Find Kansas City Antiques and Collectibles at the Vintage Kansas City Marketplace ~ Own a Piece of Old KC

Vintage Kansas



Old News
Headlines and Articles from The Kansas City Journal

Business Office...4000 Main
City Editor.....4001 Main
Society Editor....4002 Main

Two cents. Subscription Rates:  By carrier, per week, 10 cents; per month, 45 cents.  By mail, daily and Sunday, one month, 40 cents; three months, $1.00; six months, $2.00; one year, $4.00.  Sunday only, six months, 75 cents; one year, $1.50.  Weekly Journal, 25 cents one year.

Like Vintage Kansas City on Facebook

As We See 'Em ~ Caricatures of Prominent Kansas Cityans

The Isis Theatre ~ Kansas City, Missouri

The History of Fairmount Park

Claims of Cancer Cured by Dr. Bye in Vintage KC Missouri

Special Cut Prices ~ Always the Same

Blogging Fusion Blog Directory

December 6, 1910



Talks With Husband an Hour,
Then Takes Train Back
to Kansas City.

JEFFERSON CITY, Jan. 5. -- Mrs. Sharp, or "Eve," as she calls herself, came here from Kansas City today to see if she could accomplish anything toward getting her husband pardoned from the penitentiary. "Adam God," as her husband calls himself, is serving a twenty-five year sentence in the penitentiary, and has not served four months of it.

"Eve" did not have any recommendations whatever and was in ignorance as to how to proceed in the premises. She reached here thismorning and called at the governor's mansion to talk with Governor Hadley. There she was told that the governor would be found at his office, and thither she went.

While she did not get to see the governor, she saw Major Chambers, pardon attorney, who told her that she had best return to Kansas City, where her husband was convited, and see if she could get any recommendations favoring clemency for him.


After leaving the state capitol, "Eve" proceeded to the penitentiary, where she talked with her husband for an hour and later in the day took a train to Kansas City.

About a year ago "Adam God" and "Eve" received a large share of attention at the hands of the newspapers. They appeared in Kansas City preaching on the streets some strange religion and caused such crowds to collect that the police sought to break up the outdoor meetings. "Adam God," "Eve" and their followers resisted with weapons. As a result two police officers, the male follower, a bystander and a child lost thier lives. "Adam God" and "Eve" were both indicted, but the prosecution against the latter was dropped.

"Adam God" is employed in one of the shoe shops and is known at the prison as an industrious and good convict.

Labels: , ,

January 5, 1910


Governor Hadley Makes Him a Col-
onel On His Staff Which Now
Numbers Thirty-Seven.

JEFFERSON CITY, MO., Jan 4. -- Among the Christmas presents bestowed by Governor H. S. Hadley upon his friends is the appointment of John F. Lumpkin of Kansas City as a member of his personal staff, with the rank of colonel.

Mr. Lumpkin is one of the best known business men in Kansas City, and this new honor will be gratifying news to a very wide circle of friends. Mr. Lumpkin has been popularly called "Colonel" Lumpkin for years, and now his title is officially established. He has been on a visit to his family home at Baltimore, and the good news was conveyed to him by the governor by wire.

Colonel Lumpkin is the ninth member of the governor's personal staff living in Kansas City, which is Governor Hadley's home, and the thirty-seventh of the total number throughout the state. The governor also has on his staff ten naval commanders.

Labels: ,

November 22, 1909


State Inspector Finds Hotel Men
Pleased to Get Certificates.

"It has been a great surprise to me that my deputies have met with as little opposition as they have," said Thomas L. Johnson of Jefferson City, state hotel inspector, at the Hotel Baltimore last night. "We feared when we started out on our tour of inspection that many of the hotel men would fight the new law, but we have been agreeably disappointed. We have found that the hotel men, as a rule, welcomed the inspector and in fact was proud of the certificate of inspection. In most places, having it framed and hung in the most conspicuous position in the house."

Mr. Johnson came here to confer with deputy William A. Osgood and to explain to some of the hotel men some of the provisions of the laws which they did not thoroughly understand. Mr. Johnson will remain in Kansas City until tomorrow evening.

Labels: , , ,

November 19, 1909


Mrs. Meyers Sighs for Freedom -- Did
Not Write Governor.

Mrs. Aggie Myers, the Kansas City woman serving a life sentence in the state penitentiary for the murder of her husband, says that prison life does not agree with her. In fact, she has grown thin and emaciated, and the hard work at the penitentiary is beginning to tell on her.

"She looks to be in poor health, worn and haggard by the drudgery and work in prison," said County Marshal Joel R. Mayes yesterday. Mr. Mayes returned yesterday from Jefferson City, where he took fifteen prisoners from the county jail. While at the penitentiary he had a talk with Mrs. Myers.

"Mrs. Myers," said the marshal, "denies having written the letter to the governor asking for a pardon. She says she does not know who wrote it. The first she heard of the letter, she told me, was when she read it in a Kansas City newspaper."

Labels: , , , , ,

October 5, 1909


Governor and Party at Mansion
Listen to Music at Sedalia.

Weil's concert band, assisted by the Sedalia Ladies' Musical Club, gave a sacred concert in the live stock pavilion at the Missouri state fair grounds, Sunday.

By special arrangement with the Bell telephone Company, the music was sent over the wires to the governor's mansion at Jefferson City where it was heard by the governor and Mrs. Hadley, and a large party assembled to hear it.

By the use of specially made megaphone receivers, the music was made plainly audible to the whole assemblage and was keenly enjoyed by them.

Labels: , , , ,

September 1, 1909


Recent Law, Marshal Says, Under
Actual Expense.

When the legislature enacted the recent law providing that a county marshal might collect only 3 cents per mile for taking prisoners to the penitentiary, it must have counted on a 2-cent fare. If such were in force the extra cent per mile would be sufficient to defray all expenses. As it now stands every prisoner taken to the prison will cost either the marshal or the state more than the law allows.

"It must be remembered," said Marshal Mayes yesterday, "that the penitentiary is a mile from the station in Jefferson City. Prisoners cannot be walked all that distance. We have been hiring a conveyance of some sort and could afford to do so under the old allowance for expenses. This way we cannot. The 3 cents per mile will just pay railroad fare and will not even feed the guards."

A stated recompense is fixed in the bill for guards, but nothing is said about feeding them or housing them in Jefferson City if they should be unable to catch a train back to Kansas City the same day.

Labels: , , ,

August 28, 1909


Steamboat Chester Will Carry Kan-
sas Cityans to New Orleans.

At a meeting held yesterday afternoon the directors of the Commercial Club enthusiastically accepted the invitation from St. Louis to send a steamboat representing Kansas City with the flotilla which will escort President Taft down the Mississippi river from St. Louis to the big waterways convention at New Orleans in October. Secretary E. M. Clendening was instructed to send notification of Kansas City's acceptance and to ask that the Kansas City boat be assigned a good place in the formation of the down-river fleet.

The steamboat Chester will carry the Kansas Cityans to New Orleans. It is the intention to begin the trip at the home dock, make stops at the towns down the Missouri river as far as Jefferson City and join the flotilla at St. Louis. This scheme, it is thought, is preferable to making the start at St. Louis and besides it will afford the Kansas Cityans an excellent opportunity to campaign for river improvement at Lexington, Glasgow, Boonville, Jefferson City and the other towns down the Missouri between here and the state capital.

