Find Kansas City Antiques and Collectibles at the Vintage Kansas City Marketplace ~ Own a Piece of Old KC

Vintage Kansas



Old News
Headlines and Articles from The Kansas City Journal

Business Office...4000 Main
City Editor.....4001 Main
Society Editor....4002 Main

Two cents. Subscription Rates:  By carrier, per week, 10 cents; per month, 45 cents.  By mail, daily and Sunday, one month, 40 cents; three months, $1.00; six months, $2.00; one year, $4.00.  Sunday only, six months, 75 cents; one year, $1.50.  Weekly Journal, 25 cents one year.

Like Vintage Kansas City on Facebook

As We See 'Em ~ Caricatures of Prominent Kansas Cityans

The Isis Theatre ~ Kansas City, Missouri

The History of Fairmount Park

Claims of Cancer Cured by Dr. Bye in Vintage KC Missouri

Special Cut Prices ~ Always the Same

Blogging Fusion Blog Directory

February 7, 1910


Police Hold Thirteen Suspected of
Being Professional Beggars.

What the police believe to be an organized gang of professional beggars was effectually broken up yesterday morning, when thirteen men and women were taken from 12 East Missouri avenue to police headquarters pending investigation.

Tacked on the back of a door of their quarters was a placard on which was written the dates of various forthcoming attractions at Convention hall, presumably compiled as a reminder of the "on nights." The circus to open in the big hall on February 14 was noted, together with the auto show to be held February 28. The telephone number of Convention hall was also jotted down across the bottom of the card.

Three men who gave their names as Ed Murray, Harry Beach and George Wilson were apparently the leaders, as "general orders" by each of them posted about the walls of the room, indicated that the others were directed where and when to "work."

One of the women had a 3-year-old child and the police say she has been seen several times begging on the streets with her baby in her arms. It is understood that the nickels and dimes collected went into a general fund which was apportioned and divided according to the standing of each member.

Labels: , ,

February 4, 1910


Sly Attempt of Wrongdoers to En-
list Official Sympathy.

"Did it ever occur to you," asked Inspector Edward P. Boyle last night, "how many men when arrested will take the name of the chief of police, the police judge or some other official with whom they have to come in contact? They hope to gain sympathy by that ruse. We got a man yesterday for horse stealing, and, by gosh, he gave the name of Edward P. Boyle, my full name. He is in the county jail now under my name, but when we looked him up in the National Bureau of Identification, we find that he has a goodly supply of names."

"Boyle" was arrested by L. C. Barber, a motorcycle policeman, on complaint of of the Kirby Transfer Company, Missouri and Grand avenues. It appears that he rented a horse and wagon from Kirby to do a huckster business and disposed of the rig.

"Boyle's" picture is in the book sent out by the National Bureau of Identification at Washington. He appears there under the name of James J. O'Neil, which, bu the way, is the name of a former chief of police of Chicago. He also bears the names of Edward Riley and Edward Connors, the last being believed by the police to be his. He has done time in the Rochester, N. Y., Industrial school, the Elmira, N. Y., reformatory, and two years in the Auburn, N. Y., penitentiary. He was five years in Elmira. The man of many "police" names also has done short terms elsewhere.

When Hugh C. Brady was police judge there hardly was a week that some bum did not give the name of "Hugh Brady, sir, yer honor."

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

January 25, 1910


Barber College Law, Which Prohibits
Charging, Will Be Tested.

The "poor man's" shave may become a thing of the past. The State Board of Barbers is after the barber colleges that give a shave for a nickel. Complaint was made yesterday to the prosecuting attorney and information will be filed this week in the criminal court to test the validity of the barber law.

A barber college at Missouri avenue and Delaware street will be made the defendant. It is charged that the owner has placed a barber pole in front of his "school," and that he charges five cents for a shave. It is also charged that the owner, or "president," advertises in the newspapers and employs barbers.

The law requires that barber colleges shall not charge for shaves and hair cuts, the barber pole shall not be displayed and only the "students" shall work upon the "victims."

Labels: , , ,

January 24, 1910



Body of Oscar Schoen, Aged
70, Found Amid His

With his head pillowed on a cash box containing $15,000 worth of negotiable securities, mostly government bonds and money orders, Oscar Schoen, a retired shoemaker, 70 years old, was found dead in bed in a squalid room at Missouri avenue and Main streets yesterday morning.

The old man's hand clutched a half emptied phial of morphine tablets while at his side lay a loaded 38-caliber revolver. One of the cartridges had been snapped but had failed to ignite.

Coroner Harry Czarlinsky, who was summoned, stated that death was due to morphine poisoning, whether taken as an overdose or with suicidal intent he was unable to state. He ordered the body taken to Freeman & Marshall's undertaking establishment.


Although Schoen had occupied the same room in which he was found for over two years, little or nothing was known about him by the owner of the rooming house. He was last seen alive on Thursday morning by Guy Holmes, the janitor of the premises. He told Holmes that he was feeling sick and that if it were not for the expense he would visit a doctor. He used to retire regularly at 6 o'clock every evening and rise at 8 in the morning, when he would go out and buy the daily papers, return and stay in his room. Rarely he made trips up to town.

Police headquarters was notified of the old man's death and Patrolman John P. McCauley, who was sent to investigate, made a further search of the room. Concealed behind an old stove in which Schoen had done his cooking was found $60 in bills and silver, and in an old carpetbag apparently discarded and thrown under the bed, the officer located several abstracts and deeds to Kansas City property in the vicinity of Thirty-first and Troost avenue, which are supposedly of considerable value.


Schoen's last will and testament was also found in an old pocketbook. By its provisions all his property is bequeathed to relatives by the name of Goetz living in Kempsvile, Ill. Charles A. Schoen, a brother at Darlington, Ind., was named as executor. The police have telegraphed to all parties concerned.

One of the witnesses of the will was the manager of a local real estate firm, through whom Schoen had conducted his business. He stated that he know that the old man owned a great deal of property. Schoen at one time conducted a cobbler's shop at 2442 Broadway, but left there about four years ago, giving his reason for selling out and moving the fact that robberies were too common in that part of town.

