Find Kansas City Antiques and Collectibles at the Vintage Kansas City Marketplace ~ Own a Piece of Old KC

Vintage Kansas



Old News
Headlines and Articles from The Kansas City Journal

Business Office...4000 Main
City Editor.....4001 Main
Society Editor....4002 Main

Two cents. Subscription Rates:  By carrier, per week, 10 cents; per month, 45 cents.  By mail, daily and Sunday, one month, 40 cents; three months, $1.00; six months, $2.00; one year, $4.00.  Sunday only, six months, 75 cents; one year, $1.50.  Weekly Journal, 25 cents one year.

Like Vintage Kansas City on Facebook

As We See 'Em ~ Caricatures of Prominent Kansas Cityans

The Isis Theatre ~ Kansas City, Missouri

The History of Fairmount Park

Claims of Cancer Cured by Dr. Bye in Vintage KC Missouri

Special Cut Prices ~ Always the Same

Blogging Fusion Blog Directory

August 1, 1909


Rushed Into Flmaes and Turned Off
a Gas Burner.

The presence of mind of R. J. Holmden's 4-year-old son saved the family home at 2437 Lister avenue from destruction by fire Monday afternoon. Mrs. Holmden and the children were in the back yard while dinner was cooking on a gasoline stove in the kitchen. The wind blew out one of the burners and the gas from it, igniting, flared high to the ceiling.

Mrs. Holmden rushed to call neighbors, who summoned the fire department. The little boy, however, unobserved by his mother, ran into the kitchen and turned off the burner.

"The fire's out," he told his mother when the fire department arrived, and he showed his blistered hands as evidence.

The firemen investigated, to find the child's story true. The flames had not been able to reach anything inflammable in the building before the child shut off the dangerous flow of gas.

Labels: , ,

June 25, 1909



Pistol in Hands of Younger Com-
paion, Whom He Told It Con-
tained No Cartridges, Just
Before Discharge.

William Clark, 18 years old of 2610 Lister avenue, was accidentally shot through the right eye by a playmate, and almost instantly killed, in the dooryard of Mrs. J. A. Avery at 2617 Lawn avenue at 8 o'clock last night.

"I did not know it was loaded," said Clem Burns, 14 years old, to his mother, Mrs. D. R. Webb, a moment later, as he threw the smoking revolver from him and burst into tears.

Clem lives with his mother and stepfather at 2625 Lawn, right next door to where the shooting occurred.

According to young Burns, the two boys, who were the best of friends, were sent by his mother to the grocery store of the Worries Bros. at Twenty-fourth street and Elmwood avenue for a box of matches. Before leaving the house Clark drew aside his coat and showed his companion that he had a cheap 38-caliber revolver in each hip pocket.

"He told me one of them was empty but that the other had one load in it," Clem told the police last night. "I asked him why he had the guns and he said he had been trying to kill a cat which had been killing chickens belonging to Mrs. Avery.

"As he turned to lead the way to the grocery I reached under his coat tails and got a revolver.


" 'Oh, now I've got your revolver and I am as big a man as you are,' I said, but he laughed at me and replied:

" 'You're not so big as you think you are; that gun isn't loaded.'

"I began snapping the revolver at him at that. He didn't wince and I snapped three times. Suddenly there was an explosion from the weapon.

"William sank down on the lawn. I knew at once what I had done and called to my mother:

" 'Oh, mother,' I cried, 'I've killed Willie.' Then I threw away the gun. I don't know why I did this, but I wanted to get the nasty thing away and out of my hands as quick as I could."

The boy's cries and protestations of innocence of any intent to commit murder as he was taken to No. 6 police station after the accident brought tears of sympathy to the eyes of neighbors, many of whom had known both boys for several years.

Ray Hodgson of 2608 Lawn, who was the only person besides Clem who saw the shooting, says he saw the two boys playing about Mrs. Avery's yard.

"They were always good boys, but full of pranks," said Mr. Hodgson. "However, Clark had a mania for carrying guns. He was seldom seen without one or more. Ususally the weapons were the kind which policemen call 'pot metal.' "

The story of the shooting told by Mr. Hodgson agrees in every particular with that given by the boy himself.

