seventh and Walnut streets. It will be an office building and hotel combined. The location is at the entrance to the North End, and Mr. Jones makes it plain that it is an effort to bring into public realization the value of the North End as a business location.

It is also given out that the new Midland Arcade building will be only the first of similar improvements in the locality. The North End is the location of the great produce market of Kansas City, and the produce houses are becoming rapidly overcrowded.

The new building is to be three stories high, and constructed of brick, stone and stucco. The lower floor, which will be given over entirely to stores and an arcade, will be glass. The upper floors will be in the shape of an "L," with the north and east fronts facing the court and will be fitted up for a thoroughly modern European hotel, with outside rooms.

Merchants in the North End are enthusiastic concerning the improvement and all have asserted their willingness and desire to further the work begun by Mr. Jones and his associates. In the district which is now known as the North End, north of Eighth street, are the Hiest building, Water Works building, court house, Temple building and Temple block, Grand opera house, Gilliss theater, city hall, market square and many other places of business interest. The streets in that location are always as busy as any others in the retail district in Kansas City and, it is asserted, just as much money passes hands in business transactions in proportion to the area as does any other part of the city.

Labels: , , ,

July 3, 1909


Right From Harvest Fields, Man
Causes Panic on City Street.

Affected by the sun of the Kansas harvest fields, Lewis Wright of Paris, Ill., ran amuck at Seventh street and Grand avenue at 8:30 yesterday morning with a pocketknife, and began slashing passersby.

Jennie Rolfe, 23 years old, a clerk, was stabbed in the left arm. She lives at 3010 Dunham avenue. Wright knocked another woman down with a brick, and ran several other persons away. Thomas Craig, an engineer, 2325 Chelsea avenue, Kansas City, Kas., was stabbed on the left hand and left shoulder. He retorted by knocking his assailant down and taking the knife away from him. A police ambulance took Wright to the emergency hospital.

When he was revived by Dr. W. L. Gist, Wright said that he could remember nothing of what had occurred, except that he thought someone had stabbed him in the leg. He said that he had been prostrated by the heat in the harvest fields. He thinks he is married.

Labels: , , , , , ,

October 26, 1908


Perhaps That's Why So Many Clothes
Were Stolen Last Week.

Overcoats and winter clothes were the most important articles stolen during the last week. The cold rains made it necessary for the thieves to dress warmer and they proceeded to get the clothes. The heaviest loser was the Paris store, 312 East Twelfth street, which was entered Saturday night. The goods reported stolen included two hats worth $70, and nineteen large plumes, total value, $226. A reward of $25 is offered for the recovery of the plumes.

Glazers' tools were stolen from the Baltimore hotel Saturday afternoon. An Eskimo dog was reported stolen Saturday from Mrs. A. B. Hunt, 3235 East Seventh street. Arthur Dunlap reported to the police yesterday that a friend took a horn belonging to him and failed to return it. Six pairs of pants were stolen from the store of H. Segelbohm & Co., 1307 Main street. An overcoat and umbrella was stolen by a sneak thief from C. T. Gable, while he was at t he Meridith apartments. A set of double harness was stolen from the barn of A. B. Shumway, 1007 East Twelfth street. Lead pipe thieves made their appearance Saturday after a brief period of rest. They cut the pipe out of a new building at 1525 Cherry street. W. A. Robertson, Leavenworth, Kas., reported that a serge suit was stolen from his room, 1100 East Nineteenth street. Five dollars in one of the pockets went along with the pants.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

October 1, 1908


If He Has Fallen Heir to Western
Union Telegraph Building.

Rumor has it that James M. Piper, who died suddenly Monday afternoon, had left that part of his estate which comprises the building now occupied by the Western Union Telegraph Company, Seventh and Main streets, James F. TenEyke, the engineer and janitor of the building. Mr. TenEyke has heard nothing which would lead him to believe that such is the case, and Mrs. Piper stated that, though the will of her husband had not been opened, she had been given to understand that all of his property had been left to her.

Mr. TenEyke has been the engineer at the Western Union building for twenty years. He and his employer were always close friends, TenEyke having made a lasting impression upon Mr. Piper at the time he was being employed to take charge of the machinery. A sort of brotherly affection grew up between the men, and the were together much of the time.

