Find Kansas City Antiques and Collectibles at the Vintage Kansas City Marketplace ~ Own a Piece of Old KC

Vintage Kansas



Old News
Headlines and Articles from The Kansas City Journal

Business Office...4000 Main
City Editor.....4001 Main
Society Editor....4002 Main

Two cents. Subscription Rates:  By carrier, per week, 10 cents; per month, 45 cents.  By mail, daily and Sunday, one month, 40 cents; three months, $1.00; six months, $2.00; one year, $4.00.  Sunday only, six months, 75 cents; one year, $1.50.  Weekly Journal, 25 cents one year.

Like Vintage Kansas City on Facebook

As We See 'Em ~ Caricatures of Prominent Kansas Cityans

The Isis Theatre ~ Kansas City, Missouri

The History of Fairmount Park

Claims of Cancer Cured by Dr. Bye in Vintage KC Missouri

Special Cut Prices ~ Always the Same

Blogging Fusion Blog Directory

January 25, 1910



Success in Southern Cities
and Negroes Approve,
Mr. Logan Said.

When an ordinance was introduced in the upper house of the council last night by Alderman J. E. Logan, making it obligatory on the Metropolitan Street Railway Company to operate cars for negro passengers, or to designate a part of the car for their use if they are to be carried with whites, there was a perceptible dodging of the aldermen to assume responsibility for having a hand in the legislation.

"I'd like to have the ordinance go to the streets, alleys and grades committee," proposed Alderman Logan.

"The streets, alleys and grades committee has all it can attend to now," replied Alderman Wirthman.

"Public improvements committee," suggested somebody.

"That's no place for such an ordinance," pleaded Alderman Baylis Steele. "It should go to the sanitary committee."


"The judiciary committee should pass on it," recommended Alderman W. C. Culbertson.

"Alderman Logan is chairman of that committee and he doesn't want it," volunteered Alderman W. A. Bunker.

The dodging began to get livelier.

"How would you like to have me appointed to a special committee, Alderman Logan?" interrogated President R. L. Gregory.

"That would suit me."

"Would you ask that I be put in the committee?"

"Yes, sir."

Gregory took an inventory of the aldermen.

"How do you stand on this proposition?" Gregory asked of Culbertson.

"As I have said before, it looks like a trouble-maker, but," Culbertson was saying when Gregory interrupted.


"You have killed yourself," he said, "and I appoint Alderman Thompson, Republican, and Alderman O'Malley, Democrat, and myself on that committee. I'm for the ordinance heart and soul. I think negroes and whites riding on street cars should be separated."

"I'd like to be excused from serving on the committee. I surrender to Alderman Logan," said Alderman Thompson.

"You don't want to serve?"

"No, sir."

"Well, I would like to have a Republican on the committee. How about you, Alderman Bunker?"

"I'm much obliged, but you'll have to excuse me," spoke up Bunker.

"How about you Alderman Tilhoff?"

"What is it you want to know?" innocently asked the alderman.

"We are going to put the negro where he belongs," answered Gregory.


"No, I do not wish to serve on the committee," promptly interposed Tillhoff.

"I'll put you on the committee, alderman," addressed Gregory to Alderman Logan. "I had hopes that we should make the committee non-partisan, but I can't get a Republican to serve, so, therefore, I'll draft Alderman Thompson on the committee." Thompson smiled, and did not object to being drafted.

The ordinance was drafted by Walter M. Lampkin, an associate city counselor. He explained its provisions, providing for separate cars for negroes, designation for them in the car if they ride with whites and placing authority in the conductor to seat passengers to fit conditions.

"Suppose passengers will have to stand. How about that?" asked Alderman Culbertson.


"That won't happen. We're going to have more cars," replied Counselor Lampkin.

"What's a passenger to do that wants to go forward to the lobby to smoke?"

"I had expected such questions, but I am not prepared to answer them."

"Have you prepared separate straps for negroes and whites?"

Lampkin appeared confused, and Alderman Logan came to his rescue.

"This is no joking matter," said Logan. "No political or racial prejudices should obtain. It is simply intended to facilitate the convenience and comfort of travel in the street cars. It is a success in Atlanta, Birmingham, Jacksonville, Mobile and other Southern cities. Whites as well as negroes vote it a welcome convenience, and if the ordinance is enforced negroes will be grateful recipients.