Naturalization papers dated 1872 and taken out at Darlington, Ind., were found among Schoen's effects, together with several applications to different German provident associations.

Schoen had lived in Kansas City about twenty-two years. He has a sister, Mrs. Bertha H. Goetz, at Kempsville, Ill., and a niece, Mrs. Agnes Yak Shan, residing in Alaska.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

January 13, 1910


Person Using One Can Be Tried Only
on False Pretense Charge.

To pass a worthless Confederate greenback is no violation either of the state or federal law, decided the prosecuting attorney's office yesterday, and the only charge that might be entertained is the obtaining of money under false pretenses.

A five-dollar bill, made in 1862 by the state of Georgia and issued by the Merchants and Planters' bank for the states of the Southern Confederacy, was passed a short time ago on Mrs. Max Joffey, Missouri avenue and Locust street. The woman who presented it bought 60 cents worth of goods and was given $4.60 in change. The case was presented to the United States district attorney.

"This five-dollar bill is not counterfeit, as at one time it was genuine legal tender," said Norman Woodson, assistant prosecuting attorney, yesterday. "The only charge the woman can be tried for is false pretense. No warrant has been issued."

Labels: , , , ,

January 3, 1910



Covered With Mud, He Broke
Into Station, but Later
Showed Big Roll.
Detective Joe Halvey Narrates a Tale.

Murder was in the air in the detective bureau rooms of Central police station -- murder, along with other things, particularly tobacco smoke. This is said to be the atmosphere of a police secret service department the world over.

It is stronger when there is a story telling contest on and the sweating of a murder suspect in an adjoining room. Detective Joe Halvey had elected to while away the time until the end of the secret conference. His audience consisted of newspaper men, Inspector of Detectives Edward Boyle and Detectives Robert Truman and Dave Oldham.

"It was a late spring night three years ago," said Detective Halvey. "One of those chilly early mornings when reporters love to sit about the 'phone in the lobby and call up instead of going out after their stories," he added, with a ponderous wink.


"It was a very cold night and a wind like the one spoken of in the scriptures was blowing down Missouri avenue."

"What kind of a thing was that scriptural wind?" inquired the reporter.

"I don't see why you intellectual cubs never seem to have had a religious bringing up," scornfully broke in Inspector Boyle, who prides himself in having maintained a Bible in his home since his marriage twenty years ago. "I think it is in Psalms where a March wind is spoken of that blows the straw hat wherever it listeth while many a good man and strong sweareth thereat."

The silence which followed the inspector's quotation was profound. The narrator took advantage of the lull.

"Well, it was getting along toward the second owl car. Michael O'Brien had just brought in a 'drunk' and booked him under the charge of investigation and Pat O'Brien and I were toasting our shins by a warm fire in this same office. I remember every detail, you see, just as though it was yesterday.


"Suddenly there came from somewhere on Fifth street near the Helping Hand institute, a blood curdling yell ending in a sort of a sob, as though some man was being choked.

"There were twelve good men in different parts of the station, wherever there was a heating stove, and all jumped at once. There had been a good many holdups during the winter months and of course the first thing we thought was that some villain had made a touch under the eaves of the station. We were not going to stand for that, no sir-e-e-e.

"I was about the first of the officers to reach the big folding doors in the north end of the station. My six shooter was in my hand and there was blood in my eye, I can tell you. If there was something going on I wasn't bound to let the blue uniformed mutts with the brass buttons do the pinch act to the discredit of the detective department.

"Just as I had reached the last step the doors flew open in my face. There was just enough time for action and no time for thought. A lean white streak had started to unwind itself up the stairway when I dropped on it like a thousand bricks.


" 'Look out below!' I yelled, grabbing it by the neck and bearing it to the linoleum. Then I made a careful analysis. what I was holding was a naked man shivering with the cold and dirtier than any tramp from having been dragged in the mud. 'Great thunder,' said I, 'this must be Adam returned to look after his Eden interests. Who are you, anyway?'


"It didn't take much tugging and hauling after I got up off of him to get him in front of the desk sergeant and it took still less time for the entire force to see that he was in the last stages of destitution. He didn't have a finger ring left and his clothing was mud.

" 'What's your name?' the sergeant asked.

" 'You can put me down John Smith,' said 'Adam' with a groan. 'I ain't got any other name, for political reasons. Gentlemen, what I want is clothes, clothes, clothes.'


"The nude wonder somehow looked respectable and we could see that he was right about what he wanted. Half a dozen of us took him into the sink room and gave him a bath, while the rest of the shortstops went in search of clothes. He was not a very tall man and very slim, while the officers we had to draw from were all big, so when we got done with dressing him he looked like a Populist of the short grass country the year of the drought.

"I can't help but laugh when I think of him sitting there in the detectives' room with the waist band of the sergeant's extra trousers drawn up under his arm and his feet in shoes the size of four-dollar dictionaries.


"But for all his togs he couldn't help but look respectable. Every time he opened his mouth he emitted an idea by the double handful, which was strange considering his appearance when we first saw him. He was no ordinary man, that was a cinch. He was a genius.


"About the time we were settling back into the humdrum of waiting until morning the unknown quantity took a hitch on himself and asked: 'Where are the reporters? Seems like there ought to be one or more around. It isn't time for the second mail edition yet.'

"We told him there was a little reporter named Billings in the room allowed for the use of newspaper men and that he was probably at that moment writing a story of how a naked, insane man had broken into the police station with the intent to murder the captain.

" 'I'll risk it,' he said with a laugh, 'send him to me.'

"We sent for Billings and it was evident that the two would be kindred spirits. The very first thing the stranger said to the reporter was what he refused to tell the sergeant, and that was how he had come to be naked. We had set him down to be a sort of a crank with spells of lucidness who had undressed and run into the station on a bet, but now we knew better.


" 'I was held up and robbed because I got into bad company trying to have a good time when I ought to have been decent,' he told Billings. 'I am sure none of this I tell you will get into the papers because I am a fellow newspaper man.

" 'Now what I want is clothes. I haven't got a cent but plenty of credit. I can get $10,000 anywhere when the banks open. I want you to strike some second-hand clothing store where the proprietor sleeps in the rear and get me a complete suit. I'll pay you when pay day comes.'

