Find Kansas City Antiques and Collectibles at the Vintage Kansas City Marketplace ~ Own a Piece of Old KC

Vintage Kansas



Old News
Headlines and Articles from The Kansas City Journal

Business Office...4000 Main
City Editor.....4001 Main
Society Editor....4002 Main

Two cents. Subscription Rates:  By carrier, per week, 10 cents; per month, 45 cents.  By mail, daily and Sunday, one month, 40 cents; three months, $1.00; six months, $2.00; one year, $4.00.  Sunday only, six months, 75 cents; one year, $1.50.  Weekly Journal, 25 cents one year.

Like Vintage Kansas City on Facebook

As We See 'Em ~ Caricatures of Prominent Kansas Cityans

The Isis Theatre ~ Kansas City, Missouri

The History of Fairmount Park

Claims of Cancer Cured by Dr. Bye in Vintage KC Missouri

Special Cut Prices ~ Always the Same

Blogging Fusion Blog Directory

August 3, 1909



Police of St. Joseph Think
They've Found Him.
Four-Year-Old Harry Jacobs, Kidnaped.

Lured by a stick of candy, Harry Jacobs, 4 years old, was kidnaped yesterday afternoon from in front of his stepfather's parents, Mr. and Mrs. T. H. Jacobs, 1508 Olive street. The kidnaper, who worked for two hours before accomplishing his end, meets a description of the boy's uncle.

Half crazed at the the loss of her boy, from whom she had been separated for over three years, Mrs. Jacobs collapsed at the Union depot yesterday afternoon while searching for him. Dr. M. W. Pichard, who attended her, said her condition was serious. No trace of the child was found.

At 3 o'clock yesterday afternoon the missing child was seen at the Union depot by a waiting passenger. In the mean time a dozen relatives, assisted by the police, scoured the city for the little fellow all afternoon and evening, but up to a late hour last night had found no trace of him.

Almost four years ago Della Craft of St. Joseph, Mo., was married to Harry Burke of that place. They were divorced a few months later. Mrs. Burke would not live at home, and she could not find employment where she could keep her boy with her, so she arranged with her mother to care for him. She says that she paid her mother $10 a month to care for the child.


Three months ago at Horton, Kas., Mrs. Burke married Harry Jacobs, a cook. Before the ceremony he promised her that she could have the boy live with her.

In the meantime Mrs. Jacob's mother married Frank Baker, who became greatly attached to the boy and did not want to give him up. The child was finally given to his mother and her husband, and they departed for Eastern Kansas. They came to Kansas City about two weeks ago.

For the first few days they stopped at the home of Jacob's parents, Mr. and Mrs. T. H. Jacobs, 1508 Olive street. They then found apartments at 1613 Park Avenue.

Little Harry Jacobs developed a fondness for his new "grandma" and spent much of his time at her house, only a short distance from his home. Yesterday morning a man who, the mother declares, was her brother, appeared in the neighborhood of the Olive street address. A tinner was doing work on an adjoining house. The stranger asked the boy if he could not help him and the tinner gave him a dime for assistance in carrying tools and tin to the roof.


A few minutes after 1 o'clock Mrs. Jacobs received the news that her son had been kidnaped She was told that a man who answers the description of her brother had lured the child away with a stick of candy. The child, she was told, recognized the man and willingly accompanied him.

Mrs. Jacobs ran to her step-mother's home. Neighbors hurried to her aid. Jacobs was summoned from his work and he called for his father. The quartette, accompanied by neighbors, hastened to the Union depot. There Mrs. Jacobs was told by a waiting traveler that a boy answering the description of her son accompanied by a man who she says she believes to be her brother and a woman whom she thinks is her mother, had been seen in the station just a short while before.

At that Mrs. Jacobs became hysterical and collapsed. She was carried to the invalids' room in the depot, where Dr. M. W. Pickard was summoned to attend to her. In the meantime friends had organized searching parties and the police of both Kansas City and St. Joseph were notified.


ST. JOSEPH, MO., Aug. 2. -- The police of South St. Joseph investigated this end of the kidnaping story of Harry Jacobs in Kansas City today, and believe the kidnaped boy is now at the home of Frank Baker, 225 West Valley street, South St. Joseph. The police say they have no official request from Kansas City to make an arrest.

Frank Baker is a carpenter, who has been employed by Swift & Co. at the packing plant for several years. The police claim not to know Clarence Craft, said to be a brother of the kidnaped child's mother.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

April 10, 1909



Was Prominent Politician and Busi-
ness Man and Member of Many
Orders -- Had Lived in Kansas
City Thirty-Seven Years.
Charles C. Yost, Dead at 47.

