Find Kansas City Antiques and Collectibles at the Vintage Kansas City Marketplace ~ Own a Piece of Old KC

Vintage Kansas



Old News
Headlines and Articles from The Kansas City Journal

Business Office...4000 Main
City Editor.....4001 Main
Society Editor....4002 Main

Two cents. Subscription Rates:  By carrier, per week, 10 cents; per month, 45 cents.  By mail, daily and Sunday, one month, 40 cents; three months, $1.00; six months, $2.00; one year, $4.00.  Sunday only, six months, 75 cents; one year, $1.50.  Weekly Journal, 25 cents one year.

Like Vintage Kansas City on Facebook

As We See 'Em ~ Caricatures of Prominent Kansas Cityans

The Isis Theatre ~ Kansas City, Missouri

The History of Fairmount Park

Claims of Cancer Cured by Dr. Bye in Vintage KC Missouri

Special Cut Prices ~ Always the Same

Blogging Fusion Blog Directory

January 1, 1910


Seventy-Five Colored Candles, One
for Each Year of John F. Philips'
Life, Presented at Dinner Party.

The seventy-fifth birthday of John F. Philips, federal judge, was celebrated by a dinner party, at which there were many prominent guests, in the Mid-day Club rooms, yesterday evening. One of the features of the evening was the presentation to the judge of a mammoth birthday cake containing a colored candle for each year.

The coincidence of the judge's birthday with New Years eve afforded an opportunity to those present to stay the old year out at the club. The time was well taken up with speeches and was enjoyed thoroughly by all, not excluding the host, who is yet the better of his years.

Judge Philips was born on December 31, 1824, and has been a judge of the United States district court since June 25, 1888.

Labels: , , , ,

January 1, 1910

Wishing You and Yours a Happy and Prosperous 1910.


January 1, 1910


Thousands at the Hotels and
Cafes Watch Passing
of 1909.

"It's 12 o'clock," said "Billy" Campbell, electrician at the Hotel Baltimore.

Frank J. Dean, manager of the hostelry, whose hand was on one of the big switch levers, gave it a pull, and in an instant the lights in the five dining rooms, the Pompeiian room, the grill room and the lobbies were extinguished. Bands in the dining rooms struck up "Auld Lang Syne," 1,200 diners blew souvenir horns, congratulated one another, and the new year was on.

Capacity crowds filled the dining rooms and cafes of the hotels and restaurants of Kansas City last night. At the hotels the lights were extinguished for a minute at midnight to indicate to the diners that the new year had been born. Special orchestras furnished the music and at most of the hotels the old Scotch refrain was sung.

The crowds this year were larger than last. The hotels began making reservations for last night over two weeks ago. A week ago practically all of the lists had been filled. Even at that, last night found hundreds at the big hotels, who waited in lobbies for an opportunity to get into the dining rooms before midnight.

A check system similar to that used in theaters, in which the tables were numbered and the diners held numbered checks, was inaugurated at the Hotel Baltimore this year. This avoided confusion. After dinner scores of men were put to work on the dining rooms. The tables were arranged for their guests and the decorations were put in place. The favors or souvenirs consisted of horns, in the base of which were bits of confections. The color scheme was red, roses and carnations being used in the decorations.


The doors to the dining room were opened at 10:30, but dinner was not served until 11:30. The dinner was timed to last half an hour, with the service of coffee on the tables just at midnight. Orchestras were hidden behind banks of palms and ferns in the dining rooms.

The largest crowd was in the Pompeiian room. It was also apparently the jolliest. Long before midnight hundreds of would-be diners thronged the lobby and pleaded vainly for room in one of the dining rooms. As the midnight hour approached the doorways were crowded by those who would look in, even though they could not cross the portals. The balconies above the marble room and the main banquet hall were crowded early in the evening by those who could only watch the revelers.


At the Savoy hotel the dining rooms were thrown together and the orchestra was placed in the hall so that the grill room, with its quota of stags, could be entertained. Dinner was served here at 11 o'clock. At 12 o'clock the lights were extinguished and the familiar Scotch melody was sung.

The Hotel Kupper dining room was crowded an hour before midnight and those who could not gain entrance filled the lobby and joined in the chorus of "Auld Lang Syne" when the lights were turned up after midnight.

At the Sexton hotel the crowds overflowed the dining rooms and were taken care of in the grill room in the basement.

The actors and actresses about the city had their celebration at the Century hotel. Immediately after the curtains were rung down at the various show houses a rush was made for street costumes and the members of the "profession" gathered at the Century hotel. The tables had all been reserved, and an orchestra greeted the crowd from each theater as they appeared.