"Billings did not answer at once, and we could see he was studying hard. He had the money, for it was Saturday, the day he got paid, but he appeared not to like the idea of lending so much on such a short acquaintance. Finally an idea seemed to come to him. He looked sharply at the stranger and asked rather quick: 'What's thirty?' Now 'thirty' is a newspaper term that few people understand, but this one answered in a second, grinning from ear to ear: 'It means to chuck work and go home,' he answered.


"Well, sir, the reporter did just as he said and got a whole outfit for $14.50 and the stranger left at daybreak telling us all to stick around until he could get another and better rig and return.

"In three or four hours he was back. He had on a brand new suit of the best ready-made clothes in town, patent leather shoes and a plug hat. Also he had a roll of $100 bills so large that they wouldn't go into his inside coat pocket without a special effort. He was showing us that he had the credit he had boasted about.

"This time when we saw him he was feeling better toward the world and would talk more about himself, but he wouldn't tell his name, although I have since suspected the reporter knew it. He told us, though, that he was a prominent Missouri editor with aspirations to the United States senate.

"He had been in politics for years with his paper and never wanted anything so bad as that Senate plum. His platform from the start, he said, had been the cleaning up of the state morally.


" 'I have preached against immorality so much," he explained, 'that I just had to get out and find the truth about the other side. If my political enemies get hold of last night's caper it will be my undoing.'

"After he had gone the reporter looked at me and said: 'Well, we have promised never to mention this and it is safe, I guess. But my! what a story it would be for some newspapers I know.'

"The reporter is out of town now. By the way, Billings wasn't his name, either. I wonder which United States senatorial candidate that was?"

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

December 30, 1909


Italian Promises Police Board to
Bar Them in Future.

The board of police commissioners is having a hard time impressing upon the Italians of "Little Italy" the fact that their women must not frequent saloons. In the past some Italian women have b een as much at home in the saloon as in the home; in fact, many of them used to tend bar while their husbands were at meals.

Yesterday Mattaeo La Salla, who has a saloon at Missouri avenue and Cherry street, was before the board for permitting his wife and mother to frequent his saloon. It was some time before Judge Middlebrook could impress La Salla with the fact that there was a law in this state which prevents women from frequenting saloons. The Italian looked worried, puzzled, but he promised that his women folks would keep out of his saloon in the future.

Salino Defeo, 600 East Fifth street, and his bartender were seen twice, it is alleged , to serve a woman with a bucket of beer. Commissioner Marks was closing Defeo's saloon for two days, but, being Christmas week, Judge Middlebrook thought the board should be more lenient and a reprimand was given.

For having a man not in his employ in his saloon at 1:20 a. m. last Friday, John Honl, a saloonkeeper at 7306 East Fifteenth street, was ordered to close his place Friday and Saturday.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

August 28, 1909



"We Shall See," Said Mrs. Mary
Baughman, When the Juvenile
Court Took Her Grand Child-
ren From Her.

It took threats of imprisonment to move Mrs. Mary Baughman, who was born McCormick, from the juvenile court room yesterday afternoon. Even in parting she was not subdued.

"It will break my heart to part with the children and I will have them, court or no court," was her defy as she rose to go.

"If you make trouble we shall have to put you in jail," said Judge E. E. Porterfield.

"Yes, we shall see," retorted the irate grandmother. "It doesn't become a judge to talk that way to a woman who is asking nothing but the right to care for her children," and she swept from the room.
"It's my own fault for running to those probation officers with my troubles," said Mrs. Baughman afterward. "Pearl and Frances Harmiston, my grandchildren, have had me as their only support since they were small. Lately I have had them in St. Agnes home. Their mother, my daughter, Mrs. Charlsie Wiggons, 214 East Missouri avenue, is doing better now than she did and I thought she ought to help a little to support the girls. So I asked the probation officers what I could do to make her help me. Instead of this, they bring them into court and send to them to St. Joseph's home, where the little ones have to wash and scrub floors. I have always worked hard, but it wasn't 'till I was a woman grown and had the strength. I was born a McCormick, and I will have the children."

The Harmiston children were sent to St. Joseph's home during the morning session of the court, over the grandmother's protest.

The records show that they were in court as neglected children, on complaint of their mother.

In the afternoon Mrs. Baughman returned and sat patiently until 4 o'clock, when she asked the court again to give her the children. The threat to send her to jail followed.

Labels: , , ,

July 7, 1909


None of the Passengers in Temple Build-
ing Seriously Hurt.

Dropping four floors with out seriously injuring anyone was the record made by the new electric elevator in the Temple building, Missouri avenue and Main street, yesterday afternoon.

The elevator had started up from the first floor with four passengers. As it neared the fourth an elderly man approached the cage. The elevator boy did not notice him and did not make the fourth floor stop. The old man asked the boy if he were not going to stop, whereupon the boy brought his car to a sudden stop a few feet above the fourth floor landing. In sudden strain, the cable which held the car gave way and the lift started down. The automatic catches kept it from falling rapidly. At the second floor the elevator boy gained partial control by using the emergency lever, and the car slowly settled, hitting the bottom of the elevator pit with a thump which jarred the passengers sharply, but hurt no one seriously.

Miss Laura Catherman, 1419 Minnesota avenue, Kansas City, Kas., received a slight sprain on her left ankle.

The passengers were prisoners in the pit for nearly half an hour.

Labels: , , ,

June 13, 1909


Helping Hand Committee, Looking
for Location, find it Unavailable.

After a thorough inspection of the Nelson building, Missouri avenue and Main street, the committee from the Helping Hand institute passed unfavorably upon it for the institute's use.

George W. Fuller, one of the committee, said last night:

"We found the Nelson building of such a style of construction as to render it unavailable for our use. The executive board of the Helping Hand institute muss pass upon the matter as yet, but our report will be an unfavorable one.

"There are two or three other places which we have in view for a new location, but there is nothing definite about them as yet. We are very anxious to get the Pacific house, Fourth and Delaware streets, but we have been unable to do so."

Labels: , , , ,

June 11, 1909


Helping Hand Institute Finds Head-
quarters Inadequate.