"The purport of the ordinance is the greatest good to the greatest numbers. they have no such law in Northern cities as they they have not the preponderance of negro population that Kansas City has."

Alderman Isaac Taylor asked Counselor Lampkin if the city had a legal right to pass such an ordinance when there is no similar law in force in the state.

Mr. Lampkin answered that his first impression was that the city did not have the right, but upon consulting authorities he found that the city, under the laws of police powers, has the right. He cited the Florida supreme court as giving the cities of that state the authority, under police powers, to enact laws similar to the one proposed for Kansas City, and said that the supreme court of Massachusetts had ruled that school directors could segregate white and negro children attending public schools.

"I can see where good results would obtain by the enforcement of such an ordinance, but it looks like a trouble breeder to me," observed Alderman Culbertson.


The ordinance is patterned after the law in force in Southern cities, and provides a fine of $25 for a person refusing to take a seat assigned him by the conductor or after refusal to leave the car for non-compliance of the rule. The company is subject to a fine of $500 if it fails to operate the separate cars, or comply with the required designation.

Should the ordinance become a law the New Orleans plan will be followed. The conductor will designate the seats in accordance with the prevailing conditions. It is proposed to have negroes occupy the front part of the car. Seats for their use will be appropriate labeled, and they must occupy no others. When their allotment of seats becomes filled, and standing in the aisles is necessary, they must keep within the limits of these seats. They must not seat themselves in seats reserved for whites, and any violation of this rule will necessitate the immediate retirement of the offender from the car or his arrest and punishment by a fine of $25 in the municipal court. The same rule applies to whites occupying reservations for negroes.

Labels: , , , , ,

August 18, 1909


So a Valuable Land Gift to the City
Was Declined.

"Where is the brick? Dig deep and you will surely find a nicely plated one," observed R. L. Gregory, chairman, at yesterday's meeting of the board of public works, when a communication was read offering to deed that city a strip of water front land forty feet wide west from Broadway to the state line.

"It is too liberal a gift," suggested Lynn Brooks.

"Mark it most respectfully declined and mail it back to the bounteous giver," recommended Wallace Love.

This will be done. A man who is creating a levy within the boundaries so described made the proposition, but the board concluded that should it accept it would mean an expense incurred by the city to provide protection for the other fellow's property.

Labels: , ,

March 3, 1909



"Those Who Believe It Not Right
Can Stay at Home" -- Failure
to Demonstrate Disap-
points Court Crowd.


"Will I stop the Salome dance?" Robert L. Gregory, acting mayor, repeated as he held the telephone receiver to his early yesterday afternoon. His answer was a decided "No."

When he was finished speaking over the telephone the acting mayor turned to the members of the board of public works, with whom he was meeting, and said, "Now what do you think of that? That fellow wanted to know if I, as acting mayor, would clamp the lid on that dance if the court refused the injunction. If Gertie wants to dance with a little lace wrapped around her she is welcome to, and the police won't interfere. Those who believe it is not right can stay at home while those who do can plunk down their money and take a front seat for all I care. Why should I stop a Salome dance or an y old kind of a dance?"


Disappointment sat deep on every face, and there was not an "I don't care" expression in the crowd which went to the court house yesterday to see Gertrude Hoffman do a stunt with a string of beads. Gertrude, you know, does the Salome dance in "The Mimic World" at the Shubert theater, or rather, she did until the courts stopped her Monday night.

The restraining order granted at that time was made returnable yesterday, and large was the crowd that came to see and hear. Judge James H. Slover, in whose division the case fell, heard affidavits and speeches and more speeches, and then said he would decide today whether to make the restraining order permanent or dissolve it. Meanwhile, of course, Salome will not dance.

All hands had expected to see, as evidence, the whole dance as performed at the theater. But the dancer did not come, only lawyers.

COSTS $6,000 A WEEK.

"It costs $80,000 to create this show, and the weekly expense roll is $6,000," said Clyde Taylor, appearing on behalf of the theater. So maybe it was too expensive to have Miss Hoffman.

"To stop this dance, which is strictly a moral affair," continued Mr. Taylor, "would entail large financial loss. If the show was not clean, it would never have been put on the boards and have received favorable comment everywhere."

On behalf of those who secured the restraining order, John T. Harding, Ellison Neel and H. M. Beardsley spoke. Affidavits made by George E. Bowling, Nathanial Dickey and D. A. Trimble were read. These men had been appointed by the Independence Avenue Methodist Episcopal church to make a report to the court. In substance they said the dance was immoral and demoralizing to the mind of the spectator. Photographs were taken of posters put up by the show also were introduced as evidence.


