Find Kansas City Antiques and Collectibles at the Vintage Kansas City Marketplace ~ Own a Piece of Old KC

Vintage Kansas



Old News
Headlines and Articles from The Kansas City Journal

Business Office...4000 Main
City Editor.....4001 Main
Society Editor....4002 Main

Two cents. Subscription Rates:  By carrier, per week, 10 cents; per month, 45 cents.  By mail, daily and Sunday, one month, 40 cents; three months, $1.00; six months, $2.00; one year, $4.00.  Sunday only, six months, 75 cents; one year, $1.50.  Weekly Journal, 25 cents one year.

Like Vintage Kansas City on Facebook

As We See 'Em ~ Caricatures of Prominent Kansas Cityans

The Isis Theatre ~ Kansas City, Missouri

The History of Fairmount Park

Claims of Cancer Cured by Dr. Bye in Vintage KC Missouri

Special Cut Prices ~ Always the Same

Blogging Fusion Blog Directory

February 8, 1910


Scandinavians Flock to the
Standard of Gus Pearson.

"A Swede is in peril!"

That was both the watchword and the reason assigned for the meeting last night at the Stockholm hotel at 1024 West Seventeenth street, where about 300 Second ward Republicans indorsed Gus Pearson for another term as city comptroller.

The Scandinavian settlement in Kansas City has had two city comptrollers, and each has made good with his party, and the present comptroller, Gus Pearson, made good with the Democratic administration, too, but they have never had other representation, and now they are out for a member in the upper house of the council.

Last night these Second warders met to indorse Mr. Pearson and have a lunch, and they listened to Fred Coon and Judge Harry G. Kyle while they were awaiting the adjournment of the city council and a chance to tell Gus Pearson that they are for him.

Charley Lawson, who was chairman of the meeting, sounded the watchword: "A Swede is in peril."

Lawson and other speakers told how Pearson is to be rolled at the Republican convention February 25 because, as they declared, he has incurred the enmity of party bosses.

It appeared to be the sense of the meeting that Pearson is to be "rolled" by the bosses because he remained under a Democratic administration and the speakers declared that these same bosses offered to go into the courts to protect their places in the service when the Democrats ousted all of them but Pearson and kept Pearson merely because he is competent.


Judge Harry G. Kyle, who expects to carry the Second ward with the aid of Mr. Pearson's friends there, said in part:

"The freeholders, in drafting the new city charter, and in creating the hospital and health commission department of municipal government brought the city government close to the needs and wants of the people. This department will have control of the city hospital and all institutions now or hereafter owned or controlled by the city for the care of sick and injured persons; for the confinement, support and maintenance of insane persons.

"This commission will have a competent man to act as superintendent of the hospitals and other kindred institutions. It will also have a competent health commissioner to direct inspection of every part of the city, with a view to maintaining good sanitary conditions; also to inspect dairies, meat, food stuffs and water supplies for drinking purposes and to enforce all pure food laws."

Labels: , , , ,

February 2, 1910


Down Town Kyle-for-Mayor Club Is
Return for Advice Given.

C. H. Calloway, one of the best known negro orators in Republican ranks, has become president of a Kyle-for-Mayor club with headquarters at 815 McGee street. Dr. E. C. Bunch is secretary of the club.

The negroes reside in various wards, but opened a down-town workshop patterned after "Shootin' Gallery" Bill Green's work for Darius A. Brown in the Eighth ward, where the white Republicans have a down-town office, a permanent headquarters and an auditorium for blow-outs in the Spiritualistic church farther east in the ward.

The negroes formed a club to work for Judge Kyle in return for advice he has given them that the way to elevate their race is by patronizing negro businesses and professional men.

Labels: , , , ,

January 16, 1910


Candidate Will Erect Electric Sign
at Eighth and Walnut.

The Kyle canvass for mayor promises to take on a spectacular hue. The entire second floor of the Gumbel building, Eighth and Walnut streets, has been leased as campaign headquarters and they will be opened Wednesday night with music, song and oratory.

An immense electric sign of red, white and blue lights, having in the center a profile of Judge Kyle, is to be strung across Walnut street. Beneath the picture of the candidate will be the words, "The Man of the People -- Harry G. Kyle, Republican Candidate for Mayor."

Labels: , , ,

December 16, 1909


Speakers at Phantom Club Banquet
Show Steady Growth.

Members of the Phantom Club, organized on Friday, the thirteenth of December, four years ago, gave its second annual banquet last night at the Hotel Baltimore. Mayor Crittenden and prominent men about town were the guests of honor. Festus O. Miller was the toastmaster.

After a vocal solo by Lewis H. Scurlock, A. M. Kathrens, the president, reviewed the history of the club. He spoke of its organization and of its steady growth. It now has its own quarters at 1032 Penn street.

Other sentiments were responded to as follows:

"Phantoms in the Future," K. G. Rennic; "Club Fellowship," James West French; "Club Benefits," Estell Scott; "Good of the Order," Samuel Eppstein; "Topics," Clyde Taylor; "Remarks," Thomas R. Marks; "Narratives," Judge Harry G. Kyle.

Mayor Crittenden also spoke.

Labels: , , , , ,

October 13, 1909



Replica of Santa Maria, With "In-
dians" Aboard, a Feature --
Music and Speeches at
City Garden.

Columbus day, commemorating the discovery of America on October 12, 1492, was celebrated in Kansas City yesterday for the first time. A bill making October 12 a legal holiday passed the last legislature.

As the great "Christopher Colombo" was an Italian, born in Genoa, Italy, the Italians of Kansas City took the lead yesterday in celebrating the day. Ever since July 4 last the representative Italians of the city have been working on a monster parade, and yesterday the people viewed the result of their labors. The parade formed at the Holy Rosary church, Fifth and Campbell streets, and was headed by a line of carriages. In the first were Mayor Crittenden, Justice Michael Ross and Michael E. Casey, the state senator who drew up the bill making October 12 a holiday. Judge Harry G. Kyle, W. H. Baehr, city treasurer, and other city officials were in the other carriages with representative Italian citizens. Following these were members of many Italian lodges and societies.


The most attractive feature of the parade was a replica of the Santa Maria, the boat on which Columbus sailed to America. On board were sailors and "Indians." Frank Bascone, dressed to represent Columbus, stood in the boat, telescope in hand, apparently searching for land. Four bands were in the line of march.

After forming at Fifth and Campbell the parade went south to Sixth street, east on Sixth to Gillis, north on Gillis to Fifth and west to Walnut street, thus traversing the very heart of the Italian quarter known as "Little Italy." Crowds lined both sides of the street through the entire North End.

The line of march was continued down Walnut street to Sixteenth, on that street to Grand avenue and thence to the City garden, about Nineteenth and Grand, where the real celebration was held. Mayor Crittenden, Senator Casey and Judge Kyle made speeches in English, the best they could do. Speeches in Italian were made by Professor G. G. Langueri, Rev. Father John Marchello and Rev. Maxdano, minister of the Italian Evangelist church.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

June 23, 1909


Angry Father Threatened His Son
in the Municipal Court.

When Raymond Agill was fined $50 in the municipal court yesterday morning for mistreating his wife, he shook his fist at his 12-year-old son, who was a witness for his mother.

"I'll fix you when I get out," he declared.