Charles C. Yost, prominent Republican politician and partner in the Smith-Yost Pie Company, died last night at his home, 3032 Park avenue, after an illness of a week. His trouble was inflammation of the brain.

Mr. Yost was born 47 years ago in Rochester, Ind. Charles was only 10 years old when his parents brought him to Kansas City. He received a common school education and graduated from the Kansas City High school at the age of 16 years. He was only 19 years old when he became a clerk in a grocery store, a position which he held for two years and a half. At the end of that time he had accumulated enough money to go into the grocery business with L. M. Berkeley as a partner. Unfortunately, during the boom years of 1885-6-7 the firm invested heavily in real estate and went down with a large number of other business houses when the boom burst. The partnership made an assignment.

It wasn't long, however, before Mr. Yost was on his feet again. He organized the Yost Grocery Company and operated it for four years, selling out in 1894. After that he became the owner of a novel concern called Yost's Market. A short time later he went into the business of manufacturing pies, and rapidly built up his business. In 1902 he consolidated his interests with those of Howard Smith.

Mr. Yost was an ardent Republican all his life. He was appointed city assessor by Mayor Webster Davis in 1895, and reappointed for two terms by Mayor Jones. He was chairman of the Republican county committee for several years and a member of many republican clubs.

He was married to Miss Hattie M. Beedle of Johnson county, Kas., in 1883. Six children survive. They are Leroy, Charles, Joseph, Mrs. Pearl Yost Dietrich, Miss Nina and Miss Jeannette. All of them live in this city.

Mr. Yost was a mason, a member of the Knights of Pythias, Woodmen of the World, Order of American Mechanics and several other societies.

Funeral services will b e held from the home Sunday at 3:30 p. m. The Rev. E. C. Smith, pastor of the Linwood Methodist church, will officiate. Burial will be in Mount Washington.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

April 1, 1909


Walter Lillis, 16 Years Old, Injured
at Burd & Fletcher Plant.

While looking down the elevator shaft yesterday afternoon at the Burd & Fletcher Printing Company's plant 717 Wyandotte street, Walter Lillis, 16 years old, an errand boy, was caught between the descending elevator and the gate in front of the shaft. Before the elevator could be stopped the boy was "scalped." He was hurried to the emergency hospital, where he was treated by Dr. W. L. Gist. Though his injuries are dangerous, the physicians were positive that he will recover.

The boy had looked down the elevator shaft and shouted an order to a man on the lower floor just before the accident occurred. He was not looking and did not hear the descending elevator until it struck his head. The scalp was torn loose from the occipital region of the skull and it required a delicate operation to replace it. The boy did not require an anesthetic during the operation. He was taken to his home at 662 Park avenue.

Labels: , , , , , ,

October 25, 1908


This Advice Given to Universalists'
Convention Delegates.

The delegates and visitors to the Thirty-seventh annual convention of Universalists in session at the First Universalist church, Park avenue and Tenth street, were addressed yesterday on "Psychotherapy" by Dr. J. W. Caldwell of Galesburg, Ill. He holds the chairs of psychology and sociology at Lombard university.

Dr. Caldwell declared that 80 per cent of all ills are traceable directly to the nervous system, and that the use of drugs in many instances is unnecessary. He earnestly urged upon his hearers the plan of spreading the Emmanuel movement throughout the length and breadth of the land. The Emanuel movement, which was originated in Boston with the Rev. Dr. Wooster, rector of the Emanuel Episcopal church, has to do with psychic healing conducted by a regular board of physicians. Unlike the Christian Scientists, the Universalists believe that medicine should be administered when necessary.

The morning session was Woman's day. The general theme, "Larger Work of Women," was discussed by Mrs. Wilbur S. Bell. Mrs. Clara Weeks spoke on the interesting subject, "The Work that Has Been Done, and May Be Done for Children."

Miss Gertrude Green, principal of the Irving school, delivered an address last night upon "The Ethical Care of Children." Miss Green said: "Children form good habits more readily than bad ones. The sense of personal responsibility is of utmost importance in the formation of a child's character. I am among those who believe that the world is growing better. Thirteen years of experience with children has taught me the inestimable value of careful training. Make the children realize that they are the future business men and women of the community, impress upon their minds the watchword of 'Good Citizenship,' and the result will be all that you can desire."

E. B. Hoffman, president of the Bankers' Trust Company, spoke upon "The Ethics of Banking."

The convention will close tonight.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

August 25, 1908


Police Kindly Complied With Roy
Schultz's Request.