The cafe of the Coates house held a capacity crowd. It was quieter than those at the other hotels.

At the Densmore, the tables in the dining room had been reserved for several weeks. Scores were turned away last night. Special music was the rule here also.

Labels: , , , , , ,

January 1, 1910


Needy Folk Fill Oak Street Hall On
New Year's Eve.

The large hall at 1416 Oak street, occupied by the Volunteers of America, was crowded to its utmost capacity last night when Major R. A. Davis, who recently took charge of the institution, opened the New Year's eve services with prayer and song.

Between 200 and 300 men, women and children of the poorer classes enjoyed the entertainment of songs and New Year's recitations. A large tree, around which were piled the treats of the evening, stood at one end of the hall.

Each one present was given a bag containing oranges, candy, nuts and cakes.

"We will serve coffee and rolls after services Sunday night," said Major Davis.

Labels: , , , ,

December 29, 1909


Carriers Will Make Morning De-
livery; Department Hours.

An extra force of clerks and carriers will be maintained at the postoffice the balance of this week to take care of the lag end of Christmas deliveries. For New Year's day the schedule will be as follows:

All carriers will make one complete delivery, leaving postoffice and carrier stations at 8:15 a. m.

Three collections of mail will be made in the business districts beginning at 7 a. m., 2 p. m. and 6 p. m.

Two collections of mail will be made in the residence districts beginning at 8:15 a. m. and 5 p. m.

General delivery, open all day.

Inquiry department, open from 8 a. m. to 11:30 a. m.

Registry division, open from 8 a. m. to 11:30 a. m.

Stamp division, open all day.

Money order division, closed.

Labels: , ,

July 26, 1909



Wife Says She Was Nervous and
Excited, and That Shooting in
Muehleback Brewery Was
Only to Frighten Him.

A daintily dressed woman talking through the grate of the cashier's window in the general office of the Muehlebach Brewing Company to her husband, a bookkeeper, at 7:30 o'clock last night, attracted little attention from the beer wagon drivers who happened to be about. Sharp words between members of the opposite sexes in the vicinity of Eighteenth and Main streets even at such an early hour in the evening are not unusual.

Suddenly the woman, Mrs. Mary O'Neill of 431 Ann avenue, Kansas City, Kas., opened her chatelaine bag and inserted her hand.

"Mary, what are you going to do?" asked her husband, Frank P. O'Neill, of 3719 Woodland avenue. Mr. and Mrs. O'Neill have been separated since January 1.

The woman drew a small revolver from the bag and fired at close range, the bullet grazing Mr. O'Neill's neck beneath his right ear and lodging inside the neck band of his shirt. Mrs. O'Neill then dropped the weapon and gave herself up to John Glenn, night watchman of the brewery.


At No. 4 police station Mrs. O'Neill occupied a cell but a few feet from the operating table where Dr. J. M. McKamey was dressing her husband's wound. She was highly excited, nervous and penitent.

"I did not mean to kill him at all," she said, "but he has mistreated me every time I have approached him for money for my support, and I could not help but be on my guard all the time. When he told me to get out of the office tonight I got excited and fired when I only wanted to frighten him.

"My husband and I were married in a Catholic church two years ago," Mrs. O'Neill went on. "He married me without letting me know that he had been married twice before, and that both of these former wives are still living. During the last days of December last year I was sick and somewhat of a burden to him. On the evening of the New Year he left me sick in bed and never came back.

"I have since kept house for my brother, John Semen, at my home on Ann avenue, Kansas City, Kas. The two trips I have taken to see my husband and ask for money from him to buy clothes for myself have not been successful.


Frank O'Neill was not sure last night that he would prosecute his wife. His father, Sergeant F. P. O'Neill of No. 6 police station, however, said he would prosecute.

"I have never mistreated my wife," said the son. "It is true that I have been married before. Mary's shooting at me without warning from her, although my mother called me over the telephone half an hour before, and said Mary was on the way to the brewery to kill me."

Dr. McKamey said that O'Neill's would would easily heal.

Mrs. O'Neill is 28 years old.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

January 8, 1909



Calendar Is Thirteen Days Behind.
Kansas City Colonies of the
Two Nations Make

Christmas day was observed yesterday by the Servians and Greeks of Kansas City thirteen days later than the American and English Christmas. The day was made a holiday and none of the Greeks and Servians in the Kansas City colonies in the North End and West Bottoms failed to observe the day in some manner. Gifts were exchanged and there was general feasting and merrymaking.

Christmas means the same to the Greeks and Servians as it does to other people, namely the celebration of the birth of Christ, but the calendar used by them is thirteen days behind the calendar in general use. There is one great difference between the manner in which the people observe the day. No gifts are given or expected by anyone not an immediate family member. Friends do not give presents in token of their friendship.

