Find Kansas City Antiques and Collectibles at the Vintage Kansas City Marketplace ~ Own a Piece of Old KC

Vintage Kansas



Old News
Headlines and Articles from The Kansas City Journal

Business Office...4000 Main
City Editor.....4001 Main
Society Editor....4002 Main

Two cents. Subscription Rates:  By carrier, per week, 10 cents; per month, 45 cents.  By mail, daily and Sunday, one month, 40 cents; three months, $1.00; six months, $2.00; one year, $4.00.  Sunday only, six months, 75 cents; one year, $1.50.  Weekly Journal, 25 cents one year.

Like Vintage Kansas City on Facebook

As We See 'Em ~ Caricatures of Prominent Kansas Cityans

The Isis Theatre ~ Kansas City, Missouri

The History of Fairmount Park

Claims of Cancer Cured by Dr. Bye in Vintage KC Missouri

Special Cut Prices ~ Always the Same

Blogging Fusion Blog Directory

February 5, 1910


Ward Workers Jubilant Over Prac-
tical Certainty That the Alder-
man Will Run Again.

Alderman James Pendergast, 1100 Summit street, temporary abode only.

There is joy in the first ward. The boys have found a home for their patron and political saint, Alderman James Pendergast. After a long and wearisome chase the house hunters yesterday temporarily leased the unpretentious but comfortable dwelling at 1100 Summit street. It is located right in the heart of the First ward,and in a few days the alderman who for eighteen consecutive years has represented the ward in the lower house and gotten city jobs for thousands of the boys will be formally installed in his new domicile.

"Means you are going to be candidate for alderman again?" was suggested to the nestor of Democratic politics.

"Well, I told the boys that if they would find a home for me in the ward I might consider representing them again. Consider, mind you," replied Mr. Pendergast, "since my wife died, four years ago, I've been sort of a Gypsy, dividing my domicile between my farms in Kansas and Missouri and the home of my sister on Prospect avenue. I'm getting tired of calling home wherever I hang my hat.

"I want a place I can really call home, and the boys are going to install me in one in a few days. The boys would go to the end of the earth for me, and I suppose it us up to me to reciprocate."

"Hurrah! Jim is going to run for alderman again," gleefully shouted one of the boys.

"Qualify that with the word 'consider,' " interrupted the alderman.

Labels: , , , ,

January 10, 1910


Father Dead, Mother Away, Boy
Hurt Fatally Playing Indian.

While playing with some other boys in a vacant foundry at Nicholson and Prospect avenues yesterday morning at 11:30 o'clock, Eddie Campbell, aged 8 years, was so badly burned that he died four hours later at the University hospital.

The lad was attempting to make an Indian fire with some logs, and as the timber would not ignite readily he poured some kerosene on the heated portion. An explosion followed and young Campbell's clothes caught on fire. His playmates made frantic efforts to extinguish the flames, but did not succeed until after the boy had sustained fatal injuries. The body was taken to Stewart's undertaking rooms.

Eddie Campbell had been living with an uncle, Albert Campbell, at 728 North Chestnut street, for some time. His father is dead and his mother, Stella S. Campbell, who is an actress, is touring Michigan.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

November 21, 1909



Edgar Palin, Aged 12, Dies in Hos-
pital From Injuries Received in
Alighting in Path of Machine
Giving Children Ride.
Edgar Palin, 12-year-old Killed by Automobile.
Twelve-Year-Old Boy Who Leaped from Street Car Fender and Was Mortally Injured by Automobile.

As Edgar Palin, 12 years old, 2802 East Sixth street, jumped from the back fender of an eastbound Independence avenue car yesterday afternoon at Prospect avenue, he was run over and fatally injured by a motor car driven by E. T. Curtis, 3338 Wyandotte street. He died at 7 o'clock last night at the German hospital, without recovering consciousness.

With Allen Compton, 400 Wabash avenue, the boy had been playing all afternoon. About 3 o'clock the two lads started northward on Wabash avenue, and at Independence avenue both noticed an approaching street car.

"Let's catch the fender," called Edgar, as he waited along the curbing. The car was moving at moderate speed and the boy ran behind, and caught hold of the fender. His companion, 10 years old, ran behind on the sidewalk. At Prospect avenue Edgar, without looking around, jumped from the fender directly in front of an approaching auto, barely fifteen feet behind him. Curtis attempted to dodge the boy. The left fender of the auto struck the child and he was sent tumbling on the pavement. He was picked up by Curtis. Several children were in the auto. With Curtis was Herman Smith, of 3606 Olive street, whose father owned the car. In a nearby drug store it was found the boy had been injured seriously.


"I was driving at about fifteen miles an hour," Curtis said. "The auto belonged to young Smith's father and I was running it because I had the most experience. A party of school children were with us. We were taking them for a ride around the block. I noticed the child on the fender and did not have the least idea that he was going to run in my path. I swerved to one side, but the machine skidded and the fender of the auto struck him in the back. I realized at once that he had received a fearful blow."

After the child was given emergency treatment in the drug store by two neighboring physicians, he was taken to his home in the motor car, and after being attended by Dr. Max Goldman, was removed to the German hospital. Dr. Goldman found that the boy's spine was broken and that his skull was probably fractured.

Allen Compton, his playmate, was in a condition bordering on hysterics last night. The two had been gathering old papers during the forenoon and had just been to the paper mill, where they had received a few pennies with which they intended to buy Christmas presents.

"Edgar wasn't no car hopper," Allen said last night, in defense of his friend. "He was just running behind and holding on to the fender. Edgar wasn't that kind."

With Judge J. E. Guinotte, a friend of the family, young Curtis went to police headquarters last night and made a statement to Captain Walter Whitsett. After consulting Virgil Conkling, prosecuting attorney, it was decided not to hold him. He promised to come to the prosecutor's office Monday and make a complete statement. He said that he had been running a car for eight years. He is the son of W. E. Curtis, a live stock commission man.

The injured boy was the son of W. M. Palin, a real estate dealer in the Commerce building. The body will be taken to Gridley, Kas., for burial.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

November 7, 1909


Receipts Will Be Added to Assump-
tion Building Fund.

A bazaar for the benefit of the New Assumption parish, recently created by the Rt. Rev. Bishop Hogan, will be held this week beginning tomorrow night in the hall at the southwest corner of Independence boulevard and Prospect avenue. A special music programme will be a feature each evening. There also will be many events in the way of voting contests.

The New Assumption parish was formerly a part of the St. Aloysius parish and embraces the territory east of Prospect avenue to Norton avenue. The southern limit is Independence avenue and the territory extends as far north as Cliff drive. Father William J. Connolly is the pastor and services are being held temporarily at 3327 Garner avenue. the profits from this week's bazaar will be added to the fund for a new church.

Labels: , , , ,

October 30, 1909



Fleecy Cotton Used by Esquimaux at
Loretto Academy North Pole
Night Flashes Into

Three girls seriously burned and a third slightly is the result of the overturning of a jack o'lantern last night during a Halloween celebration at the academy of the Sisters of Loretto, West Prospect and Thirty-ninth street, which set the costumes of the girls on fire.

The most seriously burned are:

Mimie Tiernan, 3525 Broadway.
Mary Maley, 1200 West Fortieth.
Virginia Owen, 3633 Prospect.

Slightly burned:

Ruth Mahoney, a niece of Alderman C. J. Conin.