Believing that its present home is inadequate, the Helping Hand institute h as decided to move from the location at 408-10 Main street. This afternoon a committee will visit the new Nelson building at Missouri avenue and Main street with a view to finding accommodations there.

The property now occupied by the institute is owned by it through the building numbered 410 Main street carries an indebtedness of $4,000.

The conditions which make a change advisable were pointed out by Edward A. Brown of Denver, who slept at Kansas City's municipal lodging house one night not long since. His criticisms caused a thorough investigation, which resulted in a desire to change to a more advantageous building, and still remain within the financial resources of the institution.

The committee which will visit the Nelson building is composed of G. W. Fuller, Dr. John Punton, C. D. Mill and E. T. Brigham.

Labels: , , ,

May 19, 1909



Seventy-Six Years Old, Mr. Furgason
Had Long Been Active in
the Charities of
the City.

As the result of a paralytic stroke which came to him over three weeks ago, Francis M. Furgason, president of the Furgason & Tabb Underwriting Company, with offices in the Dwight building, and a pioneer among the progressive men of this city, died quietly at his home, 1006 East Thirty-third street, at 5 o'clock yesterday afternoon. He was 76 years old.

Until a few days ago it was hoped that the stricken man might partially recover, although it was conceded by family physicians that a third stroke would cause his death. At times there seemed to be even chances that the third stroke would not come, for the patient and frequent rallies and the advantage of a hardy physique. Monday, however, he began to fail and early yesterday morning it was known that there was no hope for him. The funeral will be held Thursday afternoon at 3 o'clock from Calvary Baptist church. Dr. F. C. McConnell, Rev. J. M. Cromer and Rev. H. T. Ford will officiate in the services. The deacons of the church will act as active pallbearers. Interment will be in Elmwood cemetery.


Mr. Furgason was born near Indianapolis, Ind., April 1, 1833. His father was a pioneer of sturdy Scotch extraction, who had pushed west to the Hoosier state when it was yet a wilderness and staked out a farm at what is now the very center of Indianapolis. Mr. Furgason spent his first years on the farm, but at 18 his father sent him to Franklin college.

Mr. Furgason was graduated at Franklin when he was 22 years old, at the head of a large class for that time. The following year he was made a teacher at the college, and three years later elected to the presidency, which place hie filled, it is said, with credit to himself and the institution until the year 1867, when he gave up his collegiate work and came to Kansas City, where he became involved in the insurance trade.

In 1861 the Y. M. C. A., which was then only an infant organization, was in bad financial straits and temporarily suspended. The war, which had been the cause of the trouble, was now over and many members had returned and were anxious to revive the association on a more active basis than ever before. The board met and Mr. Furgason was elected president of the Y. M. C. A. D. A. Williams, an electrician, was made secretary. The move proved a fortunate one for the associaton.

Under Mr. Furgason's management headquarters and a reading room were established on the south side of Missouri avenue on Delaware. Rent was obtained free from the late D. L. Shouse, then a banker, and the four years of the Furgason administration saw the Y. M. C. A. on an improved financial basis, with a membership that was twice as large as it had been at any previous period. Mr. Furgason never gave up his interest in the Y. M. C. A. and other organizations for the benefit of the younger element of the city.

Soon after his connection with Y. M. C. A., Mr. Furgson was hired as a teacher in the Franklin school at Fourteenth and Washington streets, and served in this capacity eight years. After this he resumed his former occupation of insurance agent and followed it until his retirement from active business a few years ago.


"He was one of the kindest and gentlest old men I have ever had the pleasure of knowing," said the Rev. F. C. McConnell of the Calvary Baptist church recently. "I knew Mr. Furgason for thirty-five years," said George Peake, a veteran accountant, who has offices in the First National bank building. "It seemed as if he had the perpetual desire to extend sunshine in all directions."

Mr. Furgason was married twice, once in the early 50s, the last time to Mrs. Laura Branham in 1858. His widow and one son, Frank, who has taken his place in the firm of Furgason & Tabb, survive him. A son, Arthur, and a daughter, Emma, died within a few months of each other three years ago.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

May 12, 1909


Independence Man Recovers Valu-
able Horse and Buggy.

As Thomas Hughes, an Independence liveryman, was walking on Walnut street near Missouri avenue, yesterday afternoon he was wondering what had become of a fine horse and buggy, which had disappeared from his barn the night before. Hughes was on his way to police headquarters, in fact, to talk it over with the cops, when lo and behold, he espied the missing nag and vehicle. Walter Ayers and W. H. Dunn, young men, were in the buggy.

Hughes grabbed the horse by the bridle and then called Patrolman Henry Harris, who arrested Ayers and Dunn. The former lives about five miles from Independence, while Dunn says his home is in Kansas City. Hughes took his horse and buggy to Independence. The young men are being held for investigation.

Labels: , , , , , ,

May 1, 1909


Member of Police Force for Many
Years Dies Suddenly.

"Pat" Hunt, for thirty-five years a member of the Kansas City police force and accounted one of the bravest men who ever wore the star of the department, died yesterday afternoon at 4 o'clock at his home, 3272 Oak street. He died in harness, being at the time of his death jailer at the Walnut street police station. Only a few days before his death he was actively attending to his duties.

Patrick H. Hunt was born at Ballylangford, County Kerry, Ireland, and came to this country when a boy. For several years he lived near Corning, N. Y., but about forty years ago came to this city and was one of the grading contractors who helped to construct the Hannibal bridge.

He was made a member of the police force in 1874 and assigned to a beat in "Hell's Half Acre," the toughest district in the city. This hole in the Bottoms was a refuge of thugs, crooks, gamblers and negro bad men. Patrolman Hunt made a record for bravery in this position which has been handed down as a tradition among the class of people with whom he worked. In his declining years every negro who had been brought up in the city doffed his hat to "Pat" Hunt when he entered the Walnut street police station.

Hunt was taken off his beat and made a city detective after six years of service and served in that capacity for twenty years. Former Chief of Police John Hayes, George Bryant and Con O'Hare are some of the men who formerly "worked" with Hunt. When Hunt decided to retire from active work as a detective he was made jailor at the Flora avenue police station, and about five years ago was transferred to No. 4.