Roy Schultz, who formerly conducted a saloon at Tenth and Wyandotte streets, rushed into police headquarters last night, folowed by a pretty young woman, and requested to be locked up, saying that he had stabbed her. The woman, who gave the name of Anna Crisp and said she lived at Twenty-sixth street and Park avenue, declared that Schultz had not stabbed her.

When questioned she admitted that she had been stabbed in both hips in a quarrel while out buggy riding. The horse had started to run away and each held a line and it was to settle the question of which should hold both reins in the emergency that the stabbings occurred. Miss Crisp said that they had been quarreling because he had spent $3,000 on her in the last three years, and he had now only $50 to his name. The woman's injuries were trivial.

Both were locked in the holdover for a short time, and then released on $11 bond each, furnished by Schultz.

Schultz and Miss Crisp came into the lime light last New Year's night when she had trouble with H. R. Schultz, Roy's father, in the north lobby of the Midland hotel. Seeing her with Roy the father tried to induce the son to go home. Miss Crisp objeted and there was a regular hand-to-hand tussle for the possession of the youth. Finally the row reached the street and young Schultz tried to get Miss Crisp into a hack, but she was yanked back by the elder Schultz and then Miss Crisp alleged he struck her. At any rate she was arrested and later released on bond put up by J. H. Adams, a big-hearted real estate man from Texas, who had witnessed the affair.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

May 4, 1908



Block Tin and Antimony Molded in
Plaster of Paris and Plated
With Silver -- He Was
Out of a Job.

George Elliot, who gave the name of George Bullene when the police arrested him and found a counterfeiting outfit in his rooms at 511 Locust street Saturday night and the woman with him, Tillie Bullene, from whom Elliot chivalrously borrowed a name, yesterday told Police Captain Walter Whitsett exactly how they make bad money.

Block tin, purchased from any tinner, and antimony are melted together and cast into plaster of paris moulds by the Elliot process. The imitation coins are then plated with nitrate of silver by the very ordinary process of electrolysis, known to every school boy. A file is used to trim off the rough edges and make the milling uniform.

Sixty-six of the alloy dollars were taken from Elliot's room. They have the ring of a real silver dollar, are very little under weight and look like good money. One has to take the Elliot brand of coin between the fingers and feel its smoothness before one would detect that it is not the genuine article. Elliot used three real dollars to make his plaster of paris molds. They are of the years 1899, 1900 and 1901. The original coins, molds, alloy, metal, electric batteries and all were found by the police.

Eliot, in his confession says he learned how to make this money from an old counterfeiter in Denver seventeen years ago, but never made use of his secret until two months ago, when he was t hrown out of employment at the Kansas City Nut and Bolt works and Tillie Bullene lost her position at the Loose-Wiles Cracker and Candy factory. Elliot's picture is in the police rogues' gallery, and he was fined $25 for vagrancy about six months ago. He is 32 years old and has spent most of his life in Kansas City. Tillie Bullene met him about a year ago.

Captain Whitsett has notified United States secret service men, Edward J. McHugh of St. Louis and J. A. Adams of Kansas City.

John G. Ritter of 325 Park avenue, a driver for the United States Express Company, yesterday identified Tillie Bullene as the woman who, a few days ago, gave him a counterfeit dollar. He had whittled the coin in two, but brought half of it to Captain Whitsett.

Labels: , , , , ,

April 3, 1908





Carried Sunday School Tract With
Little Girl's Name on It, but
the Owner Does Not
Know Her.

A young woman who was crushed by the wheels of a Belt Line engine last night at 7:30 o'clock, died tow and a half hours later at the city hospital, without being identified. The scene of the accident was where the Belt tracks are fifteen feet below street level, half way between Brooklyn and Park avenues. It is near Nineteenth street.

The woman was walking eastward and must have entered the cut three blocks west, at the street level.

To avoid the Santa Fe local No. 59, westbound, she stepped upon the other main track, and a Milwaukee engine, eastbound, struck her. Pilot Al Williams was riding to work on the engine but neither he nor the engineer, James Spencer, saw her, nor did the fireman But the flagman on the freight train did.

She lay by the track, her left arm almost severed at the shoulder, and with a contusion, possibly a fracture, on each side of her head. A broad leather cushion from the car was brought and she was carried to Eighteenth street and Brooklyn avenue to the office of Dr. I. E. Ruhl, who saw that she was dying. The police ambulance from No. 4 police station, in charge of Patrolman Smith Cook and Dr. C. V. Bates, arrived and she was taken to the general hospital.

She seemed conscious, but could not be induced to talk. The only article she carried was a Sunday school quarterly bearing the name of Loretta Kurster, 1509 East Eighteenth street.