Young Clark was an orphan and lived at the house on Lister avenue with G. M. and J. P. Farnswowrth, brothers, for four years past. As the Farnsworths are unmarried and have work to do in the daytime, and Clark was out of a job, he was allowed to keep up the home in the way of a general housekeeper.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

October 20, 1908


At Least They Are in the Progressive
Thirteenth Ward.

Lister avenue, the thoroughfare that helped much to make the Thirteenth ward famous, has taken unto itself new laurels, or to be precise, new strawberries, for a second crop of that fruit has sprung up in the garden of Louis D. Tolle, a lawyer who lives at No. 1615. His doubting friends are restored to faith by a vine bearing several ripe strawberries which Mr. Tolle is now exhibiting in a glass of water at his office in the New York Life building.

It was in Lister avenue a year or two ago that indignant citizens chopped down overnight telephone poles which they didn't want in front of their residences, and now a very lively local option fight is on in the ward.

"You needn't be surprised at anything that happens in the Thirteenth," Mr. Tolle said last night with a pride that even the humming of the telephone wire couldn't drown. None of P. Connor's frost has yet bitten his strawberry vines and they have no protection, he added.

Of course, the second growth is not prolific, but the little 2-year-old daughter of the Tolle household isn't sorry that she took up her residence in Lister avenue, for she gets the benefit of all the ripe ones.

Labels: , , , ,

July 8, 1908


Dr. Robinson Says John Kollenborn
Shot at Him in Street.

A warrant charging assault with intent to kill was issued yesterday by Justice J. B. Shoemaker for John Kollenborn, 1614 Lister street, who is charged by Dr. J. H. Robinson, 4816 East Fifteenth street, with firing three shots at him from a pistol Monday night about 10 o'clock near the corner of Sixteenth and Lister streets. Kollenborn was not arrested. An attorney said he will be produced when needed. His preliminary hearing will probably be called before Justice Shoemaker this week.

According to the physician, he received a call about 10 o'clock Monday night to go to 1608 Lister and see a family named Simpson, but on arrival at the number found the house vacant. He was told that a family named Simpson lived several doors below and went there, but found he had not been summoned. He states that he was returning to his drug store when he passed Kollenborn on the street and after the man had gone about four feet beyond him, he turned and fired. The physician ran after the first shot and was not harmed.

Before Assistant Prosecuting Attorney William Buchholtz yesterday, Dr. Robinson stated that he knew of no reason why the alleged assault should have been made other than that several months ago he had been informed that Kollenborn accused him of being too friendly with Mrs. Kollenborn. This charge, he states, is groundless.

Kollenborn works as a switchman in the Rock Island yards at Armourdale, is 32 years old and has a wife and four children. Dr. Robinson is also married and has one child. Kollenborn did not return to his home Monday night after the shooting. He employed an attorney yesterday.

Labels: , , , , , ,

January 20, 1908


Frank Warren, After Being Bitten,
Quited Beast With a Brick.
The neighborhood of bright new cottages and freshly cut streets surrounding the corner of Twenty-second street and Lister avenue was all agog for two hours last night because of an encounter between a watchdog and a carpenter.

Frank Warren, the carpenter, was walking south and nearing Twenty-second street on the new Lister avenue cement walk, when the dog leaped out at him and seized both coat tails in his mouth. Warren shook the beast loose only to find him around in front, snapping at his hands. The dog finally made a leap for Warren's throat and the latter seized him by the neck and tried to strangle him. A hand to tooth encounter ensued, which drew heads to every window in the block. It was only after Warren's hands had been scratched and torn, that he choked the venom out of the dog.

Then Warren carried the animal into a lot where a house was being buit and threw teh animal on the freshly turned clay and hammered his head with a new brick with sharp corners. He left the dog for dead and walked across Twenty-second street to the Luce-Weed drug store. The pharmacist boud up his bleeding hands, called a physician and sent Warren to his room at the corner of Fifteenth street and Lawn avenue in a carriage.

A mounted policeman from No. 6 station arrived shortly and, after looking the dog over, decided not to shoot it.

