Find Kansas City Antiques and Collectibles at the Vintage Kansas City Marketplace ~ Own a Piece of Old KC

Vintage Kansas



Old News
Headlines and Articles from The Kansas City Journal

Business Office...4000 Main
City Editor.....4001 Main
Society Editor....4002 Main

Two cents. Subscription Rates:  By carrier, per week, 10 cents; per month, 45 cents.  By mail, daily and Sunday, one month, 40 cents; three months, $1.00; six months, $2.00; one year, $4.00.  Sunday only, six months, 75 cents; one year, $1.50.  Weekly Journal, 25 cents one year.

Like Vintage Kansas City on Facebook

As We See 'Em ~ Caricatures of Prominent Kansas Cityans

The Isis Theatre ~ Kansas City, Missouri

The History of Fairmount Park

Claims of Cancer Cured by Dr. Bye in Vintage KC Missouri

Special Cut Prices ~ Always the Same

Blogging Fusion Blog Directory

February 1, 1910


Lyda B. Conley, Kansas City, Kas.,
Woman, Loses Lawsuit.

WASHINGTON, Jan. 31. -- The fight of Lyda B. Conley, the Indian woman lawyer, to prevent the sale of the burial ground in Kansas City, Kas., where lie the bodies of her ancestors, came to an end adversely to her in the supreme court of the United States today.

The court affirmed the judgment of the lower courts that her bill to enjoin those who proposed to disturb the burial ground be dismissed.

The court ameliorated the decree by directing that the suit be dismissed without cost to Miss Conley. Miss Conley, who is one-sixteenth Wyandotte and a lawyer, claimed the burial ground of Huron cemetery in Kansas City, Kas., was reserved in perpetuity as a burial ground by a treaty in 1855 between the United States and the Indians.

Congress recently authorized the sale of the land and the removal of the bodies. Miss Conley objected to the removal of the bodies of her ancestors to the burial ground of a Methodist church. She asked for an injunction in the case, but the circuit court dismissed her petition for want of jurisdiction. She argued her own case before the supreme court.

"No court decision or legal technicality will avail in any manner to change my firm determination to prevent the desecration of the graves of my ancestors. I will resist even to the death, any attempt to remove the bodies from the old Indian burial ground and if by force of arms they succeed in killing me, my sisters will see to it that my dead body lies with my father and mother in the Huron cemetery."

This was the statement made last night to a representative of the Journal, by Miss Lyda Conley at her home, 1712 North Third street, Kansas City, Kas.

"The public burying place of the Wyandotte Indians, used by them for that purpose as early as 1814, was by the treaty between the United States and the Indians, in 1855, set aside to the Indians and their descendants as a perpetual burying ground. now by what right does the government claim ownership of this ground or the right to dispose of it? I am not a ward of the government but a citizen of the United States. I am not in rebellion as an Indian ward of the government, but am standing up for my rights as a citizen and as a descendant of the Wyandotte Indians."

Labels: , , , , ,

December 30, 1909


Miss Albertson of Richmond, Mo.,
to Become Bride of Educated Creek.

A license was secured yesterday by John A. Phillips, a full-blooded Creek Indian of Okemaha, Ok., to marry Miss Lulu B. Albertson, a white woman living at Richmond, Mo. The groom is a well-to-do real estate dealer.

Phillips is an educated Indian. He is a graduate of McComb college of Muskogee. He is a widower of a few years. His first wife was a white woman. Mr. Phillips and Miss Albertson met last summer when the latter was visiting friends in Okemaha.

The bride will return to her home in Richmond, to join her husband later in Oklahoma.

Labels: , , ,

December 4, 1909


Guardian Refuses to Buy One, So
She Used a Hired Machine.

"Just wait until my 'guardy' gets back to Pawhuska, and I will be willing to make a wager that he allows me the money to get a machine," said Mrs. Blanche Keeler, the pretty Indian widow who, though very wealthy, has been denied an automobile because Eugene Scott, trustee of her estate, thinks that it would be extravagance for her to have it.

"I could not have used one of my own any oftener than I have a hired one since last Saturday, when I arrived here," said Mrs. Keeler, "so I guess if I come up to Kansas City often enough I could do without one of my own.

"I want an auto for my home in Pawhuska, and I am going to have it. Mr. Scott will come around to my way of thinking. I just know that he will, for it won't be a bit extravagant for me to own a machine, and it will be of much benefit to my health. The ponies and horses are all right, but I want action, something faster than horse-flesh."

With three big trunks packed to their capacity with pictures, new clothes, music and books, Mrs. Keeler departed early this morning for her home in Oklahoma.

"I did not get what I wanted, an auto, but I am taking back with me all the pretty things I fancied while here," said Mrs. Keeler at the Hotel Victoria last night.

Labels: , , ,

December 2, 1909


Judge Pollock Appoints Henry Dil-
lard, 19, Court Messenger.

Judge John C. Pollock of the federal court in Kansas City, Kas., yesterday announced the appointment of Henry Dillard, a negro 19 years old of Topeka, to be the messenger of the federal court. Dillard takes the place of his father, Henry Dillard, who shot himself accidentally while hunting last Saturday. Judge Pollock went to Topeka Monday to attend the funeral of the boy's father. At the funeral Judge Pollock noticed the boy and was so impressed by his manly actions that he decided to appoint him as his father's successor.

"The boy is young, but I believe he will be able to hold the position," Judge Pollock said yesterday. "I am going to give him a trial at least."

Henry Dillard, who was part Cherokee Indian and part negro, was messenger of the federal court in Kansas thirty-three years and won the friendship of many attorneys and federal officers.

Labels: , , , , ,

October 11, 1909



Interesting Compilation by the Late
Calvin Smith Founded on Per-
sonal Recollections and
State Records.

Although the motto of the late Calvin Smith, Missouri pioneer who died October 1, was "The world is my country," he was none the less specially fond of the great state of Missouri, where he wiled away the years since 1822.

Mr. Smith, having been born in 1813, coming with his father, an 1812 war veteran, to Missouri when he was 9 years old, lived to see nearly every notable event in the civilization of the state and his interest in its future perhaps exceeded that of any other man. He often remarked that while he was spoken of merely as the oldest inhabitant of Missouri, he was really the father of the commonwealth.

Several years before his death Mr. Smith made a compilation of data concerning the naming of the counties of Missouri founded on state records and his personal recollection.

According to his information, Missouri honored her own sons most, naming thirty-three counties after them. Next comes Revolutionary heroes and an even twenty counties bear their name. Washington, Marion, Green and even Sergeant Jasper, who rescued a fallen flag from an exposed parapet during a bombardment, received their tribute at the hands of the Missouri pioneers engaged in county naming.


Missouri is an old state and while the civilizing process was going on General Zachary Taylor, nicknamed Rough-and-Ready, was fighting the Seminoles or the Mexicans and ten counties were named after his scouts and officers. Following an old habit of the Indians eleven counties were named after prominent rivers and one, Moniteau, after the Indian word meaning "Great Spirit."

An element of aristocracy and religion was introduced in the naming of St. Charles, in honor of Charles V, of France, and St. Louis after Louis XIV of the same country.

It was a day in which there were as many Dr. Cooks and Lieutenant Pearys when the territory was first opened for settlement but explorers were heroes then as now. Six counties bear names of these forerunners of civilization the most prominent of whom probably was Meriweather Lewis and Zebulon Montgomery Pike.