Mrs. E. D. Hornbrook said she saw the dance in New York, and thought it not proper. She had made up her mind, she said, to try to suppress it if it came to Kansas City. She had not seen the dance at the Shubert. William D. Latham of the board of trade disapproved of the dance, as did also Omar Robinson, a lawyer, and I. B. Hook and others. A painting of Maud Allan as Salome, to give the court an idea of how the Hoffman dance is said to be carried on, was also introduced.

Dr. George L. A. Hamilton, for the defendants, said the dance was art, and could not be objected to. John B. Reynolds, manager of the company, was represented by an affidavit giving the expenses of the show.

Also there was a statement from Miss Hoffman herself. The dances she employs, she said, were copied from those of the Far East, and patterned after the Oriental idea of grace. She said it was in no sense a "hootchie-kootchie," as some of the objectors had said.

Then there was a great deal of oratory, and the case, known officially as the state of Missouri, at the relation of Elliot W. Major, attorney general, against Earl Steard and others, went over until today. Judge Slover did not say that he had been at the Shubert. He goes to the theater infrequently.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

November 19, 1908



Opposition of Property Owners With-
drawn and Long Needed Neces-
sity Will Be Established.
Architects to Compete.

Fifteen thousand dollars will be spent by the city for a comfort station at the Junction. An ordinance authorizing the apportionment of the money will be introduced in the council Monday night. The work of the construction will be under the supervision of the board of public works.

J. M. Townley, A. P. Nichols and S. M. Williams of the civic improvement committee of the Manufacturers and Merchants' Association and J. A. Runyan, secretary, presented the matter to the board yesterday. The committee was supported in its recommendations by Mayor Thomas T. Crittenden, Jr. City Comptroller Gus Pearson said the funds could be provided.

Plans for the station were prepared during the Beardsley administration, but further progress was delayed on account of opposition from adjoining property owners. It is said this opposition has been withdrawn. The drawings that have been prepared were submitted to the board yesterday with the understanding that they will not have to be followed.

R. L. Gregory, chairman of the board, felt that on account of the importance of the utility, there should be some scope permitted for competition among architects in preparation of plans, and he favored the offering of a purse of $100 for the best design. The main adjuncts to the utility will be underground, and it is proposed to make the surface appearance as attractive as possible. The plans already in hand call for a tower of bronze fifteen feet high, to be illuminated at night by an immense gas burning torch located on the crown. There is a probability of this tower being made taller.

Just as soon as the council appropriates the money, the board will advertise for competitive bids for plans and construction. It is thought that by energetic action work on the station can be commenced in thirty days, and finished within sixty days.

Labels: , , ,

October 31, 1908


George W. Young Finds a Few
Changes in Fifty-Eight Years.

George W. Young, one of the pioneers of Kansas City, who had not been back to the old home since he left here, fifty-eight years ago, is fully aware of the miraculous change. No more did he see the Chouteau warehouse, and he inquired for the Kaw Valley hotel in vain.

Mr. Young, now 78 years of age, and living in Seattle, Wash., came to Kansas City a day or so ago. Yesterday he was wandering about over the old "stomping ground," and stepped into the office of R. L. Gregory, president of the upper house of the council. As he entered the office he noticed a picture of Mr. Gregory's father, taken when he was mayor of the city, many years ago. Mr. Gregory was not acquainted with his visitor, and when Mr. Young turned to him and said: "That's a picture of your father, is it not?" Mr. Gregory was astounded. Choking down his astonishment, he managed to reply in the affirmative.

"When I was a youngster he was my guardian, but that was over fifty-eight years ago," said Mr. Young. Then, noticing the amazed expression on Mr. Gregory's face, he introduced himself. Straightway Mr. Young inquired for the old landmarks, places which Mr. Gregory had never heard of, which so confused the councilman that he took the visitor over to see Mayor Crittenden.

But the mayor denied knowledge of the early history of Kansas City, so Mr. Young is now looking for some of the early settlers who can tell him about the old bank down on the river front and explain just what has become of all the steamboats which used to ply up and down the Missouri.