Last night Mr. TenEyke said that if it were true that Mr. Piper had given him the Western Union building, it would make no change in his plans for the future. He will continue in his work at the building and still live in the flat of two rooms at 608 Holmes street, alone.

In the early '70s Mr. TenEyke served as a government scout in the wild Western country. He continued in that service until three months after the Custer massacre, when he took up engineering. He was then employed by the old steamboat company whose ships piled up and down the Missouri.

Labels: , , , ,

September 11, 1908


For First Time in Memory of the
Captain in Charge There.

For one hour, between 4 and 5 o'clock yesterday afternoon, the holdover at police headquarters was empty and the doors unlocked and opened wide. Never before in the memory of Captain Walter Whitsett, in charge at the station, has such a thing happened, and the captain was both joyful and sad.

The large cell rooms had a deserted and almost dejected appearance themselves. Lying on the floor of one of the cells was a battered derby hat, brown once, but black now. Close by it lay two paper bags which contained some remnants of sandwiches, and in another cell was one old shoe pointing towards the open door.

The jailer picked up a broom and with a quick stroke, brushed all of the trash out into the corridor and the place made neat, if not clean, for the next batch of prisoners.

As the officers on day duty stepped into the station to report, they were told of the wonderful happenings, and straightway endeavored to find someone to arrest, even if it was only a plain drunk. Officer Robert Hoskins was the lucky man, for just as his watch was pointing to five minutes of 5 o'clock, he heard a woman's screams come from a house at 9 East Seventh street. Upon investigation he found a man, drunk and disturbing the peace.

Exultantly the patrolman marched his prisoner to the nearest call box and summoned the patrol wagon. When it arrived he asked the driver to make the trip to the station as quickly as possible, for there was a chance that his was the first arrest since the jail cleaning. And so it was. At 5 o'clock the arrested man had been books as "drunk and disturbing the peace" under the name of Cole McCormack. After that the officers began bringing prisoners in two at a time, until the old holdover resumed its normal appearance and the inmates, rejoicing over the neatness of the place, whistled and sang and made music on frenchharps to their hearts' content, and the dismay of the police officers.

Labels: , , , , ,

June 24, 1908



Two Husbands Are Worrying Two
Faithful Wives and Piling Up
Telephone Bills by Remain-
ing Away From Home.

Mrs. Susie Poser called police headquarters by telephone from Tulsa, Ok., yesterday and asked that her husband, S. Poser, here for three weeks, be sought by the police. He is a plasterer, 30 years old, 5 feet 10 inches tall and weighs 145 pounds. He has light hair, blue eyes and fair complexion. Has been known to drink.

The mother of Samuel Keller, 17 years old, 913 Oak street, said her boy had left home Sunday morning and had not returned.

This report was among the lot of the missing: "Look out for George Wiley, 12 years old, blue overalls, blue blouse, barefooted and red-headed. Left home last Friday and not heard from since. Notify his mother at Independence avenue and Charlotte street, next to drug store."

Probably the most important person the police were asked to find, yesterday, on account of the fact that he was known to have had $868 and some valuable jewelry with him, was Frank Cook of Independence, Kas. His wife telephoned here and asked that he be located by the police.

Last Friday night Cook entered a hack at Fifth street and Grand avenue and asked to be driven to the Union depot to catch a 9 p. m. train. It was late and the train was missed.

"Bud" Landis, the driver, knew that Cook had with him a large sum of money. He drove slowly back uptown and at Seventh and Wyandotte streets called the attention of Patrolman J. F. Murphy and J. F. Brice, to the man in his hack. Cook was asleep. He had been drinking.

When searched at police headquarters, where he was booked as a "safe keeper," he was found to have $808, a valuable gold watch and chain and other jewelry. Cook was released Saturday morning and his money and jewelry returned to him. The missing man is 35 years old, 5 feet 7 inches tall, weighs about 140 pounds, has light hair, blue eyes and fair complexion. His wife said he might be found in a sanitarium.

A doctor at 1306 Garfield avenue asked that the police be on the lookout for W. H. Madden, a patient who took French leave. The doctor said that Madden was demented. He wanted the man detained until he could be notified.