The Chester has capacity for sixty passengers, and from the way applications for berths are coming in it is probable that they will be engaged long before the trip is to be taken. A band will be on board the boat, which will be gaily decorated. H. G. Wilson, transportation commissioner of the Commercial Club, will be in charge of the arrangements.

The boat will probably leave Kansas City on the afternoon of October 21, will reach St. Louis October 25 and will arrive at New Orleans October 31. It will be used as a floating hotel for the Kansas Cityans while at St. Louis and New Orleans.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

August 27, 1909


Meyer, Serving a 5-Year Term,
Changed Suits in Mansion.

JEFFERSON CITY, MO., Aug. 26. -- Justin Meyer, a Kansas City burglar doing a five-year sentence in the penitentiary, escaped this afternoon from the executive mansion. He was working as an electrician with a party of a dozen other convicts engaged in making repairs on the building. He is supposed to have gained access to a bedroom in an upper story where there was an old suit of clothes. His suit of stripes was found in this room. After getting rid of his convict garb he walked boldly out by the two guards and passed unnoticed by them. Meyer has served about two years of his sentence. A reward was offered for his capture by Warden Andrae tonight.

Labels: , , ,

August 17, 1909


Conductor Wulff Makes Fast Friend
of Little Girl.

When Victor L. Wulff, the Missouri Pacific passenger director at the Union depot, stepped off his train from Jefferson City yesterday it was with difficulty that he bade goodby to little Miss Eunice Farwell, 5 years old, of Denver. It was Wulff's knowledge of candymaking which broke the ice and in a few hours made him a staunch friend of the little girl.

Mrs. Farwell and her daughter were in the observation car and just after the train left Jefferson City little Eunice asked for candy. There was none on the train and the next stop was Kansas City. when her mother returned with the news Eunice's lips quivered.

"We'll get some candy," Mr. Wulff assured her. A syrup drummer who had heard about the child and the candy, proffered the contents of his sample case. Mr. Wulff took several bottles of syrup and in a short while he had the ingredients of taffy boiling on the range in the diner. As soon as it was cool enough to pull it was carried to the observation car where an old-fashioned candy pulling followed.

Labels: , , , , , ,

August 16, 1909


Hotel Housemaid Says Present Ones
are Long Enough for Men.

"I'll bet my week's salary that the majority of the men who voted for the nine-foot sheet bill were raised in places where if sheets were used at all they were changed but once a week, and then they were so short that they only covered the mattress," petulantly declared a pretty hotel housemaid as she discussed the nine-foot sheet law which goes into effect today.

"I'll go still farther, and wager that where they were raised that they were lucky to sleep on a sheet and that they never did have the luxury of sleeping between them. Sheets nine feet long are in the way. We cannot make up the beds so that they look like anything at all.

"Of course it is easy enough to handle the long sheets for the bottom sheet, but when it comes to turning them down over the counterpanes in the little ruffles which delight the eye of the guests, it will be no joke.

"The seven and one-half foot sheet is just the proper length. Those legislators say that they fear that germs and diseases may be communicated from bedding protected by sheets less than nine feet in length, but I want to tell you that a sheet seven and one-half foot long is plenty. That gives you a foot down over the covers and leaves plenty of spare sheeting so that his toes will not be left out in the cold."

Kansas City can lay claim to having the most expensive linen room in the country. A room in the Moore hotel, the walls of which are decorated with oil paintings and the floor laid with Italian encaustic tile will be the reposing place for the nine-foot sheets and other linen used at the hotel. The room, when it was decorated for a cafe a year ago, cost Mr. Moore $2,700. It was used as a cafe for a while.

Labels: ,

May 30, 1909



Twice a Member of Congress and a
Consul General, The Governor
Saw State Through Most
Strenuous Period.


Twice a member of congress, once the governor of his state, at another time consul general to Mexico and for the last eight years referee in bankruptcy, Thomas T. Crittenden died at dawn yesterday morning. Thursday afternoon the ex-governor sustained a stroke of apoplexy. While watching a ball game he fell unconscious from his seat and did not regain his mental faculties. Death came at 5:30 yesterday. Interment is to be made tomorrow afternoon in Forest Hill cemetery, after services at the family residence, 3230 Flora avenue.

With the former governor at the time of his death were all surviving members of the family save one, that one now traveling in Japan. The grief stricken family is Mrs. Crittenden, Thomas T. Crittenden, Jr., mayor of Kansas City; H. Houston Crittenden, and W. J. Crittenden. It is the latter who was unable to be at his distinguished father's side till the last.


With Governor Crittenden there died a man of parts, and all those parts true facts. He was a soldier of renown, having fought and won battles which turned form this state the tide of slavery. He was a courageous man, having, in the face of the enemy, been appointed to succeed a dismissed brigade commander because his senior had hesitated about making a charge which the division commander knew Crittenden was eager to make. He was a statesman, as his record in the congress of the United States and in Jefferson City shows. He was a man of commerce, as his most excellent direction of international commerce while consul general to Mexico bear out. He was a man of letters, widely read and collecting a magnificent library. He was a judge in equity, as is shown by the last eight years of his public service, and always, he was a gentleman.

Handsome of face, his bearing was striking. The last moment he was on his feet, with the weight of seventy-seven years on his shoulders and those added to by the infirmities of four years in the saddle during the civil war, he was straight as an arrow. Governor Crittenden had the bearing of a courtier. He was gracious always, charming his familiars and captivating his casual acquaintances. He spoke softly, chose his words and ever was anxious to do something for someone else. Never a moneymaker, he lived to see three splendid sons grow up to take care of that part of his affairs. Fond of public places, high ones, the old governor's happiness at seeing one of his sons become mayor of this city was taken by himself as an honor.


"Is this governor Crittenden?" would be asked.

"The mayor is my son," he would reply. The old governor enjoyed living all things in life.

He was a most thoughtful man. Obscurity found him delving. Great charities might take care of themselves, he would say, but little ones were hopeless, so he did little ones. Born in Shelby county, Ky., 77 years ago, he was born and bred a Democrat, and lived and died one, but he was a rampant Union man and helped raise a Union regiment with which he kept in the field throughout the war. He was of the Washington type, if history is to be believed.

Governor Crittenden believed in the dignity of the occasion. The men who fought under him and who yet live say he was almost a martinet within the regiment and at the same time a father to the men. As governor he lived up to his high office. When Madam Patti first visited Missouri someone proposed a ceremonial visit. Patti said it was like going to Windsor Castle. And yet this same man undertook to break up the James gang, summarily granted a pardon to a malefactor who had been the agent of destruction and paternally took the hand of a surviving member of the gang, Frank James. Nor did the kindly man ever lose sight of the objects of his official stoicism, for one of his constant correspondents and visitors was this same Frank James.