It was stated early this morning that three of the girls were possibly fatally burned. There are little hopes of Misses Owen and Tiernan recovering. Miss Maley is reported to be in danger, though not as seriously burned as the other two. All the victims were conscious and suffering greatly. All but Miss Mahoney were burned over their bodies, and on the arms and legs.

The girls were giving a Hallowe'en entertainment in the corridor on the first floor. The stage at the end of the hall was decorated with jack o'lanterns and bunting.

They planned a "North Pole" entertainment, and were dressed as Esquimaux. They wore white trousers, covered with cotton to represent snow. Their waists also were covered with cotton. No boys had been invited.

It was 8:20 o'clock when Maley walked across the stage. She was laughing gaily and chatting with a crowd of girls walking at her side. They were all talking of the beautiful decorations and the novel decorations.

Miss Maley stumbled on a jack o'lantern. From the candle the cotton on her Esquimaux dress was ignited. The flame spread over her entire body. Misses Teirnan, Owen and Mahoney, walking at her side, rushed to their friend's help. There were screams and cries for help. Some of the girls fainted, others grew hysterical.

The flames spread from Miss Maley's costume to the three girls who had rushed to her aid. In a moment the four were a mass of flames. The clothing was burned entirely from Miss Maley's body. The cotton burned as if it were saturated in oil. The three girls, who came to her assistance, were burned from head to foot. The fire spread to the clothing of the four.

It was 8:26 o'clock when the fire department at station No. 19, Westport, received the call. Before the firemen arrived the flames were put out. The fire did not ignite the other decorations nor the building.


Captain Flahive of No. 5 police station, and Officer Wood went to the academy. Considerable persuasion was required to gain an entrance. When the mother superior was asked for the names of the injured this information was denied.

Drs. B. H. Wheeler and Horrigan were summoned. All the cotton bandages in the drug store at Thirty-ninth and Genessee were bought outright. It was necessary later to send to Westport for more medicine and bandages. The physicians remained at the bedsides of the injured girls through the night.

The school authorities refused to make any details of the accident public. To all questions as to names and the extent of the injuries, those in authority replied that there was absolutely nothing to give out.

"We have the story," the reporters told them.

"Well, if you publish anything about this, we will sue your paper for libel."

The girls at the academy had planned for a Hallowe'en dance this evening at Little's hall in Westport but because of the occurrence last night, the party has been cancelled.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

August 10, 1909


Pet Dog's Saliva Infects Wound on
Owner's Hand.

Children living in the neighborhood of Fifty-first street and Prospect avenue are having a hard time of it the last few days. Their mothers refuse to allow them to get out of sight, and if a dog appears the children are hustled into the ho use and doors barred. The cause of the confinement of the kids and the dog scare is a small fox terrier owned by Mr. Van Felt, near Fifty-first street and Prospect avenue.

Six dogs owned by neighbors of Mr. Van Felt were bitten by the fox terrier on last Friday afternoon. Mr. Van Felt played with the dog late Friday afternoon and the dog licked his hand in a playful way. A wound on the hand became infected late that night, and the next day Mr. Van Felt heard that his dog had bitten others. Becoming frightened, Mr. Van Felt consulted a physician who diagnosed the swelling as hydrophobia. The physician left for Chicago last night in charge of his patient who was going to be treated at the Pasteur institute.

The police of No. 6 station were informed of the result of the physician's examination. Sergeant R. L. James sent an officer to round up the dogs that had been bitten. His instructions are that the owners tie the dogs for a period of fifteen days. If symptoms of hydrophobia appeared within that time the dogs are to be killed.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

August 4, 1909



Those in Charge of Movement Claim
Present Salaries Are Too Low,
Considering Work and
Long Hours.

A new labor union, new at least in this city, will spring into life full grown at a meeting of its fifty members at Labor headquarters, Locust and Twelfth streets, tomorrow night. The charter recognizing the Kansas City Nickel Show Operators' Union, which was sent for yesterday, will be read and officers elected. Things will then begin to happen to the managements of the seventy-five or more 5-cent arcades, nickelodeons and electric theaters scattered about the city.

If they do not at once accede to a demand for an immediate raise in salaries, a day off each week for recuperative purposes and shorter hours all around, lantern operators, piano players, doorkeepers and even the blonde haired women cashiers may make a general exit.


"We are the poorest paid employes in the city considering the skill required of us and the long hours we are forced to keep," said H. C. Bernard, Seventy-fifth street and West Prospect avenue, the president of the union, last night. "Door-keepers and operators get $12 a week while girl cashiers and piano players get only from $2 to $4. I can't remember of even having heard of a singer receiving more than $8 in this city for the repeated strain on his or her vocal cords.

"I know of one skillful operator of a lantern who got $25 a week in Chicago a month ago and is now drawing a weekly check for $4 and he often works 15 hours a day with no day off."

A business manager in the Yale 5 cent shows general offices said yesterday that he did not fear a strike and that one if it came would not seriously retard the business of his company.


"I will tough a wire the minute they strike and get 100 operators from Chicago in short order," said he. "The work done by the operators, doorkeepers and singers is very light, although somewhat tedious. As a rule they have the forenoons off and can use them to make money at other things. My company will fight a strike to the last, and if a union is organized will discharge every man or woman caught attending a union meeting."

The new union will be affiliated with the International Theatrical Stage Employes' union, and will have auxiliaries taking in all employes, male and female, of the 5-cent shows. Several secret meetings have been held by the union organizers in a room at labor headquarters and about fifty operators have joined. There are about 500 employes of the nickel theaters in the city.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

July 5, 1909



Big Demand for Tetanus Anti-Toxin
at Emergency Hospital -- Four
Boys Hurt in One Explosion.

It was one of the quietest Fourths of July the two Kansas City's ever experienced. But the real test will come today. Many minor accidents were reported yesterday, and there were a number of applications to Dr. W. L. Gist of the emergency hospital for injections of tetanus anti-toxin to ward off the possibility of lockjaw from injuries.

Victim No. 1 to ask for aid at the dispensary was Willie Parrish, 9 years old, 1230 Drury avenue. Willie was playing with a friend named Clarence Cott, who was handling a pistol. It was accidentally discharged and a piece of the gun wad entered the palm of Willie's left hand.

A blank cartridge which S. Stern, 10 years old, 571 Campbell street, accidentally discharged, injured his right hand. He went to the emergency hospital and Dr. Gist cauterized the wound and gave him an injection of tetanus anti-toxin.


William Meyer, 14 years old, 2108 West Prospect avenue, was wounded yesterday afternoon while playing with a 22-caliber pistol. A wad struck him on the left hand, which was dressed in the emergency hospital. The surgeon made use of 1,5000 units of the anti-toxin which Dr. W. S. Wheeler secured to prevent tetanus infection.

Powder burns, suffered when his brother, John, snapped a toy pistol containing a blank cartridge, probably will cost Charles Grube, aged 6 years, 838 South Pyle street, Armourdale, the sight of his right eye.

Only a few boys and no grown-ups were arrested yesterday for noisy celebration of the Fourth. One boy was taken in at Central police station during the forenoon for exploding a cannon cracker on West Fifth street. His father appeared in a few minutes. Only $4 was necessary too get this juvenile lawbreaker from behind the bars. Police station Nos. 9, 5, 4 and 6 also made an arrest apiece, all the boys being released on minimum bonds.