When Judge Kyle heard the remark, he increased the fine to $500, and in default of payment the man was sent to the workhouse.

Labels: , , ,

June 17, 1909



Married Just a Month Ago, Mrs.
Frances Rodgers Burgess Charges
Desertion, and Has Earl
Locked Up.

Just one month ago today, Mrs. Frances Rodgers, 32 years old, matron of the George H. Nettleton home, married Earl Burgess, a distinguished looking stranger from St. Paul, whom she had known a month. Last night, Burgess slept in the holdover at police headquarters and will face Judge Kyle in the municipal court this morning on a charge of vagrancy. Mrs. Burgess, who claims that he deserted her a week ago in St. Joseph, after taking her savings, came to Kansas City, and in person saw that he was safely locked up.

"I'm going to prosecute him," she declared as she stamped her foot last night at the police station. "He has taken every cent of my money, and now I'm penniless."


Burgess, who is 46 years old, and who was wearing a light gray summer suit of clothes, looked extremely downcast when the jailer inspected his pockets. He colored slightly when several miniature photographs of young women were discovered.

"I met him in April," said the wife, "and he represented himself as a retired traveling man. He said that he had property in St. Paul, Oklahoma City and Omaha. In fact he was just traveling because he hated to be idle.

"I became interested at once, and accepted when he proposed marriage. I was then matron of the Nettleton home at a good salary. We went to St. Joseph, my former home, where my two children by my first marriage are in school. He then left me, but returned five days later.


"I forgave the first desertion, but when he again left me last Thursday I couldn't stand it any longer. He claimed that he had gone to St. Paul, but I traced him to Kansas City. I'm mighty glad to see that he is arrested, but I don't know what I'm going to do without money. I don't think he has a foot of property."

Detectives J. J. Raferty and M. J. Halvey arrested Burgess at a rooming house near Fourteenth and Broadway, where he was with a young woman. Mrs. Burgess waited for the detectives at Twelfth street and Broadway, and accompanied them to the station. Burgess implored her not to have him locked up, but his wife ignored his pleadings.

Labels: , , , , , ,

January 20, 1909


Mother of Four Children Is Arrested
and Fined for Vagrancy.

Standing in front of the rail in the municipal court yesterday morning was Harry O'Hare, motorman for the Metropolitan Street Railway Company, and his four children, ranging in years from 7 to 14. Next to the father stood the mother, with downcast head and eyes, charged with vagrancy on the complaint of her husband. The family lives at 1517 Montgall avenue.

In a broken voice he informed Judge Harry G. Kyle that his wife failed to stay at home and take care of the children, but paraded the streets. Sometimes, O'Hare said, his wife was away from home for a month or more at a time. She admitted liking the company of other men better than that of her husband, and Judge Kyle fined her $50.

Her case will be taken up by the pardon board. The Humane Society agreed to secure some woman to take care of the children and O'Hare will pay the expense.

Labels: , , , ,

January 15, 1909


Thought Tables Had Been Ordered
Out of Coffee Houses.

A committee from the Greek coffee house proprietors filled the lobby of Central police station early last evening to see Captain of Police Walter Whitsett in regard to their business.

The coffee house of Gust Agriomalos, 404 West Fifth street, and Gust Alivizos, 423 West Fifth street, were raided Thursday afternoon by the police and the proprietors and 156 frequenters taken to the station.

In the municipal court yesterday morning Agriomalos and Alivizos were fined $500 each and the frequenters $1 each. The charge against them was gambling. The Greek proprietors understood Judge Henry G. Kyle to instruct them to take the tables out of the coffee houses. After conferring with each other later in the morning the Greeks could not see how they could conduct their coffee houses without tables and appointed a committee to see the police about the matter.

Captain Whitsett told them they could keep their tables in the restaurants, but that they would not be allowed to gamble and it would be best to do away with all card playing.

Labels: , , , ,

January 13, 1909


Refusal to Heed Policeman Cost
Motor Car Speeder $10.

Refusing to stop his motor car on orders given by Patrolman Jerry Callahan Monday night cost Charles Brinker $10 yesterday morning in the municipal court. The $10 was a fine assessed by Judge Harry G. Kyle after Brinker had been arraigned on a charge of speeding his automobile. The patrolman testified that Brinker was running his machine at the rate of forty miles an hour.

Labels: , , ,

January 10, 1909


But He Lost It Because He Was Ar-
rested for Loafing.

In spite of the fact that he had a job as a cook, Harry Moore appeared yesterday morning, charged with vagrancy. He was arrested Friday night by Patrolman Bryan Underwood at the Union depot. Underwood accused Moore of loafing around the depot, and testified that Moore had his hand in another man's coat pocket when arrested.

The defendant testified that he came here from Sedalia four days ago, and had been staying at the Helping Hand institute. He denied that he was a vagrant, and said that he had secured a job as cook in a hotel on Union avenue. Moore said he did not have his hand in the man's pocket, and there was no witness but the officer. The prisoner told Judge Harry G. Kyle that he had importuned the patrolman to go across the street from the depot and verify his story as to the place of the cook, but that the patrolman refused.

Judge Kyle fined Moore $50 and then gave him a stay of execution, and turned him over to the Helping Hand authorities. F. H. Ream, spiritual adviser of the institute, went to the hotel named by Moore, and the proprietor confirmed his story, and said he was compelled to engage another man yesterday in his place.

Labels: , , , , , ,

December 19, 1908


R. L. Adams Put His Handicraft to
a Dishonest Use.

R. L. Adams, Baltimore, Md., expert key maker by trade and vagrant and thief by occupation, appeared in the municipal court yesterday charged with vagrancy. Thursday afternoon he was standing in front of the drug store of George Eysell on Union avenue looking at the window display.

The telephone operator unlocked the Bell telephone box and took the money out while Adams was watching him. The key used in the operation is a combination lock key, but the eagle eyes of Adams took in the various cuts and he reproduced the key. That evening he entered the drug store and unlocked the box and extracted 10 cents, all of the money it held.

While he was busy with the telephone box a clerk called in two policemen, who chased Adams through the rear door and caught him. He was sent to the workhouse under a fine of $50, which was imposed on him by Judge Kyle.

Labels: , , , , , ,

December 16, 1908


Neighbors Near 47th and Troost Ob-
ject to the Club's Business.

T. W. Dodd, steward of the Benevolent Order of Buffaloes, which has quarters at 1111 East Forty-seventh street, was in the municipal court yesterday to answer a charge of selling liquor without a license.

Dodd produced the club's charter and by-laws, showing that it was of legal standing, and had the right other clubs had to sell liquor. Judge Harry G. Kyle told him that the neighbors were objecting to the club's presence, and advised that they secure rooms downtown. The case was taken under consideration until January 1.

Labels: , , , ,

December 5, 1908


Bert Martin Said Whiskey Making
Sort of Ran in His Family.

When Bert Martin, 44 years old, charged with vagrancy, admitted to the court yesterday in the municipal court that he was a moonshiner, the police officers lounging on the seats in the court room pricked up their ears. Judge Kyle had asked him if he ever drank whisky, and Martin said: "Yes, and I make it, too, so did my father and grandfather."

Martin is a big, tall angular man, and said he had worked for fourteen years for railroads. A special policeman told the court that Martin would be killed if he did not stop jumping freight cars in the yards. The ex-moonshiner laughed and said he was "too slick" to get hurt, and that he hopped trains to keep in practice. He told the court that he had made his moonshine liquor in the hills near Oxley, Mo. He was fined $2.