He married Miss Madge Sheehan thirty-eight years ago. One child, Henry, was born. Both wife and son are now dead. For thirty-five years, until a year ago, Mr. Hunt lived at 1122 Missouri avenue. A sister, Mrs. Mary Hunt, lives at the Oak street address. No other relatives survive. Funeral arrangements have not been made. Captain Thomas P. Flahive, under whom Mr. Hunt worked for the last five years, said last night:

"I have been intimately associated with 'Pat' Hunt for twenty-seven years, and in my mind there was never a braver or more straightforward man on the Kansas City police force. He was no less beloved for his gentleness and generosity than he was feared for his justness and courage. The police force in Kansas City has lost one of its real heroes.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

February 18, 1909


Dr. Shirk's Runabout Is Damaged at
Missouri and Grand.

When Dr. William Shirk's motor run-about collided with a Westport car at Missouri and Grand avenues shortly before 1 o'clock yesterday afternoon, the automobile proved the chief sufferer. Two wheels were smashed. Nobody was hurt.

The motor car, with Dr. Shirk, who has an office in the Commerce building, and Dr. G. A. Graham of 1101 East Eighth street, was eastward bound on Missouri avenue. A car had just passed going south on Grand. Dr. Shirk, as he explained afterwards, was of the impression that street cars did not run north on Grand at that intersection. So, when the southbound car had cleared the crossing, he made the dash for it, only to be caught by the Westport car.

Labels: , , , , , ,

December 30, 1908


To Raise Money for Relief of Stricken
People -- Many Have Rela-
tives in Sicily.

Local Little Italy, which might more specifically be called Lesser Sicily, since most of its residents come from that stricken island, received the news of the earthquake that killed scores of thousands with an expectant stoicism that utterly belies what books say about the volatile Italian nature. It was expectant, in that the Sicilians and Calabrians of Kansas City are bravely awaiting the horrible details which only days can bring forth. Accounts at best are but meager and the fate of the members of their families cannot be known for a fortnight.

They are not wringing their hands in anguish. Instead, they are occupied with a demonstration much more to the purpose.

"We must get together and raise some money for them," said Dr. L. Laurenzana of 522 East Fifth street, last night. With that he stepped to the telephone and called up the Italian consul, Pietro Isnardi. A business-like conversation in Italian ensued.


"A mass meeting of all Italians in Kansas City will be held at the hall adjoining the Church of the Holy Rosary at Missouri avenue and Campbell street, Sunday afternoon at 1 o'clock," said the doctor as he turned away from the telephone. "We raised nearly $400 for the earthquake sufferers in Calabria, three years ago, and we ought to do better than that this time."

Dr. Laurenzana has a cousin, Anello Alfano by name, who is a railroad contractor at Pizzo on the Calabrian toe of the Italian boot, only four miles and a half from Reggio, where so many thousands were killed Monday.

Walter Randazzo of 104 East Fifth street, too, has a cousin, Cologero Randazzo, who held a government position at Messina, where 12,000 people are said to have lost their lives.

"I came from Palermo," said Mr.Randazzo, "and, as I understand it, the western part of the island, where the city is located, was not badly affected by the quake. Palermo is a long way from Messina. You leave there on the train at night and don't reach Messina until the next morning."


S. J. Tremonte, proprietor of the Italian Castle cafe at Fifth and Oak streets, comes from Gibbellins, a town of about 15,000 inhabitants, lying forty-four miles from Palermo. His parents and brothers still live there, but he is not apprehensive, as they are not in the affected district.

Pietro Berbiglia, who operates the Milano restaurant at 7 East Eighth street, has been in this country for ten years, and comes from Piggioreallia in Trapani province, not far from Palermo. He served in the Italian army and in 1898 was stationed at Catania, which is almost at the very foot of Mount Aetna, and which with Messina and Reggio suffered perhaps more heavily thatn any of the other cities.

"Catania is a beautiful place," he said last night, "and carries on a large shipping trade with Malta and other points on the Mediterranean. It has about 150,000 inhabitants and the Universita di Catania, with many students, is located there. It has a long and beautiful street which I think is more magnificent than anything even in Rome, called the Corso Garibaldi, running for about four miles along the seashore from Catania proper to Porto Garibaldi. There is also a large garden or park called the Villa Stema d'Italia, that is one of the prettiest in Italy."

Labels: , , , , , , ,

September 1, 1908


Wyandotte Lodge No. 35 Was Organ-
ized by Faithful Few When Kan-
sas City Was a Village.

On September 1, 1848, when this city was better known as Westport Landing, a number of members of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows gathered in a small room over Shannon's grocery store at Second and Main streets and organized Wyandotte lodge No. 35. Last night nearly 200 members and friends of this same lodge gathered in the large hall at Missouri avenue and Main street to celebrate the sixtieth anniversary.

Judge E. E. Porterfield, who claims to be too young to have been a charter member of the lodge, presided, and made a short address. Judge Porterfield told of the early days when with but a few members the lodge started on its way. He read a few of the names of the early members and among those names mentioned are men who have helped to make Kansas City what it is today.

Among the early members were such men as L. P. Browne, Joseph S. Chick, W. H. Chick, Rev. John T. Peery, Daniel Dofflemeyer, John C. McCoy, Dr. I. M. Ridge, Nehemiah Holmes and James A. Gregory. In 1850 the records of the lodge were destroyed in a fire which burned the grocery store over which the lodge was located, and it is impossible to get the names of all the charter members.

Phillip Bentz, who joined the lodge in 1850 when it was but two years old, was present and gave a short talk on the early history. Mr. Bentz is the oldest living member of the lodge. An address was also made by M. S. Dowden, past grand master, and music was furnished by J. Bales, L. Bales, and Miss Maggie Martin. Misses Elsie Hite and Ruth Markward gave recitations. Refreshments were served at the conclusion of the programme.

Labels: , , , , , ,

July 28, 1908



Park Board Accepts the Council's
Recommendation for North End
Playground Sites -- Blacks and
Whites in Seperate Parks.