Labels: , , , , ,

October 20, 1908


R. L. Gregory Says It Wears Splen-
didly in Northern Cities.

Members of the board of public works returned yesterday from the Minneapolis and St. Paul, where they inspected street paving of Kettle Creek sandstone and creosoted wood block.

"These materials, to my mind, are the only practical and reliable kinds for street paving," said R. L. Gregory, president of the board, last night. "But they cost more than asphalt, and the question is, 'Will the taxpayers pay the difference?' Sandstone set on concrete base costs $2.75 a square yard, while creosoted block costs $3 a square yard. We saw pavements of these materials that have been laid ten or twelve years, and from their appearances they are as good as the day they were laid. After a few years of wear the sandstone looks like asphalt, and it is nearly as noiseless."

Labels: ,

September 30, 1908


Aldermen Gregory and Eaton De-
tained at Home by Illness.

At the last moment there were some unexpected changes in the personnel of the city officials who accompanied Thomas T. Crittenden, Jr., last night to omaha, to attend the sessions there of the League of American Municipalities. R. L. Gregory, president of the upper house, who has been ill for several days, did not feel physically able to undertake the task, and Alderman J. F. Eaton was advised by his physician not to go.

Labels: , ,

September 1, 1908


Board of Public Works Agrees to
Help Architect Root.

"I could turn the new hospital over to the city in ten days if I were not continually annoyed by orders from the city hall," declared W. C. Root, one of the architects on the building. He visited the board of public works yesterday to straighten out some bills due contractors.

"This board will assist you. Tell us what you want us to do," suggested R. L Gregory, president.

"There ought to be a key rack made and installed, the gas company should be ordered to install meters and the furniture ought to be put in place," replied Mr. Root.

"If that is all, the secretary of the board will attend to it at once. You ought to be able to have the hospital ready for the new health and hospital board by the time the new charter becomes operative, September 3. Can you do it?"

"I guess so," answered the architect.

Labels: , , ,

August 29, 1908


Fire and Water Board Will Hear
Their Demand.

"Why didn't you come to the board thirty days ago and ask for a raise in wages and not wait until a new commission is to take over the control of the waterworks a week hence?" asked R. L. Gregory, president of the board of public works, yesterday of a delegation of waterworks laborers that asked that their pay be raised from $1.75 to $2 a day.

"We didn't suppose there was any hurry, that the campaign promises of both Crittenden and Gregory to raise our wages stood good for any old time," replied the spokesman of the party.

"I have no recollection of making any such declarations in the campaign," said Mr. Gregory, "but if I did you can bet I'll stand by them if there is any merit to your demands."

The proposal was passed up to the fire and water board, which will formally organize under the new charter next Thursday.

Labels: , , ,

July 9, 1908





King's Injuries Are Serious and Sa-
loonkeeper's Case Will Be Pre-
sented to Grand Jury -- Was
Struck From Behind.

Jack Gallagher, Democratic politician, former policeman and saloonist, assaulted Albert H. King, a reporter for The Journal, while the two were in friendly conversation in the street in front of police headquarters late yesterday afternoon. Frank Frost a reporter for the Kansas City Star, who Gallagher says was scheduled for a like assault, escaped the brute strength of the big saloonkeeper by rushing into the police station to call out officers to ave King.

Gallagher was arrested, but immediately began a legal battle to gain his freedom. Milton J. Oldham, a lawyer hurried to the holdover from the police board rooms but his efforts to get the prisoner released were fruitless. Mr. King was taken to the emergency hospital, where the surgeons in attendance declined to examine him until the shock he had sustained had worn off. His injuries were later discovered to be serious, and John W. Hogan, an assistant prosecuting attorney, was called to take the injured man's statement. The assistant prosecutor at once placed a bar against the release of Gallagher by stating that he would prepare a serious charge against him, to be served immediately if political friends of the saloonist politician should succeed in getting the police department to accept a bond.

Mr. King, who is a reporter for The Journal assigned to police duty, is still at the emergency hospital. He is not an able-bodied man because of injuries received in the Spanish-American war, and the attending physicians fear his injuries may prove permanent.


Yesterday afternoon, Mr. King attended a meeting of the board of police commissioners The board had before it charges against Gallagher for selling liquor on Sunday at 8 East Fourth street, directly across the street from the entrance to Central police station, and operating a crap game at his other saloon, 310 Independence avenue. The charges regarding the last named place were postponed until the next meeting, but the board closed the Fourth street place. Milton J. Oldham, attorney for Gallagher, stated last night that the board promised him they would give Gallagher a chance and let his Independence avenue saloon run, but that the Sunday selling at 8 East Fourth street has been so flagrant a violation of the board's orders that the license would have to be forfeited.