Labels: , , , ,

October 22, 1908


The Penalty Is $500 on Each Count.
Many Warrants Out for

Cocaine sellers had a bad day in the municipal court yesterday. In all the fines amounted to $5,000, and that amount was assessed against only two defendants, Christ Adams, clerk for Dr. Harrison Webber, a pharmacist at Fifth and Broadway, drew $500 on two counts each. Claud E. Marshaw, better known among the dope fiends and North End druggists as Goldie, was the second victim of the private investigation of City Attorney Clif Langsdale and was charged with selling cocaine on eight counts. Each count drew a $500 fine. He was convicted on the testimony of Myrtle Morton, a user of the drug.

Seven warrants are in the hands of Sergeant M. E. Ryan for service on C. B. (Bert) Streigle, formerly proprietor of the Fifth and Central streets pharmacy, for selling cocaine. The police could not find Streigle, although he was in the city and telephoned to several of his friends.

During the trial of Christ Adams his attorney, Charles Shannon, was pointed out by one of the cocaine fiends being used as a witness as the man who had put her out of Dr. Webber's drug store and warned her not to return. The attorney attempted to use the woman's mistake as grounds for dismissal of his client's case, but the court refused to listen to his argument.

Late yesterday afternoon T. M. Brinkley, the night clerk at the drug store at Fifth street and Broadway, appeared at city hall and gave himself up. He was wanted for selling cocaine. After appearing before the city attorney he was released on a personal bond to appear in court this morning.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

October 2, 1908


Declares He Will Set Aside
Afternoon Each Week for
Spite Cases and In-
vite Public.

The publicity cure for neighborhood fights is to be adopted by Judge Harry Kyle in the police court, unless this character of cases becomes less frequent.

The city officials have been imposed upon to the extent of exasperation by a dozen women appearing in police court to air their personal quarrels and tongue lashings.

"If these cases do not quit coming in I am going to set aside one afternoon of each week which will be made an open court day," said Judge Kyle this morning, when impressing upon the women residents of a neighborhood on Drury avenue how foolish they were to bring their trivial affairs into court.

"I will make the afternoon session a public affair, so that everybody can get in on the entertainment and see what fools people will make of themselves. Now here is a case where two women had a little hair-pulling contest, which did not settle their differences so they employed counsel, one to prosecute and the other to defend, to come into this court and tell just what this woman said about the other's husband. If drastic measures are resorted to I think this character of cases will be less frequent."

After Mrs. Addie Shearer, 419 Drury avenue, and Mrs. Olive Garnett, 423 Drury avenue, had pulled each other's hair, trampled down the grass and slapped each other for ten minutes, they decided their difference would have to be decided by Judge Kyle in the police court. Mrs. Garnett preferred charges against Mrs. Shearer, charging her with assault and battery. A physician testified that Mrs. Garnett' face bore evidence of having been slapped as, when he examined her, he found several red marks. Mrs. Shearer assaulted her because, as she said, Mrs. Garnett was an aristocrat, a hypocritical church-goer and had told some of the neighbors that her husband was a chicken thief.

Both women had their little band of witnesses, who declared each lady to be a perfect lady and was entirely right in this affair. The trial of the case lasted an hour. Mrs. Shearer was fined $1, after which the women who favored her raised their heads in the air and fairly sailed from the court room. The opposing witnesses were equally as indignant because Mrs. Shearer had not been fined $500 instead of $1, and followed the first band from the room.

When a neighborhood case of this nature was being heard Tuesday morning before Judge Kyle, and after one woman had declared that the statement made by a witness was an infamous lie, about four square feet of plastering, directly over the witnesses, fell with a crash on the heads and shoulder of the parties lined along the bar. At that time Judge Kyle declared that it would not surprise him in the least if the entire city hall did not fall down some time when one of the family affairs was being tried.

Labels: , ,

August 28, 1908


Stole Tub of Pig's Feet and Went to

Frank McGinnis, while ambling about the city market yesterday morning, stole a tub of pickled pigs' feet. The farmer saw him just in time and chased McGinnis toward Patrolman T. M. Dalton, who "confiscated" him and immediately arraigned him in police court.

"Be a gentleman, judge. Make the fine light," pleaded McGinnis of Harry G. Kyle, police judge. "I used to train with Jack Gallagher down here in the North End, and he always got me out of trouble. But now --"

McGinnis got no further. The entire court room laughed -- even the judge could not repress a broad grin. He fined McGinnis $5 and he rode.

Labels: , , , , , ,

July 31, 1908


Gibbons Brothers, Now in Work-
house, Alleged Safeblowers.

After hearing the evidence against Albert Gibbons, alias King, and Thomas Gibbons, alias Wilson, in police court Monday, Judge Harry G. Kyle fined the two men $500 on a charge of vagrancy. The fine was made heavy in order to hold the men until Detectives James Raftery and M. J. Halvey could trace them in other cities. Yesterday a letter was received from the chief of police at Birmingham, Ala., saying the men had "cracked a safe" in that city two years ago, but that they were not now wanted.

The men are brothers and were born in Louisville, Ky. They have two brothers who are said to be safeblowers. The men arrested here and sent to the workhouse early in the week are said to be gay cats. Gay cats locate the safes and give their pals a description of its location. They will go into a town and beg from store to store in order to pick out a safe which is to be cracked by their partners. When the safe is blown the gay cats are usually in another city.

Labels: , , ,

July 25, 1908


One Encounter With Scott Was
Enough for George Ricks.

George Ricks, who lives with his wife at 1824 McGee street, was arrested last November by Officer E. M. Scott. Ricks made a very vigorous resistance at the time and it was necessary for the police surgeon to take forty-two stitches in his head when the officer got through with him. Judge Harry Kyle fined Ricks $50 in police court the next morning for wife beating.

Last night neighbors complained that Ricks was beating his wife again, and Officers Scott and J. E. Wallace were sent to arrest him. When Ricks saw Scott coming he submitted to arrest without making trouble.

Labels: , , ,

June 5, 1908





Was Once Before the Prosecutor to
Explain His Sudden Wealth
Shortly After Fanning
Was Slain.

At 11 o'clock last night Clark Wix was formally charged with the murder of John ("Dutch") Mason, the horse trader who disappeared from here January 26 last. Mrs. Lizzie Mason, the murdered man's widow, and Maud Wilson, with whom he had lived, both went to Camden, Mo., yesterday and identified the body.

It was after hearing statements made by the women, after they had identified property pawned by Wix, that John W. Hogan, assistant prosecutor, concluded to charge Wix with murder in the first degree. The information was drawn and sworn to by Mrs. Lizzie Mason. Then it was filed with Justice Michael Ross and a warrant issued on which Wix will be arrested this morning. His statement is to be taken at police headquarters this morning. His arraignment will be later.

The body of Mason arrived in the city yesterday afternoon and was sent to the morgue of Freeman and Marshall, 3015 Main street. There is a large hole in Mason's skull on the right side at the base, and another behind the left ear. A deep fracture connects both holes. It is the opinion of Detectives Charles Halderman and James Fox, who have developed he case, that the murder was committed with a hammer. A search will be made for the weapon.