No situation was too perplexing for Governor Crittenden. He was governor when Missouri was in the transition stage. The war had not long been over. Democrats, he being one, were fighting to capture everything. The James boys were turned highwaymen and their names were associated with the contemporaneous history of the state. They lowered its level and defied capture. Missouri had had one governor who confessed inability to cope with the situation. Probably profiting by his experience in the war, Governor Crittenden made overtures to Bob Ford, a member of the James gang, and through that means encompassed the destruction of the band. Ford killed Jesse, and Frank, the second brother, surrendered. What in other states would have meant a feud for a generation was dismissed by the clever work of Governor Crittenden as soon as it was over.

No one was forgotten by Governor Crittenden. Had Dickens known him he would have gone into literature with other notable characters. As early as 1870 there was a man came to Kansas City to make some political speeches for the governor. Two years ago that man's dead body was found in squalor. The first hand to get into a purse to buy a grave and a casket was the hand of the old governor. He got not a little of his pleasure out of his personal acts of charity to his personal acquaintances.

It was a pleasure to know the old governor. He was always affable and sunny. He was comforting in sorrow and refreshing always. In his long life he was always busy, and yet he did no great things. He was a monument to the man who has not done great things in that he showed how really much an ordinary man can do with credit to himself and yet keep within the orbit of the ordinary man.

Labels: , , , , , ,

May 19, 1909


St. Mary's has 250 Beds, and Sev-
enty-Two of These Will
Be Free.

St. Mary's hospital at Twenty-eighth and Main streets was dedicated yesterday morning. Solemn high mass was celebrated by Rev. Father O. J. S. Hoog, vicar general of St. Louis. All of the Kansas City Catholic clergy, and about fifty priests from outside, participated. After mass a breakfast was served and addresses were made by Bishop Thomas F. Lillis, Mayor Thomas T. Crittenden, Jr., and Frank P Walsh. A public reception was held in the afternoon and at night.

The Sisters of St. Mary of St. Louis, which order maintains hospitals in St. Louis, St. Charles, Jefferson City and Chillicothe, launched the project for a similar institution here. The Sisters met with the energetic co-operation of Kansas City men and women in building the hospital.

Together with the grounds the building cost $150,000. It is four stories high and measures 222x76 feet. It contains 250 beds. Of these, seventy-two are free. The medical staff has not been chosen.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

May 12, 1909



Rough Hewn Blocks of Red St.
Francois Granite Will Per-
petuate the Route of
St. Francois Granite Marker on the Santa Fe Trail

JEFFERSON CITY, May 11. -- From Old Franklin, Howard county, to Westport, rough hewn blocks of St. Francois granite will mark the old Santa Fe trail, the path of the pioneers, across Missouri.

By a vote of 98 to 31 the house today passed the bill already passed by the senate, appropriating $3,000 for that purpose, and it now is ready for the governor's signature, which Representative Glover Branch is assured will be appended.

The bill passed today contemplates the erection at intervals from Old Franklin, in Howard county, through Mrashall, Grand Pass, Lexington, Independence and Kansas City, of markers, roughly hewn from blocks of Missouri granite, the red mottled variety, quarried in St. Francois county, with a polished face on one side bearing the inscription:

Santa Fe Trail
1822 - 1872
Marked by the
Daughters of the American Revolution
and the
State of Missouri

One of the freighters who took ox trains over the trail regularly was H. G. Branch, father of the member who today had the bill passed to have the route of the pioneers perpetuated.

The Path of the Santa Fe Trail in Missouri.

Colorado appropriated $2,000 to mark the trail through the southeast corner of that state, and Kansas appropriated half as much, a sum which is to be increased.

Labels: , , , ,

May 8, 1909


Senate Passes House Bill to Raise
Pay in Kansas City.

JEFFERSON CIT Y, May 7. -- Kansas City's two senators fell out at tonight's session over a house bill to raise the Kansas City police bill $50,000 a year. The bill, which eventually was passed, will raise the pay of the chief from $3,000 to $4,000, the inspector of detectives from $2,400 to $2,800, secretary of the board from $1,800 to $2,100, captains from $1,500 to $1,800, lieutenants from $1,200 to $1,500, sergeants from $1,080 to $1,200, patrolmen from $960 to $1,080, probationers from $720 to $780, in all $50,540 a year. Senator Casey favored the bill. Senator Greene opposed it.

"It is costing every man in Kansas City $2.50 a year now for the police protection he gets," said Senator Greene. "The patrolman and sergeants should get more pay. I favor that, but I hold that the higher officers, in their offices, run no more than ordinary risks, and I ask you to leave them at their present wages. Our council has found only $450,000 available for the police this year. This bill, if it is passed, will make a draft on the council for $600,000. It is more than the city can stand."

The bill as originally drawn, however, was passed with an emergency clause.

The senate passed the Rosenberger bill to legally declare billiard and pool games of chance, so as to make it illegal to bet on them. Until now the supreme court has held them games of skill, and so not within the scope of the gambling act.

The senate is to meet tomorrow to pass upon the revision bills only, no regular bills to be taken up on their reading till 3:30 Monday afternoon.

Labels: , ,

May 4, 1909


Kansas City Delegation Is Disap-
pointed in Lack of Interest.

JEFFERSON CITY, MO., May 3.-- Kansas City's delegation in the house was greatly disappointed this afternoon when the committee on appropriations sent the Santa Fe trail appropriation bill asking for $3,000 back to the house without recommendation.

The fact that the committee has refused to appropriate anything for the markers will go a long way towards preventing its passage when its time arrives to be voted on.

Representative Glover Branch of Lexington, who introduced the bill, thinks he will be able to get it through, but the Kansas City members think differently.

Labels: , , ,

April 29, 1909


Governor's Staff at Mansion Hop in
Honor of Colonel Andrae.

JEFFERSON CITY, April 28. -- Governor Herbert S. Hadley tonight gave a dance in honor of Colonel Henry Andrae, warden of the state penitentiary and a member of the governor's staff,, who is to be married tomorrow to Miss Gussie Neff.

For the event the governor invited all the members of his official staff, and about twenty of them reported in full regimentals. None made a braver showing than Colonel E. S. Jewett of Kansas City, who was in full uniform, and smothered in gold lace.

Labels: , , , , , ,

April 27, 1909



Man Who Told of Robbery at
Camden Point Is Confronted
With One Serving Sen-
tence for Crime.

The horror of spending several years in the Missouri penitentiary for robbery is not going to befall William Turner, the confessed safe blower of the Camden Point bank, who says that himself and three "pals" looted the place the night of December 27, 1907. Harry O'Neal, one of the robbers who was captured the day after the robbery and who was convicted, was brought from Jefferson City yesterday and after looking at Turner declared that he had never seen him before.

Turner's story was doubted when he "confessed" to the prosecuting attorney. The confession did not conform to the facts as the county attorney or Platte, who was called in, knew. The statement of O'Neal did not correspond. That Turner was not sincere in his confession was assured when he arrived in Platte City. Although he told the officers all about the robbery and wrote a description of the ways and manners of safe blowers, he refused to plead guilty.


As Turner was the only witness who seemed to know anything about the matter and as he had refused to plead guilty, O'Neal was the only one who could tell whether Turner took part in the robbery. Governor H. S. Hadley and the warden of the penitentiary gave consent to O'Neal's removal to Kansas City to get a glimpse of his "pal."