Gallagher and Mr. King have been acquaintances for some time, and, immediately after the court meeting Gallagher invited Mr. King to go across the street and take a drink before the police closed his place. Mr. King declined, stating that he was too busy at that time. On the stairs a few minutes later Gallagher again extended the invitation and again Mr. King, who was busy about his day's work, declined.

In the press room on the main floor of the city hall Mr. King and Frank Frost, a reporter for the Kansas City Star, were discussing various orders made by the police board a few minutes later when Gallagher opened the door and with a smile, asked the two across to his place.

"I guess we had better go," said Frost.

"Cheer up," said Gallagher to Mr. King, and the latter reached for his cane and the three went into the street.

Gallagher's place, the one soon to be closed by the board's order, made earlier in the afternoon, is immediately across Fourth street from the main entrance to the Central police station. It was there that Gallagher, growing reckless in his prosperity as a saloonkeeper, had openly sold liquor on Sundays until the place was raided by the police from the Walnut street station a week ago last Sunday. It was the evidence secured in this raid which the police board considered sufficient for revoking the license.


As Mr. King, who, on account of former injuries, must carry a cane to steady himself, stepped from the curb into the street, Gallagher fell back a step between Mr. King and Mr. Frost. Just as they reached the center of the narrow street Gallagher took a hurried step forward and struck Mr. King in the forehead. The reporter fell to the pavement.

Mr. Frost immediately hurried back into the police station door and called to the assembled officers and men:

"Jack Gallagher is killing King."

Knowing Gallagher as a "bad" man, every police officer in the station was alert in an instant. Patrolman John J. Crane hurriedly took a pistol from the desk and Captain Walter Whitsett and Detective Inspector Charles Ryan, both shut off from the main lobby of the station, hurried to the door. Patrolman Joseph Welsh followed.

In the meantime in the street Mr. King was at the mercy of the brutal saloonkeeper. Gallagher struck him again as he tried to get up , and then kicked him in the back. Mr. King rolled over, and the big saloonkeeper brought his heel down on the right side of the reporter's face, cutting a jagged wound across the face. As he kicked Mr. King in the ribs Patrolman Patrick Boyle grappled with him. He had reached the street ahead of Captian Whitsett, Inspector Ryan and Patrolman Crane, the latter being the only armed man in the crowd.


Gallagher did not resist arrest, as the police had expected, and was led into the station door, but a few feet away, by Boyle, while Captain Whitsett, Inspector Ryan and newspaper reporters who had hurried from the press room at the head of the stairs, picked up the inured man Gallagher, was locked up, charged with investigation, and Mr.King was carried around the corner of the building to the emergency hospital.

Upstairs in the police board rooms Commissioners A. E. Gallagher and Elliot H. Jones were just leaving their chairs. They heard the commotion in the central station below and went down to investigate. When they learned the circumstances of the assault, both commissioners became agitated. Commissioner Galagher went to the commanding officer's desk and admonished those in charge to hold Jack Gallagher, the saloonkeeper, unless a heavy bond was furnished.

"I don't think he ought to be released uner any circumstances," said Commissioner Jones.

The assault was considered unusually brutal by police officers and other witnesses, and the story soon reached the office of R. L. Gregory, acting mayor, Gus Pearson, city comptroller, and John Murray, formerly a newspaper reporter, saw the assault from the corner of Fourth and Main sterets as they were boarding a street car. They went at once to the emergency hospital and soon were joined by Mr. Gregory.


The acting mayor asked Mr. King about the assault and then went at once to police headquarters, where he gave orders that Gallagher be held without bond. Mr. Gregory was closeted with Captain Walter Whitsett for several minutes and, when he emerged from the captain's office, assured those outside that the prisoner would be held for the customary twenty-four hours, when a charge must be placed against him. Assistant Prosecutor Hogan had taken Mr. Kin's statement by that time, and stated that if Gallagher's attorney saw fit to sue out a writ of habeas corpus he would have the prisoner held for the prosecutor. Mr. Hogan said he would call the assault to the attention of the grand jury this morning.