Santa Claus is called "Callkagary," and he is supposed to be a tall man of dark complexion with merry black eyes, who visits all the little children on the night or during the week before Christmas day. He doesn't live at the North pole, but inhabits the clouds.


The Greeks, there are about 1,000 of them in a colony around Fifth street and Broadway, gave up the entire day yesterday to revelry and fun. There were no particular ceremonies, the colony has no church, but the men gathered in groups in halls and saloons, while the women and children visited each other.

New Year's day is really the day for gifts by the Greeks, but Christmas day does not lack any of its charm because of that. New Year's day will be one week from yesterday, the first of January, according to the Greek calendar. The Christmas season among the Greeks and Servians is supposed to last during three days, but the colony here will not make today and tomorrow festive days.

Labels: , , , , , ,

January 1, 1908


Flour Was Thrown on 'Change by
Frisky Members Yesterday.

There was fun on 'change yesterday and lots of it for a time. The furious frolicking and cutting up didos by the grain "boys" on 'change that was a feature of the closing day of the year a decade ago, but was put down by the more sobersided, was again revived. Near the hour of noon someone loosened a black cat from a bag in the grain pit and dropped a little paper bag of flour with it. This was a signal for a shower of paper bags filled with flour, and the more dignified ran to cover, but not before most of them had been pretty well whitened.

This was followed by the loosing of a greased pig on the floor. Some of the sobersided thought that it was disgraceful, but most of the members were glad to see the "boys" come back to life. Who started it no one would tell. It was generally thought that Frank Logan was not innocent, and W. W. Cowen got credit for a share. "Billy" Grant was very sober and said nothing.

The last of these frolics, until yesterday, was about ten years ago, and it was so boisterous that the authorities put a stop to them. At that time G. E. Thayer and Harry Reed were alive and, with W. W. Cowen and "Billy" Grant, the last day of the year on 'change was made to howl, and everyone wore his oldest and most dilapidated apparel. But yesterday most everyone was taken unawares. One of the telegraph boys caught the pig and was allowed to keep it.

Labels: , , ,

January 1, 1909


New Year's Arrival Not the Signal
for the Usual Noise.

The new year came in comparative quiet. Usually, whistles blow and bells ring and everyone who has a revolver shoots it. This year, however, there were few bells and whistles, and practically no revolver shots in the downtown part of the city. It was a quiet, dignified sort of a reception that was given to 1909.

Everybody wished everybody else a "Happy New Year." It was the greeting of even the conductors on the owl cars, and the bartenders celebrated it by buying eggnog for their customers.

Today everyone who writes letters will have a hard time remembering to write "1909."

All over the city and in the cafes many "watch parties" greeted the coming of January 1.

More than 1,600 persons ate and drank in the new year at the Baltimore hotel. It was the formal opening of the Baltimore's new addition.

Every dining room was filled with brilliantly gowned women and their escorts. They began coming soon after 9 o'clock The most of them came in after the theaters. Each party was provided with a ticket that entitled them to their table, which had been reserved. No one who had not reserved and ordered in advance was served there last night.

The tables and dining rooms were decorated. The coming of the new year was celebrated by drinking toasts and by waving flags which formed part of the table decorations.

Labels: , , , ,

August 25, 1908


Police Kindly Complied With Roy
Schultz's Request.

Roy Schultz, who formerly conducted a saloon at Tenth and Wyandotte streets, rushed into police headquarters last night, folowed by a pretty young woman, and requested to be locked up, saying that he had stabbed her. The woman, who gave the name of Anna Crisp and said she lived at Twenty-sixth street and Park avenue, declared that Schultz had not stabbed her.

When questioned she admitted that she had been stabbed in both hips in a quarrel while out buggy riding. The horse had started to run away and each held a line and it was to settle the question of which should hold both reins in the emergency that the stabbings occurred. Miss Crisp said that they had been quarreling because he had spent $3,000 on her in the last three years, and he had now only $50 to his name. The woman's injuries were trivial.

Both were locked in the holdover for a short time, and then released on $11 bond each, furnished by Schultz.

Schultz and Miss Crisp came into the lime light last New Year's night when she had trouble with H. R. Schultz, Roy's father, in the north lobby of the Midland hotel. Seeing her with Roy the father tried to induce the son to go home. Miss Crisp objeted and there was a regular hand-to-hand tussle for the possession of the youth. Finally the row reached the street and young Schultz tried to get Miss Crisp into a hack, but she was yanked back by the elder Schultz and then Miss Crisp alleged he struck her. At any rate she was arrested and later released on bond put up by J. H. Adams, a big-hearted real estate man from Texas, who had witnessed the affair.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

January 1, 1908


Those Who Were Waiting for It
Made the Usual Noise.

