Find Kansas City Antiques and Collectibles at the Vintage Kansas City Marketplace ~ Own a Piece of Old KC

Vintage Kansas



Old News
Headlines and Articles from The Kansas City Journal

Business Office...4000 Main
City Editor.....4001 Main
Society Editor....4002 Main

Two cents. Subscription Rates:  By carrier, per week, 10 cents; per month, 45 cents.  By mail, daily and Sunday, one month, 40 cents; three months, $1.00; six months, $2.00; one year, $4.00.  Sunday only, six months, 75 cents; one year, $1.50.  Weekly Journal, 25 cents one year.

Like Vintage Kansas City on Facebook

As We See 'Em ~ Caricatures of Prominent Kansas Cityans

The Isis Theatre ~ Kansas City, Missouri

The History of Fairmount Park

Claims of Cancer Cured by Dr. Bye in Vintage KC Missouri

Special Cut Prices ~ Always the Same

Blogging Fusion Blog Directory

December 27, 1909


Justice Cannot Resist Temptation
as Miss Wade Starts Voyage.

It is said about the recorder's office at the county court house yesterday that there would be few marriage licenses issued, Christmas being over, and that the next rush would come on New Year's. Seventeen pairs took the step yesterday and most of them applied late in the afternoon.

When Charles A. Class, 24 years old, of Leeton, Mo., arrived with his fiancee, Miss Susie Wade, 21 years old of Pleasant Hill, Mo., the office was getting ready to close for the day. It's never too late there however, so a marriage license was issued.

Mr. Class and Miss Wade came with their duly appointed "seconds." Justice Festus O. Miller had to be sent for. When about to start the pair's life voyage he paused for a moment. He could not resist the temptation. "Miss Wade," he said solemnly, "you are about to wed a boy of some 'Class.' "

Labels: , , ,

April 9, 1909


Those Caught in Round-Up in Cap-
tain Flahive's District Fined
From $15 to $100.

In the municipal court yesterday morning, the twenty-five well-dressed vagrants who had been arrested in Captain Flahive's district the night previously, did not fare very well at the hands of Justice Festus O. Miller, who was on the bench. Twenty were fined in sums ranging from $15 to $100, and the majority were sent to the workhouse in the absence of friends who were willing to pay their fines or sign appeal bonds.

The court room was crowded with spectators who had come to the city hall to get a glimpse of men who could live without working. Every one smiled when they were brought before the judge in bunches by Sergeant H. L. Goode and Patrolmen George Brooks and Michael Gleason. The officers have been in the district for many years and their evidence was conclusive in most of the cases. Five of the twenty-five appeared to be under age, but were fair "understudies" of their companions, and were released with an admonition not to be caught in No. 4 district again.

Thomas R. Marks, one of the new commissioners, drifted into the municipal court session. He sat in the front row behind several policemen who were in court to prosecute the well-dressed vagrants.

"I am just looking around," was Marks's explanation of his presence.

Labels: , , ,

September 25, 1908



She Became Acquainted With Her
Oriental Lover in Monnett, Mo.
Attended to Wedding De-
tails Herself.

Jung Ling, a pigtail Chinaman, aged 36 years, and Nettie Swiss, a not at all bad looking white girl, who gave her age as 23 years, were married by Justice of the Peace F. O. Miller at the court house at 1 o'clock yesterday afternoon. It is said to be the intention of the couple to make their home in St. Louis.

After the two, walking arm in arm, entered the recorder's office for the purpose of taking out the license, the girl acted as spokesman and made known the object of their visit. "We want to get a marriage license," she said.

The clerk at first was dubious as to their sincerity, but after asking the usual questions and receiving favorable replies, he realized that there was no alternative from granting the license. Before completing the document, however, the clerk, who seemed disinclined to issue the license, said: "If this man can't sign his name this paper cannot be issued."

"Well, he may not be able to write his name in full," said the bride-to-be, who seemingly had thoroughly rehearsed her part,"but he can make his mark just the same as any other person who can't write. Is there anything else?"