Thomas Rogers, a negro 14 years old, applied at the emergency hospital last night for treatment, saying he feared he was suffering from lockjaw. Thomas shot himself in the hand with a toy pistol July 2. A piece of the cap was imbedded in the skin. One thousand five hundred units of anti-toxin was administered, and the boy sent home. He was instructed to keep his hand in hot water during the night.

Probably the most serious accident in Kansas City, Kas., was the injury sustained by S. A. Brophy, a street car conductor, living at 332 North Tenth street. The wadding from a blank cartridge entered his left thigh on the inside of the leg and caused a wound which Dr. W. R. Palmer, the attending physician, said last night might prove serious. Brophy was talking to a fellow street car conductor, L. J. Clark, when the latter pointed a gun at him and pulled the trigger.


Roy Irvine, 5 years old, was injured by a piece of tin which flew from a torpedo and buried itself in the third finger of his left hand. He was treated at the home of his father, R. W. Irvine, 727 Central avenue.

Herman Fielder, 11 years old, was shot through the palm of his left hand by the wadding from a blank cartridge. He was attended by Dr. J. A. Davis, and removed to his home, 940 Ohio avenue. Charles Orr, 931 Tenney avenue, held a firecracker in his left hand while it exploded and may lose the index finger of his left hand as a result. He was attended by Dr. J. A. Davis. Mrs. M. Westerman, 318 North Tenth street, fell and dislocated her left shoulder while attempting to get away from a bunch of firecrackers which had been thrown near her. Mrs. Westerman is 62 years old, and was suffering great pain last night. She was attended by Dr. J. A. Davis.

Nathan Spicer, a merchant at 40 North James street, shot himself through the palm of the right hand while explaining the mechanism of a revolver to a prospective customer. He was attended by Dr. C. H. Brown, assistant police surgeon. James Whipple, 20 North James street, was struck by a flying particle during an explosion near his home and was burned on the left hand.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

June 29, 1909


Kansas City Vaudeville Actress a
Victim of Tuberculosis.

Mrs. Ruby Kane D'Audrae, a vaudeville actress of 3944 Woodland avenue, died of tuberculosis after a four months' illness at 1:30 o'clock yesterday afternoon. Her husband, Robert D'Audrae, and her father and mother, Mr. and Mrs. P. J. Kane, are in the amusement business, the two first named somewhere in Ohio. Mrs. Kane is in Wellington, Mo. Only the mother could be notified last night.

Mrs. D'Audrae was 23 years old. Seven years ago she graduated from the Academy of St. Aloysius at Eleventh street and Prospect avenue. Her voice, which is said to have been exceedingly strong and sweet, attracted considerable attention at school. Three years after finishing the academy she followed her father and mother to the footlights. She was heard in the Sparks theater in Kansas City, Kas., two seasons ago.

Funeral arrangements have not been made.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

June 10, 1909


Jury After Seven Hours Finds
Him Not Guilty.

After having deliberated from 3 o'clock yesterday afternoon, the criminal court jury, in a verdict returned at 10 o'clock last night, acquitted Leon H. Brady, who was on trial for killing Joseph E. Flanagan.

But twenty or thirty persons were in the courtroom when the verdict was announced, including the defendant's wife. As it dawned upon her that her husband was a free man, she into his arms, and he caressed her tenderly.

Little "Billy" Brady, their 2-year-old child, was out at his Grandmother Brady's, 2115 Benton boulevard, but J. H. Brady, his grandfather, was there to hear the verdict, as were General Milton Moore and Horace Kimbrell, lawyers for the defense.

Brady's father expressed a wish to thank the jury, but Judge Ralph S. Latshaw forbade him. The freed man left the courthouse with his wife, going to the home of his father to get "Billy," then they returned to 2421 Prospect avenue, which has been their boarding place since the trouble at the Angelus.

The jury took about fifteen ballots before a verdict was reached. Some of the jurors held out for manslaughter in the fourth degree until far into the night.

Labels: , , , , ,

April 28, 1909


Mrs. Gross's Death Caused by Butter-
milk She Drank Last February.

Mrs. Alice M. Gross, 34 years old, a member of the Kansas City Art Club and formerly a teacher in the art department of the Manual Training high school, is dead at the home of her brother, Dr. Franklin E. Murphy, at 1100 Prospect avenue. She was the wife of Herman W. Gross of St. Louis. Death was the result of ptomaine poisoning contracted from drinking buttermilk while visiting in St. Louis last February.

Mrs. Gross had several times visited Europe and received her artistic training there. While studying in Paris some of her paintings attracted attention and were exhibited in the salons of the Louvre and the Champs Demars. She won a scholarship in the Chace School of Art of New York for the best collection of original studies.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

April 6, 1909


In Course of Construction on Lin-
wood Boulevard, and Will Be
Ready October 1.

Work is being pushed on the new thirty-apartment flat building now in the course of construction on Linwood boulevard, covering the entire block from Prospect to Wabash avenue. It is expected it will be completed and ready for occupancy by October 1.

The building is to be three stories high, and constructed of brick and cut stone. Facing on Linwood boulevard, it will have five entrances, each one leading to six apartments. Four large stone columns supporting individual porches line the entrances.

Each apartment will have six rooms, two living rooms, a parlor, a bedroom, kitchen and dining room. This is exclusive of the bath room. The interior decorations are to be of polished oak and mahogany with the exception of the bath and bedrooms, which will be finished in white enamel. The parlors will open onto the porches. Floors in all the apartments are to be of polished oak.

The building, which has not yet been named, is being built by W. H. Collins at a cost of about $100,000. John W. McKecknie is the architect. Already the foundations have been laid and work on the first story will be commenced about the middle of this week.

Labels: , , , ,

April 3, 1909



Strong Men Weep as Jimmie
Palermo, Whose Father Saw
Him Hurt, Is Taken From
Under the Wheels.

While running across the street car tracks on Eighth street near Forest avenue about 4 o'clock yesterday afternoon, "Jimmie" Palermo, 5 years old, was run down by Independence avenue car 247, westbound, and injured to such an extent that both of his legs had to be amputated above the knee. The operation was performed at the general hospital immediately after the accident. Dr. J. Park Neal, who amputated the boy's legs, reported last night that he had survived the operation in a marvelous manner for one so young, and that he had a fighting chance for his life.

The boy is a son of Salvatore Palermo, an Italian grocer and butcher at 1103 East Eighth street, who lives on the second floor of 1103. The father, with Mack Carter, his butcher, saw the accident. The father ran to the scene, but became frantic when he saw his child pinned down by the front trucks of the car, and had to be taken away.


Two mothers, who thought that the child might be theirs, fought with tiger like ferocity with the crowd until they got to where they could get a look at the pale face of the little fellow.

The boy lay in such a position that he could not be moved until the car was "jacked up." The wrecking crew arrived in a few minutes, and with the aid of volunteers, the car tracks were elevated sufficiently. The boy's arm slipped to his side, and three marbles fell from his nerveless grasp.

"Take hold gently, men, and lift the boy out," said the foreman of the wrecking crew as the ambulance stretcher arrived.

"I just can't do it. I have seen enough to break my heart," said a big workman with sleeves rolled to the elbows, exposing a pair of muscular brown arms. He leaned against a trolley pole and wept bitterly.

As the ambulance was leaving another mother of the neighborhood arrived and battled with the dense crowd to get a look at the injured boy. Every woman in the crowd was crying, as were some of the men, and little brothers and sisters and playmates of the boy screamed with fright and grief.