In looking over his pawn slips Fred Bailey, secretary to the inspector, found where Clark Wix had pawned two watches and, as Mason had a watch when he disappeared, Detective Ralph Trueman was sent to Silverman's pawn shop, 1215 Grand avenue, after the property. He came back with a man's hunting case watch and a woman's watch with a diamond in the back. He also got a diamond ring and an Elk ring from the same shop.


Both Mrs. Mason and Maud Wilson quickly identified the man's watch as having been Mason's. They were not told of the other watch, and Mrs. Mason was asked if she ever possessed a watch.

"Yes," she said, "a small watch with a diamond in the back of the case." When shown the other watch which had been in pawn in Wix's name both women identified it immediately as Mrs. Mason's, and the Wilson woman said that Mason had the watch with him when he left that fatal Sunday, January 26.

According to the pawn sheets Wix pawned Mason's watch on February 10 and not until May 6 was Mrs. Mason's watch pledged. The police think that the diamonds in the Elk ring and other ring originally were part of Mason's horseshoe pin in which were fifteen stones, three large ones at the top and six smaller ones on each side.

John Hogan spent most of the night taking statements in the Wix case. Miss Wilson in her statement said that on April 26 last, her birthday, Clark Wix made her a present of a diamond ring. At the same time he had a stone set into a stud for himself. L. L. Goldman of 1307 Grand avenue, who set the two stones for Wix, also made a statement. Both persons said that the jewels were of almost the exact size of the three large stones in Mason's horseshoe pin. Miss Wilson said that when Wix gave h er the ring he said: "Now, if my wife ever finds out that I gave you this ring you must tell her that you bought it from me."

The third stone thought to have come from Mason's pin is believed now to be in an Elk charm worn my Wix when he was arrested.


W. A. Marshall, a liveryman, said in his statement that on the Sunday Mason disappeared he called up from Wix's transfer barn, 1406 Walnut street, and said: "I'll be over with Wix to see you in a little while about buying that horse." But, though that was about 1 p. m., Mason never came.

James Conely and John Lewis, horseshoers at Fourteenth and Walnut streets, stated that they often saw John Mason about Wix's barn, which was directly across the street from them.

It was the intention to question Wix last night, but that had to be abandoned until today. Wix has not yet been informed that he is charged with murder. When arrested he asked no explanation, though it was 1 o'clock Wednesday morning, and since he has been held in the matron's room at headquarters he has taken no apparent interest in why he was locked up and no one allowed to see him.


It developed yesterday that two months ago, on information furnished Detectives "Lum" Wilson and J. L. Ghent, Wix was taken before Prosecutor Kimbrell to be questioned in regard to the murder of Thomas W. Fanning, the aged recluse who was brutally killed with a hammer in his home, 1818 Olive street, December 31, 1906.

He was known to have hauled Mrs. Fanning to the general hospital, and it was reported that he said later: "Somebody is going to have to kill that old guy, Fanning, living all alone out there with all that coin." It was shortly after the Fanning murder that Wix went into business for himself, but in his statement at that time he said that his uncle, Clark Wix, postmaster of Butler, Mo., had furnished him the money. That matter will be reopened now.

Police Judge Harry G Kyle was yesterday retained by relatives to defend Clark Wix. Kyle comes from the same county, Bates, in which the Wix family live. All sorts of influence was brought to bear yesterday to get to see and talk to the prisoner, but Captain Walter Whitsett would not permit it.


Thomas W. Wix, a farmer from near Yates Center, Kas., arrived yesterday and it was he and Clark Wix, the uncle from Butler, who retained Judge Kyle. Rush C. Lake, assistant attorney general, went to the station and, according to Captain Whitsett, threatened to sue out a writ of habeas corpus if not allowed to see Wix. He was told that such action would mean in immediate charge of murder and there it ceased. Then other lawyers tried the same tactics and failed.

In June, 1906, Clark Wix was married to Miss Harriet Way, a nurse at the general hospital, who had served barely one of her two years.. At that time Wix was driving an ambulance for the Carroll-Davidson Undertaking Company, which handled all the city dead from the hospital, and it was his frequent trips there that brought him in contact with his wife.

Miss Way lived near Shelbina, Mo., and it was reported soon after her marriage that her family came near ostracising her for what she had done. In about a year, however, Wix had diamonds of all kinds and frequently gave his wife gems until she was the envy of her nurse friends at the hospital. Mrs. Wix was not informed last night that her husband had been charged with murder.

When Clark Wix was examined by County Prosecutor I. B. Kimrell and City Detectives Lum Wilson and J. L. Ghent, shortly after the murder of Thomas Fanning in his home at 1818 Olive street, on New Year's eve, 1906, Wix was not plainly told what charge might be placed against him. No person, outside of Chief of Police John Hayes, Wix's wife, the detectives and the prosecutor knew that Wix was under arrest. None of Wix's political friends knew of it or made any effort to secure his release. In recalling the questioning of Wix at that time Mr. Kimbrell said last evening:

"We asked Wix how he came by diamonds he was wearing and how he found the wherewithal to purchase his teams and wagons. He showed us that the original story about his owning many large diamonds was an exaggeration and that he possessed only two small ones, and he proved that he held title to only three teams and a wagon or two. He told us the size of his salary and how much he had been saving out of it each week. We corroborated his explanation by his wife and the neighbors. We never told him he was held for the Fanning murder. We discovered that we had no case against him and dropped the matter without letting his name be connected with the murder."

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

May 29, 1908





"Ain't You Next?" Said O'Hearn's
Friend; "You're to Let Her
Alone." -- More of the Pow-
er of Mickey O'Hearn.

After the order of the board of police commissioners Wednesday a reporter for The Journal had no trouble in seeing the books at No. 4 police station yesterday. And a view of these books proved the charges that every man since the first of the year, who has been active in arresting women "night hawks" has been taken out of plain clothes and removed from the district. One man was left in the district but he was taken from that special duty and put back into uniform.

The records showed that officers had been taken from that duty even before January 1 -- in fact, any man who has been too active since the reorganized police department took charge of affairs after Governor Joseph W. Folk's "rigid investigation" has been shifted. This is not only true of No. 4 district by even in No. 1 district, headquarters. This does not pertain alone to the arresting of dissolute women but to interference with certain saloons which were selling liquor on Sunday. That charge is made in regard to No. 1 district more than any other. Of course, some saloons have been caught; but they are not the influential ones; those run by "our political friends."

While the records at No. 4 station practically prove all the assertions made in regard to that district it is said that no blame can be laid at the door of Captain Thomas P. Flahive. It is not he who has had the men taken out of citizens clothes and transferred Those who know say he has been handicapped by having only a few men to do the work in his district and by an unseen power which has been able to have men removed when they did their full duty.


The records show that Daniel Doran, who worked there for years, arrested thirty-five women just before January 1. He was threatened by well dressed vagrants and told that he would be moved. And by the grace of the unseen power he was moved January 1, last, going in uniform to No. 9 -- the "sage brush" district.

The commanding officers and sergeants under whom Edward Prewett worked in No. 4 precinct speak well of him. He was there nearly eight years, and it was never said that Prewett did not do his full duty. In fat, it has been said that "Prewett would bring in his grandmother if ordered to do so."