There evidently was not, as the license was forthcoming, and after having been turned over and the fee paid by the feminine end of the transaction, they asked that Justice Miller be summoned to perform the ceremony. The justice arrived within a brief period and a few minutes later the couple were man and wife.

Although a wedding in exclusive Chinese circles is an occasion accompanied by a great feast and several days of gayety, nothing of the kind had been prepared for Mr. and Mrs. Ling. The bridegroom's friends here are said to have objected bitterly to the course he was pursuing and refused him even a wedding dinner by the way of showing their displeasure.

When seen at the store of a friend, 127 West Sixth street, yesterday afternoon, the new Mrs. Ling sat on the side of a bunk with a genuine black trousered little Chinese lady. The two evidently had engaged in conversation pertaining to the wedding, but when the visitor made known the object of his call both became silent.

The proprietor of the store, Ling and several other Chinamen there at the time said they were insufficiantly acquainted with the English language to converse intelligently, and, therefore, asked to be excused. Mrs. Ling would say nothing.

Mr. and Mrs. Ling are said to have known each other for several years, both of them for some time lived at Monnett, Mo., and later at Joplin. Ling frequently has occasion to come here and this time he sent for his lady love. She arrived yesterday morning.

Labels: , , , , , ,

May 21, 1908


And the Judge Had to Revise Civil
Ceremony for This Laugh-
ing Bride.

"Do you, Minnie Louise Kendrick, take this man to be your lawfully wedded husband, to honor and obey, to cleave to in --"

Justice F. O. Miller's recitation of the ritual was interrupted by laughter from the girl in the white dress. There was something infectious in her laughter, it was so girlish and free. The judge fell to laughing and the mere man, Professor Joseph F. Bell, looked on in amazement. When the girl straightened her face finally , she said:

"No, of course, I won't obey him. How funny!" Then she laughed again.

"I think you ought to, after I came all the way from the Philippine islands for you," put in Professor Bell pleasantly.

Miss Kendrick didn't reply, except to keep right on laughing. And she won the point, too, for at last the professor surrendered.

"I guess I'll leave the obey part out," chuckled Judge Miller. And he did when he repeated the sentence.

Professor Bell is principal of the United States schools in Ilagan, P. I. He has been out th ere two years. His bride taught last year in the city schools at Brunswick, Mo. Professor Bell met her there fou r or five years ago, when she was a pupil under him in the high school.

After their marriage in the court house they left for Chicago. There is to be a trip over the Great lakes before they settle in Ilagan.

Labels: , ,

December 7, 1907


G. G. Mason Didn't Wish to Be Tried
Next Friday, the 13th.

When the case of G. G. Mason, a negro, was called yesterday morning in Justice Miller's court Mason's attorney asked Justice Miller to continue the case one week.

"No you don't," declared Mason, shaking his head. "A week from today is Friday and it's the 13th, too. Can't you make it some day where I could have an even chance?"

Justice Miller set the case for December 17.

Labels: , ,

October 25, 1907


Malcolm Kelley Was Attentive to An-
other Man's Wife.

Malcolm Kelley, the railroad laborer who was injured in a fight with Frank Harrison at 1736 1/2 Madison street last Friday night, died at the general city hospital Wednesday afternoon, presumably as a result of his wounds. The fight arose because Harrison thought that Kelley had been unduly attentive to Mrs. Harrison and started hostilities when he found the railroad man talking to the woman at her home. The injured man received a heavy blow from a machinist's hammer that fractured his skull and led to his death.

Harrison was given a preliminary examination before justice Miller yesterday morning on a charge of murder in the second degree. He pleaded self-defense and was admitted to bond for $5,000 on his own recognizance. He asserts that Kelly attempted to kill him with a razor.

Labels: , , ,

January 11, 1907




Maggie Paul Says Clothes She is Alleged to Have Stolen Were
Given to Her -- Mrs. Moran, Medium, Tells a Different Story.

Miss Maggie Paul, the 18-year old daughter of J. J. Paul, saloonkeeper at Eighteenth and Charlotte streets, was arraigned before Justice Miller yesterday charged by Mrs. D. J. Moran, a fortune teller at 815 East Fifteenth street, with taking $91.75 worth of wearing apparel. She pleaded not guilty and her bond was fixed at $500. She was held over night in the matron's room at police headquarters and expects to give bond today.