Drs. R. C. Henderson and T. B. Clayton, who operated on the woman at the hospital. said she seemed bright and could use her vocal organs, but evidently was suffering from a skull fracture so such an extent that she did not really understand what was said to her.

Asked if she knew how she had been hurt, she replied, wonderingly, "Hurt? Why, I didn't know anything was the matter." But questions as to her identity she did not attempt to answer, and there was nothing about her person to disclose this, besides the booklet.

In the meantime it had been discovered that Loretta Kursler is a 12-year-old girl who was uninjured and busy in her mother's bakery at the address given in the book. She thought it might be a Sunday school teacher she had met at Central Baptist church, Miss Blanche Wade, but Miss Wade was found safe at her home. She at once, however, went to the hospital to see if she could identify the woman. The quarterly was found to be one pushed by the Christian denomination.

The Kursler child having recently become a pupil at the Forest Avenue Christian church, Miss Wade called Rev. J. L. Thompson of the Forest Avenue church for aid in identifying the woman. Loretta Kursler said her Christian Sunday school teacher was called Grace, but she did not know her last name. The minister accounted for every Sunday school worker by the name of Grace and everyone who teaches girls of that size. Then the chance of discovering before morning who the woman was seemed very slight.

Apparently the woman was 32 to 35 years of age. She was slightly above medium height, was fairly well fleshed, was brunette with abundance of dark hair, had delicate hands, blue-set earrings worn tight to the ear, and wore a tan jacket and a fur neck piece. No hat was taken with her to the hospital. Around her waist was fastened a package containing $8.70.

Dr. Ruhl, who first saw her, thinks it possible that the woman may have been demented, or if an employed woman may have been making a short cut home from work. In the latter case he would believe her hearing defective.

The Kursler family is at a loss to know how a Sunday school book bearing the little girl's name would come to be found in the possession of anyone not her teacher.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

March 16, 1908


Dudley Hoffman's Overcoat Later
Found on Dapper Youth.

Dudley Hoffman's overcoat was stolen yesterday morning while he was attending service in the Independence Avenue Christian church. From his home at 545 Park avenue he telephoned the police of his loss. Last evening Patrolman Robert Hoskins saw a dapper young man wearing a coat of Hoffan's description. The young man, so Hoskins reports, admits that he attended service at the Independence avenue church and that he left with the coat.

Labels: , , ,

September 3, 1907




John Dugan, Recently Divorced, Ar-
rested After His Wedding With
Margaret Delougherty -- It
Is Claimed Woman Is
of Unsound Mind.

The priest who administered the last spiritual advices to Mrs. Catherine Delougherty, of No. 1208 Guinotte street, missed her funeral yesterday morning because Marguerite Delogherty, daughter of the dead woman, was in such a hurry to get married that she had the ceremony advanced a half hour and the sexton had thrown the sod over the coffin before the holy man arrived. Friends of Mrs. Delougherty during her lifetime were astonished when they went to the house at the appointed hour, and later drove hurriedly to St. Mary's cemetery, only to find the grave filled in and the cemetery officials in charge.

"Miss Delougherty drove to the county court house," the sexton told the belated mourners, "at least that is the address her escort gave to the driver."


The Delougherty funeral was set for 10 o'clock yesterday morning. Mrs. Delougherty, 71 years old, had died Saturday night, but no wake had yet been held. The dead woman owned a large amount of real estate and was reputed to have a large sum of ready money in the bank.

Marguerite Delougherty is 35. For several months John Dugan, a switchman, employed by the Missouri Pacific railway, had boarded at the Delougherty home. Three months ago his wife, who was but 25, secured a divorce.

Yesterday morning, for a reason unknown at the time, Miss Delougherty gave orders for the funeral procession to leave the house at 9:30 o'clock. She rode in a carriage with neighbors. Dugan occupied a carriage alone in the seat of the procession.

At the grave the few friends who had arrived in time to accompany the body remonstrated with the daughter to await the coming of the priest, but she declared in authoritative manner that his coming did not matter and ordered the sexton to fill up the grave. At this juncture, as the little group of friends looked on bewildered, Dugan advanced and handed Miss Delougherty into his own carriage and told the driver to take them to the court house. The little group of friends sadly departed.


A marriage license was at once procured and by the time the priest had arrived at the cemetery, Miss Delougherty was being married to Dugan by the Rev. H. S. Chruch, of No. 328 Park avenue, who had been called to the office of the license clerk while the necessary papers were being filled in and approved.

As the priest turned away from the covered grave the daughter re-entered her carriage at the court house and she and her husband drove toward the Delougherty home. The stopped at several houses and invited their friends to a bridal feast. Before the carriage reached the home a case of beer and a jug of liquor had been taken on.