In December, Prewett was detailed alone to bring in women of the streets. In eighteen days he brought in thirty-five of them. But from all sides, even from the women and especially the dude vagrants, he heard, "You won't last beyond January 1." One night Prewett arrested a woman named Kate Kingston. Last year this woman was fined $500 by Police Judge Harry G. Kyle, and at that time the records showed that she had been fined 106 times in police court.


As he started away with the woman, "Ted" Noland appeared on the scene. "Turn that woman loose," he said; "you ain't next are you? She's to be let alone." Prewett was not "next," for he was also arrested Noland, and that was his undoing. Noland threatened the officer and told him he would personally see to it that he was moved. And Prewett was moved January 1, going in uniform to No. 6. Noland was fined $50 in police court the day following his arrest.

Noland is well known to the police, and in January, 1907, was fined $500 on a charge of vagrancy. That same Kate Kingston, over whom he threatened the officer, testified then that he and a man named Deerwester had beaten her at Thirteenth and Main streets. Deerwester got a similar fine. Their cases were appealed and the men were soon out out on bond.

Noland is a friend of Alderman "Mickey" O'Hearn, and, until recently, could be seen almost any day about his saloon at 1205 Walnut street; also about the saloon of Dan Leary at Fourteenth and Walnut streets. The records show that Leary has gone the bonds of scores of street women. At one time Judge Kyle objected to the n umber of personal bonds that Leary was signing and required that they be made in cash.


The influence of Alderman "Mickey" O'Hearn may be better understood when it is known how he is reverenced by many members of the police department. When the Folk "investigation" was begun in May last year the commissions of probably half the department were held up. This conversation was overheard one day between two of the officers out of commissions.

"I'll tell you these are ticklish times," one said. "I have all my friends to work and am assured that I am all right."

"I'm up a tree," the other replied. "I don't know what to do. I have always tried to do my duty and can't imagine why I am held up."

"Why don't you see 'Mickey'?" his friend said with astonishment. "I thought you were wise. You know 'Mickey,' don't you You do; then go and see him and the whole things squared. That's what I did."

From that day to this the word has gone out through the whole department, "See 'Mickey' if you are in bad. He'll fix it."

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

May 16, 1908


Judge Kyle Gave "Pinky" Blitz $10
Just for Encouragement.

"Pinky" Blitz proved in police court yesterday that he was interested in business with his brother on Independence avenue, and that he had just sold an interest in a cedar bag concern. He had been held in jail twenty-four hours for investigation. When four men who had been recently robbed failed to identify him, he was then charged with vagrancy. That meant another twenty-four hours in jail.

Judge Kyle fined Blitz $10 on general principles because he was in bad company, but told him he wanted to help him as much as anyone. Blitz and Virgil Dale were arrested by order of Inspector Ryan because they were seen on the street at 6 o'clock in the evening. It looked suspicious, he aid, as pickpockets were at work in the town again. None of the victims identified either man.

Dale was fined $10 also, and told that he must get to work or "next time it will be heavier, and so on until you are landed. Dale promised He said he had been out of town with his brother and had just returned.

Labels: , , , ,

May 13, 1908


Boy From Gravette, Ark., Used a
Fierce Weapon and Was Arrested.

Willie Davidson is a product of Gravette, Ark. Last Monday night he was found in the women's waiting rooom of the Grand Central depot, Second and Wyandotte streets. He held in his right hand a large Bowie knife, the sharp end of which was stuck between his teeth. It frightenend the women and Patrolman Samuel Nichols took him in tow and landed him at headquarters.

When searched Willie -- they call him "Willie" at home, he said, because he was not yet of age -- yielded and automatic pistol, loaded, and an extra box of shells.

"I came up here to get some shells for my gun -- couldn't get 'em at home," Willie told Judge Kyle yesterday. "The Bowie knife? Oh, I bought that just because it was pretty. I wasn't doin' nothin' with it but pickin' my teeth. Jest pickin' my teeth, that's all, and not harmin' nothin' or nobody. 'Tain't no harm to pick your teeth, is it?"

"Not with a toothpick, no," replied the court. "But we bar the Bowie knife for that purpose here. I know where you come from. The town is full of rocks. Now you take your automatic and your 'toothpick' and catch the first train for home. If you flash that weapon in Gravette I'll bet the town boys chase you to the tall grass with it and that 'toothpick.' "

"Willie" gathered up his belongings and left for the first train.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

May 9, 1908


Its Spots Saved Albert King a Police
Court Fine.

The fact that Albert King, a negro, was the posessor of a black and white spotted dog and not a yellow canine, saved him from a stiff fine on a charge of vagrancy in police court yesterday. It developed that a negro with a yellow dog had been creating havoc among the chickens in the vicinity of Fifth street and Lydia avenue. King was identified as the man who picked up a chicken and walked away with it the other day when the dog had done its work.

"I admits that," said King "I saw that yaller cur kill that pullet, ad it was layin' in th' road, I just took it. But that yaller dog ain't mine."

Just at that moment King's sister walked into the court room leading a black and white cur.

"Hyah Mose, hyah Mose," said King, pursing up his lips. The dog came to him and seemed awful glad to see him after his night in jail.

"The sister said that King worked whenever he could get it, and cared for herself and her mother.

"That black and white dog has saved him," said Judge Kyle. "If you hadn't appeared here with it, your brother might have been doing time, perhaps innocently. The next time a yellow dog kills a chicken you leave it alone," was the court's final advice.

Labels: , , , ,

May 7, 1908


For Cruelty to His Chidren B. F.
Scott Is Fined $500.

B. F. Scott, a stone mason living at 1301 Belmont street, was fined $500 by Police Judge Kyle yesterday. His wife told the court they had been married ten years which were "ten years of frightful misery and mental suffering."

She said Scott often, to punish the children, had placed two of the back to back, tied their hands together and then tied them to a nail overhead and gone away and left them. The mother said she always cut them down as soon as Scott departed, as she was afraid to do so before.

Labels: , , , , ,

April 18, 1908


Pendergast Enters Upon His 17th
Year in Lower House Monday.

When James Pendergast yesterday took the oath of office as alderman in the lower house from the First ward, it marked the beginning of a continuous term of service in a like capacity of seventeen years.

"Long time to be an alderman and never get in jail," observed the rotund alderman from the First as he applied his signature to the oath.

"And if I live for seventeen years more in the First," continued the alderman, "I suppose I will be still in service. It makes no difference whether the Metropolitan, the election commissioners, the police of all the other powers are against me. I have the confidence and respect of my constituency and it is by the cards that I can be alderman from the First for life. It pays to be square, and the man who coined the phrase that 'honesty is the best policy' must have had me in mind. Honesty in everything, and be true blue with your friends at all times is my platform.

"I've sweat blood for my political friends for twenty-five years, and I'll keep on sweating blood for them for twenty-five years longer if they continue on the square. A fellow for whom I sweat blood for a whole two weeks came into my place day after election, and invited me to have something.

" 'No siree,' I said to him. 'Don't want anything to do with you. If you have a dollar to spend you'll confer a favor on me by going somewhere else to spend it. I can get along better with out you than you can without me. Before election you was knocking a friend of mine on the ticket. I sent five different men after you to come and talk it over with me. You didn't come, so it's all off between you and me.' That's the way I treat all people with whom I have been on the square, but are not on the square with me."

