Find Kansas City Antiques and Collectibles at the Vintage Kansas City Marketplace ~ Own a Piece of Old KC

Vintage Kansas



Old News
Headlines and Articles from The Kansas City Journal

Business Office...4000 Main
City Editor.....4001 Main
Society Editor....4002 Main

Two cents. Subscription Rates:  By carrier, per week, 10 cents; per month, 45 cents.  By mail, daily and Sunday, one month, 40 cents; three months, $1.00; six months, $2.00; one year, $4.00.  Sunday only, six months, 75 cents; one year, $1.50.  Weekly Journal, 25 cents one year.

Like Vintage Kansas City on Facebook

As We See 'Em ~ Caricatures of Prominent Kansas Cityans

The Isis Theatre ~ Kansas City, Missouri

The History of Fairmount Park

Claims of Cancer Cured by Dr. Bye in Vintage KC Missouri

Special Cut Prices ~ Always the Same

Blogging Fusion Blog Directory

June 2, 1909


Despondent Seamstress Commits Sui-
cide at 3026 Jackson Avenue.

Despondent and suffering from a protracted illness, Miss Anna Shinogle, a seamstress, ended her life yesterday afternoon by drowning herself in a well at the home of her sister, Mrs. John E. Asher, 3026 Jackson avenue. The suicide occurred about 3:30 o'clock, and the woman gave no intimation that she contemplated taking her own life. Miss Shinogle was 32 years old. Her father resides in California and a brother, Edward Shinogle, lives at 906 Spruce street.

Labels: ,

January 17, 1909


Edgar Sullivan Not Seen Since Leav-
ing Home Friday.

Edgar Sullivan, 2803 Jackson avenue, is missing from home. Edgar is 12 years old and left the house Friday morning to attend Greenwood school. Since then he has not been heard from and his parents last night notified the police of No. 6 police station.

As the boy is too old to be lost in Kansas City the police believe that he has probably run away. When he left home Edgar was dressed in a blue serge coat, black trousers and a brown cap. He has light hair and light complexion.

Labels: , , ,

December 19, 1908


Dr. Harry Czarlinsky Meets Relative
Through Publicity Given Him.

The appearance of the name of Dr. Harry Czarlinsky, deputy coroner, in the local papers following the riot of religious fanatics on December 8 brought about a reunion of half brothers and sisters who had known nothing of of each other for thirty-eight years. A week ago yesterday, three days after the riot, Mrs. Pearl Wheeler of 16 South Bellaire avenue appeared at Dr. Czarlinsky's office in the Commerce building and asked:

"Did you ever know a man named Herman Czarlinsky?"

When the doctor informed Mrs. Wheeler that the man mentioned, who died here January 27, 1899, was his father, he was informed that Herman Czarlinsky was her father also. She said that her brother, William Whippell, who took the name of his stepfather, lived in Englewood station. A meeting was arranged for last Sunday and an impromptu reunion was held at Dr. Czarlinsky's home, 3510 Vine street.

"Shortly after the war," said Dr. Czarlinsky yesterday, "my father married a Miss Goode in New Orleans. She was a Gentile and, on account of religious differences, they separated in 1870. My father came West and settled at Warsaw, Mo., with three of the children, Fannie, G. A. and Charles. Fannie, who is now Mrs. McCubbin, lives at 1625 Jackson avenue. G. A. Czarlinsky lives here and Charles in St. Louis. Two of the children remained with their mother. They were William and Pearl, now Mrs.Wheeler. Father's first wife married again and Will took his stepfather's name of Whippell. Father moved here in 1889.

"Nothing was ever known of the other two children and their mother until Mrs. Wheeler appeared at my office last Friday. She said her mother died January 18, 1899, at Monett, Mo., fourteen days before my father's death.

"By my father's second marriage there were three children, Mrs. Esther Morris, 3517 Vine street; Maud Czarlinsky, who lives with her and myself. We were, of course, reared with the three children who came West with my father, but neither they nor us knew that the other two were living so close at hand. The mention of my name in the papers as deputy coroner in the handling of the riot victims brought about the reunion."

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

May 7, 1908


Eugene Lane, 7 Years Old, Killed by
Santa Fe Train on Belt
Line Trestle.