Booker T. or George -- that is the question. Yesterday afternoon the board of park commissioners reached an almost final conclusion in the matter of North End playgrounds, accepting the council's recommendation that two plots instead of one be set aside, one for the whites and the other for the negroes. One plot chosen is that bounded by Holmes, Cherry, Missouri avenue and Fifth street, and the other is in Belvedere hollow for the most part, and bounded by Troost, Forest, Pacific and Belevedere streets. No estimate of the cost of the two blocks was furnished and the commissioners thought that $100,000 might defray the cost.

"We will have to get a name for them to put in the ordinance," suggested one of the board clerks.

"Certainly, certainly," granted President Franklin Hudson, looking southeast to where Commissioner George T. Hall was sitting.

"To be sure we will have to name them," the commissioner said, proud to rise to the occasion. "'Black' and 'White' would do fine."

President Hudson dropped a bundle of papers he had in his hands and Commissioners George M. Fuller and A. J. Dean hopped as though they were on hot bricks.

"That would never do," came from the chair. "Never do to get names like that," bespake Commissioner Fuller, while Commissioner Dean was wagging his head to beat the band, set in his ways though he almost always is. Flocking by himself was Commissioner Fred Doggett.

"I have a name," said this member, whereupon at once he was given the center of the stage.

" 'Lincoln' and 'Washington' would be appropriate, I think," he went on.

"Had it on my tongue to suggest those self-same two men myself," declared President Hudson, while Commissioners Fuller and Dean, from across the table, glared like frizzling martyrs at Commissioner Hall, who had 'riz the row.

" 'Lincoln' and 'Washington' make it," proposed one member of the board and all the other members, including Commissioner Hall, seconded the motion.

Then there was a lull and a newspaper man naturally asked which was which.

"Mercy, man," replied President Hudson, horror stricken, "we dassent decide that. All we have to do is to furnish playgrounds for the whites and for the negroes. We dassent say which shall be which."

"But you named them," was the protest. "Are the names indices?"

"The park in Belvedere hollow is to be known as 'Washington,' " was vouchsafed, which was a surprise. Negro institutions are generally known as Lincoln, and it had been taken for granted that the custom would be adhered to in the instance of naming the only Jim Crow park Kansas City has contemplated so far.

"Belvedere hollow park will be 'Washington,' " the president insisted.

Trying to see a connection, the president was asked by a colleague if the park was to be named for Booker T. or George Washington.

"Don't let that, get out at the start," was the caution, and the laughter of the austere president of the park board was so uproarious that Commissioner Dean remarked that "that must be a devil of a funny thing Hudson has just got off."

So, after three years of maneuvering and the consideration of seven sites, the North End playground scheme has got as far as the enabling ordinance in the council. Owing to the mixed colors in the north end of the city, it was feared that there would be conflicts in a single playground, minors being unlikely to keep their heads in moments of intensity. The dual plan was proposed, and yesterday was adopted by the park board.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

June 8, 1908


Police Make Discovery After Guard-
ing Supply for a Year.

"This tobacco was found at Missouri avenue and Walnut street night of August 9, 1907, by Fred Myers, 816 Bank street. BAILEY, Desk.

The foregoing was written on a tag which has now for nearly a year been tied to a dozen sacks of smoking tobacco in the possession of Captain Frank F. Snow, property clerk at police headquarters. That is, everybody thought the sacks contained smoking tobacco.

A man at the station had no smoking tobacco. He wanted a pipe full so badly that he tried to borrow one from all hands about the place. All were just out.

"There is to be an 'old hoss' sole of uncalled for and confiscated property pretty soon," an officer suggested. "See Captain Snow and he may fix you out with tobacco."

"Sure," said the good-natured captain. "Here is a lot that I have had for nearly a year. It was found on the street and has never been called for. Take a sack."

The citizen was grateful, and filled his pipe Those who were watching him noted the peculiar color of the tobacco. It was almost pure white. But the citizen did not notice it. He was talking as he stuffed the"weed" into the pipe. Then a burning match was applied to the well-filled pipe. As the citizen "tasted" his tongue and looked curiously at his pipe the fumes of burning wood filled the little room where he sat. Then he reopened his gift sack of tobacco.

"Sawdust, by heck," he exclaimed as all laughed at what they thought of the good joke Captain Snow had played on his friend. The man hurried in to tell the captain that he "bit" all right and that it was a "peach of a joke."

Captain Snow became interested. "Sawdust?" he said. "You are leaking language through your Merry Widow. I'll just show you that you are off."

When the captain examined the sack and was convinced that it was pure, unadulterated sawdust he brought out the other eleven sacks. One by one they were found to contain nothing but sawdust.

"Well, I'll be dinged; say, what do you think of that? Here I have been guarding that alleged tobacco for nearly a year waiting for an owner to put in appearance."

Some eagle-eyed individual then discovered that not a sack had a government stamp on it. Further inspection and this was found plainly printed on the back of each sack: "This package contains sawdust. To be used in window display."

Labels: , , , ,

May 15, 1908


Mayor Recommends Purchase of
North End Playground.

Communications were sent to the lower house of the council last night by Mayor Crittenden, urging that prompt action be taken to provide a playground in the North End. Accompanying the mayor' note was an ordinance, countersigned by Alderman Lapp, providing for the condemnation of a square of ground bounded by Troost, Forest, Missouri and Pacific for the playground. If this property is finally accepted, it will be known as "Guinotte square," in honor of the mother of Judge Guinotte, who, for years, was a good Samaritan among the lowly of the North End of the city.

Alderman Lapp said that he would move for a suspension of the rules and the passage of the ordinance immediately were it not for the fact that a majority of the aldermen were new aldermen were not familiar with the locality chosen for the playground or the many fruitless efforts made in the past to secure a breathing spot for North End residents.

Speaker Hayes sent in to the committee on streets, alleys and grades.

Labels: , , , , ,

May 14, 1908


Because She Played in Street, Having
No Other Place to Play.

The great necessity for a playground in the North end was shown by an incident which took place at police headquarters last night. A mother, greatly incensed and trembling with anger, appeared at the station pushing before her a little girl of 11 years. She was crying bitterly and protesting.