Soon after his removal to Platte City, Turner was brought back to Kansas City and placed in the county jail. The authorities of Platte county were afraid the jail there was not safe. He was taken from the county jail to police headquarters Saturday and O'Neal was placed in the holdover.

Yesterday afternoon the "pals" met in Captain Whitsett's office. There was not a sign of recognition on O'Neal's part when he came into the room. He had not been told why he had been brought to Kansas City. Turner, who had been taken to the captain's office from the holdover when O'Neal was brought in, did not recognize his "pal" apparently.

"Do you know that man," Turner was asked.

"I don't remember his face," he replied.


The same questions were asked O'Neal, but he did not recall Turner as an acquaintance. When he was informed that the slightly built, well-dressed young man was his supposed partner in the bank raid, O'Neal took a second look.

"That feller a 'yeg?' Not much," he said.

As he is wanted in Sapulpa, Ok., on a charge of larceny, Turner will be held until the authorities from that state can be communicated with. The charge of bank robbery will not be dismissed against him until the Oklahoma authorities arrive.

Labels: , , , , ,

April 24, 1909



May Pass Senate, but Is Sure of
Defeat in the House -- Senator
Wilson Framed the

JEFFERSON CITY, April 23. -- A street car Jim Crow bill has been introduced in the senate. This is the Oliver bill, which in its original form was to have applied to steam railroads only. The bill turned up this morning amended so as to apply to street cars.

The street car amendment was put on it by Senator F. M. Wilson of Platte, a personal and political friend of the mayor of Kansas City, Thomas T. Crittenden, Jr., the mayor having loaded the senator from Platte up with reasons why the street cars of Kansas City should be arranged to segregate the races.

The amendment was not put on without much maneuvering, and while the bill may pass the senate in this form it is absolutely certain to be defeated in the house.

When asked for his reason for making the bill apply to street cars Senator Wilson said:

"If it is desirable the races should be separated on the steam cars, they ought to be separated in the street cars. Kansas City, so I understand, has something like 30,000 negroes living there. Without advancing any reason for providing separate places for them I merely refer to the state's reason for providing separate schools, the Kansas City park board excluding them from the public bath house and the church custom of letting them flock by themselves.

"The negroes prefer to be to themselves, as shown by their church habits. Accordingly, they must want to be by themselves in the street cars."

Labels: , , ,

March 17, 1909


Are Afraid the Refinery Is Going to
Close Up.

JEFFERSON CITY, March 16. -- There was never a more pathetic little delegation called upon any governor than tonight called upon Mr. Hadley. It was made up of workmen from the Sugar Creek district who have been building homes near the oil refinery.

In it were Frank Woodward, George V. Hackett, W. H. Harvey, B. F. Karkin and Edward Linn. The delegation called first on Representative N. R. Holcomb, who made an appointment for a meeting with the governor.

"We are all working men, governor," said Harvey, "and we have started to build homes for our families. The plasterers are ready to go to work in some of our houses. We have been told that the oil works are to be closed and that every one of us will be thrown out of work and our homes destroyed. Is it true?"

"I can not tell you what will be the ultimate outcome in law, but I can tell you that I do not think you need lose any sleep over your work or your homes," said the governor.

"How long will it take to get a final decision?" Woodward asked.

"It will take several months to get the case on the supreme court docket, and then six or nine months to get it argued," the governor answered. "When it is all done, I think the refinery will still be running. You are, like many others, laboring under a misapprehension. The decision of the court puts the Standard Oil Company out of the state, but it does not put the Sugar Creek refinery out of the state," the governor concluded.

Labels: , , ,

March 2, 1909



Bodies of A. H. Tuttle, Civil War
Veteran, and His Wife, Discovered
in Residence -- Grate and
Heater Burning.

Last night, when Captain Jack Burns of fire company No. 18 entered the house of A. H. Tuttle, 2617 East Twenty-fifth street, and found an aged man and his wife both dead, Tuttle lying on his side on the floor and his wife sitting in a chair in the front room of the house. A gas grate and an overhead gas heater in the room were burning.

The first intimation of a tragedy was discovered by A. M. Weed, a solicitor for the Wells-Fargo Express Company. Captain Tuttle, as he was familiarly called, has been an employe of the express company for the past twenty-five years. When he failed to appear at the depot yesterday morning, for the first time in years, it was thought he was ill. Mr. Weed called at the house about 2:30 o'clock yesterday afternoon and failing to get a response to repeated ringing of the door bell, walked around the house. He questioned a little girl playing in the yard as to whether Tuttle lived the4re, and if she had seen either of them that day. The girl replied that she had not seen either of them since Sunday morning. Weed found the milk on the back porch and the morning papers on the front porch.


Mr. Weed returned to the office and reported to H. B. Jeffereies, assistant agent, that he suspected something wrong. Mr. Jefferies visited the house at 6 o'clock and after investigating saw the blue flame of the gas heater, which is attached to the gas jet, through a side window. He went to the front porch and putting his hand on the large plate glass window found it to be hot. He called W. W. Hunt, who lives at 2619 East Twenty-fifth street, and after a consultation sent a boy to No. 18 fire station for a ladder. Captain Burns and one of his men responded and entered the house through an upstairs window.

"As soon as I opened the window I could smell the gas fumes and the still more horrible odor of decaying human flesh," said Captain Burns. "It was necessary to light matches to see in the ho use as most of the curtains were drawn. The heat was intense. Coming down the stairs the heat was more noticeable and gas fumes made breathing difficult. In the parlor, off the reception hall, we found the old couple; Captain Tuttle lying on the floor and Mrs. Tuttle sitting in her Morris chair in front of the burning grate, her head over on her breast as if in sleep."


Mr. Jefferies and Mr. Hunt went into the house and opened the doors and windows. Coroner's physician, Dr. Harry Czarlinsky, was called and declared that the death had occurred thirty-six hours earlier. He said that asphyxiation from inhaling carbon monoxide was the cause of death. Carbon monoxide is the fumes from imperfect combustion of natural gas, and is similar to that given off my burning anthracite coal.

Before noon Sunday morning Mrs. Tuttle went to a neighbor, Mrs. Jackson, at 2515 East Twenty-fifth street, and borrowed a cupful of sugar, saying she was going to make a custard pie. This was the last time she was seen alive. Other neighbors had seen the couple earlier in the day.

From the appearance of the house, those acquainted with Captain and Mrs. Tuttle declared that they had evidently just gotten up from the breakfast table. The breakfast dishes had been washed and were on the dining table, covered with a cloth. Captain Tuttle's razor, shaving brush, mug and strop were lying on the kitchen table.

W. L. Cowing, 2506 Montgall, said that Mr. and Mrs. Tuttle were to have gone with him to Shawnee Sunday afternoon to look over some land. "I saw them yesterday morning," said Mr. Cowing last night, "and they both declared they would go. When I came to the house in the afternoon I got no response to my ringing of the doorbell and concluded they had gone ahead of me."

Rev. R. P. Witherspoon, 1601 Belmot avenue, brother of Mrs. Tuttle, was called form the Gypsy Smith meeting and arrived at the house after 9 o'clock. He was shocked at the news. He said that he had never known a happier or more devoted couple.