Bert Murray, a "patient" at the city workhouse, while working in the barn there Sunday concluded to leave. He did leave. As his time is by no means up, Patrick O'Hearn, superintendent of that institution, asks the police to locate Murray and return him, not to the barn, but to the workhouse proper.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

February 29, 1908



But the Congregation Tefares Israel
Declares He Has Signified His
Willingness to Let Sunday
Performance Proceed.

Although the Jews of the Tefares Israel congregation, who are to present "De Boba Yochne," a dramatic opera in the Shubert theater Sunday evening, March 8, claim that they have a permit from Judge W. H. Wallace guaranteeing that they shall not be arrested or indicted. Judge Wallace says he has made no decision in the matter.

"First time I ever heard of Tefares Israel," the judge replied to a questioner. "Didn't know they were going to give a show in the Shubert theater on Sunday. I cannot say what I shall do, because I never cross bridges until I come to them."

When word of the judge's indecision was brought to a dozen Jews who were in M. Herowitz's meat market at 509 Independence avenue yesterday evening, there was a great shaking of heads. The men, all well along in years and heavily bearded, had been busy studying the lines they will have to speak in the play for it is to be a home talent performance. A man who was reading from a grayish book, grew silent and Herowitz, who was standing behind his chopping block humming the lines of a song he is to sing, snapped his jaws together. Not a word was spoken for two minutes. Then Herowitz filled and lighted his pipe and stepped from behind his counter. He took the pipe from his lips and spoke slowly through his beard:

"You bring us news. I do not understand. The judge has given us a permit, but we cannot be sure what he may yet do."


"Yes, we will charge for tickets, but we will use the money to furnish a house of worship for our congregation. We are not rich people and we do not desire to beg. Why should we not give our time and our voices for this drama? We hurt no one, and we furnish our synagogue."

Everyone paid respectful silence for a full minute after Herowitz quit speaking, for he is assistant director of the proposed performance and his daughter is to be leading lady. At last another black-bearded man spoke:

"It is the last few weeks that we bought the church at Tracy and Seventh. It is small but a nice house. We want money to furnish it for a synagogue. We cannot give the opera on Saturday, for that is our Sabbath, and we take Sunday because many of us cannot open our shops on that day because of the court."


As the reporter took his leave, five or six of the bearded men followed to the door.

"I beg of you, kindly," two or three of them said, "not to write anything to make the court go back on his word. We want the money for our synagogue."

The play, "De Boba Yochna," which the Tefares Israel Jews are rehearsing, and for which their wives and daughters are making many brightly colored gowns and robes, is a five-act drama. For fear, though, that those who attend may not receive their money's worth, half a dozen songs are to be sung by the sweetest voices of the congregation during the intermissions between the five acts.

Every word spoken will be in Hebrew. Even the judge, who closed sacred concerts in the Willis Wood theater and shut up A. Judah's playhouse on Sundays, should wish to indict the congregation of Tefares Israel, he would have to send interpreters with his deputy marshals in order to secure any evidence that a play, and not a son and prayer service, is in progress.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

January 21, 1908


And Mrs. Mary E. Brown Tried to
End Her Life With Poison.

More than a week ago Silas Brown, a driver for the American Butter Company, 540 Walnut street, left his wife, Mary E. Brown, and went to live with his mother at Seventh and Oak streets, taking with him a 2-year-old adopted boy. The wife continued living alone at 1214 East Eighth street, pining for the child. Last night she visited her husband and his mother, and begged them to let her have the boy . It is said they received her coldly, and refused her request.

Returning to her home Mrs. Brown took poison, and notified a friend of her act. She was removed to emergency hospital, where the physicians worked over her until 1 o'clock this morning, at which time she revived sufficiently to tell them what drove her to the attempt upon her life. She did not say w hat kind of poison she had taken, but the doctors believed it to be strychnine. It is thought that she will recover.

Mrs. Brown in 23 years of age, and comely.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

November 6, 1907

Woman Tells How it Feels to Expect to Die.

Mrs. Ora Shugart, the young woman who attempted suicide by taking cloroform yesterday at the Sexton hotel, was removed from the emergency hospital this morning to the home of her grandmother, Mrs. H. A. Snyder, at 2010 East Seventh street. She will recover.