Origins of other Missouri county names:

ADAIR, called after General John Adair of Mercer county, Kentucky, who was elected governor of that state in 1820, and died May 19, 1840.
ANDREW, called for Andrew Jackson Davis, a prominent citizen of St. Louis and Savannah, Mo.
BATES, called for Frederick Bates, second governor of the state.
BOONE, named for Daniel Boone.
BUCHANAN, named for President James Buchanan.
CALDWELL, named for Captain Mathew Caldwell, an Indian scout and hunter of Kentucky.
CALLAWAY, named for Captain James Callaway, killed by the Indians on the Lutre.
CAPE GIRARDEAU, named for Ensign Steve Girardeau, a Frenchman and Indian trader.
CARROLL, for Charles Carroll, one of the signers of the Declaration of Independence.
CASS, in honor of Lewis Cass, U. S. senator.
CLAY, named after Henry Clay of Kentucky.
De KALB, called for Baron John De Kalb, a Frenchman of Revolutionary fame.
DOUGLAS, called for Stephen A. Douglas.
GENTRY, named in honor of Colonel Richard Gentry, killed at the battle of Ocheecobee, Fla.
JACKSON, in honor of Andrew Jackson.
JASPER, in honor of Sergeant Jasper, who saved the flag after it had been shot down during the bombardment of a fort in the Revolution.
JEFFERSON, for Thomas Jefferson.
JOHNSON, called after Richard M. Johnson of Kentucky.
KNOX, for General Henry Knox of the Revolution.
LAFAYETTE, named after the great French patriot, on occasion of his first visit to the United States.
LEWIS, named after Meriwether Lewis of the Lewis and Clark expedition.
MERCER, called after John F. Mercer, also of Revolutionary War fame.
NEW MADRID, a compliment to the capital of Spain.
NODAWAY, coming from a similar Indian word, meaning "placid river."
PLATTE, named after its principal stream.
PULASKI, named for a Polish Count, who was a general in the Revolutionary war.
PUTNAM, named for General Putnam, of Bunker Hill fame.
RAY, named for John Ray of the constitutional convention.
SHANNON, called after Judge George W. Shannon, who was called "Peg-legged Shannon."
SHELBY, called for Kentucky Governor Isaac Shelby.
TANEY, called after Chief Justice Roger B. Taney.
WAYNE, called after Anthony Wayne of the Revolutionary war.
WEBSTER, named for Daniel Webster.
WORTH, called for General William J. Worth of the Florida and Mexican wars.

Labels: ,

October 6, 1909


Apaches Exhibiting at Electric Park
Take in the Thrillers.

Not even the stolidity of an Apache Indian could withstand the whoop-compelling thrills of the scenic railway, dip coaster and tickler at Electric park last night. At the invitation of the management the thirty aborigines from the Dulce reservation in New Mexico, exhibiting at the Missouri Valley fair and exposition, took a chance on, in and through the various concessions.

The tickler didn't take their breath. Quite the contrary. Their lung power was in no way impaired. Tubful after tubful of the original Americans rolled down the course through the winding alleys on the polished incline. Their yells were a menace to every eardrum within several blocks.

Mr. Heim treated the Apaches to every thrill to be experienced in his big collection of amusements. To show their appreciation or to open a safety valve as an outlet for some of their pent-up exuberance, the Indians in turn treated the management and the crowd to their repertory of snake dance, bear dance, fish dance, lizard dance, and other zoological "hops."

Two of the warriors have records. Washington, who is 97 years old, was a scout with Kit Carson, and Julian, 93 years old, fought with Geronimo. A week ago in Pueblo, Col., Peafalo, one of the young braves, married Juanita, a young woman of the party. She is a daughter of one of the warriors named Alaska.

Labels: , , , ,

September 14, 1909


Creditable Exhibition in Spite of J.
Pluvius's Interruption.

Buffalo Bill's Wild West and Pawnee Bill's Far East, combined, gave an exhibition before a large and appreciative crowd at the circus grounds, 17th and Indiana avenue, yesterday afternoon. It has been nearly a decade since Buffalo Bill has been seen in Kansas city, and the return of the most picturesque of the few remaining frontiersmen was signaled by an outpouring of those who have personal recollections of the old-time scout, and those to whom he has seemed more a figment of fancy than a reality.

It was a good show that the two Bills brought to Kansas City yesterday. The meeting of the East and the West with their varied manners, customs and contrasts, on a field of daring, afforded opportunity for speculative reflection by the studious, and was an interesting spectacle for the less serious minded. An act not catalogued was the appearance of J. Pluvius, monoplaning above the arena with his large-sized sprinkling pot spouting unpleasant reminders to a greater portion of the crowd of umbrellas left at home. From the grand review, with which the show opens, to the final salute of the assembled company, every act is well worth seeing. The rough riders of all nations, the pony express, the emigrant train, were all interesting features of the show. "A Dream of the Orient" was presented in spectacular form by Arabs, Japanese, Singhalese, Cossacks, Dahomeans, Hindues and Australian boomerang throwers.

"The Battle of Summit Springs," in which were shown scouts, soldiers, plainsmen and Sioux and Cheyenne Indians, was of a hair-curling variety. The attack of the Indians was as spectacular as could be desired. Other interesting features on the program were Devlin's Zouaves, fancy shooting by Buffalo Bill, a game of football on horseback, a great train holdup, shooting by Johnny Baker, U. S. Cavalry drill, cowboy fun and Russian Cossacks.

The worst punishment of last night's performance fell upon the acrobats. The feature of their act is that they tumble on the ground without the use of mats or rugs. As they lined up twenty strong towards the north end of the rectangle the audience did not at first realize how much more difficult their evolutions would be in a foot of mud and in drenching rain. They were dressed in red tights with blue doublets, the colors showing up brighter because of the drenching.

After the preliminary stunts were over and their uniforms were still unsullied, the crowd began to believe there would be no mishap. Then the fun began. Someone's foot slipped in an aerial flip flop. Instantly he was immersed and the crowd laughed. Other and similar accidents followed as the teams increased the complexity of their work.

"This crowd is a revelation in the circus business," said Hugh Thomas, head of the police department of the show last night. "It is a great big good natured bunch that doesn't care for the weather or anything else. That's the English as well as the American spirit, though. The idea that predominates in an Anglo-Saxon aggregation is that it does not matter so much how well you do, as how well you do under the circumstances."

Labels: , , ,

September 4, 1909



Recall Incidents of Overland Travel
When Indians Roamed Plains.
Man's Arm Amputated With
an Old Saw.

Wagon masters of fifty years ago, to whom the Santa Fe and Great Salt Lake trails were as familiar as their own country roads, gathered yesterday at the "old settlers' " reunion at the Independence fair.

Some of them came from Texas, but the greater number came from Kansas. When they left for the long overland trip it was as wagon masters, but yesterday they came back to a world moved by machinery and electricity. In '49 they left by the slow going wagon train, fording rivers and traveling through a country unblazed by an ax.

The entire forenoon was devoted to reminiscent stories by old men. They held aloof from the track, but their hands tightened on one another as they met.

"There is Wood McMillain," said one. "I would know him as quick as I would know my mother."

The next minute two gray-haired men were deep in the recollection of friends, many of them gone, and as they listened to one another the meeting warmed into life misty memories of the past. Mr. McMillain was one of the old wagon masters of '49. Many an expedition he conducted across the great American desert, now known as Kansas, and yesterday he met many men in the prime of life who knew him. He is now a resident of Denison, Tex.


The introduction of wagons for the overland trade came as early as 1824. Colonel Marmaduke was one of a party of eighty which formed a company for the Western trade, 800 miles distant.