"He has had puunishment enough," said the policeman.

Two hours later, at 11:00, someone telephoned in from the corner that the dog had revived and crawled to a cottage, where he is alleged to regularly reside.

Labels: , , , , , ,

August 2, 1907


Book Agent Ate One, Taking It
for a Mushroom.

W. S. Bundy is a book agent. He is 37 years old and lives at Lister and Linwood avenues. He has a "neat little patch of ground," to use his own words. Bundy stepped into his back yard and saw what looked like a patch of "pretty, round, fresh mushrooms."

"I believe they are toadstools," said his wife.

"Well, I'll just taste one," said Bundy. "If they are toadstools I'll find it out. If they are not, you can cook them for supper."

Thereupon Bundy made his word good by "tasting" one. That was 9 a. m. The pursuit of his business found him on the third floor of the R. A. Long building about noon. Not until then did Bundy realize that he had eaten a toadstool. He was so completely prostrated that the ambulance from the emergency hospital called and took him away. When he reached the hospital he was unconscious. Dr. Paul Lux worked with him all afternoon. At 5 o'clock he was considered out of danger.

"Telephone my wife not to cook those toadstools," were his first words.

Labels: , , , , , ,

May 12, 1907


Conductor Patterson Knocked From
Car, Rescued by Man in a Boat.

W. B. Patterson, a conductor on the Kansas City & Independence line, last night at 7:15, as his car, westbound, was approaching the Blue bridge, leaned far out to adjust the tail light, which was glowing dimly. His head struck a truss and he was hurled from the car into the water, fortunately striking no other part of the bridge. He was assisted to shore by a man in a boat. W. P. Donahue, the motorman, had noticed that something was wrong and stopped the car. Patterson was taken to the division car barn at Ninth and Lister and later sent to Monroe and Garner, his home. A scalp would two inches long is the only mark he bears of the accident. But he was badly chilled while waiting at the barn for dry clothing.

Labels: , , , ,

May 2, 1907




This Turns Out to Have Been Carbolic Acid -- Coroner Says Too
Much Was Taken to Substantiate Theory of Accident --
A Note Missing.

Many mysterious things have developed since the body of Mrs. Mary S. Galbraith was found in her home, 1610 Lister avenue, Tuesday night by her 3-year-old baby Mercedes. It seems now, from what her oldest child, Gladis, 5 years old, says, that Mrs. Galbraith made careful preparations for death. She left a note for her brother-in-law, Clay Galbraith, which cannot be found. From the child's story, lisped in broken sentences yesterday to the neighbors, it is inferred that Mrs. Galbraith may have tried to take Gladis with her.

Little Gladis said that shortly after the postman left the home Tuesday afternoon, which would have been about 3 o'clock, her mamma was reading a letter. The child said she read it over and over and cried bitterly while she was doing so. Then she called Mercedes, the baby, to her and, giving her a penny, sent her to the grocery at Seventeenth and Lister to buy candy. The grocer said she got it and went out to play.

Gladis said then that her mother wrote a letter to "Uncle Clay." After that, still weeping, she went to the bath room and took Gladis with her. The child says that her "mamma opened a bottle of medicine and wanted me to take some. I didn't like it and wouldn't take it," she added. "Then she gave me the letter to give to Uncle Clay and told me to run on out and play. She took a big dose of the medicine and went in her room and fell on the bed."

Little Gladis went out to play with her sister, Mercedes, and several other children. In her play she said one of the boys took the note to "Uncle Clay." The whole neighborhood was searched yesterday, but no trace of the note, which could explain everything, could be found.

It was after dark when Mrs. Charles Parsons found the little sisters playing out in the cold and took them to their kitchen door and placed them inside. They ran upstairs just as the front door opened and Clay Gallbraith, the dead woman's brother-in-law, arrived from his work at the Y. M. C. A. headquarters. He heard little Mercedes upstairs in her mother's room crying, "Wake up, mamma. I tan't wake my mamma. She won't talk to Mercedes any more." When Mr. Galbraith passed the door he saw the baby on the bed with the dead mother, patting her face and hugging her pulseless body. He called a doctor and the coroner was summoned.