The presence of negroes mingling with white persons at the marriiage festivities attracted neighborhood attention and soon the information of a carousal at the Delougherty home was telephoned to President E. R. Weeks, of the Humane Society. Here the troubles of the married pair began. For President Weeks had investigated the Delougherty girl before, and had on his desk the opinion of a medical man that she is of unsound mind. On two occasions, President Weeks said, neighbors called his attention to Miss Delougherty's condition, and he later called in Dr. J. F. Sawyer, Fifth street and Lydia avenue, who was the Delougherty family physician. He readily gave his opinion that the girl is not always mentally reasonable.


W. H. Gibbens, assistant Humane officer, was dispatched to the Delougherty home, and soon after Patrolman Fitzgerald arrived and placed the bridegroom under arrest. He was locked up for investigation. Today a charge may be placed against, or, at the expiration of twenty-four hours, he must be released.

President Weeks said he may act under the statute which prevents the marriage of one of unsound mind or on the grounds that the probate court should become custodian of the property of the deceased.

J. W. Hogan, an assistant county prosecutor who investigated the arrest, stated that the marriage of an imbecile is not void, but that the marriage may at once be canceled by authorities if the case is proven.

Neighbors of the Deloughertys stated last night that recently the aged woman showed bruised arms and stated to them that she had been beaten. That, they say, was three weeks ago. Immediately, the neighbors state, Mrs. Delougherty was reported ill and that she was never able to leave her bed.

The bride remained last night in her mother's death chamber alone after the arrest of the groom.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

August 9, 1907


Bruises Received in Making Arrest
Indirectly the Cause.

M. C. McKee, a police officer, died yesterday of blood poisoning at Agnew hospital. He had been unconcsious for a week.

McKee received a broken nose and a severe bruise on the back of the head July 4 in a fall from a transfer wagon at the wharf at Second street and Broadway.

From his station at the Grand Central depot he was sent to stop a fight between teamsters. It was from the wagon of J. H. Hickman, a driver for the Empire Transfer Company, that he fell. His foot slipped from the wheel. Hickman is said to have jumped from the wagon and to have beaten and kicked the officer.

In police court the next morning McKee pleaded for leniency in behalf of the driver, saying he had a wife and family to support.

McKee after a two-day lay off went back to work, but collapsed after two weeks. For the last week he lay unconscious at his home, 653 Park avenue, and was removed
Wednesday to the hospital.

Coroner Thompson said last night that he will hold an inquest. Prosecutor Kimbrell will not file any information against Hickman until after the inquest. It is said that Hickman has left the city.

McKee had been on the force for four years.

Labels: , , , , ,

August 9, 1907



Misses Charlotte and Ester Marshall
and Their Mother Were Reported
by the Attending Physician
as Out of Danger
Last Night.

Four members of the family of D. E. Marshall, president of the firm of D. E. Marshall & Co. , contractors and builders, were stricken with ptomaine poisoning yesterday afternoon, and one, Mrs. Charlotte Shindel, Mrs. Marshall's mother, is still seriously ill.

It is presumed that ice cream, which had been made in the Marshall home, 924 Park avenue, caused the trouble.

On account of the heat yesterday afternoon Miss Charlotte and Miss Ester Marshall, daughters of D. E. Marshall, wanted ice cream and a freezerful was made by the domestic.

Both the young women, Mrs. Marshall and Mrs. Shindel ate of the ice cream and all were taken ill. Mr. Marsahll, who took luncheon and dinner at home, got through the day very happily and is inclined to blame the poisoning on the ice cream.

Mrs. Marshall said last night that she had no idea what made the family ill, but insisted she thought the cream was innocent.

Dr. W. S. Wheeler, who was summoned in the evening, treated the family and last night pronounce d everyone, excepting Mrs. Shindel, out of danger.

D. E. Marshall & Co., of which Mr. Marshall is president, is widely known as a contracting firm. A brick yard and planing mill are run in connection with the contracting office at 2011 East Tenth street.

Miss Ester Marshall, the elder daughter, is a student at Missouri University in her senior year.

Labels: , , ,


Get the Book
Vintage Kansas City Stories ~ Early 20th Century Americana as Immortalized in The Kansas City Journal
Kansas City Stories

Early Kansas City, Missouri

>>More KC Books<<

The History and Heritage of Vintage Kansas City in Books
Vintage Kansas
City Bookstore

Powered by Blogger

Vintage Kansas

Vintage Antique Classics ~ Vintage Music, Software, and more Time Travel Accessories

In association with
KC Web ~ The Ultimate Kansas City Internet Directory