When they returned they had silver ore in rawhide sacks and piled the sacks in an adjacent lot close to what is now known as the public square of the county seat.

Jackson Tarquo was on the grounds yesterday.

"I have been over the route several times," he said. "I have never had trouble with the Indians but once or twice. Indians would never sacrifice their men except for revenge or in warfare. Many redskins were killed without cause and in consequence there was bad feeling between them and the wagon men.

"Of course, once in a while a man or a boy would be shot on route and we would bury him after the fashion of the plains. On one occasion the Indians ran off about 400 ponies we were bringing through. They asked for one horse, then for two, and finally, with a whoop, they took all of the ponies. Oxen were used in the early days, but in '49 most of the hauling was done by mules.

"I'll bet I can yet load a wagon and store away more goods than any moving van in Kansas City, and that when the wagon arrives at the end of the long journey not a box or object will be moved one inch out of place. We loaded wagons in those days, and wagon masters understood the art. We would carry through thousands of dollars' worth of goods.


"Every wolf yell meant Indians to novices in the old days. I went on one trip I can't forget. There was a man who accidentally shot himself in the arm. It was hot and mortification set in. The man would not give up, so we found a saw, whetted a knife, heated wagon bolts red hot and performed a crude job of amputation. After the arm was opened to the bone, we found the saw's teeth were too big, so we filed smaller teeth and sawed through the bone. That man lived for thirty years afterward."

W. Z. Hickman was another old wagonmaster. He is now employed in the county surveyor's office. Yesterday he again became a wagon master for the time being and participated in the talk about the trackless and treeless plains.

Yesterday was the banner day for attendance. The country people turned out. Never was there such a gathering of wagons in the fair grounds. Stations east of Independence sold all of the excursion tickets and before noon the grounds were filled.

Hundreds of awards were made yesterday and special premiums given. F. M. Corn was awarded the third prize for the best yellow corn. J. E. Jones secured first prize and P. H. Curran second. The products of the soil had their inning, and blue ribbons floated from pumpkin to apple piles.

Labels: , , , , ,

August 29, 1909



Leads Procession of Canoes and
Grand March at Club House
Then Disappears for
Another Year.

With searchlights along the bank of the Blue trained upon him, Kishonga, ancient chief of the Chewatas, from the land of the Illini, returned to the land of the living for a brief sojourn last night. Clad in aboriginal dress, the old chief, in his canoe, headed a procession of twenty-six other similar water craft with modern decorations and pyrotechnical effect.

Lanterns and flanbeaux lighted up the whole procession, while green and red lights on each shore illuminated the river to a weird brilliancy. All the canoes were towed by the launch Ferro from Camp Bughouse, about a quarter of a mile above the bridge, to the clubhouse of the Paddle and Camp Club, just below it, and then back again to the camp.

In true Indian fashion, Chief Kishonga was on his knees in the canoe and everything that an orthodox Indian ought to wear, he wore. His faithful valets had seen to that, for they had gone to the costumer's and bought all in the way of aboriginal dress that looked good to them. His outfit was capped with a huge war bonnet that bristled savagely above his head and trailed down his sinewy back.


Upon returning to the camp, the string of canoes cut loose and reassembled in front of the clubhouse below the bridge again. With proud mien, Kishonga set his moccasined foot on the wharf and walked up the steps into the clubhouse where the grand march was declared on. The big chief led it.

When the merriment was high, there came a sudden interruption. The voice of the Great Spirit was heard -- that is, bombs were set off outside and the drummer in the orchestra rolled his sticks on the tense sheepskin. Then there was a blinding flash. It marked the supernatural translation of Kishonga from the chlubhouse to the wharf where he was seen to re-enter his canoe. Down the river he paddled and disappeared around the first bend, not to be seen again until this time next year.


Although it was 200 years since he incurred the wrath of Gitchie Manitou, and was sent to the Happy Hunting Grounds for his pains, Kishonga didn't have much to say during his brief reincarnation.

Fred B. Schnell, E. E. Branch and Frank A. Missman, constituting the regatta committee of the Paddle and Camp club, were the only ones who were supposed to be accomplished in the language of the chief, and they said he didn't say much. What he did say, however, was brief and to the point.

No one is supposed to know whom impersonated Kishonga. Two black beans and one white one were presented to the three committeemen to draw from . The one who drew the white one was to have the appointment of the chief, but was sworn to secrecy. Thus the mystery was sustained. At noon yesterday the chief was taken in an automobile downtown and given the freedom of the city. About 100 couples danced last night at the club-house after Kishonga had vanished for another year.

Labels: , , , ,

August 21, 1909


Union Avenue Police Lugged Indian
Braves to Station.

Several realistic Indian warwhoops let loose by Bighead Sidesaddle and Jim Ironsides, fullblood Indians, at the Union depot yesterday morning, startled the would-be passengers congregated in the lobby of the old station. Detectives Charles Ryan and Ben Sanderson arrested the warwhoopers, along with their companions, one man, six women and a pappoose. The band of wild Indians was given a ride in the patrol wagon to No. 2 police station.

Captain Joseph Heydon ordered Ironsides and Sidesaddle locked up, as they were drunk. The remainder of the party were returned to the depot in the patrol wagon, and enjoyed the short haul muchly.

Labels: , , , ,

July 11, 1909



Was Second White Child Born Here.
Became Indian Trader in Early
Days -- Funeral Not
J. C. Evans, Kansas City Pioneer.

J. C. Evans, 76 years of age, who was the second white child to be born in Kansas City, died at the University hospital yesterday afternoon as the result of an operation. Mr. Evans had been ill but a short while.

On Dundee place, and on the very highest point of that place, J. C. Evans was born. All around the house was farm land and wilderness, and off to the south and west was the thriving town of Westport. For almost twenty-one years Mr. Evans lived in the house on Dundee's place and did his share towards the building of the greater city upon which he looked with utmost pride in the last years of his life.

Mr. Evans, in those early days, was a trader by occupation, and many were the trips which he took over the old Santa Fe trail down into the Southwest to barter and trade with Indians. With the Indians around Kansas City he had many dealings and was looked upon as a fair man by them.

Shortly before the civil war Mr. Evans married Miss Elizabeth Campbell of Clay county. Within a few months the couple moved from Kansas City to a farm in Clay County, where Mr. Evans had lived until his death.

In 1880 Mrs. Evans died, and four years later Mr. Evans married Miss Sarah M. Plummer of Paris, France, whom he met while she was visiting in this country. Mrs. Evans survives her husband.

Among the interesting facts surrounding the long life of Mr. Evans are two most prominent. It was he who surveyed the first plat of Kansas City, and it was he who bought the first town lot.

Mr. Evans was the son of William B. and Amelia McGee Evans, both of whom were prominent in the pioneer days of Kansas City. Mrs. Evans, his mother, was one of the old Westport McGees.

Eight children survive: Mrs. S. P. Stowers, Millersburg, Mo.; Paul Evans, Mountain Grove, Mo.; Amelia Evans, Clay county; Mrs. J. H. Garth, 1035 Monroe avenue, Kansas City; Mrs. W. R. Soper, Independence, Mo.; Mrs. J. C. McGee, Texarkana, Tex.; J. C. Evans, Jr., Oldham, Mo., and J. M. Evans of Clay county. In Kansas City Mr. Evans has a brother, M. M. Evans, Twenty-fifth and Troost, and a sister, Mrs. William Vineyard, 1475 Independence avenue.