"Mr. Palermo and I were standing in the door of his store when the accident happened," said Mack Carter, the butcher at the store. "We saw little Jimmie as he started to cross the street from the north to the south side about half way between the alley and Forest avenue. When he saw the car he made a motion as if to turn back. The motorman had slowed down at first, but put on speed again. It looked as if he calculated for the boy to cross the tracks before the car reached him, but Jimmie became confused and was struck by the fender and knocked across the track. It looked like an accident to me."

The grief in the Palermo home was tragic. Between sobs, prayers were said in Italian, and supplication made to Heaven to preserve the boy's life.


While the family was in the midst of its grief a stranger appeared. Taking a card from his pocket he said, giving his name:

"Here is my card. I am a lawyer, but I got here a too late to see the accident. Send someone out into the street and get the boy's cap and those marbles. They are excellent evidence before a jury. Get the exact time of the accident , the number of the car and all the witnesses you can. I would like to handle this case for you."

Later in the evening Patrolmen William L. Cox and W. H. Schickhardt boarded car 247 and after riding to the end of the line arrested the conductor, H. E. Stoutz, 4100 East Ninth street, and the motorman, J. E. Warnike, 4600 Independence avenue. At police headquarters they made no statement and were ordered held for investigation, without bond, by Captain Walter Whitsett.

Representatives of the street car company insisted that a charge be placed against their men. Later in the evening an information was secured charging them with manslaughter in the fourth degree, a rather unusual charge while the boy was still living. They were taken to the home of Justice James H. Richardson, 2117 Prospect avenue, and arraigned on that charge. The men were then released on bond signed by representatives of their company. Their preliminary will be later. If the boy does not die, the charge will have to be changed.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

March 15, 1909


Highwaymen Gave It Back, but They
Kept the Watch.

Two unmasked white men held up and robbed Edward S. Frances of 2317 West Prospect avenue at 8 o'clock last night near Broadway and Southwest boulevard. Both highwaymen had revolvers. After relieving Frances of $1.70 in small change one of them was about to slip his gold watch into his pocket when the victim interposed.

"Look at that chain," he said. "It isn't worth much to you, is it? Well, it's made out of my dead sister's hair. Will you give it back?"

The robber obligingly detached the chain and it was the only article about Frances's person he was allowed to keep. Both then hurried away.

Labels: , , , , ,

February 13, 1909


Captain McDonald Profits Under New
Law -- Served 25 Years.

The fire and water board on Wednesday granted a pension to Captain W. H. McDonald, who has been a member of the fire department for twenty-five years. This is the first fireman's pension granted under the new law.

An applicant for a pension must have served twenty years in the department and be at least 50 years of age. Captain McDonald had served twenty-five years and is 58 years old. The pension fund is derived from a 2 per cent deduction from the members' salaries.

Lieutenant John Burns of No. 18 engine company, Twenty-sixth street and Prospect avenue, was elected captain to fill the vacancy made by the pensioning of Captain McDonald.

Labels: , ,

February 10, 1909


Board Takes In New Territory in
Southeast Part of City.

Notice has been served on the county clerk by the board of education that the school limits have been extended to take in a territory in the southeastern part of the city. The land taken in lies between Prospect and Agnes avenues, from Thirty-fifth to Ninety-ninth streets, and between Agnes and Cleveland avenues, from Thirty-fifth to Thirty-seventh streets.

The property in question is now subject to taxation for city school purposes. The school board has the right to extend the limits after being authorized to do so by a vote of the residents of the district in question.

Labels: , , , , ,

February 4, 1909



Father Says Consent for the Vaccin-
ation of Floyd Tinsley Was
Never Given to School
Floyd Tinsley, Died After Receiving Vaccination in School

"Thorough investigation of all the facts surrounding the death of Floyd M. Tinsley, the 12-year-old son of W. G. Tinsley, 2323 Prospect avenue, which resulted from an infected vaccination wound, will be made by the boy's parents as soon as possible, and every effort will be made to place the blame for any negligence that may have caused the child's death.
"Somebody has got to answer for the boy's death," said Mr. Tinsley last night. "Somebody is responsible for it, and I'm going to find out who it is."

The vaccination, which took place in the Irving school three weeks ago Tuesday was, it is said, performed contrary to the wishes of the parents. Mr. Tinsley wished to deny the statement of an afternoon paper, which said that he had written to the school's authorities asking that the child be vaccinated.

"It's a lie," said he; "no note was ever written by me to the school about the vaccination. I would not have had it done. I have always been opposed to vaccination, and when Floyd was vaccinated it was without my knowledge."


"Three weeks ago three of the five Tinsley children were vaccinated at the Irving school by Dr. Hasbrouck De Lamater, whose office is at Thirty-fifth street and Brooklyn avenue. A few days after the vaccination Floyd's arm began to trouble him. A pasteboard guard had been placed over the vaccination wound and the boy given instructions not to remove it. Over a week ago the wound became so foul and so much refuse matter collected around it that the boy's mother thought it best to take off the cap and dress the wound with antiseptic. This she did, using powdered burnt alum as a healing medicine, and bandaging the wound with medicated cotton and clean, white cloth three times each day.

Sunday afternoon Floyd was so much worse that he was kept in bed. Late Sunday afternoon the family physician, B. F. Watson, who lives at Howard and Prospect avenues, was called in. He examined they boy and, according to his own statement and that of the boy's parents, administered calomel and salts. The mother told him of the condition of the boy's arm and, according to Mrs. Tinsley, Dr. Watson washed it out with hot water and boric acid. Dr. Watson denies the washing of the wound.

"It was late, and the light in the room was insufficient," stated," stated the doctor last night. "I really didn't know what was the matter with the boy, but no thought of possible infection occurred to me. It was not until I returned to the house Monday morning that I saw the boy had lockjaw, and then I arranged to have him taken to the hospital. It was with my recommendation that the parents allowed Floyd to be taken to the general hospital.


"I was misquoted in the afternoon paper Wednesday. It credits me with saying that infection set up in the wound after it had been dressed by the boy's parents. I did not say that, nor do I pretend to know when infection set in. If the wound became infected before it was dressed by the parents, before the pasteboard guard was removed, then the boy's death was not due to negligence of the parents."

Floyd was taken to the general hospital Monday night, over twelve hours after lockjaw had set in. There he was operated on by Dr. J. Park Neal, who was unable to save his life. Dr. Neal stated last night that everything known to medical science had been tried to save the boy, but that the infection was of too long standing.

Mr. and Mrs. Tinsley have four surviving children: Myrtle, aged 13; William, aged 9; Hazel, aged 7, and Lester, aged 4. Hazel and Myrtle were vaccinated at the same time Floyd was, and Myrtle's arm is now causing much trouble. A physician has been called to treat her in hopes that she may be saved from her brother's fate. Mr. Tinsley and his wife said last night that neither of them knew their children were to be vaccinated. They were emphatic in their stand that none of the rest should be submitted to a similar operation. Floyd Tinsley was in the fourth grade at school and under the supervision of Miss Edna Miller, his teacher, and Miss Gertrude Green, the principal of the Irving school.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

December 26, 1908





Little Ones Came From Suburban
Places and Swelled the Throng
Beyond Expectation -- More
Toys Have Been Bought.