Mrs. Shugart and a man giving the name of M. L. Wells registered at the Sexton hotel as husband and wife last Monday night. She was found unconscious in her room yesterday afternoon.

"Wells was jealous of another friend of mine," Mrs. Shugart said this morning, "and he threatened to kill me. He left the room saying he was going after a revolver. I thought I would kill myself before he had a chance to do so.

"I sent a bellboy out for an ounce of chloroform, saying I wished to use it to clean my kid gloves.

"After I took the poison I combed my hair, polished my finger nails and stood around and waited to see what it was going to do. I took the poison about 10:30 o'clock; it was about noon when I became unconscious."

Mrs. Shugart hadn't heard from Wells this morning.

Labels: , , , ,

August 14, 1907





Can't Remember Whether Husband
Is Dead, or if She Is Parted
From Him -- She Remained
Three Days in Mid-
land Flats.

With her mind a total blank regarding what transpired prior to yesterday morning, when she awakened in the Midland flats, Seventh and Walnut streets, forgetful of her name or those of her two little children accompanying her, a woman entered police headquarters last evening, and explained to Lieutenant Walter Whitsett her condition.

"I do not know what has come over me," she said to the lieutenant. "All that I can remember is of getting up this morning in the Midland flats, and reading a bell call card. I cannot recall my own name, or those of my children or husband, and I don't know where I live. I could not even remember where I was this morning until I inquired. I don't know how long I have been here, but was told that I went to the Midland flats three days ago."

The woman and her children were nicely dressed, and she possessed a manner and bearing of refinement and culture. The younger of the children is an infant, while the older, a boy, is about 3 years old.


The woman and children were taken to the Helping Hand institute, where through questioning it was learned from the boy that his name is Robert Allen Morrissy. While the boy was being questioned as to his identity, the mother listened attentively.

When the child lisped his name, the mother repeated it to herself, thoughtfully.

"He says his name is Robert Allen Morrissy, but for the life of me I cannot recall such a name," the mother explained. "I know both of the children are mine, but I kinow nothing more about them. I know that I have been married, but cannot say whether my husband is living or dead. I haven't the lleast idea of my own name, but as the boy said his name is Morrissy, that must be mine as well. The name Mary sounds familiar to me, as does the word Boston. I remember that I have always lived in a large city, but I have no idea whether it was Boston or not."

The woman is evidently an Easterner, as inferred from her manner of speech, and is apparently no more than 25 years old.

"I do not know how old I am," she explained, when asked her age, "but I believe that I will be 30 years old in October."

She is slightly above average height, slender, weighing 130 pounds, has brouw hair and eyes and bears an intelliigent facial expression. She dresses tastily in a suit of white mull, while the little boy, a golden curly headed youngster, wears a neat sailor suit of dark blue.


The only evidence that has been found that might lead up to the establishment of their identity is two baggage checks issued at the Union station in Buffalo over the Lake Shore & Southern Michigan railway for Cleveland. It is supposed that the wonal's memory became a blank shortly after she left Buffalo, as the baggage checks were never presented at Cleveland for her effects. A station check over an Eastern interurban line out of Boston to Lynn, Mass., was also found in a hand satchel she had left at the Midland flats.

F. H. Ream, of the Helping Hand institute, who called at the Midland flats last night to get the wooman's satchel, found a card bearing the name of Mrs. A. E. Palmateer, 912 Chestnut street, Terra Haute, Ind. The woman was unable to recall ever having known a woman by that name, but suggested that she might have met her on the train.

An effort was made last night to send a message to the authorities in Boston in hopes of learning if the woman lives there.


Mrs. Minnie Brody, in charge of the Midland flats, said last night that the woman applied there for lodgings for herself and children three days ago. She did not register, but in the course of a conversation, confided with Mrs. Brody that she was separated from her husband, and had her own living to make. She paid rent for her room each night. Last night the woman had no money.

Labels: , , , , ,

April 28, 1907



Father Gives Consent and She Returns to Home
Where She Was Marguerite Jackels--
Ready to Get a Divorce,
She Says.

Less than ten days of married life proved to Mr. and Mrs. Walter D. Smith, 20 and 19 years old, respectively, that the path of matrimony may e a thorny one. Mrs. Smith, formerly Miss Marguerite Jackles, the daughter of Charles F. Jackels, 3653 Harrison, left the roof of her mother-in-law, 1809 East Seventh street, last Thursday evening and returned to the home of her parents, where she declares she will remain.