Owing to the condition of the railroad service no definite time has been set for the funeral. It will be held from the First Christian church. Rev. F. V. Lose of Liberty, Mo., will officiate. Burial is to be in the family lot at Elmwood cemetery.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

May 4, 1909


101 Ranch Exhibit Witnessed by
Large Crowds.

After a big street parade yesterday morning, Miller Brothers' 101 Ranch Wild West show opened the season at Seventeenth street and Indiana avenue to full capacity, afternoon and night.

From the opening parade, a grand ensemble of participants in the show, to the last number, a reproduction of the massacre of Pat Hennessy and family by the Indians in 1874, each display is interesting. In reproducing the massacre of the Hennesy family the Miller brothers have secured Chief Bull Bear, said to be the identical Indian who led the others in the massacre. W. H. Malaley, the same United States marshal who led the posse and captured the Indians, has charge of the capturing party now. The reproduction is said to be true to life.

In the stage coach robbery, reproduced at this show, several horses are supposed to be shot. They drop to the ground and remain there as if dead. One, whose leg was "shot," gets up after its wound has been bound and limps away, while its cowboy rider walks, fanning his favorite steed.

The marvelous manner in which cowboys handle the "rope" attracts much attention. One lariat thrower, after catching horse and rider in every conceivable place, catches the horse by the tail while the animal is on the dead run. The lassoing of wild steers, throwing steers by the horns, riding bucking bronchos and steers and the daring riding of the Russian Cossacks are other interesting features on the programme. Following the riding of the Cossacks the cowboys go them one better by doing everything they do and then some.

With this show is the largest number of Indians ever allowed by the government to leave the reservation with one organization. They give a dance at each performance, but even the management does not know which it is to be. The weather, environment and the mood of the once savage governs the dances. They have in their weird repertoire the ghost, snake, sun, squaw, coon, antelope, wolf, buffalo and elk dances. There are seventeen separate and distinct displays on the programme and among these are an Indian maiden who does some crack shooting, races between cowboys and cowgirls, dances on horseback and trick riding by both men and women.

At the close there is the usual concert at which there is a genuine negro minstrel show, some fancy club swinging and acrobatic work. As a concert finale, a trainer enters the cage of a ferocious lion which has already killed three men.

There will be two performances of the Wild West show today, at 2 p. m. and 8 p. m.

Labels: , , , , ,

March 12, 1909


Man Who Can Recall the War of
1812 Gets Shelter for Night
at Police Station No. 4.

A man so old that he can remember the war with Mexico as well as though it occurred yesterday, and dimly recall the war of 1812, wandered into No. 4 police station and gave himself up as a vagrant yesterday afternoon. He was James Forbes Foster, who lives at a rooming house at Eighteenth street and Minnesota avenue, Kansas City, Kas.

According to Foster, his age is 103 years, for he says he was born on Seneca street, Buffalo, N. Y., in 1806. He says further that his grandmother was Mercy Hutchins, a great tribal medicine woman of the Seneca Indians, and that he retains in his memory most of her medicinal traditions.

In personal appearance Foster is erect as a pine tree. His eyes, set in a very wrinkled face, are large and bright, his cheek bones high and his nose a thin, long beak. The lower part of his face is hid in a thicket of wiry whiskers a foot long, and his hair, as white as wool, covered his shoulders.

He tottered up to the sergeant's desk at the station and humbly asked if he might be allowed to sleep over night on the stone floor of a cell.

"I am awfully old," he began, "but I can still sleep anywhere. I am strong, but I am very tired. Give me the hardest piece of flooring you have got and an old coat to throw over me."

"How old are you?" he was asked.

For answer Foster produced a letter from an inside coat pocket bearing a stamp of a generation or two gone and shoved it under the lattice. "I guess from that I am about 20," he said. The letter follows:

Your Excellence: James Foster, who I know well, is a good scout for your armies, having lived among my people over 40 years. He has been West as far as the Mississippi river and so far North as the lakes in all parts. If you want a good scout, take him.
Chief of Seneca Indians.
To President John Knox Polk, Washington, D. C.

The letter was yellow with age, and the envelope worn through in many places, although the old man had it wrapped in oilcloth. He admitted it was a copy m made from the original by the chief.

"Great Scott!" cried Captain Thomas Flahive, after he had glanced at it, "how old are you supposed to be, anyway?"

"Red Jacket, who was the only father I have ever known, told me I was born the last year of the Seneca famine, which was in 1806," was the reply.

"Did you fight in the Mexican war, as a scout?"

"No, I did not go. I knew too much about medicine, and Red Jacket concluded to keep me at home with him. As I remember, President Polk made no reply to the letter.

"In 1861 I was appointed as a spy to serve the government under President Lincoln. See that hand? President Lincoln, the greatest statesman the world ever produced, grasped it once."

In his conversation which somewhat wandered, Foster mentioned some great names in a familiar manner. He said he had dined once with General Winfield Scott, had known General Grant and Elihu Root. Lincoln he spoke of as a friend. He said he tendered his commission to the war department the day after the great emancipator was shot.

The old man speaks German, French and a strange tongue, which he said was the Seneca language. He recites Latin with the rapidity of a co-ed in her last college year and speaks intelligently of botany, chemistry and physics.

"I was educated at Notre Dame college in Montreal," he explained when asked where he accumulated all of his book knowledge. "The intentions of Red Jacket were to make a Catholic priest of me."

He was given a blanket and slept on the concrete floor of his cell much better than a younger man would have done.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

January 18, 1909


Eastern Tourists Can't Get Away
From Border Day Memories.

"The strangest thing about transients at the hotels is the souvenirs they send home to their friends," remarked a newsdealer at one of the hotels yesterday.

"Of course I'll sell anything to a man -- that's business, but wouldn't you laugh in your sleeve at the big business man from New York buying a post card picture of an Indian or a buffalo to send to his wife as a souvenir of Kansas City; or at another from San Francisco mailing a picture of Old Broadway from here to induce a flattering conception of the city he is stopping in for one night only?

"Continuing this discourse on souvenirs: do you know that Indian trophies, such as moccasins, bead work, imitation scalp locks, etc., are sold more as crystallized reminiscences of Boston, Pittsburgh and other Eastern cities than of Wounded Knee and Hole-In-The-Ground?

"People down East have a sort of hankering for Indian nicknacks which their Western cousins do not share because of their familiarity with them."

Labels: , ,

January 6, 1909


Ten Omaha Indians Take Council.
Smoke From Same Bowl.

Ten grunts, twenty puffs of strangely scented smoke from one pipe, a look of satisfaction on ten faces, completed the round of good fellowship among a band of Indians, who, with their families, spent several hours at the Union depot yesterday. They were Omahas on the return trip to their reservation near Omaha, Neb., from a few weeks visit with their fellow tribesmen in Oklahoma.

The chief of the band carried a large pipe which he filled carefully. With the true Indian hospitality he lighted the pipe, took two puffs and passed it on to the next member of the party, and so on until the ten, gathered in a circle for the smoke, had each taken two puffs. Then the pipe was restored to the pocket of the chief of the band, each Indian said something and then began the stroll from one end of the depot to the other.

Labels: , , , ,

January 4, 1908


Must Be Men, and Preference Will
Be Given Married Ones.

Civil service examinations to fill positions as teachers in Indian schools in New Mexico, Washington and the Dakotas will be held in the federal building, January 20. The positions pay about $720 a year. Men only will be allowed to take the examination, and maried ones will be preferred. On the same day examinations will be had to fill positions as goverment freight clerks at Chicago. These positions pay from $80 to $100 a month.

Labels: , , ,

December 22, 1908



The Girl Declares She Is 18, and That
Her Father Wants Her Single
So He Can Use
Her Land.