"I have told you I would do it and I am going to keep my word," said the mother. Then to Sergeant Patrick Clark she said: "I want this girl locked up. She will play on the streets when I have told her not to."

"I haven't got any place else to play," said the little girl, between sobs.

"Where do you live?" asked the sergeant kindly, as he placed his arm about the child's back.

"At Missouri avenue and Main," she said, calming a little.

"How long have you lived there?" she was asked.

"All my life," she replied.

"Where else can the child play but on the street?" Clark asked the mother. "You take her home now and both of you enter into a bargain. You give this little girl so much time every day to play. All children have got to play or else they are not children. And you, little one, when your mother gives you a certain hour in which to play, will you come in when the time is up? There, I knew you would. Now both of you go home.

Mother and daughter left the station arm in arm.

Labels: , , , ,

May 10, 1908


Rufus Ramey Was Defending His
Wife From Insult.

Mr. and Mrs. Rufus Ramey of 345 Minnesota avenue, Kansas City, Kas., accompanied by another man and his wife, were returning from a call at Missouri avenue and Holmes street last night at 12:15 o'clock when two men stopped the two women, who were walking behind their husbands. One of the two men insulted Mrs. Ramey and Mr. Ramey started to resent the insult. The assailant drew a knife and slashed Ramey across the left cheek from the cheek bone down through the upper lip. Ramey walked to the emergency hospital, where Dr. Ford B. Rogers dressed the wound. The assailant escaped.

Labels: , , , , ,

March 6, 1908


Edward Williams, Being Feathers,
Tried to Take His Own Life.

"Let me die, Doc. I want to die. I'm chicken today and feathers tomorrow. Nothing more to live for, let me die."

With a gash in his throat, four inches long, Edward Williams, a transfer man, living at 214 East Missouri avenue, lay on the operating table at the emergency hospital yesterday and begged the surgeon not to sew up the wound. Williams says that he recently discovered that his wife no longer loved him. After this discovery he decided to kill himself. He went to his room yesterday with suicidal intentions. He had just drawn a knife across his throat, inflicting the would when a friend discovered him and knocked the knife out of his hand. Williams is 28 years old.

Labels: , , ,

February 11, 1908



Police Board's Employe at No. 2 Sta-
tion Discharges Revolver, After
Hitting a Citizen on the
Head With It.

While Stephen Dehoney, jailer at No. 2 police station, was resisting arrest by a brother officer at Fifth and Walnut streets last night, Dehoney's revolver, which he held in his hand, was discharged and the bullet came near hitting someone in a crowd which had gathered. Whether Dehoney, who had been drinking, was attempting to shoot Patrolman Charles D. Fuller, who was trying to arrest him, or whether the revolver was discharged by accident is not certainly known. The bullet shattered the plateglass window of the Dougherty & Lorber Commission Company, of 514 Walnut street. Fuller took Dehoney to police headquarters, where he was locked up "for safe-keeping."

Fuller, in his report, said that while he was on duty at the Gilliss theater, a citizen came running in and told of an officer with a gun attacking him on the street. The citizen was bleeding from a wound back of his right ear and claimed that the officer had hit him with the gun. Fuller said that Dehoney had the revolver in his hand when a moment later, he accompanied the complainant outside and accosted Dehoney.

A few minutes after Dehoney was locked up Miss Jessie Wilson, an actress with the Irwin company, scheduled next week at the Majestic, who came to the station to tell of an assault by an officer, identified Dehoney as the offender.

"I was leaving the Wellington hotel about 7:30 o'clock, on my way to the Ashland," Miss Wilson told Police Lieutenant James Norris, "when I had to go pass a man scuffling with a negro. The man grabbed me roughly and said, 'Here, you're under arrest, too.' I was frightened, for he had been drinking. He showed me his star and I walked along quietly for a bit, but at Missouri avenue I jerked away from him suddenly and ran all the way to the Ashland hotel."

Lieutenant Morris said last night that he would put no charge other than "safe keeping" against Dehoney, but would keep him until he had orders from Chief Ahern to turn him loose. The matter will eventually come before the police board, it is presumed.

On one occasion Dehoney had trouble in a rooming house. Two years ago a couple of negroes ran to the station late at night and said that a man had fired two shots between them because they would not give him all the sidewalk. The police heard the shots at Fourth and Walnut and ran out. The negroes described the man who fired at them and soon pointed Dehoney out in Granfield's saloon where they said he ran after the shooting. No attempt was made to even detain him and the negroes fled. Not until a citizen complained to the police that they had not even searched Dehoney for a revolver was he held. Then the negro witnesses were gone and Dehoney was soon released.

One time after that Dehoney was taken to police headquarters. He was with two deputy sheriffs, walking out on Independence avenue. Two shots were fired. The police took all three to the station, but they were released.

Dehoney was appointed to his present position by the police board two months ago. He is said to be a personal friend of one of the commissioners.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

January 28, 1908


Miguel Condino, 5 Years Old, Killed
While at Play in the Street.

Miguel Condino, 5 years old, was killed in Missouri avenue near Gillis street yesterday afternoon by being run down by a candy wagon. He was knocked down by the horses, the front wheels passed over his neck and the rear wheels had to be lifted from his crushed skull. The boy, a son of Dominick Condino, a laborer, lived at 725 Missouri avenue.

The wagon which crushed the child belonged to the Brown-Gibbons Candy Company, jobbers, 547 Walnut street, and was driven by W. H. Brown, senior member of the firm. Brown, who lives at 305 Walrond avenue, wept bitterly after the accident. After the boy had been taken into his home nearby Brown drove immediately to police headquarters and surrendered. He was released on his own recognizance.

"I was driving west on Missouri avenue at an ordinary gait," Brown said in his statement to police. "As I cleared an alley between Gillis and Harrison streets, four or five small boys scampered out to the south right in front of my team. I was not driving fast. I never drive fast through that district, as there are always children in the streets. I called, 'Look out there,' to the boys and one of them -- the little fellow who was killed -- turned and ran directly into my near horse. He was knocked down. To show that I was not driving very fast, I stopped my team by the time the rear wheels caught the boy. I have a little child of my own and the accident was a great shock to me. I did all I could to prevent it."