Was it a success, the first Mayor's Christmas tree in Kansas City? It was, even more than a success, and if the committee had counted on delegates from Kansas City, Kas., Armourdale, Argentine, Rosedale, Olathe, Kas., Independence, Holden and Pleasant Hill, Mo., and a few from Chicago, Ill., all would have gone off swimmingly. As it was there were more present than presents.

The women sacked and separated 5,000 bags for boys and girls, and 2,500 sacks lay on tables on each side of the hall. Besides those, about 700 Christmas bags had been prepared specially for children in hospitals and those who were ill at home and could not come to Convention hall. It was the intention to deliver them by wagons late yesterday afternoon.

In one short hour every sack was gone, including the ones prepared for the hospitals, and many children were still in line. Over 700 tickets were given to them to come to the hall at 2 o'clock this afternoon when an effort will be made to supply them. Captain J. F. Pelletier of the purchasing committee bought toys, candies and nuts last night and a committee of tired women will be at the hall at 8 o'clock this morning to prepare them. It is estimated that fully 1,000 children who were last in line failed to get a Christmas sack.


It was stated that he doors to the main floor would be opened at 1 p. m. and that the distribution would begin at 2 o'clock. But the children began gathering at 10 o'clock, and as the wind was raw, they were admitted to the balconies of the hall.

Shortly after 1 o'clock some one gave the word "Ready" and the girls and boys rushed from the balconies and jammed into one living mass before the entrance to the arena. The wee ones were being smothered and, in order to save lives, the crowd had to be admitted to the floor.

On the right side was a big placard reading "BOYS" and on the left another reading "GIRLS." Instead of mingling about the hall and looking at the trees and watching the antics of the five Santa Clauses under the two great evergreens, the boys massed before the chute leading to their side and the girls did likewise on the other side.

Patrolmen William M. Meyers, Elvin Gray, T. L. Savidge, George H. Moseley and Thomas McNally, who were rigged in full regalia as the five Saints Nick did all they could to detract the attention of the children, but they had their eyes on those Christmas bags, and the lumbering antics didn't even win a grin.

There was nothing to do but start the ball, and start it they did. The first boy to get his goodies was George Cook, 11 years old, of 115 North Prospect avenue. A committeeman placed the imprint of a little Christmas tree on the back of George's left hand with a rubber stamp and indelible ink. He grabbed his sack, sailed through the chute and squatted immediately outside the door to see what he had. He was soon followed by a mob of other boys, just as curious, and soon the doorway had to be cleared by a policeman as there was a boy to every square foot.


At the head of the girls' line stood Ester Cronkhite, 11 years old, 1700 Fremont avenue. In her arms she carried her 2-year-old sister, Alice. Both were given appropriate sacks and, heavily laden, little Ester labored on. The children were given street car tickets home. One ticket entitled tow to a ride.

Most attention was paid to the boys, as it was believed that they -- the little scamps --- would do some duplicating. Soon after it was seen that their hands were being stamped several boys appeared in line with gloves on. And so did some of the girls. When the jam on the boys' side got beyond control Detective Thomas Hayde mounted a box and, in stentorian tones commanded, "Here, you kids, quit that pushing. Don't you see you're smothering these kids here in the front? Stand back there. Quit that."

"Hully chee," said one boy, "dere's de chief. Skedoo back kids and beehave er we won't git nuttin."

From that announcement there was a line formed out of the boys and there was little crowding. "De chief's here," went down the line. "See 'im hollerin' on de box dere." That settled it with them.


On the girls side there was nothing short of chaos. About nine stalwart coppers -- out of thirty detailed at the hall -- under Captain John Branham, could no t keep them in line. They actually shoved the police to one side. "O'm demmed, eh? Oi aint timpted tuh give 'em the loight schlap," said one policeman, who had been shoved about ten feet by the little girls, "but 'twudn't do, all being gerrels, ye know."

While the bulk of the eagle eyes were on the boys to see that they played no tricks and did no repeating, the girls did a rushing business on that very line. At the head of the line were bags for little girls, and the big ones got theirs further on. Many of the "mediums," which could pass for both, got both. One was seen to get a sack, hold it under her cloaK with one hand, while with the other hand she gratefully received another.

Still others would get their sack and immediately pass it over the chute to a waiting companion on the outside while she passed on and got a second present from another woman. Many of the sharp boys whose hands had been stamped and who could not get back in line were seen to do this same thing.


"Gimme 'nother for my little brother what's sick at home an' can't come. Gimme one fer my sister with th' mumps. Gimme one fer my little cousin what has fits an' can't come. Gimme 'nother one fer my half little brother what's visitin' an' won't be home 'till New Years. Gimme 'nother, please, fer a kid what lives by me an' sprained his leg so he can't git his shoes on any more this year."

The foregoing excuses were given by the boys and girls in line, and there were possibly a hundred others. No one could refuse them, as many cried to make the play strong.

Many little ones got lost from brothers and sisters, and the five Santa Clauses were kept busy carrying them about hunting for relatives and companions with whom they had come. All were crying. R. S. Crohn found a little fellow's brother for him three times, and when he got lost again turned him over to Santa Claus. Finally a room was set apart for the lost ones and by the time the festivities were over all lost children had been restored.


Mayor Thomas T. Crtittenden, Jr. , mistaken in the time he should have been there, arrived at Convention hall with Franklin Hudson, just as the last of the bags had been given out to the children. There was to have been an entertainment, with a speech by the mayor, but that had to be left out. Devaney's orchestra furnished music while the children were waiting.

"It's the happiest day of my life," said the mayor. "I wouldn't have missed the little I have seen for anything. We will know better how to proceed next year, however, and will begin earlier. Another thing we will know is just how many children will be here and just what sort of presents to put up for them. Other cities may profit by our example next y ear and relieve us of such an unfortunate incident as took place today. We have more money, however, will buy more toys, more nuts, candy and fruit, and will be ready for the leftovers Saturday at 2 p. m."

"It was more than what we bargained for," said Franklin Hudson, chairman of the executive committee. "We were counting on our own children only -- but what's the difference, they are all children anyway."

"I don't care if they came here from Europe," said Captain J. F. Pelletier. "We were not looking for 1,500 outsiders, but as they weere here we are glad of it. I wish all the kids on earth had been here. At one time I thought at least half of them were here.

Another large bundle of Santa Claus letters were received at the hall yesterday, some of them being handed in by the children who came. They will be classified by districts and an effort made as far as possible to give each child just hwat it asked for. It may take several days yet, but the committee says: "We are not going to do this thing by halves."

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

September 22, 1908


"Taxpayer" Says a Crowd of Toughs
Keep People Away From Parks.

A property owner who is afraid of "the gang," in a letter signed "Taxpayer," told the park board in a letter yesterday that an awfully bad crowd of toughs hang around two saloons at Seventeenth street and West Prospect. The "taxpayer" said the operations of this gang keep people out of the park out there because the gang invariably goes to the park to "fight it out" when there is trouble in the saloons.

"A doctor accompanies the gang when it goes in the park to fight," says the "taxpayer," "presumably for emergencies." The board will investigate the complaint. The park board had a saloon closed at Seventeenth and Holly streets because it was too near a park.

Labels: , , , ,

September 5, 1908


Mr. and Mrs. Philip S. Brown, Jr.,
Will Cross Pacific on Wedding Tour.

Philip S. Brown, Jr., and Miss Ethel A. Wolf, 510 Prospect avenue, were married on August 13, but the wedding was kept a secret until yesterday. The ceremony was performed at the home of the bride by the Rev. Father P. J. O'Donnell of St. Joseph's chapel. The couple will leave for a tour of China, Japan and the Philippine islands in a few weeks.