Immediately after Attorney Oldham appeared, Jack Spillane and Patrick Larkin, the latter a Sixth ward politician, were called tot he station to furnish bond.

When told that no bond would be accepted Oldham demanded that a charge be placed against Gallagher. He boasted that he would clear the saloonkeeper of any charge which would be brought Spillane, a sidewalk inspector for the city, was very angry when he found he not furnish a bond big enough to get his slugger friend out of the holdover. Thoroughly baffled, the trio later telephoned for a dinner to be served the prisoner and left the station.

Mr. Oldham and Gallagher told him that he had intended to assault Frank Frost, the Kansas City STar reporter, who went into the street with him and Mr. King, but failed because the police got action too quickly for him.

"He told me," said Mr. Oldham, "that King had double-crossed him and was responsible for his Fourth street pace being raided."

Mr. King, who knew of the flagrant violation of the Sunday law by Gallagher, did not have anything to do with the raid. He had not written a line about the place for the paper which employs him and had told Tom Gallagher as much when the latter, a week ago, asked him why he was "sore at his brother Jack.

"Jack is my friend," was the reply Mr. King made to Tom Gallagher.


Previous to his career as a newspaper reporter Albert King had been an invalid for many months. He had received injuries in the Philippine islands while in the army and had wlaked on crutches a long time after being mustered out of the service. Mr. King was enlisted in the army here as a private in the Thirty-second United States infantry in July, 1899. He sailed for the Philippines in September the same year. In the islands he became regimental sergeant major.

On the night of August 5, 1900, while the building where he was quartered was under fire, he fell down a flight of stone steps while attempting, in pajamas and cartridge belt, to get to the first floor to consult with his superior officer. He was an invalid in a Manila hospital and later at the Presidio, San Francisco. December 28, 1900, he was mustered out of service and sent to his home, 3031 Wabash avenue, Kansas City.

Mr. Kings injuries from the assault include an injured spine and a severe shock to his legs, which were so long paralyzed. The right side of his face is cut and bruised and the attending physician, Dr. J. Park Neal, feared last night that blood poisoning might result from the jagged wound in his face. His ribs on both sides are injured, but the physician had not discovered if any were fractured because the injured man was in too great pain to permit a thorough examination.


In regard to the standing of Jack Gallagher as a saloonkeeper, Commissiner Elliott H. Jones last night said:

"It was reported to the police commissioners taht Gallagher's place on East Fourth street was open on Sunday and after closing h ours. For this reason the board refused to grant him a renewal of his license to operate that saloon."

Mr. Jones was asked if he thought Gallagher a fit man to run a saloon or if he deemed him worthy of the privelge after having made such a brutal attack upon a man as he had done upon Albert King. Mr. Jones said he could not answer that question without going into the case to greater extent than he had already done.

Commissioner Jones was then asked: "If any manmakes an attack on another while walking on the street while the victim is under the impression that there is no feeling of hostility between them; if the attack be sudden and unexpected and very brutal in its nature, should such a man be granted the privelege of owning and operating a saloon?"

The commissioner refused to answer the question.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

July 5, 1908


Leaving Tomorrow for Lakes
of Minnesota.

Mayor Thomas T. Crittenden, Jr., will tomorrow take a vacation of about ten days from municipal cares and will go to the lakes of Minnesota on a fishing trip. He will be accompanied by Lynn S. Banks, of the board of public works, F. S. Groves, George Richards, John F. Richards, John W. Harris, C. C. Craver and W. P. Motley. During Mr. Crittenden's absence, R. L. Gregory, preident of the upper house, will be the acting mayor.

Labels: ,

July 1, 1908

Morticians Tire of Speculating in
Pauper Dead at $2.

"We have to pay our men $5 to go to St. George's hospital for a body at the dead of night and drive it to the cemetery for burial. Persons dying form smallpox must be buried at night. How many of you men would do it for $5?"

"I wouldn't do it for $6," replied R. L. Gregory, president of the board of public works.

This occurred at yesterday's meeting of the board when a representative of an undertaking establishment appeared to explain why the bid of burying the pauper dead hand had been raised from $2 to $5. He explained that in the past the burial of paupers had been a speculative proposition with undertakers. There is no money in it at $2, and the profits come in when very often relatives of impoverished deceased persons appear and give them a more expensive funeral.

"A grave costs $3; it takes fifty feet of lumber to make the box; that costs $1; then there is the excelsior for the upholstering, muslin for a shroud and material for a headboard; that counts up $1 more, making a total of $5 to bury a pauper," explained the undertaker.