Others who took the oaths of office yesterday were Michael Cunningham, lower house alderman from the Sixth ward; Darius A. Brown, lower house alderman from the Fifth; Edgar P. Madorie, lower house alderman from the Eleventh; E. E. Morris, lower house alderman from the Tenth; Dr. J. E. Logan, upper house alderman; Harry G. Kyle, police judge, and Cliff Langsdale, city attorney.

Labels: , , ,

April 10, 1908



A Pickpocket and the Assailant of a
Little Girl Are Fined $500 Each,
Also -- Lecture to Heavy-
Handed Husband.

Judge Kyle celebrated re-election yesterday by assessing four $500 fines, two of them being against wife beaters, one a pickpocket and the fourth a man who had attempted to assault a little girl. It was the judge's first day on the bench since election.

W. D. Russell, 2223 Campbell street, was fined $500 for beating his wife and putting her, with a 3-weeks-old baby in her arms, out of the house. Mrs. Russell's mother was also put out.

When Patrolman Noland was called he tried to effect a compromise. He told Mrs. Russell to go back into the house and see what Russell would do. Russell had gone to bed intoxicated, the officer said, and immediately began to curse and abuse his wife when she awakened him.

Mrs. A. Burgis of the Associated Charities said that Mrs. Russell had supported herself and baby, and husband, too, for a long time by making bed quilts, having made and sold twenty of them. When Russell insisted that he had paid the rent Mrs. Burgis said: "Not much you didn't. We paid part and your wife the rest." Russell is a big, strapping man and his wife a small woman. She was too weak and sickly to appear in court, but the officer and Mrs. Burgis did the work. His fine was $500.

The next wife beater to meet his fate was Fred Scraper of 313 East Eighteenth street. He was arrested by Patrolman McCarthy after he had raised a disturbance at his home. Mrs. Scraper and her little daughter both testified against Scraper.

"My wife irritates me," Scraper said. "The other night I went home with the earache and the toothache. Any man might slap a woman at such times."

"There is no excuse on earth great enough to cause a husband to lay even his hand upon his wife in anger. Your fine is $500," said Judge Kyle. Scraper was fined $15 on March 10 for disturbing the peace at home and given a stay conditioned on good behavior. He has been in police court many times for the same offense. He is an upholsterer's solicitor.

When Philip Packard was arraigned on a technical charge of vagrancy Sergeant James W. Hogan testified that on election night in a crowd in front of a newspaper office he had caught Packard in the act of picking a man's pocket. Bertillon records show that Packard had served a term in the penitentiary at Pontiac, Ill., and many workhouse sentences. He did not deny it. On December 21 last, under the name of Milton Steele, Packard was sent to the workhouse for attempting to pick a man's pocket in a pool hall. He was released April 1. Judge Kyle assessed $500 against Packard.

A man giving the name of J. H. McCleary, a news agent, was the last victim. He was charged with disturbing the peace. George W. Banfield, a contractor of Twenty-ninth and Flora, told how his little girl had been insulted by McCleary. Some little girls were hunting four-leaf clovers in old Troost park. When McCleary placed his hands on Mr. Banfield's daughter the girls ran and screamed. Banfield chased McCleary several blocks, caught him and turned him over to the police. McCleary was fined $500.

All four of the men fined $500 rode to the workhouse, no attempts being made to get them out on appeal bonds. The fine means one year in the workhouse.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

April 8, 1908






Mayor -- Crittenden, D ..........................1,320
Police Judge -- Kyle, R ...........................2,213
Treasurer -- Baehr, R ............................1,220
Auditor -- Greene, D ..............................2,478
Attorney -- Langsdale, D .......................1,708
Upper House President, Gregory, D .....1,344

Thomas T. Crittenden, Jr., Democrat, was elected mayor of Kansas City yesterday over Mayor Henry M. Beardsley, Republican, by 1,320 majority, with one precinct of the Twelfth ward missing. Harry G. Kyle, Republican, was re-elected police judge over Michael E. Casey, Democrat, and William J. Baehr, Republican, was elected city treasurer over Thomas S. Ridge, Democrat. Kyle's majority was 2,213.

The upper house Democratic ticket, with Robert L. Gregory president, elected three of its candidates, making that branch of the council still Republican. The lower house is overwhelmingly Democratic.

It was a big Democratic victory, and for the first time in four years the Democrats will be back in the city hall for a term of two years one week from next Monday.

While in the city ten days ago Attorney General Hadley warned his Republican friends that the issues advanced were false, and he quietly passed the word that if they were persisted in it could mean nothing but defeat. The result proves that Hadley was right.

Overcast clouds and intermittent showers ushered in the day. Despite the unfavorable aspect of the weather, voters were up and astir long before the break of day, and at 6 o'clock, when the polls opened, the voting places of the 164 precincts in the fourteen wards were besieged by long and patient lines of men awaiting the time and opportunity to cast their ballots.

The voting was rapid, the record in some precincts being one to the minute. Merchant, banker, professional man vied with the laborer to get to the ballot boxes.


In a majority of the precincts over half the total registration had been voted by noon, and from that time to the close of the polls at 7 o'clock the voting was by jerks and starts. It was stated in some of the precincts as early as 6 o'clock that all the votes that could be depended upon to be cast had been delivered, and this seemed true, for the judges, clerks and workers sat around idle.

Assertions of fraud were made during the early hours, and some arrests resulted It was charged that men had tendered money for votes, and that voters had accepted money. The early arrests of these offenders put a stop to any more such work so far as was observable, although at several times during the day Alderman Pendergast openly charged that Republicans were paying $3 a piece for negro votes in the First ward. Watchers sent into the ward by the Civic League said they had seen no vote-buying.


Up to noon the Republican headquarters felt sure of victory and the Democrats felt uneasy The first alarm was felt at 1111 Grand when the Republican precinct workers telephoned in that the noon hour vote of business men was against the Republican ticket. The excuse offered was that retail merchants were in a revolt against an evening newspaper.

The Democrats had not counted on this vote at all. As soon as they saw they were getting it they sent their runners into the stores after the clerks. With oodles of money to pay for carriages and automobiles to hurry them to their home wards, the Democrats found the store proprietors willing to let the men off to vote. It was a fully fledged rebellion in the Republican party.

As early as 4 o'clock it was announced at Democratic headquarters that the Democratic ticket was in the ascendancy. News came that Walter Dickey, Republican state chairman, had joined Mayor Beardsley in the Ninth ward, and with it came the news that negroes were beginning to vote the Republican ticket there. Dickey was understood to have wagered, for friends, about $18,000. One negro said he had been offered $8 for his vote. High as this was, $8 apiece for votes to save heavy bets would not be out of the way. There was Democratic money seen in the ward immediately. Twenty-four negroes voted the Democratic ticket straight at Fifteenth and Tracy. This looked like commercialism, but the retort was that the Republicans were at the same game. Governor Folk was hurried to the ward to see Democratic tickets voted by negroes. He expressed surprise.

There were only three fights reported at either headquarters, and both headquarters said they had heard of very little challenging. This presaged clear tally sheets, an early count and all judges signing.


At 7 o'clock the mayor arrived at 1111 Grand, thinking he had squeezed through, but by 8 o'clock he admitted to a Journal man that "it looks blue." An hour later he conceded his defeat. This was while he sat in headquarters with a crowd taxing the capacity of the big hall.