Mr. Brown has held several offices under the city governmnet and is a member of the firm of Brown & Mann. Miss Wolf's father is a real estate dealer.

Labels: , ,

August 27, 1908


Earl Flynn, in Dancing Stunt, on
Next Week's Bill.

The stars of the free vaudeville at Carnival park next week will be Mazuz and Mazette, the comedy acrobats who have been seen several times at the Orpheum theater. Earl Flynn, the Kansas City boy, who has played the last two seasons with the Al G. Fields Minstrels, and formerly with the West Minstrels, Ward and Vokes, "Fiddle-Dee-Dee" and other companies, will have a novelty dancing stunt on the same bill.

Flynn was born in Kansas City and attended the Lathrop school. His father, William Flynn, was in business here and in Kansas City, Kas., for nearly twenty years. Flynn lives at 3334 Prospect avenue. Others in the bill are Clifford and Robbins, character singers, and E., J. Olson, banjoist, formerly of the Olson brothers. The bill is up to the standard of the Napanees, who are making a great success this week in the free vaudeville at Carnival park.

Labels: , , ,

July 26, 1908


Tries to Leave Car With Stolen
Purse, and Breaks Skull.

Retribution was swift and severe with a purse snatcher last night. A man riding in a westbound Independence avenue car at 11 o'clock last night snatched a purse from a woman in the car and ran to the rear platform. There he attempted to alight and fell upon his head, fracturing his jaw and skull.

The accident happened at Prospect and Independence avenues. The police ambulance was summoned and the injured man taken to the emergency hospital, where he was treated by Dr. Ford B. Rogers. His injuries are serious.

Labels: , , , , ,

June 29, 1908





Little Sufferer Dies as the Angelus
Is Calling the Parish to Prayer.
Thrower of the Ball
Crazed by Grief.

While playing a game of ball yesterday morning, Morris Crowe, 11 years of age, was struck on the head by a pitched ball, and died a few hours later from the injury. Morris, with six of his playmates, was playing ball in the side yard of James Green's home, 1122 Prospect avenue. Marion Green, the 11-year-old son of Mr. Green, was in the act of throwing the ball to John Crowe, Morris's brother, when Morris attempted to cross the yard. In crossing he ran directly into the course of the ball, and before his little friends could warn him of the danger, the ball had struck him fairly on the left side of his head, just above the ear.

Morris staggered and cried for help. His brother and Marion Green ran to him just as he fell to the ground, unconscious. The lads carried Morris to the terrace and began to throw water in his face in an attempt to revive him. Marion ran into the house and told his mother of the accident. Mrs. Green came out and told the boys to carry Morris into the house, but Morris had regained consciousness and refused to go in, saying that he wanted to go home. Mrs. Green bathed the boy's face and his bruise, then bandaged his head and his friends took him to his home, 2711 East Eleventh street.


Morris seemed to have recovered from the effect of the blow on his head and was able to walk home with little difficulty. His conversation was rational and he ate dinner as usual. After dinner was over he began to grow rather stupid, and his mother decided that he should have medical attention. A physician was called, and said there would be no serious result from the injury, but that the lad would naturally be somewhat bewildered by so hard a blow on the head.

At 4 o'clock in the afternoon Mrs. Crowe noticed that her son was growing worse, and immediately called in another doctor. This doctor informed Mrs. Crowe that there was no chance for her son's recovery, and she would better send for a priest at once. Two hours later the child was dead.

When Marion Green heard of Morris's death he became frantic and his talk was irrational. He dept repeating: "I killed him; I killed him." Neither Mr. Green nor his wife is able to do anything to quiet him, and he mourns over the death of his little schoolmate and playfellow bitterly. Mrs. Crowe said that she realized the little Green boy was entirely blameless, and that he felt the death of Morris as keenly as did she.


At the time of the accident Mr. Green, who is connected with the T. Green Grocery Company, was away from home. He did not arrive until after dinner, and at that time it was not thought that Morris's injuries would result fatally. It was not until 7 o'clock that the Green family heard of the lad's death.

Just as the angelus was ringing in St. Aloysius church, which is located only a few doors west of the Crowe home, Father J. C. Kelly, four Catholic sisters, Mrs. Crowe and her family were gathered at Morris's bedside. They sank to the floor on their knees in silent prayer, only to arise and find that life had left the child's body while the angelus was calling the parish to evening prayer.

John W. Crowe, the father of Morris, is a conductor on the Santa Fe railroad and was in Texas at the time of his son's death. Mrs. Crowe telegraphed the train dispatcher of his district and received the assurance that her husband would be released from duty as soon as he could be informed of his son's death. He is not expected until tonight.

Morris and Marion Green had been fast friends. Both of them were in the same class at St. Aloysious school. Almost every day the boys of the neighborhood would gather at the Green home for games of some sort, and Morris and Marion were the favorites of the crowd.


They boys who were playing ball at the time of the accident said that the ball which struck Morris was thrown with such force as to rebound from his head and strike a tree some feet distant. After striking the tree the ball again rebounded and rolled quite a distance away. The physician who attended Morris last said that the blow on the head caused a concussion of the brain and it was from the hemorrhage that death resulted.

When the news of Morris's death spread in the neighborhood, the little friends of the boy visited the Crowe home, each expressing with unmistakable sincerity, his sorrow.

Morris was one of three children in the Crowe family. He is survived by an older brother and a baby sister.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

June 13, 1908


Contracted Pneumonia While Work-
ing on the Clark Wix Case.

Charles F. Haldeman, 54 years old, one of the best known detectives on the police force, died at his home, 2218 Prospect avenue, yesterday morning from pneumonia. He had been working on the Wix case, and went to Cameron, Mo., where it is supposed he caught cold. He was in bed since Friday.

Mr. Haldeman was born in Bloomington, Ill., and came to Kansas City in his boyhood. He entered the police business fourteen years ago, when he was appointed a deputy United States marshal under General Shelby. He served in this position four years, and then went on the city detective force. For ten years he has been identified with the force and made a name for himself by clever work in many well known cases.

He leaves a widow and a son, William T. Haldeman, who lives at Independence. Five brothers survive --John R. Haldeman, Dr. O. C. Haldeman and E. D. Haldeman of Kansas City Martin Haldeman of Butler, Mo., and James Haldeman of Drexel, Mo. Four sisters are living, Mrs. L. A. Hartley, Mrs. Anna Young and Mrs. H. F. Hunt of Kansas City and Mrs. A. F. Cogswell of Wichita, Kas.

Labels: , , , ,

June 8, 1908


End Comes to Woman Who Existed
on Crackers and Water.

After having lived on "crackers and water and the power of God" for a week, Miss Kate Thuey, found in a precarious condition in her room at 722 Campbell street, Saturday afternoon, died at the general hospital yesterday afternoon at 1 o'clock. Miss Thuey was in a dying condition when taken into the hospital and she steadily grew worse. Dr. G. B. Thompson, coroner, pronounced her death due to starvation and kidney trouble. In her stomach there was found a quantity of undigested crackers and nothing more.