"My sister and her husband have led an ideal life," he said, "and had it not been for neighbors and friends this thing might have gone unnoticed for days. They loved each other and everyone around them, and were loved by them in turn."


Captain Tuttle served in the Sixteenth Ohio regiment of infantry in the civil war. Shortly after the war he became a director in the Missouri penitentiary at Jefferson City, where he remained several years. He afterwards went to Warrensburg, Mo., and engaged in business. Twenty-five years ago he joined the messenger service of the Wells Fargo Express Company and remained with them until his death.

Promotions came one after another, until he became money deliverer and one of the most trusted employes of the company. His superiors and associates declare that his word was as good as a bond. It is said that the company has offered several times to retire him on a pension, but that he has steadily refused, saying that he must be around and doing something or he couldn't feel right. He drew $36 a month as pension from the government.

Three sons survive the couple. They are Lloyd Tuttle, a salesman for the Ferguson-McKinney Dry Goods Company in St. Louis; Charles P. Tuttle of Coalinga, Cal., and Harry Tuttle of St. Paul, Minn. Mr. Tuttle has a brother living in Creston, O., and Mrs. Tuttle has a sister, Mrs. T. J. Claggett, Marshall, Mo., and two brothers, Charles Witherspoon, Mansfield, Tex., and the Rev. R. P. Witherspoon of this city.

The bodies were taken to Carroll-Davidson's undertaking rooms on Grand avenue. News of the deaths has been telegraphed to the sons and the funeral arrangements will await their arrival in this city.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

February 20, 1909


First Negro Lobbyist in the
State of Missouri.

JEFFERSON CITY, MO., Feb. 19. -- Dr. T. C. Unthank, a negro of Kansas City, is the first Afro-American to sign the book of "legislative visitations." He registered to day as a "lobbyist" for the measure of seeking to establish a state reformator for incorrigible negro girls.

Labels: , ,

February 20, 1909


Mass Meeting in Kansas City Sunday
to Voice Opposition.

JEFFERSON CITY, Feb. 19. -- A row is brewing here over the several bills which have been introduced to establish a public printing plant in the penitentiary. Charles W. Fear, legislative agent for one of the trade unions is sowing the senate and house with copies of a Journal editorial of two days ago condemning the plan to have convicts print the textbooks for Missouri school children.

"We are not opposed to the state making the convicts work, and we are in favor of the state teaching these men trades, but we are opposed to one particular industry having to bear the brunt of the proposed new system. It will be a crime to attack the printer in this way."

A mass meeting has been called for Kansas City on Sunday to protest against the enactment of a bill introduced by Representative Coakley of Kansas City.

Labels: , ,

January 12, 1909


Reception at Executive Mansion and
Dancing at Madison House.

JEFFERSON CITY, Jan. 11. -- (Special.) Never before has there been a more brilliant inaugural ball than the one given tonight in honor of Governor Herbert S. Hadley. The crowd at the mansion calling on the Governor and Mrs. Hadley was so great that it was early seen that there would be no room for dancing, so the old dancing room of the Madison house was requisitioned. To this place the guests of the governor and first lady of the state were ushered after they had paid their respects at the official residence.

There was no grand march, the dancing being most in formal. The entire time of the governor was taken up receiving guests at the mansion. The grand old house, admittedly one of the most imposing official residences in the country, was one mass of cut and growing flowers and plants. Musicians occupied a place under the grand staircase, and it was intended to have the ball in the great reception hall and the salons.

The Governor and Mrs. Hadley received in the main hall, but were forced to retire to one of the adjoining rooms to permit dancing, which began shortly before 9 p. m. in the mansion, and by 9:30 in the Madison.

The prevailing intense cold weather caused many to telegraph their congratulations from the large towns and cities, but nevertheless the assembly was large and brilliant.

Labels: , , ,

January 12, 1909





Batteries Fire Salute of Seventeen
Guns in Honor of the New
Executive -- Hadley De-
fines Policies.
Herbert Spencer Hadley, Governor of Missouri

JEFFERSON CITY, Jan 11. -- (Special.) With the inauguration today of Herbert S. Hadley, Missouri, for the first time in nearly forty years, has a Republican governor.

Governor Hadley was inducted into office in a snowstorm. A week ago Governor Joseph W. Folk informally surrendered the mansion house to Mr. and Mrs. Hadley, but in order to have everything ceremonial today, the Folks and Hadleys returned to their old homes. At 11 o'clock Governor Folk left the mansion house, attended by the Third regiment of infantry from Kansas City, and a detachment of artillerymen from St. Louis, and made a ceremonial call upon Mr. Hadley, traveling in a carriage.

Mr. Hadley joined the retiring governor in the carriage, and the two made their way to the capitol, reaching there shortly before noon. The retiring and incoming state officials, excepting the lieutenant governor and the claimants, were assembled in the executive offices. When the party was completed by the arrival of Mr. Hadley and Governor Folk, all of them went to the house of representatives to be sworn in.


The hall was packed to its full capacity, and there was tumult in the corridors, caused by hundreds fighting for admittance, which they were unable to gain. The members of the supreme court occupied the speaker's stand, Justice Henry Lamm acting as president. He is the only Republican member of the supreme court.

With little ado Mr. Hadley, walking by the side of the retiring governor, went to where Mr. Justice Lamm was standing, and, being told by the justice to do so, raised his hand and the administration of the oath began.

John C. McKinley, the retiring lieutenant governor, acting as president of the joint session of the legislature which was in session for the inaugural, caused some apprehension when, because of the noise in the corridor, he loudly ordered the sergeant-at-arms to "eject the disturbers from the state house."


The prospect of hostilities caused the chief justice to pause in the administration of his oath. Hie own hand, which had been raised aloft, dropped to his side. Mr. Hadley did not do this. His hand was up for keeps, and he kept it there until the justice could resume and conclude. A

As soon as Governor Hadley was in office and Governor Folk automatically out of office the other officers were lined up and sworn in en masse. These were James Cowgill, treasurer; John D. Gordon, auditor; Cornelius Roach, secretary of state; Elliot W. Majors, attorney general; John A. Knott, railroad and warehouse commissioner.

Cannons began booming after the inauguration announcing the fact to the world, whereupon Governor Hadley made his inaugural address. He said:

"In the performance of the duties of the office of governor, my sole ambition and desire will be to continue to deserve the confidence and approval of the people of Missouri.

"Forty years have come and gone since a candidate of the Republican party was inaugurated as governor of this state. It will be sufficient for the purposes of this occasion to learn from the last half century of Missouri's history a lesson of conservatism and official fairness in the conduct of public affairs. And the political differences need not interfere with the performance of official duties, has been emphasized during the course of the last four years. For during that time, the state officials, partly of one party, and partly of another, have worked together in complete harmony and effectiveness.

"And the people have thus learned that no political party is entirely bad, and that no political party can claim a monopoly of official honesty and virtue.

"It is also necessary that we should be ever mindful of the fact that the powers of government are divided between the legislative, the executive and the judicial departments. While the rights and authority of each are intimately related with the others, yet it is also necessary that each should exercise its own powers, without interference from the others.


"There will be no questions considered by you which are more important than those connected with the work of education. It has been frequently charged that too much money is being expended for the conduct of the state university. I do not believe that there is any substantial basis of complaint on account of any disparity in the distribution of revenues of the state between the state university and the other parts of our educational system.