Crittenden was sent for. He was not able to get to the Democratic headquarters until about 10 o'clock, just as Mayor Beardsley was leaving his own headquarters, a defeated man.


The rival city chairmen, the rival candidates for mayor, the commissioners and governor Folk all admitted that there had been a reasonably fair election, marked by the absence of repeating and ruffianism. The most sensational spectacle at night was of Republicans going in squads to the Democratic headquarters to share in the demonstrations of victory. Full importance was given at the Republican headquarters to the weight the defeat will have on the Republican chances this fall, unless there is a new alignment and new issues found... while the Democrats claimed to see ahead far enough to make James A. Reed United States senator. Reed arrived at his headquarters about 10 o'clock. He was called on for a speech and made one from his automobile. He congratulated the entire party upon its success as an organization as a whole, but credited the enormous majority, by comparison, to the opposition of an evening newspaper. When afterwards Mr. Reed went past Eleventh and Grand on his triumphal tour, his car was halted and once more he was compelled to make a speech. He repeated what he had said at Democratic headquarters. From there he went to The Journal office, arriving just as two Democratic bands and processions met, one from Democratic headquarters, traveling from the west, and another form the Sixth ward, headed by the Italian band, coming from the east. The meeting was unexpected and most dramatic. From The Journal the crowd went back to Democratic headquarters and at midnight it was roving about the city.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

March 5, 1908


Did Not Clearly Impress the Court
With His Innocence.

C. H. Foley, bartender, and D. O. Elmers, porter at the saloon of John M. Lynch, 426 Main street, were fined $50 each in police court yesterday or disturbing the peace of George W. Ellingwood. Ellingwood testified that on last Saturday night he was roughly handled in the saloon and relieved of nearly $5, a ticket to Boston, Mass., and his trunk check.

"I ordered drinks for myself and a couple of friends," the complainant testified. "Foley insisted that I ordered drinks for the ho use, which came to $2.80. He took a $5 bill from me, took out the $2.80 and laid the change on the bar. Just then I was pounced upon by a dozen or more men, including the porter. I was thrown to the floor and my clothes torn in a search for more money, they having got all that was on the bar. My ticket to Boston and trunk check were also stolen."

"De moke orders drinks fer de house," said the barkeep. "When I says, '$2.80, please, he refuses to cough up. He has his leather in his mit. I cops dat, gloms de finif an' lays $2.20 on de bar. I don't allow no cheap screw to come in me place and make a lobster out en me -- see!"

It was after this exhibition that Judge Kyle assessed a fine of $50 each against the defendants. Elmers is a Mexican. The cases were appealed to the criminal court, bonds being furnished almost immediately.

F. H. Ream spiritual director at the Helping Hand, which is near Lynch's saloon, took a deep interest in the case and furnished two eye witnesses to the attack on Ellingwood. Mr. Ream said later that he intended taking the matter before the police board. Ellingwood was a janitor at the Franklin Institute. He longed to go home to Boston. He saved his money and his brother furnished the balance to buy a ticket home. The ticket has never been recovered.

Labels: , , , , , ,

February 28, 1908


For Further Particulars Ask Anybody
at the City Hall.

A brand new "sell" has been going the rounds of the city hall and police headquarters and if there is a man down there who has not been caught his name has been supressed. It has to do with a new holiday and for that reason those hard woring city employes took the bait quickly. Here is the way Captain Snow worked the new gag on Police Judge Harry G. Kyle yesterday.

"I see we will have no court Saturday," suggested the captian.

"Is that so?" inquired his judgeship, trying to think what for.

"Yes," was the reply. "It's a new holiday."

"You don't say?" said the court, as he went clear under with the bait. "What's the occasion?"

"Judge Wallace's birthday," answered the captian gravely.

Just a dozen persons were present when the judge bit and just a dozen "good" cigars were purchased by his honor. Cigar dealers near the hall have profited on account of the "new holiday."

Labels: , , , , ,

February 9, 1908



Unlike Toledo Judge, He Has No
Sympathy for Those Upon Whom
His Sentence Falls -- Life in
the Local Reformatory.

No criminal who violates the law of Kansas City and is subject to a sentence which will confine him to the workhouse can expect a particle of sympathy. Unlike the Toledo, O. judge who went to the workhouse as a prisoner and afterwards thought the prisoners were probably too severely dealt with, Harry G. Kyle, police judge of Kansas City, contends prisoners at the local workhouse are treated well enough, and his belief is that work is the best cure for a criminal.

Judge Kyle declares he has never yet felt sorry for any person whom he has sentenced, because he believed he was doing the criminal a great deal of good by putting him where he would have to work.

"It would be foolish for me to go to the workhouse and serve as a prisoner," said Judge Kyle yesterday. "I find out how those prisoners are treated by asking them when they are before me. Enough of them go the second time so I know, from their own statements, what kind of treatment they get. They never want to go the second time because they do not like to work, but they do not complain about the treatment or food. It is the best.

"I believe in work. Criminals do not. I believe the best way to make a man better, of purifying him body and soul, is to keep him at work. I do not believe in jails for close confinement. That satisfies the criminal because he can continue in idleness and at the same time get his living.

"There are two kinds of criminals: one is the man who violates the law because there is a personal profit in so doing; the second is the man who violates the law because of some internal weakness which he is unable to control. The first is the hardest to deal with and the hardest to cure. The second sees his faults and tries to remedy them.

"Sympathy spoils criminals. The Toledo official who sentenced himself to the workhouse, that he might see how men are treated, made a grandstand play. I have confidence in Superintendent James L. McCracken and Assistant Superintendent W. D. Heacock, who have charge of the workhouse here, and know prisoners will be well treated. The guards are all responsible men. They feed the prisoners well and I believe this is only right. If men work they should have good, substantial food. To starve them would not cure them of being criminals.


A visit to the Kansas City workhouse will convince any fair minded person that the criminals confined there are as well treated as in any prison in the country. Their food is wholesome and well cooked. With the exception of superintendents and guards all the work is done by prisoners. As almost every trade is represented there it is easy to obtain cooks, barbers, barn hands and waiters.

The bill of fare at the workhouse is much better than the daily diet in many homes. For breakfast each prisoner gets a quart of coffee, a pan of gravy, hot roast meat, fried potatoes and bread and butter. For dinner they have corn bread, boiled potatoes, cold sliced roast meat, turnips, onions, cabbage or other vegetables, and coffee. For supper they are served corn beef and cabbage or pork and beans, boiled potatoes, soup and bread. Dressings and other things of this nature are also served for some meals. The dining room and kitchen of the workhouse are clean, three men being kept busy all the time caring for this part of the institution.

The cells and beds are always clean. White prisoners are entirely separated from negro, except while at work. There are now 129 men and twenty-two women prisoners in the workhouse, and twenty-five men prisoners at the house in Leeds. There are so many prisoners there now that only half of them work at a time, although the authorities expect to have it arranged soon so that every prisoner can be kept at work.

Prisoners are called at 6 o'clock in the morning and wash for breakfast. They sit down to breakfast at 7 o'clock and at 8 are lined up to go to work. Each one is shackled and taken to the stone pile, where most of the work is done, this being the only kind afforded at present, although a few are used on the streets to spread the stone for paving. They work until noon, when they are given an hour for dinner. At 5 o'clock they eat supper and are locked in their cells at 6 o'clock. At 8:30 a signal is given for them to prepare for bed and at 9 o'clock the lights are turned out. Women at the workhouse do the laundry work and cleaning, although few of them are employed all of the time.