Miss Thuey has two sisters living in this city, Mrs. John Owens, 2601 Independence avenue, and Mrs. Lucy Mahoney of Twenty-fifth street and Prospect avenue. These sisters had lost trace of her some years ago. At that time she began to appear dissatisfied with her home life and would have nothing to do with her family. After she let home she kept in communication with her sisters and family for a few months only . Mrs. Owens said she had done everything to find out her sister's whereabouts but was unable to.

The first they heard of her for five years was the account of her demented condition in yesterday's Journal. Mrs. Owens told the coroner that at all times her sister and herself had been anxious to help Miss Thuey, but that she consistently refused to accept any aid. It was said that she is supposed to have about $3,000 in a bank in Kansas city, that sum being her share of her father's estate. This has not been ascertained as a fact; the abject state of poverty in which the woman was found by the police would not substantiate the theory.

The sisters of Miss Thuey put forward the theory that in her demented state the woman had become a miser and was hording away her meager earnings.

Labels: , , , , , ,

June 7, 1908


Assistant Fire Chief Was Injured
While Trying to Spare Another.

Joseph H. Rayburn, assistant fire chief, died last night at 6:30 o'clock from injuries sustained in an accident while going to a fire May 19. Mr. Rayburn was at home for lunch, when an alarm of fire from the home of Dr. B. F. Watson, 2401 Wabash avenue, was turned in. Mr. Rayburn used his buggy in going for his meals, so the alarm was telephoned to his house, and he started to the scene of the fire. Rayburn, in driving on Wabash, collided with the cart of a by delivering papers. In attempting to avert the collision, he swerved sharply, turning his buggy over and throwing him against an iron lamp post.

He was unconscious when picked up and taken to St. Joseph's hospital. The injuries were thought not to be dangerous, but peritonitis developed later.

Mr. Rayburn lived at 3031 Prospect avenue with his wife and two sons. He was 47 years of age.

Mr. Rayburn was one of the best liked men on the fire department. He was appointed to the department and assigned to No. 8 engine company, December 21, 1886. He was promoted to a captain November 4, 1895, and placed in charge of No. 18 engine company. January 7, 1907, he was appointed sixth assistant chief, and placed in command of engine company No. 14, located at Twenty-sixth and Prospect avenue.

The funeral will be held Monday morning at 9:30 o'clock at the residence, 3031 Prospect avenue. Services will be held at the New Annunciation church, corner of Linwood and Benton boulevards, at 10 o'clock. Interment will be in Mount St. Mary's cemetery.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

May 26, 1908


Taken by William Becker and His
Wife on a Northeast Car.

William Becker and wife, 413 Prospect avenue, were suffering yesterday from a most unusual injury received Sunday night on an eastbound Northeast-Rockhill car. The accident occurred on one of the new cars, and in one of the long seats running parallel at the rear of the car. Just as the car rounded the curve into Maple avenue, Becker and his wife, from some source unseen by them, received such a terrific shock of electricity that they were thrown across the car to the opposite seats.

Becker was at work in the city market yesterday for C. L. Reeder, a fish merchant, but his right arm was practically useless and his right let was also in bad shape. He said his wife was shocked on the right side below the waist.

"I can't imagine where the shock came from," said Becker, "but I know that it was so strong that it almost blinded me for a moment. The conductor told me afterwards that his shoulder was almost dislocated when he grabbed me as I was thrown from the seat. I have heard of cars being charged with electricity on damp nights, and as it was very damp Sunday it may be that this car was in that state.

Labels: , , , ,

May 13, 1908


Francis Phillips, a Jackson County
Pioneer, Is Dead.

A citizen of Jackson county since 1850, Francis Phillips, father of Captain Thomas Phillips, license inspector, died yesterday at the home of the latter, aged 90 years.

Mr. Phillips was a native of Monahan county, Ireland, and came direct from there to Independence. On a farm one mile north of that city he lived for forty-five years and eighteen years ago came to Kansas City to reside with his son. Three other children survive him: Mrs. E. J. Cannon and Mrs. George Brangin of this city, and Frank Phillips, living near Olathe, Kas., who was formerly a member of the Missouri legislature.

The burial is to be in Independence cemetery tomorrow forenoon, after services at the home, 3540 Central street, at 8:30 o'clock, and at St. Aloysius church, Eleventh street and Prospect avenue, at 9:30 o'clock.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

May 9, 1908


Returned to Smallpox Hospital After
a Jaunt About Town.

The two girls, Edna Sickler, 12, and Grace Kaufman, 13 years old, were returned to quarantine at St. George hospital near the Milwaukee bridge late last night. Edna Sickler was the first to arrive at 9 p. m., in company with her father, Edward Sickler. At 11:15 o'clock Grace Kaufman was taken back by the guard, Morris S. Sharp. Both girls escaped from quarantine where smallpox patients are confined and were gone thirty-four and thirty-six hours, respectively.

While the police were supposed to be looking for them a citizen who had seen their descriptions in Friday's Journal called up the smallpox hospital and told Dr. George P. Pipkin, in charge there, that he believed both girls were with the Kaufman girl's father at Twenty-ninth and Spruce streets.

The girls reported that they walked from the smallpox hospital to the end of the Fifth street line -- both had previously begged a nickel from their mothers -- and transferred until they had reached the vicinity of Twenty-ninth and Prospect. There, as if by prearrangement, they met Frank Kaufman, Grace's father. He took the girls with him to cut grass on Prospect avenue between Twenty-eighth and Twenty-ninth and took them home with him in the evening.

Dr. Pipkin said that Kaufman would be prosecuted for harboring a person with a contagious disease without reporting the fact. Kaufman told Sharp that the girls said they had been discharged.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

March 28, 1908


Even Though He Had to Call on the
Police for Help.

"I want some of you fellows here to call James Green, the old man, at Twelfth and Prospect, and have him call Jimmy Green, young Jimmy, his son, at Twelfth and Montgall, and have Jimmy tell his wife to go out on the back porch and take in them tomato plants. They'll sure freeze if they stay out all night tonight."

The foregoing request was made by an aged man who strolled into police headquarters last night and announced that he was "in deep trouble and needed some help." The request was so unusual, and as it was made in a drawling tone, the police only laughed. The old man's feelings appeared to be hurt because no one would take him seriously.

"I mean just what I say," he insisted. "I have been making a garden for young Jimmy Green. A short time ago I sowed tomato seed in a box. The plants came up and today I put the box out in the sun and went away and left it. When it began to turn cold a little while ago I thought of them tomato plants and want young Jimmy's wife to take 'em in, so I do. They'll all be ruined if she don't."

When it was seen that the old gardener was serious, James Green was called over the telephone. He said he would tell "young Jimmy" and that he knew young Jimmy would tell his wife. The old man was contented at this information and kindly thanked all who had aided him in saving the tomato plants. He game the name of John Hiltbrunner, and his residence as 309 Walnut street.

"I used to own 200 acres of the best land in Iowa," he said sadly. "My children all grew up, married and left me. After that my wife died. Then I lost my homestead and have virtually been turned out upon the world to make a living at the age of 63 years. Knowing nothing but farming I have been making my way as a gardener and manage to keep the wolf away when the season is on."

When asked why he did not go to live with some of his married children the old man hung his head. "Oh , you know how children are when they marry and settle down for themselves. Sometimes they forget the old folks."

Labels: , , , , , , ,

March 11, 1908


Thomas T. Crittenden, Jr., and James
A. Reed Spoke There Last Night.