The marriage of the two, which, in reality, was an elopement, a week ago last Wednesday afternoon, created considerable interest on account of aid given them by young Smith's father, in the face of strong objections made by the young woman's parents.

The young woman was a student of Miss Bigelow's private school, and on the date of her elopement attended the morning session. Walter Smith, who is the son of Sigel D. Smith, a cigar salesman, had left Central high school in January. The two had been sweethearts since childhood, but several months before their elopement the Jackels had forbade him coming to their home. On the day of their marriage the couple met and went to the court house, where the elder Smith was waiting. After procuring the license, a drive to the home of Rev. George H. Combs, pastor of the Independence Boulevard Christian church, was made, and in the presence of the father and mother of young Smith the knot was tied. Mr. Jackels, who is a traveling salesman, was away at the time, but when Mrs. Jackels heard of the marriage, three hours after it had taken place, she hurried to police headquarters to enlist the services of the police in helping her to locate the two. She heard that they were at the Kupper hotel, and there she rushed, to find that they had taken dinner there and gone. There was nothing for her to do then but to send a telegram to her husband. This was done, and the father of the girl hurried back to Kansas City. The couple had gone to the home of young Smith's parents to live, and word was sent by the father to his daughter that he would never consent to his son-in-law entering his home, but for her the latchstring would always hang on the outside.

For several days there was not a ruffle to mar the happiness of the two, but about the fourth day the young bride began to show discontent. The Smiths did all in their power to make surroundings pleasant for her, but to no avail. Last Monday she called up her parents by telephone, and asked her father if she might return home and bring her husband.

The reply was firmly in the negative, the father repeating his edict against young Smith ever entering his home. Wednesday she called her father up again and asked if she could return home, this time alone.

"I want to come home so badly, father," she pleaded. "I am sorry I did it. I wish I hadn't got married."

"Marguerite, I am sorry, too," replied the father, "but live with him a year, and then if you want to, come back you may."

Left alone Thursday morning by her husband, the girl brooded over her troubles, and, at last, declaring that she could no longer stand it, for the third time called up her father.

"Please let me come now," she said appealingly. "Let me get a divorce. I cannot stand this any longer."

The father finally gave in to his daughter's pleadings, and, accordingly to arrangements she met her father at the home of a girl friend, and the two returned home together.

"I am so happy to get back to my home," she declared. "It seems so good to have my mamma and papa, and be here right in my own home. I don't see whatever possessed me to do as I did. I will ever leave it again. I will never return to my husband under any circumstances."

Mr. Jackels said last night that so long as his daughter was happy he was satisfied with conditions.

"Of course, the marriage of my daughter was an unfortunate occurrence," he said. "it was a misstep on her part, but we are all ready to forgive her. Nothing has been decided as to what further will be done regarding obtaining a legal separation, but Marguerite will go back to school and complete her education. However, she will not go to school again in Kansas City. We had planned before to send her away to school next year and this former plan will be carried out."

Young Smith was out of the city last night. He went away Friday morning on business, according to his father, but will return within a few days.

"My son's wife received the best kind of treatment at our house," said Mr. Smith. "We treated her as if she were our own daughter and so far as her surroundings being made pleasant, everything possible was done by us to accomplish that end. Everything would have gone along nicely had not the influence of the girl's parents been brought so strongly to bear upon the young woman. Homesickness seized the girl."

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

April 7, 1907


Hicks Had Asked His Wife to Get His
Breakfast at 4:30 a. m.

Mrs. Geneva Hicks and her husband quarreled most of Friday night in their home at Seventh and Penn streets. At 4:30 yesterday morning he wanted her to get up and cook his breakfast. Then there was another little misunderstanding, and Mrs. Hicks refused. While in a melancholy mood over their troubles, Mrs. Hicks arose and drank an ounce of laudanum.

Dr. Ford B. Rogers arrived promptly with the ambulance and in a short while left Mrs. Hicks thoroughly reconciled to her husband. She said she was willing to cook at any old time now. She is 27 years old.