James Austin, Jr., is the Toledo, O. police judge who sentenced himself together with a prosecutor and three newspaper reporters, to the workhouse so that he might see what punishment he was daily inflicting on men in his court. Unlike Judge Kyle, he believed they were getting rather harsh treatment. His commitment had been arranged under due process of law and, handcuffed, he was taken in a patrol wagon to the workhouse and thrown into a cell block with pickpockets, thieves, vagrants, drunkards and other prisoners. No one at the workhouse knew who he was and before he had been there long he realized that to be a prisoner was no snap.

On commitment he was commanded to "peel off his clothes" and get ready for a bath in the shower bath room. He obeyed and got ready for dinner. While in line waiting for dinner he remarked to one of his companions that he was hungry and was severely shaken by a guard who told him to "cut out that talking in the line." Judge Austin looked sheepish and obeyed. He was put on a gang to cut ice. The judge joined this gang without a word and worked hard all afternoon. Clad in the regular prison garb of gray he toiled alongside men he had sentenced. He was taken back to the prison after the day's work and given a cup of water, just the same as a regular prisoner. No favors were shown him and he actually experienced the life of a criminal for one day.

After the men were released Judge Austin is quoted as having said: "That first hour was the longest one I ever put in. It is an experience I will never forget, and I tell you I will do some tall thinking before I sentence another man to the workhouse. But I found conditions ideal and have nothing but praise for the manner in which the superintendent is conducting the institution."

Labels: , , , ,

January 18, 1908


Judge Kyle Has a Session
With Wife Abusers.

"I wish I had before me this morning every man within my jurisdiction who abuses or in any manner mistreats his wife. I am just in the mood to give such men the limit. There are many more in this city and I wish they all could be apprehended," said Harry G. Kyle, police judge, yesterday morning just after he had fined three husbands $500 each.

The first one to come to bat was John Forest of 1311 1/2 Washington street. He was charged with disturbing the peace of his wife.

Frank Andrews of 417 East Eighteenth street was charged with non-support. He is a stock cutter for the Caton Printing company. Mrs. Andrews said that her husband came only only two or three nights in the week and that the rent and grocery bills were unpaid. He makes good wages. Andrews fondled his 6-year-old boy while the trial was in progress, and Judge Kyle said:

"You seem to think a lot of that boy now, but you certainly did not when you remained away from home over half the time. Five hundred dollars for you, too."

Andrews's mother and his wife both appeared against him.

In the trial of Clyde DeLapp, a bartender, charged with disturbing the peace of his wife, there was evidence hinting that an abortive attempt had been made to railroad Mrs. Helen DeLapp, the wife, to an asylum.

The DeLapps lived at 2625 Wabash avenue when most of the trouble occurred. After Mrs. DeLapp left her husband, on January 7, however, she had been staying with Mrs. R. A. Shiras at 1406 East Tenth street. Mrs. DeLapp's testimony, which was corroborated by Mrs. Shiras and by Mrs. J. H. Morse of 2622 Wabash avenue, was to the effect that DeLapp had dragged her from her home by her hair, choked her and beaten her.

Mrs. DeLapp said that an effort had been made to send her to an asylum by the certificate of two doctors, only one of whom she had ever seen, and that one had not examined her as to her sanity. DeLapp was fined $500.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

January 10, 1908


Real Hard Luck Story That Made
Police Judge Relent.

For a real hard luck story Tim Higgins, who said that was not his name, took the prize in police court yesterday. Here's the story:

"Yer honor, I'll admit that I was drinkin'. I was down on the 'wet' block next to State Line, where every door's a saloon but a couple. I live just around the corner on James street in Kansas, but come across the line for me drink. The Missouri officer got me first and, not wantin' to appear in court fro a drunk, he takes me to the line, gives me a wallop wit his club and sends me over. Once over th' line I loses me way and butts into a Kansas copper. I guess he didn't want to appear in court, either, for he hustles me to th' line again and, with a side swipe, sends me clean over into Missouri.

"By that time was complete turned around, and who should I meet but the big bull who thrown me into Kansas. 'What are ye doin' here?' says he, and he makes a center rush for me, and I'm in Kansas again. Thinkin' I'd be wise and still get home, I made a detour fer a side street. I was makin' good time in the dark street when someone says, 'Halt, ye there!" I did, an' by the saints it was a bluecoat. Witout as much as askin' me where I was goin' he puts me back into Missouri.

"I don't know how many times I was juggled from one state to another, but I know it made me head swim. Finally, early this mornin' the big Missouri copper finds me walkin' east, I guess -- I'd just been transferred to this state again, I know. He gets sore, sends for the wagon and here I am. I belong in Kansas and am anxious to get there."

"I think you've had yours, all right," said Judge Kyle, "back to Kansas."

Labels: , , , , ,

January 3, 1908


Harry Schultz, Sr., Denies the Charge
Made by Mrs. Anna Crisp.

Harry Schultz, Sr., of 3424 Holmes street, who was the cause of Mrs. Anna Crisp's arrest by police at the Midland hotel Wednesday night when she was found in the company of his son, Roy Schultz, stated to The Journal yesterday that her claim that he struck her is false. He says he did not strike the woman, and the only reason he made the scene in the hotel was that she had threatened to go to his home, and also to go with the family to a theater, which he would not allow.

Mr. Schultz says the young woman waylaid his son on Tenth street, and that he had previously warned her to leave the boy alone. When the case against Mrs. Crisp was called in police court yesterday she did not appear. Mr. Schultz did not press the charge, and the $10 cash bond, deposited by a Texan, was set aside by Judge Kyle, who said the money would be returned to him.

Labels: , ,

December 21, 1907


The Court Decided That Wooden Leg
Didn't Damage Bed Clothes.

It was a very fine point which arose in a police court trial yesterday, and it was finally decided against the prisoner, Howard Mills, a negro. Mrs. Catherine Porter, an aged negress with whom he boarded at 1915 East Nineteenth street, alleged that Mills, because he had been locked out of his room for non-payment of rent, got back into the room with a knife and "did then and there cut, carve, rip, split, strip, etc., etc., one blanket, one 'log cabin' quilt and one white spread."

Mills strenuously denied the allegation, and pleaded that the damage had all been done with a splinter in his wooden leg while he was in the throes of a nightmare.

"The cuts were straight and clear across the covers," said Patrolman Thomas McNally, expert witness, "and couldn't have been made with a wooden leg."

"That is corroborative evidence," said Judge Kyle. "Ten dollars."

Labels: , ,


Get the Book
Vintage Kansas City Stories ~ Early 20th Century Americana as Immortalized in The Kansas City Journal
Kansas City Stories

Early Kansas City, Missouri

The Son of Jesse James is Accused of a Train Robbery at Leeds ... Can he get a fair trial in Kansas City?
The Trial of Jesse James, Jr.

>>More KC Books<<

As an Amazon Associate this site may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

The History and Heritage of Vintage Kansas City in Books
Vintage Kansas
City Bookstore

Powered by Blogger

Vintage Kansas

Vintage Antique Classics ~ Vintage Music, Software, and more Time Travel Accessories

In association with
KC Web ~ The Ultimate Kansas City Internet Directory