For the first time in the history of Tenth ward Democracy, Posey's hall, Twenty-sixth and Prospect, was not large enough to accommodate the hundreds that turned out to hear the speeches last night of Thomas T. Crittenden, Jr., James A. Reed, Hamil Brown, former Congressman Butler of Ohio and others. Thre were a number of women present. Mr. Crittenden promised, if elected mayor, a safe, sane and business administration of city affairs and to appoint a utilities commission that will fearlessly and honestly investigate the public service corporations.

Mr. Reed was in a particularly entertaining mood and presented facts and figures relating to municipal affairs that seemed to take well with his hearers.

Labels: , , , ,

March 1, 1908





Caught Between Two Cars at Fif-
teenth and Prospect While Mak-
ing a Coupling -- Death
Quickly Results.
William Brennan, Crushed Between Street Cars.

Meeting the death which he daily feared during the twenty years of service for the Metropolitan Street Railway Company, William Brennan, division superintendent for the Fifteenth street line, was crushed to death between two cars at Fifteenth street and Prospect avenue about 7 o'clock last night, while making a coupling.

After the rush hour the trailers are taken from the cars at Fifteenth street and Prospect avenue, and in strings of two or three are hauled to the barn by a work bar. One trailer had already been coupled to the work car by Brennan and a negro assistant and Brennan was stooping over working with the rear coupler when the second trailer struck him. His breast bone was crushed and he lived only about fifteen minutes after the accident.

It was no part of Brennan's regular duties to assist in coupling the trailers to the work car, the negro who was helping him being employed for that purpose. But in order to keep the lines in his division clear, he frequently took charge of the work in order to hurry it and get the trailers out of the way as quickly as possible.

The cars with which Brennan was working were empty, and there was no one to warn him of the danger, the negro being on the rear end of the second trailer and not seeing Brennan's plight in time to cry out.

It was said last night at Brennan's home, 3815 Dixon avenue, that ever since he began work for the Metropolitan Street Railway Company twenty years ago as a gripman he had feared that he would meet his death in a street car accident.

"He aways said that he was going to die while at work, and I have been afraid for him every day while he has been on duty," said the widow, Mrs. Mary Brennan, last night. But when he was promoted to be assistant division superintendent and didn't have to be on the cars all the time I hoped that the danger was over."

Mr. Brennan had been division superintendent for four years, and was known as one of the hardest working men in the street railway company's employ. He was 50 years old, and leaves a widow and three children, May, Queen, and Harvey. The coroner took charge of the body, and ordered it taken to O'Donnell's undertaking rooms.

Labels: , , , , , ,

February 12, 1908


Two Motormen Are Injured in Early
Morning Accident.

Car 158 on the Prospect line dashed into the car ahead of it at Thirty-third street and Prospect avenue last night just after 1 o'clock. Something was wrong with the motor of the fist car and the trolley was off while repairs were being made. Both cars were headed south on a down grade.

The rear car was not seen in time to be flagged, and in spite of every effort of the rear motorman, James Turney, to stop his car, there was a crash that entirely demolished the front vestibule of the car, knocking out both front and rear motors and breaking one of Turner's ankles.

On the front car the rear vestibule was crushed in and W. C. Forest, the motorman, suffered a broken thumb.

Both men had their injuries attended by Dr. A. W. Davis at his home, 3306 Prospect. Few passengers were on the cars and none was hurt.

Labels: , , ,

January 24, 1908



Edward Horliss Killed His Mother-
in-Law Because She Protected
His Wife -- Baby in
Court Room.

The appearance of a 7-months-old babe, daughter of Edward Horliss, in its mother's arms in the criminal court room yesterday afternoon, probably saved Horliss from being sentenced to hang. He was on trial for the murder of his mother-in-law, Mrs. Susan Selby, in her home at 542 North Prospect avenue, in June of 1907. Prosecuting Attorney Isaac B. Kimbrell was ready to appear before the jury in behalf of the state and urge that Horliss be given the extreme penalty for his crime, which was most brutal. But when he saw the child in its mother's arms, realizing the disgrace it would bring upon it in after years, he recommended, after talking with the witnesses for the state, that the court accept the plea of guilty which Horliss was ready to enter in order to escape the gallows. Judge Wallace accepted the plea, and Horliss was sentenced to life imprisonment.

His eyes were glaring, his teeth set firmly, showing no sign of emotion. Horliss entered the court room about 1 o'clock to await his fate. Beside him was his mother, Mrs. Mary Tribe of Randolph, Mo., a little, bent woman, who showed signs of months of worry because of the disgrace brought upon her by her son, yet standing by him and giving every evidence of a mother's love.

Before consenting to have the court accept the plea of guilty, Prosecutor Kimbrell called the state's witnesses into private consultation and asked what they wished done in the matter. Most of the asked that Horliss be given the prison sentence and stated that the dying request of Mrs. Selby was that her son-in-law not be hanged. Mr. Kimbrell then talked with the wife of the murderer, who was carrying the infant in her arms, and she, too asked that the court accept the plea of guilty and not hang her husband, although she was a strong witness for the state and not willing for him to have less than a life sentence.

Horliss then stood before the court and was asked if he and anything to say before he was sentenced to life imprisonment. He bent his head and answered "no." When the sentence had been imposed he seemed much more cheerful than before and smiled. He later expressed himself as being satisfied that he had escaped the gallows. Not once during the time he was in the court room did he even glance toward his wife and child.

The murder of Mrs. Susan Selby resulted from a quarrel between Horliss and his wife. Horliss was a hard drinker. He was married to Mrs. Horliss eight years ago. They had five children, three of whom are dead. Some time before the murder Horliss began to abuse his wife and would not support her. Mrs. Horliss left her husband and went to live with her mother, the latter not allowing her to return to him. This angered Horliss. He went to the home of his mother in law and fired three shots into her body, two of them after she had fallen to the floor. The infant which saved its father from hanging was born the day after the murder.

Labels: , , , , , ,

December 22, 1907


Police Get Reports of Losses of Money
and Valuables.

That Christmas shoppers are somewhat careless is shown by the police reports of yesterday, four persons having lost valuables in the shopping district. In one dry goods store, Mrs. Katherine M. Murley, 1209 West Fourtieth street, left her chatelaine bag, containing a gold watch with a diamond in the back, and some money. Another woman, whose description the police have, was seen to pick up the bag and package and leave the store.

In the same store, Mrs. Lucy Allen, 607 Prospect avenue, left ehr purse, containing $13 in cash and a note for $1,100. The note, made payable to Mrs. Allen, is signed by Walter Allen.

J. P. Glangles, 3220 Forest avenue, reported lost in the shopping district a gold cross three inches in length. On the back is engraved, "Zonie, June 21, 1906."

J. E. Enfield, 7124 Independence avenue, reported lost a small black pocketbook containing $55.

Labels: , , , ,


Get the Book
Vintage Kansas City Stories ~ Early 20th Century Americana as Immortalized in The Kansas City Journal
Kansas City Stories

Early Kansas City, Missouri

The Son of Jesse James is Accused of a Train Robbery at Leeds ... Can he get a fair trial in Kansas City?
The Trial of Jesse James, Jr.

>>More KC Books<<

As an Amazon Associate this site may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

The History and Heritage of Vintage Kansas City in Books
Vintage Kansas
City Bookstore

Powered by Blogger

Vintage Kansas

Vintage Antique Classics ~ Vintage Music, Software, and more Time Travel Accessories

In association with
KC Web ~ The Ultimate Kansas City Internet Directory