Amid the ringing of bells, the blowing of whistles and the firing of shots, the new year came into its own promplty on schedule last night.

Kansas City seemed to be sleepy last night, and there was hardly half of the usual noise at the birth of a new year. All of the packing houses and several of the larger shops of various sorts were on hand as usual with their big steam whistles, so that there was no chance to forget that it is now 1908 instead of 1907.

Labels: ,

January 1, 1908


One on West Twelfth Street and Two
in Kansas City, Kas.

The first victim of the New Year's celebration this morning was Gilbert Cons, a grocery clerk who lives at 800 West Twelfth street. Just at the stroke of 12 Cons and several of his friends went out into their front yard and began firing off pistols. Cons was standing near one of his companions watching him reload a .22-caliber revolver, when in the excitement the pistol was accidentally discharged. The bullet entered Cons's neck just above the Adam's apple. He was taken to the emergency hospital, where he was operated upon by Dr. John Hynds. The bullet missed the young man's jugular vein by only a hair's breadth, lodging in the throat about two inches under the skin. Dr. Hynds said that the would would not prove fatal.

Kansas City, Kas., celebrators ushered in the New Year with firearms loaded with leaden bullets. This fact caused two accidents, one of which may mean the amputation of the right leg of E. E. Leffel, 8 Central avenue. Leffel was standing on the street in front of his home when he was struck by a bullet which entered his thigh and passed down his leg to the ankle. The bullet was removed at No. 2 police station. It was discharged from a rifle, and was of .44-caliber.

J. W. Greer, 89 North Eighth street, was struck in the right ankle by a bullet of the same caliber and, it is thought, from the same gun which fired the bullet that wounded Leffel. Greer was standing in his doorway listening to the noise which ushered 1908 into existence. He was also treated at No. 2 police station.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

December 29, 1907


Game Is Sent by Kansas Hunters to
Feed City's Poor.

The Salvation Army received word last night that there are five tons of rabbits at the Rock Island depot waiting for them to get and distribute to the poor people of Kansas City. These rabbits were killed by hunting parties in Kansas and sent here. They will be given out within the next three or four days, some of them to be used by the poor for New Year's dinners.

More than 1,000 rabbits were given to poor people by the Salvation Army yesterday. A shipment of 500 was received from a hunting party at La Crosse, Kas.

The Army will entertain the poor and give them presents New Year's eve.

Labels: , , , , ,

January 1, 1907


At Least 1,000 in Costume Welcome New Year

There were many spokes in Kansas City's New Year's wheel last night, but the hub was at Convention Hall, where there was held the first annual New Year's ball of the Convention Hall directors. In point of attendance it was not a great success, for there were more people in costumes on the floor than there were spectators in the balconies. There were at least a thousand on the floor in costume. There were
senoritas and Hottentots, princes and minstrels, cowboys and cowgirls, the Gold Dust Twins and Sunny Jim, ballet girls and a rooster. A dozen funny clowns played "crack the whip" and one of the real features was the young man who had himself
made up as a "Seeing Kansas City" trolley car with one passenger.

A new feature last night was the placing of the band in the center of the dancing floor and it was fully
satisfactory. The band was put on an elevated platform.

The spectacular effort of the evening was in the speeding of the old year and the welcoming of the new. At 1:30 o'clock high up at the north end of the hall suddenly appeared as the music stopped a dance, the

"1906 Good Bye."

There was then nearly thirty minutes of intermission, towards the last of which the blue lights that traced this farewell grew gradually dim. Then the band played "Should Auld Acquaintance Be Forgot," and just as the big dial in the south end of the hall showed 12 o'clock the dying lights in the big all went almost out, and the lettering at the north end of the auditorium suddenly changed to

"Welcome, 1907."

The maskers and the audience cheered and the lights went up again. Then came the unmasking.

Labels: , , , , ,


Get the Book
Vintage Kansas City Stories ~ Early 20th Century Americana as Immortalized in The Kansas City Journal
Kansas City Stories

Early Kansas City, Missouri

The Son of Jesse James is Accused of a Train Robbery at Leeds ... Can he get a fair trial in Kansas City?
The Trial of Jesse James, Jr.

>>More KC Books<<

As an Amazon Associate this site may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

The History and Heritage of Vintage Kansas City in Books
Vintage Kansas
City Bookstore

Powered by Blogger

Vintage Kansas

Vintage Antique Classics ~ Vintage Music, Software, and more Time Travel Accessories

In association with
KC Web ~ The Ultimate Kansas City Internet Directory