Young hopes were blighted and an elopement nipped in the bud late yesterday afternoon, when a telegram was received at Central police station from Sheriff L. S. Dallas of Mayes county, Okla., asking that Dora Fair, a quarter-blood Cherokee Indian lass, and Louis Rodgers, said to be part negro and part Indian, be held until further notice.

The couple were arrested by detectives in the Union depot the moment they alighted from the northbound train. The girl was dressed in a blue serge dress. Because of an extraordinary shortness of her skirt she appeared much younger than 18, which she gave as her age. She was pretty, too, and an abundance of dark hair hung below her waist. Rodgers also looked the typical half-breed Indian.

Miss Fair and her lover were taken to police headquarters, the girl being placed in the detention room, Rodgers getting an iron-bound den in the basement.

"It's all a mistake and it's cruel to keep us from getting married when we have gone to such trouble to get here where we supposed no one would look for us," sobbed Dora to Police Matron Joanna Moran last night. "I am sure it was my father who sent the telegram. He never wanted me to get married at all, he never did. My mother, who was a pure-blooded Cherokee, ran away from us when I was a baby and father married again. He always liked me. I own the land he farms, or tries to farm, near Pryor Creek.


"I have known Louis since I was a little girl and we had grown very fond of each other before he came back from the West this last time. He used to work for father, but they had a disagreement several months ago so Louis skipped out for Montana.

"Several times I told father I loved Louis and wanted to marry, but all I got for my pains was advice not to marry. He always tried to joke me out of the notion. When I saw he never would be serious about my relations to Louis, we packed up our duds and skipped.

"The plan was to come to Kansas City first, get married and then go to Montana to the beet fields where working men like Louis can get good wages, or about $75 a month. That would have been enough to support us with the rent off my farm and the $600 Louis had saved.

"But my father was very angry, as we knew he would be, when he heard about our running away. When he is out of patience he will say and do anything, so in order to stop us I guess he sent word to the officers here that Louis was a negro with kinky hair and I was only 16 years old, which is wrong. Louis is brother to my father's wife, or my step-mother, and there is no negro blood in him. I was 18 last January 15."


Before the Fair girl was taken to the detention room at the station she was kept for several hours at the Helping Hand institute. She cried continually and would not be pacified.

"I want to find Louis!" she kept crying. "We were to be married today and it is getting late. He must be waiting for me somewhere. What will he think!"

Rodgers was called from his cell to be examined by Police Captain Walter Whitsett last night. He told a straight story. corresponding in every particular to that of his sweetheart. When he was returned to the cell the captain said he thought the boy was a good worker and honest and intended to marry the girl all right and would have done so if left alone yesterday.

According to Rodgers his father and mother were both fullblooded Cherokee Indians.

Sheriff Dallas is expected to appear at Central police station sometime this afternoon. It is thought extradition papers will not be necessary.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

November 12, 1908


Pay Brides as Much as $100 to Go
Through Ceremony -- So They
Can Sell Lands.

Effie Smith remarked incidentally on the witness stand in the federal court yesterday that "there was a heap of them young Indians comin' up here to git mar'd so they could sell their lands," and immediately set the entire court retinue thinking. It was developed that scores of negroes with Indian blood in them, who had come in for 160-acre tracts in the old Indian Territory, had come to Kansas City to qualify to sell their lands by making themselves heads of families. This they did by getting wives.

"Had they any trouble in finding women who would be willing to marry them," Smith was asked.

"Nearly all of the lot I met up with, who came here to get married so they could sell, got their women form the colored rooming houses. They gave some of them as high as $100 to marry them."

"Did the marriages 'stick'?" was asked.

"They were not supposed to. I never heard of one that did. The boys just got married and then sold their lands and moved on."

Smith was on trial for cashing a post office order that had been stolen. He had been indicted two days before, and during the afternoon a trial jury found him guilty. This morning he will toe the mark in the federal court before Judge John C. Pollock, along with a cargo of Greeks and others for sentence.

Labels: , , , ,

November 8, 1908


Heart Disease Claims As a Victim
David H. Pingree at the
Age of 56.

You remember the story in the history books about the massacre of General Custer in the Bad Lands of South Dakota, do you not? Especially you remember the stirring incident of the time when the troops who had been sent to revenge the death of the gallant leader and capture the redskin chief, Sitting Bull, wavered and were about to retreat before the withering fire poured out upon them from ambush, a soldier rose in his saddle and cried aloud:

"Remember Custer."

Only two words, but they made history. The soldiers rallied, taking those words for their battlecry and charged, inflicting the most decisive defeat upon the Indian warriors ever suffered in the history of the race.

The man who spoke those words is dead. David H. Pingree, 56 years old, formerly member of the Seventh United States cavalry, dropped dead of heart trouble last Friday morning. He had been honorably discharged from the army with the mark of "excellent" in 1891, after a service of six years. He came to Kansas City, where he remained a short time, but soon went to Iola, Kas., where he went into the hotel business, but for the past two years has been living in this city. A wife, who lives in Rich Hill, Mo., survives.

Besides turning the tide of the battle by giving his comrades a slogan to fight for at the psychological moment Pingree contributed largely to the victory in another way. A party of Indians were hidden behind a tent close to the regiment and they were picking off a cavalryman at every opportunity. Pingree and another soldier loosened up a Hotchkiss gun and trained it on the tent. In a few moments there was no tent left and the Indians were forced to seek another cover.

Pingree was an Elk. The lodge will have charge of the funeral services at 2:30 this afternoon from Eylar Bros. chapel, Fourteenth and Main streets. Burial will be in Mount Washington cemetery.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

October 23, 1908


Condemned Animals From Haskell
Dairy Herd Will Be Offered in
Kansas City for Beef.

LAWRENCE, KAS., Oct. 22. -- (Special.) Out of a herd of 110 dairy cattle at the Haskell institute, a government school here for Indians, twenty-three cows were condemned today because of tuberculosis, and fourteen others that are suspected with being diseased are under the ban. The condemnation and tests were made by Dr. L. R. Baker at the insistence of the government bureau of animal industry.

Before making his tests, Dr. Baker made the remark that the herd was one of the best he had ever seen. In the cows condemned there is no external evidence of anything wrong.

The tests were made by taking a cow's temperature four or five times in a single day. When the average temperature was ascertained a tuberculin solution was injected. Nine hours after the injection the temperature was again taken, and if a 5 to 7 degree increase was noted the animal was said to have tuberculosis in a bad form.

The cows condemned today will be shipped to Kansas City and put on the market there for beef. Superintendent Pears of Haskell, when asked if these tuberculosis cattle could be sold for human consumption, said it was all right if they passed the post-mortem inspection.

Labels: , , ,

July 27, 1908


They're Just About Giving Away
Their Valuable Oklahoma Land.

The hotel registers were prolific yesterday with the names of guests from Oklahoma. This appeared significant from the fact that restrictions were removed Saturday at midnight from 10,000,000 acres of Indian lands and that many attempts have been made to have the half breed Creek Indians sign over their homesteads. These operations have been carried on largely in Kansas City and there have been as many as 100 half breeds in the city during the last three days. Andrew S. Nelson of Muskogee was among yesterday's visitors.

"The removal of restrictions on this land has caused a great stir in real estate circles," Mr. Nelson said. "It means that thousands of half breeds are going to give up all they have, including their homesteads, for a mere pittance. They don't realize what they are doing now but when the trifle that they get now is gone they will realize what chumps they have been. Thousands of dollars will be turned over in Oklahoma in the next few days in this land deal, and all of it may not be done legitimately, either."