"But that something is wrong with our work of education is readily apparent by the examination of the statistics as to the illiteracy of our children of school age. According to the statistics of 1900, among the forty-eight states of the national Union, our rank in literacy was 31.

"It is worthy of notice that Missouri is one of four states in the Union that has no provision for superintendents of schools in each county of the state. And the fact that the other three states, namely Louisiana, Arkansas and Mississippi all have a lower rank of literacy than Missouri may tend to explain this unsatisfactory condition.

"While I claim no special knowledge or experience in matters of education, I do feel that the effectiveness of the common schools of the state must be raised if we are to make any substantial progress in the correction of the present unsatisfactory conditions.

"In no department of work has greater progress been made than in the study and investigation of agriculture, horticulture and the raising and care of live stock. The importance of this work in increasing the wealth and happiness of the people of the state cannot be overestimated. There should be no lack of funds to carry on this work in the most thorough manner possible.

"Under the scientific direction of the representatives of the state, and those whom it educates, should be conducted: The investigation of mineral deposits; the means of improving fertility and productivity of the soil; the growth and conservation of our forests; the use of our water power; the development of our water highways; the improvement of the conditions of life and the protection of the health and welfare of our people.


"The Missourian has bee the great pioneer. Missouri was the first state lying wholly west of the Mississippi to be admitted to the union. Maine entered the Union upon the shoulders of Missouri.

"For forty years Missouri stood as an outpost of civilization, reaching out into the unknown and undeveloped West. From her borders radiated those two great highways of Western exploration, travel, commerce and of conquest, on ending in the Northwest on the shores of the Pacific, and the other in the Southwest, in the land of the Mexican and the Spaniard. And along these great highways marched those hardy Missouri pioneers, hunters, trappers, traders and soldiers who were to bind our national domain, that great empire that lies between the Mississippi and the Pacific, by stronger ties than treaties and laws.

"The Missourian has been the pioneer of the West, leading the westward march of civilization across the American continent.

"The glory of Missouri is not alone in the glory that comes from things done in the past. She lives today in the active, throbbing, eager life of the civilization of the twentieth century. And in that great moral awakening which has swept across the country, creating an increased interest in the exercise of the duties of citizenship, raising the standard of honesty and efficiency in the public service and in the working out of those great problems which, as the product of our complex and commercialized civilization, confront us today, Missouri has also been something of a pioneer."

Labels: , , , ,

January 11, 1908


Kansas City Republicans Leave for
Jefferson City on Special Train.

It was a shivering crowd of soldiers and citizens which rushed from the street cars to the warmth of the Union depot in Kansas City at midnight last night. They were members of Kansas City's delegation which left on two special trains over the Missouri Pacific at 12:30 and 1 o'clock this morning for Jefferson City to attend the inauguration of Governor Herbert S. Hadley. The special train bearing the Third Regiment, Missouri national guard, pulled out for Jefferson City shortly before 1 o'clock. The special train bearing the Kansas City politicians and friends of Governor Hadley did not leave until after 1 o'clock.

The Kansas City special was made a part of the St. Joseph, Mo., special. In spite of the cold there was plenty of elation in the departure. Brass bands and plenty of enthusiasm made some of the brave travelers who were waiting for trains venture out on the platform right in the face of the blizzard from the north to see the display of the Kansas City political spirit.

But there were many among the Kansas City delegation who are not politicians. Some were business and professional men, friends of Governor Hadley, who wanted to see Kansas City well represented at the inauguration and who wanted to extend friendly greetings to the new governor.

"It has been more than one score years and ten since we Republicans -- " began a St. Joseph, Mo., politician who wanted to make a speech of welcome to the Kansas City delegation as they climbed aboard the special. But he was interrupted with "Save your ammunition until four years hence, when another Republican governor will be elected."

"It's too great a tax on the memory to recall incidents that happened thirty-seven years ago when the only Republican governor we have elected in that period was inaugurated," remonstrated a Kansas City man.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

January 9, 1909


Monday, January 11, 1909, at Jef-
ferson City, Mo.

This is to notify all Republicans that desire to be present at the inauguration of the first Republican governor of Missouri since the civil war, that the Republican clubs of Kansas city will have a special train to Jefferson City via the Missouri Pacific railway.

The train will be at readiness to receive passengers at Kansas City Union depot, Sunday evening, January 10, at 11:50, and will arrive at Jefferson City at 7 a. m. Monday.

Tickets will be good going only on the special train.

Excursion tickets can be secured from any of the following members of the Republican special train committee:

Roy S. Davis, 1002 N. Y. Life; E. A. Norris, Ricksecker bldg; H. E. Barker, 15th & McGee; Leo Koehler, city hall; W. E. Griffin, 810 N. Y. Life bldg., or Missouri Pacific city ticket office, No. 901 Main street.

Labels: , , , , ,

January 8, 1909


Third Regiment to Play Important
Part in Inaugural Ceremonies.

"All plans for the visit of the Third regiment, M. N. G., in Jefferson City have been perfected," said Colonel Cusil Lechtman last night. "The regiment will depart at 12 o'clock Sunday night on the special train, arriving at Jefferson City Monday morning. The boys will go in full dress uniform and looking as spick and span as possible.

"The regiment will form and march to the residence of Governor Folk, escort him to the residence of Governor Hadley and then escort both to the capitol, where the regiment will pass in review before them. After inaugural ceremonies the boys will be at liberty, which will probably give them the afternoon in Jefferson city. The train will return home to Kansas City Tuesday night.

Labels: , , , ,

November 28, 1908





Because of These Threats the Judge
Declines to Surrender Bench
Until His Commission Ex-
pires -- His Statement.

"Since I have taken office I have received many threatening letters on account of my attitude as to Sunday law enforcement."

This sentence, delivered near the close of an address of ninety minutes' duration, startled the hearers of Judge William H. Wallace from their lethargy yesterday afternoon. For the greater part of that time they had sat with half closed eyes, especially the policemen who were witnesses in city appeal cases, while the judge expounded his reasons for wishing to continue on the bench until January 1. The legal precedents and cases cited by the court had almost lulled the coppers, who had worked all night and who wanted to sleep, into the land of Nod. Then came mention of threatening letters and open eyes.

"These letters have come from all parts of the country," continued the judge. "From Denver, where they shoot ministers in the pulpit; from Paterson, N. J., the hotbed of anarchy; from Chicago, St. Louis, and other cities. One man wrote that he hoped to be present to witness, within five years, my execution. Another spoke of bringing a rope. Still another has written to me every day a postal card not fit to go through the mails."


By this time the judge's audience was very much awake. The story of the threatening letters had never been alluded to in any of Wallace's former explanations or statements. The judge continued to state that the enforcement of the law was a thing that had to come, saying in this connection:

"God directed the bullet that was fired at Francis J. Heney in San Francisco so that it would not interfere with the enforcement of the law."

Judge Wallace commenced his statement by letting another secret escape. It was to the effect that E. C. Crow, formerly attorney general of Missouri, had given him legal advice upon which he based his contention that he should hold office until January 1. The basis of Mr. Crow's opinion was the act of 1871, which created the criminal court. Judge Wallace said that court decisions had failed to disturb this act.