An inquest will probably be held.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

January 8, 1907


Dr. Murray Made a Profitable Round
of Food Shops Yesterday.

Dr. Benjamin P. Murray, an assistant food inspector in the office of Dr. W. P. Cutler, was out on the scout yesterday for bad meat, bad game -- in fact, anything bad that came within the provisions of the food laws. And he had his trusty coal oil can with him, a dead shot when nit comes to placing suspicious food stuffs out of commission.

At an East Missouri avenue meat market the doctor found twenty-three and one-half pounds of mutton and ninety pounds of spareribs, all bad. He "shot" both with a stream of coal oil.

In a Fourth street commission house Dr. Murray came upon twenty-four rabbits which he found necessary to oil A short block brought him to the city market where he oiled twenty-eight large, long-eared jack rabbits. Later he found a sixty-pound pig in a wholesale meat market on Fourth street. The doctor had just taken aim with his coal oil can, when he was importuned to let piggie go unharmed to the soap factory. He uncocked his oil can and consented. But he remained there long enough to see the little porker off to the factory.

H. F. Guyette, inspector of bakeries, hotels, and restaurants under Dr. Cutler, reported that he had coal oiled ten pounds of hamburger steak which he found in a Main street restaurant.

"Our inspectors have to be doubly careful now," said Dr. Cutler, "o account of the warm weather, when, at this season of the year, it should be cold. Especially is that true as to rabbits shipped here.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

January 8, 1907


Some Say They're to Be Too Near
Railroad Yards.

Many property owners east of Main Street, north of Independence avenue and west of Highland are contemplating a petition to the board of park commissioners to protest against two sites said to have been chosen as playgrounds. A committee selected for the purpose reported Monday that it would recommend two sites, one bounded by Tracy and Lydia avenues, Second and Third streets, and another bounded by Gilliss, Campbell, Third and Fifth streets. The former is said to have been selected for a playground for negroes.

Many of the residents in the districts adjacent are complaining as they say both sites are too close to the railroad tracks. They claim that boys will be constantly tempted to "hop trains."

Property owners in the space bounded by and Forest avenues, Missouri avenue and Pacific street are the biggest objectors. A petition probably will be started in that neighborhood today.

"Twice this block has been selected by a committee," said a property owner in that block yesterday. "At least that was published and it gave rise to the report that our property was to be condemned for park or playground purposed. Many of us had sales consumated, even to the point of a deposit being made. No one would buy our property with the condemnation proceedings staring them in the face."

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

October 17, 1907


Licenses of Two Italian Saloonkeep-
ers are Revoked.

The police board yesterday revoked the saloon licenses of John Rebasto, 1822 Pacific street, and George Priesto, Missouri avenue and Gillis street. Representives of the Humane Society tated that they investigatied the report fo the board of education that a family was being neglected in the vicinity of these saloons, and found that the children in question were habitually buying "can" beer at the two saloons.

A half dozen children, ranging in ages from 10 to 13 years, testified to buying the beer and each saloonist admitted the same, but protested that the statutes give the right to sell to a minor when the beer is ordered by a parent, guradian or master. The old statute did give a saloonkeeper this right, but the privelege was revoked two years ago. Pleading ignorance of the new statute, the two saloonkeepers will file a motion asking the board to reconsider the case.

Labels: , , , , , ,

September 11, 1907



Police Have Been Helpless in Tracing
Him -- Mother Now Learns of
a Horse Trade Cir-
Roy Hendren, Missing 12-Year-Old

After waiting since November 16, 1906, for the Kansas City, Mo., authorities to locate the whereabouts of her 12-year-old son, Roy K. Hendren, who disappeared from his home, Fifth street and Missouri avenue, under peculiar circumstances, Mrs. Anna Hendren, a widow, who now lives in a flat at 551 State avenue, Kansas City, Kas., recommenced the search yesterday. She said last night that she had received information from some of her former neighbors to the effect that a horse trade was seen camping at the place where the boy was last seen.

Mrs. Hendren believes the horse trader had something to do with the disappearance of Roy. She has made another appeal to Chief of Police Ahern, and says she can not rest until something has been learned.

"He was such a bright boy," she said last night. "I can not believe he ran away from home, for he loved his mother and the other two boys too well for that. Besides he knew we needed the money he could earn. Do you suppose he would run away, when he knew we were as hard up as we were?

"As near as I remember, the last words of Roy were: "Mother, don't go very far away until I get back. I'm going to find work." It was almost noon, and he took a course that led him to the place I have just learned the horse trader was camping."

"What did a horse trader want of a boy, 12 years old?"

"How should I know? Perhaps he just wanted a companion. All I can say is that it is the most plausible theory that the horse trader took Roy, for the police looked everywhere for him at the time, and did not find a single trace.

"I have often thought," continued Mrs. Hendren, "of putting the case in the hands of the Kansas City, Kas., police, too. My friends, however, said it would be an unreasonable thing to do, but oh, my heart is breaking at the separation, and I want to do something more than I have done to find him."

Mrs. Hendren is living on the basement floor of the flat on Nebraska avenue. She is very worn and nervous from the loss she has sustained, and is otherwise in delicate health. She has two other sons besides Roy, one of whom, Rex, 16 years old, supports the family as pressman in a printing office, Sixth street and Minnesota avenue. The younger son goes to school.

Mrs. Hendren says she is parted from her husband and came to Kansas City, Mo., from Gentry county, Missouri. She says she had been in town only one night when Roy was taken.

Labels: , , , , , , ,


Get the Book
Vintage Kansas City Stories ~ Early 20th Century Americana as Immortalized in The Kansas City Journal
Kansas City Stories

Early Kansas City, Missouri

The Son of Jesse James is Accused of a Train Robbery at Leeds ... Can he get a fair trial in Kansas City?
The Trial of Jesse James, Jr.

>>More KC Books<<

As an Amazon Associate this site may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

The History and Heritage of Vintage Kansas City in Books
Vintage Kansas
City Bookstore

Powered by Blogger

Vintage Kansas

Vintage Antique Classics ~ Vintage Music, Software, and more Time Travel Accessories

In association with
KC Web ~ The Ultimate Kansas City Internet Directory