Labels: , , ,

July 12, 1908


Undertakers Puzzled by
Unidentified Man.

The body of an unidentified man was picked up on the tracks of the Belt Line near Wyoming street, Friday night. Thinking that the body was that of a negro the railroad employes sent the body to Countee Bros., negro undertakers, who embalmed it. Dr. O. H. Parker was called to view the body and pronounced it that of a Mexican. He therefore ordered it removed to the undertaking rooms of Eylar Bros., at Fourteenth and Main streets. It is now thought that the body is that of an Indian. It is large limbed and possesses all of the charactaristics of that race.

Labels: , , , , ,

July 4, 1908


Old Hatchet Will Be Exhibited in In-
dependence Today.

One of the things which will be of interest to those who wish to celebrate on the Fourth in a sane and quiet manner will be an exhibition of relics in the court house at Independence. One of the relics will be a tomahawk which is said to have been originally owned by Tecumseh, a famous Shawnee Indian chief.

It was given to Elks Kanatawa, his brother, by Tecumseh when he himself became too old to go on the warpath, and Elks Kanatawa used it in the battle of Tippecanoe. In some manner or other the tomahawk fell into the hands of Daniel Boone, who afterwards gave it to Colonel W. H. Russell. Colonel Russell kept the Indian hatchet until his death, when it went to his grandson, W. L. Russell, and at his death it descended to E. H. Bettis, 706 South Fuller avenue, Independence.

Labels: ,

May 15, 1908



Ran Away When a Boy and Comes
Back to Find the Old Playfel-
lows -- "They Are All
Dead," Says He.

After the absence of fifty-five years Thomas Reynolds returned to Independence yesterday to refresh the memories of his youth. When 13 years of age he ran away, going West, and yesterday attempted to locate some of the old familiar spots, some of the old playgrounds.

"There was an old well here," said he, pointing to the southwest corner of the square, but some of the old inhabitants had even forgotten it. "I guess I am lost, or rather I am like the Indian when he came back to the old camping ground. 'Indian lost?' was asked of the brave. 'Indian not; wigwam lost,' was the answer of the Indian. That is my fix. Where is the Nebraska house?" No one knew until he ran up against James Peacock, a '49er, who told him that it, too, had changed and was now known as the Metropolitan hotel.

Mr. Reynolds is a son of Joseph Reynolds, long since dead and known only to a few of the older citizens of the old town. "I left Independence in 1853 and have never been back since. I just want to wander around the old town and see if it is possible after a half-century for a man to locate the old familiar places. There is no use talking, it gives me a strange feeling to come back to this place after having pictured in my mind for fifty years or more certain playgrounds. Then another thing -- nearly everybody I knew is dead, that is the worst of it. If I could come back and find them as they were there there would be some satisfaction, but they are gone.


"I suppose everybody who has been away from his old home for fifty years and goes back has the same experience. No doubt more than one man has gone up against just what I am doing today. There was old Mr. Beatty, who did business in jewelry away back there; how I remember he kicked a stovepipe hat with a brick in it and then sent for me to come and nurse him. I went over to see his son today -- the old man is dead, died many years ago, they told me. Judge Woodson, too, has passed away, and I met his son, a gray haired gentleman, today.

"I remember James Peacock. He left for the California gold fields before I, as a boy, left for Oregon. Nathaniel Landis is gone; in fact, they are all gone. Away over on that hill yonder," said Mr. Reynolds, "there used to be a house. A man named Wilson lived there; had a boy named Rufus. The old gentleman is gone, but his boy is older than I am. I remember Aubrey and his famous ride. Aubrey made two from Santa Fe. It was a great event. Then another fellow came through on a mule. Both of them went to sleep, the mule and the rider. That mule was the hardest thing to awaken I ever saw. No amount of kicking would bring him back to earth, and the man on top of him was sitting there astride and as fast asleep as the mule he rode. That was in front of the old Noland house. Place is all gone now.


"I tell you, this is a sad day for me. Shatters all of the old-time pictures I have been carrying about with me in memory for fifty-five years. Sometimes I wished I had stayed away. Does not pay for an old man to do this way. I went down to the jail. Used to have a jailer in there every day or two, but the jail they have there now was built in 1859 and the old one is torn down. William Head is dead; his son is with the Metropolitan now. Very little satisfaction in coming back except to shatter youthful pleasures; it will do that all right enough."

Mr. Reynolds passed the entire day trying to place himself, and occasionally met with some of the passing generation of old men and then they would fall to chatting over things which belong to another generation several times removed. He visited the old home place of his father, Joseph Reynolds, one of the early day settlers.

Mr. Reynolds lives at Salem, Ore., where he is connected with the Wells-Fargo Express Company, having been with that company in the overland express business and later in the mail service.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

May 11, 1908


Indian Chief Plodding From San
Francisco to New York and Back.

Across the continent on foot and back again in eight months for a purse of $2,000 is the work which has been chosen by Charles Moyer, an Indian of the Sioux nation. Moyer passed through Kanss City yesterday on his return trip to San Francisco. He left there October 29, 1907, and arrived in New York on January 23, 1908. He has until June 29 to complete his trip back to San Francisco.

Moyer's Indian name is Chief Running Horse, being a grandson of Chief Sitting Bull of Custer fame. One of Chief Running Horse's peculiar traits is that he carries no change of apparel, wearing the same suit until it becomes worn out. In case of a heavy rain, like the one in which he was caught four miles east of Independence yesterday morning, the walker keeps on plodding, never stopping to find shelter. He never takes off his garments to wring them out, after they have become water soaked, but allows them to dry on his body.

He carries no cane or weapon of any sort and had use for a weapon but once according to his own story. That was while he was walking through Kentucky and was given frequent trouble by the "night-riders" alleging that he was a spy sent out to report upon them.

Chief Running Horse carries a leather-bound notebook which bears the postmark of every town and city which he visited on his walk, and the signatures of the chiefs of police and the mayors of the towns. He expects to remain in Kansas City for two or three days and then continue his westward march. It is his belief that he will reach San Francisco two or three weeks ahead of his appointed time.

Labels: , , , , ,

May 4, 1908


Wild West Organizations Furnish
Employment for Hundreds.

That the numerous Wild West shows are giving employment to many Indian families and affording them a means of livelihood other than the government is evidenced by the fact that the railroads are constantly handling parties of Indians en route from the West to join the shows at Eastern points.

A Wild West show takes better in the East than in the West, and for this reason, as the show go eastward for summer work they are calling upon more Indian families to join them. Those Indians who are expert in horseback riding or shooting get the first engagements, but others are employed at sall salaries simply because they are Indians.

During the past month several hundred Indians have passed through Kansas City en route east to join some show and help to portray scenes that never existed at all or are fast dying out, even in the West.

Labels: , ,

April 24, 1908


Mrs. W. H. Wallace Was in Charge
of Religious Service.

Mrs. W. H. Wallace held a song and prayer service in the county jail yesterday afternoon for the benefit of the prisoners, and the judge of the criminal court accompanied his wife and sat through the service. The chief singer was Frank H. Wright, a fullblood Indian evangelist and soloist. He was assisted by the choir of the Eastminster Presbyterian church. Mrs. Wallace had a church organ taken to the jail from an uptown music store, brought the party into the jail and had charge of the service.

No better singing has ever been heard in the jail, it is said by Isaac Wagner, day jailer. Wright's voice in sacred song penetrated from the first floor to the fourth and poured into every corridor and cell. After he had sung two words, silence fell upon the prisoners and guards alike and all listened with attention and pleasure.