"And besides," said Judge Wallace, speaking of the succession as soon as a successor qualifies, "is it good law? If so, then the appointive judge is absolutely at the caprice of the man who comes in and that ends it. The new judge might want to come in in two weeks, maybe in four. The man in office has some rights.


"Take my case, for instance. I was to have delivered on Monday night an address before the Sabbath Association of America, a national gathering. Then this judgeship muddle came up and I was forced to decline. I was also invited to join, in the East, in the organization of a world-wide law enforcement league. I could not go on account of this matter."

Then, after citing a number of cases of what might happen if there was no judge of the criminal court, Judge Wallace said:

"Of course there are a lot of fellows who say: 'If there is a technical case, dump Wallace. No matter if it is reasonable or not. The public demands it.' But see what the constitution says and the statutes," and the supreme court and so on for an hour and a half.

Then the tired policemen were told to go home and return again on Monday.

Judge Wallace made a hurried exit from the court room at 5 o'clock. "If I can get into my house and get my grip I will go to Jefferson City tonight," were his parting words. He is to confer with Attorney General H. S. Hadley tomorrow.

Labels: , , , , ,

November 3, 1908


Disabilities in Case of Dr. Goddard
Removed by Folk.

JEFFERSON CITY, MO., Nov. 2. -- (Special.) Dr. J. D. Goddard of Kansas City, who recently completed a long term in the penitentiary, had his disabilities removed by an order from Governor Folk today. Dr. Goddard was sentenced for twenty years on conviction of murder in second degree. Governor Dockery cut this time to ten years. The doctor was released under this commutation last month. At the penitentiary his medical knowledge was utilized in the hospital, and it is said that he was really on duty night and day. He is now said to be at Pleasant Hill, Mo.

Labels: , ,

November 1, 1908


Forty-Four Years Ago
Kansas Cityans United
to Tender Him an In-
formal Reception.

Forty-four years ago last week Kansas City was in a turmoil of excitement. Citizens were in arms and daily expecting a raid from General Price. From the meager information that could be secured at the time, and always several days late, General Price was first at Jefferson City and then, a few days later, had left there and was marching West with his entire force.

Obviously, he was headed for Kansas City, the gateway to Kansas. The news brought with it a frenzy of excitement and military and civic authorities joined in a hurried fortification of the city. Bushwackers were still prevalent at that time and were causing considerable trouble. An idea of the general consternation that prevailed may be gained from the files of the Western Journal of Commerce under the date of October 15, 1864. Here are some of the items, most of which relate particularly to military matters:
The governor of Kansas has called out the entire state militia of that state. This is a most wise and necessary step, but it ought to have been done several days sooner.

Telegraphic communication was maintained with Jefferson City yesterday all day. Our forces still hold that place. There had been cannonading all day, some five miles out, at the front we suppose. The longer Price waits there, the less likelihood that he will get away at all. General Rosecrans, we may be sure, is not idle.

The telegraph dispatches to General Curtis show us what danger we are in. Are any efficient measures being taken to prepare for the storm which may suddenly burst upon us? If Kansas City falls, the whole of Kansas is open to devastation. What is done to meet the danger should be done quickly.

We learn that a gang of bushwhackers robbed Mr. Warnel, about four miles from Westport, living close to the state line, night before last. They took his watch, money and all his clothing, even to the coat on his back and his underclothing, also two horses. There were eight in the gang. Other parties were robbed near the same neighborhood.

Captain Greer of the Twelfth Kansas, stationed near Shawnee Mission, immediately sent out a scout in pursuit, who followed them some twenty-five miles, crossing the Blue at Bryan's ford, but were unable to overhaul them. A part of the horses they rode were shod and a part unshod.

We learn that intelligence was received in town yesterday that Price had abandoned Jefferson City and was marching West. Rosecrans, we will venture, is close on his track and he will have to make tracks lively if he escapes. We do not believe Price meditates coming here, but he may send a detachment up this way to make a diversion in his own favor. We should be on the alert for such a movement.

We do not wish to seem to obtrude suggestions upon our city or military authorities, but we are certainly of the opinion that no time should be lost in throwing up rifle pits and breastwork to guard the approaches of this town. If we should have the attack of any considerable body of the enemy to repel, such intrenchments would be most important. The whole experience of the war has shown that behind even hastily constructed intrenchments new troops will fight well and can repulse vastly superior numbers.

We ought not to wait until the enemy are fairly upon us before we attend to this matter. It should be done now. Even if this storm passes over with damage, the intrenchments will be good for the future. The town ought to have been permanently fortified three years ago.

The city presented a purely military aspect yesterday. All places of business were closed early in the day and the men were busily at work on the fortifications. The works are progressing finely, and are already very formidable.

A lot of artillery arrived in town last evening.

Theater - The excitement being somewhat over, the manager will reopen with a splendid bill tonight. Let every one attend, if it is only to get soothed.
Also see: The Battle of Westport, October 23, 1864

Labels: , , ,

October 24, 1908



Former Minister to Liberia Taught
First Negro School in Mis-
souri -- Addresses Negro
Hadley Meeting.

From slavery into the diplomatic service cost J. Milton Turner a life of effort, but he had time on the side to educate the negroes of Missouri and help 'em out in Kansas. Turner, who was the principal speaker at the negro Hadley meeting last night in the Rev. Dr. Hurst's church at Independence avenue and Charlotte street, came here yesterday for the first time in a great many years.

There wasn't any reception committee at the depot to greet him, so he strolled up to Ninth and Main streets to have a look at the site of the first negro school in Missouri. Turner taught that school. It was supported by Jesse James, and most of the legal advice and diplomatic stunts necessary to keep a Confederate school board from running Turner out of the community came from Colonel R. T. Van Horn.

Turner said last night that he came here in '67 to get the Republican separate school law into effect. There wasn't a negro school in the state when he landed, although the law provided that there should be in every district where there were over twenty pupils. The school board of '60 and '61 had gone off to join the Confederate army, and had returned and arbitrarily taken up their old duties and were then finishing up their terms in office. They got back to duty just in time to confront the separate school law, which Republicans had placed on the books and which the Democrats have been claiming credit for ever since.


Turner wanted to start a school, but the Confederate school board here wouldn't recognize either him or the law. Turner said yesterday that Colonel R. T. Van Horn secured a carpenter shop for him at Ninth and Main streets and told him to get busy. Turner had a wife, but no furniture, and a generous storekeeper gave him cloth to make a partition and goods boxes to make tables. The board refused to pay his salary and he lived in the carpenter shop and taught school in a corner of it the entire winter without pay.

"Jesse James used to ride in and shoot up the town," said Turner. "He was in sympathy with the school. When he was ready to leave the town he used to ride up and demand to see the n----- school teacher. I would go out trembling and admit that I was the teacher.

"Are they paying you?" Jesse James would ask. When I told him no he would hand me a $10 bill and ride away. He was about the only cash patron I had."

In the spring, after his first term, the carpenter returned and offered to sell Turner his place, 200 feet on Main street and seventy-five feet on Ninth street, for $300, and offered to trust the negro for the money. Turner thought the carpenter was crazy and declined, taking a summer job as a bootblack in a hotel on the Kansas side of the border.