The bottle of "medicine" of which Gladis spoke was found in the lavatory in the bath room. It was carbolic acid. Dr. O. H. Parker, deputy coroner, held an autopsy at Forster & Smith's morgue yesterday, and reported that carbolic acid had been taken in too large a dose for it to have been a mistake or an accident.

"Do you reckon she wanted to take Gladis with her?" many of the neighbors were asking yesterday. "Why did she send Mercedes away?" The little daughter said that her mother burned the letter she had been reading which "made mama cry." There was no trace of it to be found yesterday.

J. A. Galbraith, husband of the dead woman, was reached by wire at Dallas, Tex., and is expected home at 8 o'clock this morning. The arrangements for the funeral will be made after his arrival. The coroner said there was no need of an inquest, as he was satisfied as to the cause of death.

Labels: , , , , ,

May 1, 1907




Traces of Carbolic Acid Indicate Poison as Cause of
Death -- Whether an Accident Is Yet to Be De-
termined -- Brother Is Attracted
by Child's Cry.

"Mamma! Mamma! Wake up, mamma, please wake up an' talk to Mercedes!"

When Clay Galbraith, a clerk at the Y. M. C. A. general offices, entered his home at 1610 Lister avenue at 7:30 o'clock last night, he heard his little 3-year-old niece, Mercedes Galbraith, calling to her mamma in a room on the second floor. Mr. Galbraith started to his room and as he passed the door he saw the child on the bed with its mamma.

"My mamma won't wake any more an' talk to me, Uncle Clay," the little one said. "You wake her."

Mr. Galbraith stepped into the room, thinking his sister-in-law asleep, but noting the deathly pallor on her face he ran to the home of Mrs. Willis Dunkerson and told her of his suspicions. Dr. A. R. Greenlee was called, but Mrs. Galbraith had been dead possibly five or six hours, he said.

Dr. Greenlee summoned Dr. O. H. Parker, deputy coroner. He found Mrs. Galbraith lying partly clad across her bed. Her shoes and stockings had been removed as if to prepare for a bath and all the soiled leinen in the house was in a laundry bag by the kitchen door. The neighbors told of a sick spell which Mrs. Galbraith had suffered in December last and suggested natural causes for her sudden death. In the lavatory in the bath room, however, Dr. Parker found a bottle labeled carbolic acid. The cork had been removed with a hair pin. The bottle was empty. Dr. Parker also said that the dead woman's lips showed traces of carbolic acid.

Mrs. Mary S. Galbraith was 34 years old. She was the wife of J. A. Galbraith, a traveling man for the National Surety Company. Her huysband left home last friday and is now somewhere in Texas. Wires were sent last night to try to locate him. There are two children, Gladys, 5, and Mercedes, 3 years old.

The neighbors said that the little ones were out at play all afternoon and some suggested that perhaps their mother had put them out. About 7:30 Mrs. Charles Parsons, a neighbor, saw them out in the cold and took them to a rear door and had just placed them inside when she heard the front door open. When she asked, "Who is that?" thinking it might be their mother, the little one replied, "It's Uncle Clay." She then ran on through the house and up to her mamma's room. Mr. Galbraith spent a mooment below before he heard Mercedes crying that she3 could not awaken her mother. The children were taken in charge by neighbors last night and have not yet been informed of their mother's death. An autopsy will be held today to determine the exact cause of death, but Dr. Parker said that from all external appearances and evidences found in the house he was of the opinion that Mrs. Galbraith's death had been due to carbolic acid poisoning.

"I will not be able to state until after the autopsy," he said, "whether death was an accident or suicidal."

Labels: , , , , , ,


Get the Book
Vintage Kansas City Stories ~ Early 20th Century Americana as Immortalized in The Kansas City Journal
Kansas City Stories

Early Kansas City, Missouri

>>More KC Books<<

The History and Heritage of Vintage Kansas City in Books
Vintage Kansas
City Bookstore

Powered by Blogger

Vintage Kansas

Vintage Antique Classics ~ Vintage Music, Software, and more Time Travel Accessories

In association with
KC Web ~ The Ultimate Kansas City Internet Directory