Labels: , , ,

April 1, 1907

William B. Thayer, of Emery, Bird, Thayer Dry Goods Copmany




Was Secretary and Treasurer of the
Emery, Bird, Thayer Dry Goods
Company -- Leaves Widow and One Son --
Funeral Not Arranged.

William B. Thayer, secretary and treasurer of the Emery, Bird, Thayer Dry Goods Company, died of pneumonia last night at 8:20 o'clock at the Thayer home, Forty-sixth street and Warwick boulevard. He had been ill for several weeks and for the past few days his friends and relatives had abandoned hope for his recovery. The end came peacefully.

Mr. Thayer had rested fairly well during the day, but those who have been constantly at his bedside realized that the end was only a matter of a short time. The illness which terminated in his death was contracted by him about three weeks ago. It first started from a slight cold which developed into pneumonia, necessitating an operation on his lungs for congestion. After the operation he seemed to temporarily improve and hope was entertained for his ultimate recovery. However, about a week ago he suffered a relapse and from that time he gradually became weaker. He was surrounded by his wife and son, a brother and a number of other relatives and friends at the time of his death.

Mr. Thayer was prominent in business circles in Kansas City. In 1901-1902 he was president of the Commercial Club. Prior to that, for two terms, he was vice president of that organization, and for two terms was president of the Kansas City Club.

He was 56 years old, and came to Kansas City thirty-six years ago from Kentucky. He secured a position in the mercantile establishment of Bullene, Moore & Emery, then at Seventh, Main, and Deleware streets. In 1884 he was taken into the firm becoming the junior member, the firm then being known as Bullene, Moore, Emery & Co. On November 1, 1895 the title became Emery, Bird, Thayer Dry Goods Company. Much of the success of this firm is credited to the sound business judgement of Mr. Thayer.

Aside from his gigantic buisness cares and responsibilities, Mr. Thayer had found time to attend to the duties of citizenship and always took an interest in education and the progress of Kansas City. He was a director and treasurer of Convention hall during the period of its reconstruction.

Mr. Thayer was born in Louisville, Ky., but with his paernts later moved to Danville, Ky., where he received his early education. He took the acedemic course at Central college and was graduated with honors.

About twenty-five years ago he married Miss Sallie Casey of Louisville, Ky., who, with a son, William B. Thayer, Jr. survives him.

Mr. Thayer was a thirty-third degree Mason, Scottish Rite. Funeral arrangements have not yet been completed.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

February 1, 1907

Ambrose Gallagher Brought Back
From Buffalo to Face Charge.

Detective Joseph Keshlear arrived here last night at 9:30 o'clock with Ambrose Gallagher, a prisoner for whom he went to Buffalo, N. Y. Gallagher is charged with embezlement. The complaint is sworn to by J. H. Lyman, general agent of the Chicago Great Western railway, and alleges that Gallagher stole $200 from that company in January, 1906, wile acting as cashier in their freight office at Seventh and Hickory streets. In telling of his travels after leaving here Gallagher said:

"I went straight to Omaha, Neb., from here on January 28, 1906, the day I left. After staying there a few days I went to Chicago where I found greater latitude for spending money. When the money was all gone I went ot Buffalo, N. Y., got a job right off with the New York Central about the middle of February and have been there ever since."

The prisoner says that he was bonded with a surety company and that he presumed it was the surety company which caused his arrest and will prosecute him.

Gallagher's wife, whom he has not seen since he left here, was at the police station Monday asking when he would be returned. He said he thought his wife was with "the folks in Kansas." Gallagher probably will be arraigned before a justice today.

Labels: , , , , , ,


Get the Book
Vintage Kansas City Stories ~ Early 20th Century Americana as Immortalized in The Kansas City Journal
Kansas City Stories

Early Kansas City, Missouri

The Son of Jesse James is Accused of a Train Robbery at Leeds ... Can he get a fair trial in Kansas City?
The Trial of Jesse James, Jr.

>>More KC Books<<

As an Amazon Associate this site may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

The History and Heritage of Vintage Kansas City in Books
Vintage Kansas
City Bookstore

Powered by Blogger

Vintage Kansas

Vintage Antique Classics ~ Vintage Music, Software, and more Time Travel Accessories

In association with
KC Web ~ The Ultimate Kansas City Internet Directory