Miss Paul said she had lived at Mrs. Moran's and played the piano during what she terms a "spirit fortune telling stunt supposed to be presided over by a defunct Indian chief, one 'White Coon.' " She also says that, had she married John Moran, the 24-year-old son of the fortune teller, she would have had none of her present troubles.

"She has been trying for a long time to get me to marry her son," said Miss Paul last night. "I went to a dance Christmas eve at 910 Campbell street with Mrs. Moran's daughter. When I got to thinking of that marrying business it was all so repulsive to me that I ran away and went to the house of a friend at 1214 East Eight street.

"When I am around where that woman is she casts a kind of spell over me and I can't but obey her every wish. It took all my courage to make up my mind to run away from it all. I got tired of playing for a lot of fake fortune telling business anyway. Often I have seen a person with money come to the seance and heard one of the Morans say: 'Trim that sucker. Don't let him get away. Make arrangements for a private seance for he's got real money.' It was all so false and shammy to one who knew and I didn't want to marry John Moran anyway."

Mrs. J. J. Paul, Maggie's mother, and George Brown, to whose house she went when she ran away from the 'White Coon' seances, went to police headquarters last night to see her daughter.

"This is all a trumped up charge which cannot be proved," said the mother. "That woman has had a hypnotic spell over my daughter for two years. We used to live in Midland court on East Sixteenth street and Mrs. Moran lived just across the street. Maggie got to going there and right then the trouble began. Maggie was made to believe that I was killing her with slow poison and she was afraid of me. Didn't I go to Mrs. Moran's house where she had Maggie locked up in the cellar and make her give her up?

"The girl fears that woman right now. You can see it. All this has been done because she ran away when engaged to John Moran. And I don't blame her for that or leaving those Indian 'White Coon' seances, either."

Miss Paul said that a sealskin cloak, valued at $50, which she is charged with taking, was stolen from the cloak room at the dance hall at 910 Campbell three weeks ago when Miss Moran was along. A skirt, valued in the complaint at $17, she was wearing yesterday. She said it cost $3.50 and was given to her by Mrs. Moran and would fit no one else in the family. In fact, she claims that all the missing clothing but the cloak was either given her previous to or at Christmas.

Miss Paul was arrested by Detective William Bates yesterday afternoon at the home of a friend at Eight street and Forest avenue. She said she had left the Brown home because she heard Mrs. Moran had found out where she was, and she was afraid she would "look at me that way again, and then I would have to go back and do anything asked -- perhaps marry John."

The girl who is afraid of the woman who gives seances controlled by the ancient Indian spirit, "White Coon," has blue eyes, blonde hair, and is petite and pretty.

Said Mrs. Moran, when asked about Miss Paul:

"On Christmas night she wore my sealskin coat to a Yoeman's ball at 910 Campbell street. She came home without the coat, and said it had been stolen. New Year's night she put on $42.25 worth of our silk clothes, jewelry and a hat and went to another Yeoman's ball with Mamie. That time she got lost from Mamie and we just found her today living at 1214 East Eighth street with the same Mrs. Brown who had her arrested the time we paid her fine. We've heard that the sealskin jacket was thrown from the window to someone and wasn't stolen. We stuck to her, even when her mother was going to have us arrested for harboring her. We thought her parents were hard on her. They have a divorce case on trial tomorrow."

"Did Miss Paul assist in your seances?"

"Oh, she sat in them," explained Mrs. Moran's husband, "but she didn't help earn any of the clothes."

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,


Get the Book
Vintage Kansas City Stories ~ Early 20th Century Americana as Immortalized in The Kansas City Journal
Kansas City Stories

Early Kansas City, Missouri

>>More KC Books<<

The History and Heritage of Vintage Kansas City in Books
Vintage Kansas
City Bookstore

Powered by Blogger

Vintage Kansas

Vintage Antique Classics ~ Vintage Music, Software, and more Time Travel Accessories

In association with
KC Web ~ The Ultimate Kansas City Internet Directory