A song by Wright opened the programme. Then the choir, composed of six women's voices, sang. Wright led in prayer He sang again and the service was at an end. Despite the brevity of the meeting it had much impression upon both the confined and unconfined portions of the audience.

"I hope they come again," said a trusty inside the main door.

"He didn't need to preach none," remarked another. "Those songs did me more good than any preaching."

County Marshal Al Heslip shook Mrs. Wallace by the hand after the service, thanked her and told her to bring the singers again soon. A trusty then escorted the visitors through the jail and let them talk with prisoners.

Evangelist Wright is not certain whether or not he could come again to the jail and sing. He is busy, singing and preaching twice a day at the Eastminster church.

Labels: , , , , , ,

March 23, 1908


Colonel Cummins Says Britishers
Never Tire of Them.

Colonel Frederick Cummins, otherwise known as Chief La-Ko-Ta of the Sioux tribe of Indians, was a guest at the Baltimore hotel yesterday. Colonel Cummins is an Indian only by adoption. Chief Red Cloud of the Sioux having conferred that title upon him in 1891, but he knows s much, or perhaps more, about the Indians of this country than any other man living. He is now at the head of a Wild West show and is here recruiting, the show for a season's tour of Europe, opening in Liverpool sometime in May.

"The English especially are interested in anything that comes out of the great Wild West," Colonel Cummins said at the hotel last night. "Other men have made fortunes in this business in Europe and fortunes are yet to be made there in the same business. A Wild West show will draw larger crowds in the cities and towns of England than any other attraction imaginable. These shows are a novelty and the public never gets tired of seeing them."

Colonel Cummins is making an extensive tour of the country for the purpose of securing material in recruiting his show. While in Oklahoma recently he bought all of the famous Pawnee Bill's horses and all of Colonel Zack Mulhall's horses except Governor, Lucile's pet. He left here last night for the Indian reservations in South Dakota where he will obtain eighty Indians for his show. The United States government requires a bond of $500 for every Indian taken off the reservation. This bond is required to insure the return of the Indian to the reservation in excellent physical and moral condition.

"The Indian is not hard to manage," Colonel Cummins said. "I know their every trait of character and as long as they are well fed and clothed we never have any trouble with them. In all my experience with the Indians I have never had trouble with one of them"

By reason of his long life among them, Colonel Cummins is known to most of the Indian tribes of the country. He has had an Indian show of some kind at nearly every national ind international exposition since 1890.

Labels: , , , , , ,

February 19, 1908



Now Mecum Is Trailing Them, Very
Leisurely, in a Covered Wagon.

Esta Mecum and John Mellinger, each aged 12 years, were yesterday ordered detained by Judge H. L. McCune, sitting in the juvenile court, until homes can be found for them with relatives or others able to provide for them. This will enable Esta's father to continue the hunt for the boy's mother "and that there outlaw Tom Hopkins," as old man Mecum designated a former friend.

"He is an outlaw, is he?" inquired Judge McCune of the witness, Mecum, who was before the bar to explain why he was making the boy sell silver polish while he himself was buying beer.

"I think he is," said the rustic Sherlock Holmes. "I had 20 acres up in Michigan and he and my woman sat fire to the house and barn and said that the Indians had done it. Then he ran away with this boy's mother, and I set out to trial them."

"Indians up there?" Judge McCune inquired.

"There's a reservation; yes sir."

Sherlock's account of his trail was touching. He had been overhauled with a man named John Mellinger, father of a boy named likewise, the boy being then before the court.

"They tell me you and Mellinger were making these boys sell the silver polish while you and he drank up the proceeds. What is Mellinger to you?"

"Nothin' much, I kinder suspect him."

"More of your detective work?" the court asked.

"I reckon you'd call it that. He knows where my wife and Tom Hopkins are."

Humane officer McCrary said that if the ametuer detective would take a peep in the holdover, he would see his friend there, safe and sound, awaiting investigation.

The court took charge of the two boys until permanent homes can be found for them. Mecum said that he was a stone mason by trade but admitted he did not want a job -- "Not just now, anyway." He added, "I want to follow my wife and that outlaw, Tom Hopkins. They's gone north again."

He is following in a covered wagon. He explained that when Mrs. Mecum decamped she shipped the boy before the court to "Busy Bee Arizona." He meant Bisby.

Labels: , , ,

December 30, 1907



Special Examination Will Be Held
Here in January 27 -- There Are
Many Other Vacancies
Under Civil Service.

Difficulty is being encountered by the United States civil service in securing eompetent stenographers and typewriters, according to a bulletin issued by the government, through the district secretary in St. Louis. Competent persons are urgently requested to file their applications for positions with the civil service commission at Washington, D. C., immediately. A special examination will be held in many cities, including Kansas City, on January 27.

Examinations for applicants to thirty or forty other positions, chiefly in the Indian service, will also be held this month in Kansas City. Twenty grade teachers are wanted for positions in South Dakota, Nebraska, New Mexico and Arizona at salaries ranging from $50 a month upward. These will be held on January 22. On January 15 there will be an examination to secure men eligible to serve as physicians in the Indian service. The number wanted is not stated.

If more candidates pass the examinations than there are positions immediately vacant, the names will be kept for later vacancies in the same line of work. Full information may be obtained at the Kansas City post office.

Labels: , , , ,

December 28, 1907


Only to Fall Down Elevator Shaft to
Probable Death.

By a strange perversity of fate J. W. Turner, who lives at 1216 Locust street, escaped the Custer slaughter of 1876 and passed safely through the Spanish-American war, only to fall down an elevator shaft at the Avery Manufacturing Company's building, 1000 Santa Fe street, yesterday morning to almost certain death.

When Turner was 23 years old he enlisted in the famous Seventh cavalry which was annihilated by the Indians under Chief Sitting Bull at the massacre of the Little Big Horn. Turner himself did not participate in that battle. Three days before it came about he had received a two months' furlough in order to visit his family in Indianapolis, Ind., where he was born.

When he heard of the massacre he was but fifty miles from the battlefield. He turned back, scarcely believing the report that not a single one of his comrades had escaped slaughter, and proceeded to the battlefield where he readily saw that all he had been told was true. He has said over and over again that he would have given anything in the world which he possessed if he might have only been in that battle.

Turner is 54 years of age, and at the time of his accident he was employed by the Kansas City House and Window Cleaning Company, as foreman of the window cleaning gang at the Avery Manufacturing Company, 1000 Santa Fe street.

Yesterday morning he went into the office of the shipping clerk, and seeing the elevator boy, Sullivan Thomas, standing by the elevator shaft, he asked, "Are you going to take me up?"

"Sure," replied Thomas, as he got up from his chair and walked to the door of the shaft.

Thomas was familiar with the workings of the elevator and so opened the door himself, looking back at the boy as he did so. Still looking backward, he stepped through the door where the elevator should have been and fell to the basement. Turner was taken to the emergency hospital and afterwards removed to the general hospital. The hospital authorities said last night that there was a small chance of his surviving the night.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

December 18, 1907


In Other Respects George Daily, In-
dian Policeman, Is in Style.

After having been separated from his mother for about 30 years, George Daily, an Otoe Indian, who is a police officer on the Red Rock reservation in Oklahoma, passed through Kansas City last night en route to the Crow reservation in Nebraska to pay is aged mother a visit. She was the squaw of an Indian chief named Seetone, who was at the head of a tribe in Nebraska many years ago, and she is now 74 years of age. Daily was but 10 years old when he went to Oklahoma. He was educated in the schools of Oklahoma.