Getting into Kansas got Turner into more trouble. Susan B. Anthony and Mary Cady Stanton and Jim Lane and a bunch began to espouse woman's suffrage about that time, and the issue became woman's suffrage against negro suffrage. But Turner extricated himself and got back to Kansas City, where, he said yesterday, a Dutchman who had been elected to the school board settled up with him for all the back salary and rehired him for teacher.

Then Turner went down the river on a steamboat, and Joseph L. Stephens got him to stop off at Boonville and teach the second negro school in the state. Stephens paid the bill. Stephens afterwards got to be father of a governor of Missouri. Thomas Parker, then state superintendent of instruction, heard of the negro educator and sent for him. He appointed Turner second assistant, but said he did not have an y money to meet his salary. Turner worked for nothing until he was also named second assistant by the Freedman's bureau at Washington and assigned to Missouri and Kansas territory. This paid $125 a month. The Missouri Pacific railway gave the transportation and Turner began to travel about establishing negro schools. He put in 140, and then discovered there wasn't a negro in his territory who could read or write, and he was up against it for teachers.

News didn't travel fast in those days, and it was a long time before Turner learned that a negro regiment on the battlefield had voted to appropriate $5,000 to build the Lincoln institute at Jefferson City. Turner got busy and called a convention at the state capital, had 790 negroes there, and invited the general assembly to look on. That night members of the general assembly went down and donated $1,000 toward negro education.


The outgrowth of Turner's Jefferson City convention was a bill in the general assembly to appropriate $15,000 to the negro educational movement, just as soon as the negroes themselves could certify to having a like capital in cash and real estate. The negroes sent Turner down East to beg money, and he got $1,000 in cash from a fellow named William Thaw down in Pittsburg, whose son afterward got into print for killing Stanford White on a New York roof garden. Begging did not suit Turner, and he returned to Missouri.

"This brings us to the convention of '70, when we Republicans got the balance of power in Missouri," said Turner with a chuckle, as he rubbed the rheumatism out of his aged joints. "That's where I met Carl Schurz of St. Louis. Mr. Schurz was in the senate. That's when the fifteenth amendment was put in operation.

"I was in that convention, backed up by 200 negro delegates, and I was in joint debate with Carl Schurz for three days. He wanted to enfranchise the Confederate veterans, and so did we negroes, but we kicked when Schurz wanted the bill to read for the benefit of white men only. With my 200 negroes I held the balance of power, and Mr. Schurs bolted the convention and the party."

This convention and the memorable three days' debate with Carl Schurz got Turner into the limelight. Colonel R. T. Van Horn of Kansas City recommended him to President Grant, and the negro was sent as minister to Liberia. He stuck it out there for eight years, and then returned to St. Louis, where he was born into slavery, and became a lawyer. For twenty years he has been an attorney for the negroes of Indian Territory, and secured for them their treaty rights there.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

October 23, 1908


Served Seven and One-Half Years for
Killing Fred Jackson.
Dr. Jefferson D. Goddard, Released from the Penitentiary Today
(Court sketch of the doctor at the time of his
conviction of the murder of Frederick
Jackson, laundryman.)

JEFFERSON CITY, MO., Oct 22. --(Special.) Dr. Jefferson D. Goddard, who shot and killed Fred Jackson, a laundryman, in Kansas City about twelve years ago, will be "dressed out" of the Missouri penitentiary tomorrow morning. He was sentenced to twenty years for killing Jackson, but this sentence was commuted by Governor Dockery to a term expiring tomorrow. He will go from Jefferson City to the home of his sister in Cass county to rest for some time before determining what he will do in the future.

Dr. Goddard's medical education and skill stood him in good stead in the prison. He had charge of the drug store and assisted the physician in charge in hospital work, and earned the respect and confidence of the officers of the institution by his good conduct and his readiness at all times to use his professional skill in relieving the ills of his fellow convicts.

"He has been an invaluable man to the state," said Warden Matt Hall in discussing him, "if we can say that a convict is valuable to the state. He was a skilled pharmacist and a good physician and was absolutely reliable and trustworthy. He leaves the prison with the best wishes of every officer and convict who came in contact with him."

Dr. Goddard was received at the prison April 25, 1900. Dockery commuted his sentence to ten years with benefit of the three-fourths law. Consequently he has served seven and one-half years.

Labels: , , ,

September 1, 1908


Stops Here on His Way Home From
New Mexico.

Herbert S. Hadley, Republican candidate for governor of Missouri, arrived in Kansas City last night at 10:40 o'clock from Santa Fe, N. M., where he has been since the middle of June recuperating. Mr. Hadley went immediately to the Hotel Baltimore and retired. He will remain over here today in conference wtih political leaders before going to Jefferson City.

Labels: , , , ,

June 17, 1908


Continued Rains Delay Expected Fall
in Flood Waters.

OMAHA, June 16. -- There was no fall in the Missouri river for the past twenty-four hours, but the fact that it remained almost stationary encouraged the weather bureau to believe that no higher stage would be reached It stood at 18.3 this morning, the same as Monday morning. It is again raining in the Missouri valley.

ST. JOSEPH, MO., June 16 (Special.) -- The Missouri river at this point at 10 o'clock tonight is receding at the rate of one inch an hour and promises to keep it up tomorrow. The Platte and 102 rivers have shown a more rapid decline and will soon e beyond the danger point. A slight rain is falling tonight, but it is not expected to affect the river conditions. All trains out of this city, north and eastbound, can make schedule time.

LEAVENWORTH, KAS., June 16 (Special.) -- The Missouri river continues to rise at this point. Great logs are coming down and quantities of fine drift indicating rains above. The river rose about an inch today and is now nearly six miles from bank to bank here. Great slate piles at the coal mines are exploding and resemble volcanoes, owing to the sulphur which burns.

ATCHISON, KAS., June 16 (Special.) -- The continued rising of the Missouri river at this point is just beginning to be serious. The water has reached the stage where it is spreading over the fine Missouri bottom land. The river has risen three inches here in the past 24 hours and is still rising slowly.

JEFFERSON CITY, June 16 (Special.) -- It is believed that the worst of the flood will be over in this stretch of the Missouri by this time tomorrow. While the river was stationary for a time last night it began rising again and fully six inches has been added. The rate it came up today was about half an inch per hour. This morning a big body of back water come over the bank of Turkey creek, west of North Jefferson, and inundated many hundred acres of the bottom that escaped.

Labels: , , , , ,


Get the Book
Vintage Kansas City Stories ~ Early 20th Century Americana as Immortalized in The Kansas City Journal
Kansas City Stories

Early Kansas City, Missouri

The Son of Jesse James is Accused of a Train Robbery at Leeds ... Can he get a fair trial in Kansas City?
The Trial of Jesse James, Jr.

>>More KC Books<<

As an Amazon Associate this site may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

The History and Heritage of Vintage Kansas City in Books
Vintage Kansas
City Bookstore

Powered by Blogger

Vintage Kansas

Vintage Antique Classics ~ Vintage Music, Software, and more Time Travel Accessories

In association with
KC Web ~ The Ultimate Kansas City Internet Directory