It was decided to accept the new bids, $5 for burials an 75 cents for ambulance service to the several city hospitals.

Labels: , , , ,

June 27, 1908





Board of Public Works Gets Busy.
Chief Engineer John F. Sickles
Suspended Pending an

The board of public works yesterday suspended John F. Sickles, chief engineer of Turkey creek water pumping station, for "insubordination and good of the service." Last Monday, it is claimed, he discharged twelve of the employes at the station without authority, and has otherwise demeaned himself in a manner not satisfactory to the board. No action was taken yesterday by the board in the cases of the twelve men removed by Sickles.

"We are going to put the water department on a business basis and establish an order of discipline if we have to fire every man in the department," said R. L. Gregory, president of the board. "There is to be no politics in the department under this administration, and that's got to be understood. Last Friday when we ha a lot of heads of the different branches of the service before us, and they were asked if it were not possible to conduct a municipal water plant on a business basis, they all, with one exception, snickered and said it was impossible. The impossibility they claimed was attributable to politics, so myself and associates, Lynn Banks, Wallace Love and R. H. Williams, made up our minds right there and then to wipe politics from the plant and conduct it s we do our private business affairs. It can be done, must be done and shall be done.

"The deplorable condition of the plant, and the lack of discipline is directly traceable to politics. There will be no more using of the waterworks by politicians to serve their selfish ends. Qualification, not politics, is the basis on which men will be employed in the future to conduct the affairs of the waterworks."

Lynn Banks said that in view of the insinuations that the present administration is trying to inject politics into the water department, the commercial and civic organizations should send delegations to inspect conditions as they exist at the two water pumping stations.

"I am certain they will fin some things that will refute the charge that we are playing politics," said Mr. Banks, "and what's more, they will be convinced that the water plant in the past has been badly handled."

It is the intention of the board to continue the weeding out process until it finds men who can hold their jobs through ability, and not through political influence. There are indications that other high officials are slated to go within the next few days.

Labels: , ,

May 2, 1908


Spring Malady Affected Many City
Hall Men Yesterday.

The baseball fever took possession of many heads of city hall departments and employes yesterday afternoon, and the malady extended to the board of public works. There was no meeting of the latter body. Next Tuesday the board is scheduled to meet.

During the early hours of the afternoon Mayor Crittenden, R. L. Gregory, president of the board of public works, a number of aldermen and officials sat in carriages and followed through the streets a band that announced the opening game of the baseball season here. "Wearing of the Green" was played as the procession started from the city hall.

Labels: , , , , ,

April 8, 1908






Mayor -- Crittenden, D ..........................1,320
Police Judge -- Kyle, R ...........................2,213
Treasurer -- Baehr, R ............................1,220
Auditor -- Greene, D ..............................2,478
Attorney -- Langsdale, D .......................1,708
Upper House President, Gregory, D .....1,344

Thomas T. Crittenden, Jr., Democrat, was elected mayor of Kansas City yesterday over Mayor Henry M. Beardsley, Republican, by 1,320 majority, with one precinct of the Twelfth ward missing. Harry G. Kyle, Republican, was re-elected police judge over Michael E. Casey, Democrat, and William J. Baehr, Republican, was elected city treasurer over Thomas S. Ridge, Democrat. Kyle's majority was 2,213.

The upper house Democratic ticket, with Robert L. Gregory president, elected three of its candidates, making that branch of the council still Republican. The lower house is overwhelmingly Democratic.

It was a big Democratic victory, and for the first time in four years the Democrats will be back in the city hall for a term of two years one week from next Monday.

While in the city ten days ago Attorney General Hadley warned his Republican friends that the issues advanced were false, and he quietly passed the word that if they were persisted in it could mean nothing but defeat. The result proves that Hadley was right.

Overcast clouds and intermittent showers ushered in the day. Despite the unfavorable aspect of the weather, voters were up and astir long before the break of day, and at 6 o'clock, when the polls opened, the voting places of the 164 precincts in the fourteen wards were besieged by long and patient lines of men awaiting the time and opportunity to cast their ballots.

The voting was rapid, the record in some precincts being one to the minute. Merchant, banker, professional man vied with the laborer to get to the ballot boxes.