At the Union station last night he was dressed as the average American, except that his long black hair was braided, wrapped with green ribbon, with tails of squirrels hanging to the bottom of the braids.

Labels: , ,

November 28, 1907


Guardians of Indian Burial Grounds
Must Give Builders an Chance.

Judge McCabe Moore yesterday in the district court of Wyandotte county granted a restraining order against the Conley sisters in behalf of the Scottish Rite Masonic lodge of Kansas City, Kas. The Conley sisters -- Lyda, Ellena and Ida -- are of Wyandotte descent and are camped in the old Indian burial ground in Huron place to prevent the desecration of their forefathers' graves by the government. An order has been made by the national congress that the department of interior shall sell the cemetery.

The Masonic lodge is building a temple to replace the one destroyed by fire a year ago at Seventh street and Ann avenue. A week ago workmen took down the fence around the burying ground, but were beaten back by the young women who promptly, under guard, rebuilt the fence. In the application made yesterday by Attorney Will Wood, the Masons stated that the women are interfering with the grading for the temple.

Labels: , , , ,

September 5, 1907


Indian Territory Mystery Has a Kan-
sas City End.

An Indian Territory tragedy developed a Kansas City end yesterday when Dr. Willliam Cross made out a certificate to the effect that he had found poison in a stomach which had been sent him from Kiowa, I. T.

Dr. Cross had in bottles on his shelves the stomach, brains and liver of "a female, 21 years old, married, fullblood Indian," and excepting that the extraordinary consignment had been made to him by H. P. Ward, a merchant in Kiowa, he knew nothing more.

"I suppose there has been a murder down there," said Dr. Cross. "Two weeks ago I got three bottles by express, together with a note saying that poisoning was suspected. I was asked to make an analysis for strychnine. The final instructions came yesterday, and I took the stomach of the Indian woman into my laboratory. I found it reeking with strychnine.

"My information is that four doctors had attended the woman during her illness of twenty-four hours, and that they had reported her convulsions due to natural causes. The citizens took the matter up, bottled these parts of the remains, shipped them up here and instructed that the analysis be made.

"I do not know whether it was murder or anything else, but there is plenty of strychnine in that bottle to account for one."

Labels: , , ,

April 18, 1907


Virginia Boy, Disappointed, Started
on the Way Home.

Clark Freeland, 13 years old, from New Martinsville, Va., came west to hunt buffalo and fight Indians. He landed here in April 5 and was first brought to the notice of the police when he tried to beat his way over the new inter-city viaduct. He had been told that the buffalo were all on the other side of the river and he had spent the 75 cents with which he landed.

Yesterday a telegram with money for a ticket home came to the police for the buffalo and Indian hunter from his father, Dr. W. P. Freeland. The police went out and gathered in Clark again and last night he was sent back to the effete East, a disheartened boy.

"I hate to go back," he said, "without having killed a single buffalo. And I haven't seen an Indian either."

"The buffaloes are all hibernating now," he was told by Lieutenant H. W. Hammil, "and the Indians are all out trapping and hunting furs for your Eastern people to wear." The boy said that was too bad, and left.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

January 11, 1907




Maggie Paul Says Clothes She is Alleged to Have Stolen Were
Given to Her -- Mrs. Moran, Medium, Tells a Different Story.

Miss Maggie Paul, the 18-year old daughter of J. J. Paul, saloonkeeper at Eighteenth and Charlotte streets, was arraigned before Justice Miller yesterday charged by Mrs. D. J. Moran, a fortune teller at 815 East Fifteenth street, with taking $91.75 worth of wearing apparel. She pleaded not guilty and her bond was fixed at $500. She was held over night in the matron's room at police headquarters and expects to give bond today.

Miss Paul said she had lived at Mrs. Moran's and played the piano during what she terms a "spirit fortune telling stunt supposed to be presided over by a defunct Indian chief, one 'White Coon.' " She also says that, had she married John Moran, the 24-year-old son of the fortune teller, she would have had none of her present troubles.

"She has been trying for a long time to get me to marry her son," said Miss Paul last night. "I went to a dance Christmas eve at 910 Campbell street with Mrs. Moran's daughter. When I got to thinking of that marrying business it was all so repulsive to me that I ran away and went to the house of a friend at 1214 East Eight street.

"When I am around where that woman is she casts a kind of spell over me and I can't but obey her every wish. It took all my courage to make up my mind to run away from it all. I got tired of playing for a lot of fake fortune telling business anyway. Often I have seen a person with money come to the seance and heard one of the Morans say: 'Trim that sucker. Don't let him get away. Make arrangements for a private seance for he's got real money.' It was all so false and shammy to one who knew and I didn't want to marry John Moran anyway."

Mrs. J. J. Paul, Maggie's mother, and George Brown, to whose house she went when she ran away from the 'White Coon' seances, went to police headquarters last night to see her daughter.

"This is all a trumped up charge which cannot be proved," said the mother. "That woman has had a hypnotic spell over my daughter for two years. We used to live in Midland court on East Sixteenth street and Mrs. Moran lived just across the street. Maggie got to going there and right then the trouble began. Maggie was made to believe that I was killing her with slow poison and she was afraid of me. Didn't I go to Mrs. Moran's house where she had Maggie locked up in the cellar and make her give her up?

"The girl fears that woman right now. You can see it. All this has been done because she ran away when engaged to John Moran. And I don't blame her for that or leaving those Indian 'White Coon' seances, either."

Miss Paul said that a sealskin cloak, valued at $50, which she is charged with taking, was stolen from the cloak room at the dance hall at 910 Campbell three weeks ago when Miss Moran was along. A skirt, valued in the complaint at $17, she was wearing yesterday. She said it cost $3.50 and was given to her by Mrs. Moran and would fit no one else in the family. In fact, she claims that all the missing clothing but the cloak was either given her previous to or at Christmas.

Miss Paul was arrested by Detective William Bates yesterday afternoon at the home of a friend at Eight street and Forest avenue. She said she had left the Brown home because she heard Mrs. Moran had found out where she was, and she was afraid she would "look at me that way again, and then I would have to go back and do anything asked -- perhaps marry John."

The girl who is afraid of the woman who gives seances controlled by the ancient Indian spirit, "White Coon," has blue eyes, blonde hair, and is petite and pretty.

Said Mrs. Moran, when asked about Miss Paul:

"On Christmas night she wore my sealskin coat to a Yoeman's ball at 910 Campbell street. She came home without the coat, and said it had been stolen. New Year's night she put on $42.25 worth of our silk clothes, jewelry and a hat and went to another Yeoman's ball with Mamie. That time she got lost from Mamie and we just found her today living at 1214 East Eighth street with the same Mrs. Brown who had her arrested the time we paid her fine. We've heard that the sealskin jacket was thrown from the window to someone and wasn't stolen. We stuck to her, even when her mother was going to have us arrested for harboring her. We thought her parents were hard on her. They have a divorce case on trial tomorrow."

"Did Miss Paul assist in your seances?"

"Oh, she sat in them," explained Mrs. Moran's husband, "but she didn't help earn any of the clothes."

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,


Get the Book
Vintage Kansas City Stories ~ Early 20th Century Americana as Immortalized in The Kansas City Journal
Kansas City Stories

Early Kansas City, Missouri

>>More KC Books<<

The History and Heritage of Vintage Kansas City in Books
Vintage Kansas
City Bookstore

Powered by Blogger

Vintage Kansas

Vintage Antique Classics ~ Vintage Music, Software, and more Time Travel Accessories

In association with
KC Web ~ The Ultimate Kansas City Internet Directory