In a majority of the precincts over half the total registration had been voted by noon, and from that time to the close of the polls at 7 o'clock the voting was by jerks and starts. It was stated in some of the precincts as early as 6 o'clock that all the votes that could be depended upon to be cast had been delivered, and this seemed true, for the judges, clerks and workers sat around idle.

Assertions of fraud were made during the early hours, and some arrests resulted It was charged that men had tendered money for votes, and that voters had accepted money. The early arrests of these offenders put a stop to any more such work so far as was observable, although at several times during the day Alderman Pendergast openly charged that Republicans were paying $3 a piece for negro votes in the First ward. Watchers sent into the ward by the Civic League said they had seen no vote-buying.


Up to noon the Republican headquarters felt sure of victory and the Democrats felt uneasy The first alarm was felt at 1111 Grand when the Republican precinct workers telephoned in that the noon hour vote of business men was against the Republican ticket. The excuse offered was that retail merchants were in a revolt against an evening newspaper.

The Democrats had not counted on this vote at all. As soon as they saw they were getting it they sent their runners into the stores after the clerks. With oodles of money to pay for carriages and automobiles to hurry them to their home wards, the Democrats found the store proprietors willing to let the men off to vote. It was a fully fledged rebellion in the Republican party.

As early as 4 o'clock it was announced at Democratic headquarters that the Democratic ticket was in the ascendancy. News came that Walter Dickey, Republican state chairman, had joined Mayor Beardsley in the Ninth ward, and with it came the news that negroes were beginning to vote the Republican ticket there. Dickey was understood to have wagered, for friends, about $18,000. One negro said he had been offered $8 for his vote. High as this was, $8 apiece for votes to save heavy bets would not be out of the way. There was Democratic money seen in the ward immediately. Twenty-four negroes voted the Democratic ticket straight at Fifteenth and Tracy. This looked like commercialism, but the retort was that the Republicans were at the same game. Governor Folk was hurried to the ward to see Democratic tickets voted by negroes. He expressed surprise.

There were only three fights reported at either headquarters, and both headquarters said they had heard of very little challenging. This presaged clear tally sheets, an early count and all judges signing.


At 7 o'clock the mayor arrived at 1111 Grand, thinking he had squeezed through, but by 8 o'clock he admitted to a Journal man that "it looks blue." An hour later he conceded his defeat. This was while he sat in headquarters with a crowd taxing the capacity of the big hall.

Crittenden was sent for. He was not able to get to the Democratic headquarters until about 10 o'clock, just as Mayor Beardsley was leaving his own headquarters, a defeated man.


The rival city chairmen, the rival candidates for mayor, the commissioners and governor Folk all admitted that there had been a reasonably fair election, marked by the absence of repeating and ruffianism. The most sensational spectacle at night was of Republicans going in squads to the Democratic headquarters to share in the demonstrations of victory. Full importance was given at the Republican headquarters to the weight the defeat will have on the Republican chances this fall, unless there is a new alignment and new issues found... while the Democrats claimed to see ahead far enough to make James A. Reed United States senator. Reed arrived at his headquarters about 10 o'clock. He was called on for a speech and made one from his automobile. He congratulated the entire party upon its success as an organization as a whole, but credited the enormous majority, by comparison, to the opposition of an evening newspaper. When afterwards Mr. Reed went past Eleventh and Grand on his triumphal tour, his car was halted and once more he was compelled to make a speech. He repeated what he had said at Democratic headquarters. From there he went to The Journal office, arriving just as two Democratic bands and processions met, one from Democratic headquarters, traveling from the west, and another form the Sixth ward, headed by the Italian band, coming from the east. The meeting was unexpected and most dramatic. From The Journal the crowd went back to Democratic headquarters and at midnight it was roving about the city.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,


Get the Book
Vintage Kansas City Stories ~ Early 20th Century Americana as Immortalized in The Kansas City Journal
Kansas City Stories

Early Kansas City, Missouri

The Son of Jesse James is Accused of a Train Robbery at Leeds ... Can he get a fair trial in Kansas City?
The Trial of Jesse James, Jr.

>>More KC Books<<

As an Amazon Associate this site may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

The History and Heritage of Vintage Kansas City in Books
Vintage Kansas
City Bookstore

Powered by Blogger

Vintage Kansas

Vintage Antique Classics ~ Vintage Music, Software, and more Time Travel Accessories

In association with
KC Web ~ The Ultimate Kansas City Internet Directory