While returning to his home at 3810 East Fifteenth street yesterday evening about 6 o'clock, Eugene Lane, age 7 years, was caught on the long trestle of the Belt line railroad near Thirteenth street and Jackson avenue and killed. The boy was struck by an eastbound Santa Fe passenger train while midway on the trestle and the impact of the engine threw him against one of the iron uprights, crushing his skull.

Eugene Lane was the son of Mr. and Mrs. Edward Lane, who live at 3810 East Fifteenth street, and had ben sent to a neighbor's house on an errand for his mother. The boy had been in the habit of using the trestle in making journeys to and form the neighborhood to which he was sent, but had forgotten that a train was due when he attempted to cross the trestle yesterday afternoon.

Edward Lane, the father of the boy, has a blacksmith shop at 3406 East Fifteenth street. The boy was an only son.

Labels: , , , , , ,

March 4, 1908


At Thirteenth and Grand Avenue,
and Motorman Was Injured.

In a street car collision last night that wrecked the front vestibule of a southbound Fifteenth street car, Clarence Oliver, motorman, was stunned and, it was thought at the time, seriously injured.

The accident happened about 9:30 o'clock at Thirteenth street and Grand avenue. Oliver's car was going south on Grand avenue across the switches that turn into Thirteenth street when a northbound Westport car "split" the switch. That is, the switch refused to work, and the car that should have continued straight north on Grand avenue took the curve, and was thrown across the front of the Fifteenth street car. Dr. Will Inen, who attended Oliver at the University hospital, believe he sustained a slight concussion of the brain. Oliver lives with his family at 1803 Jackson avenue. None of the passengers on the car was hurt.

Labels: , , , , , ,

February 22, 1908


Commissioners Were Slow About
Sending Books to 2430 Jackson.

"Wonder what's the matter, aren't we going to vote today?"

"It don't look like it I have been waiting here for an hour or more and no one that looked like a judge or clerk has put in an appearance yet."

"It's a scheme to get ahead of Cary, that's all there is to it."

Such were the remarks which were heard in the large crowd of Republican voters of the Thirteenth ward, which was forced to wait two hours for the polls to open at 2430 Jackson avenue yesterday afternoon. By 1 o'clock, the time scheduled for the opening of the polls throughout the wards which were holding primaries, fifty or sixty men had assembled in front of 2430 Jackson avenue, to cast their votes, but no one had appeared to take charge.

At 2 o'clock, nothing having been done about opening the polls, many of those who came early went away. A messenger was sent after Cary and that candidate hurried to the scene of non-action. He called up the election commissioner's office and was told that no one had called for the ballot box or the necessary papers. A messenger was sent to the office forthwith returning within an hour with the long waited for judge, clerks and challengers. J. D. Carter was sworn in as judge.

Labels: ,

December 19, 1907


Take Her Money and Leave Her Ly-
ing Unconscious in the Snow.

Alma Day, the 16-year-old daughter of W. L. Day, a barber who lives at Thirtieth street and Cleveland avenue, was assaulted and robbed last night at Thirtieth street and Askew avenue by two men who had followed her from Kansas City, Kas.

Miss Day is employed in the buttering department of Swift's packing house and receives a salary of $6.25 per week. Yesterday was her pay day and she thinks that the two men who assaulted her were aware of the fact. The men took her week's pay, less the 5 cents she had paid in car fair going home.

She says that they got on an Indiana avenue car at the same time she did when she was returning home from work. They sat across the aisle two seats behind her. They followed her from the car at Thirtieth street and Indiana avenue. She walked on down Thirtieth street to Askew, within one block of her home, when the two men grabbed her. She was strangled until she almost lost consciousness. One of the men struck her on the back of her head and in the face. She fell unconscious and lay in the roadside for almost an hour.

Her older sister, Effie, went out to the grocery store, and in doing so had to pass her sister lying in the snow. She did not know that the body was that of a person, but being somewhat frightened at it, walked to the other side of the road. She returned from the store and walked around her sister again in the same manner.

About fifteen minutes later one of the neighbor's boys made the same trip as did Effie Day. He did not notice the body until on his way back home. He immediately ran to the Day home and told Mrs. Day of her daughter's condition, and Alma was carried into her father's house, a block away.

From the tracks in the snow it was thought that the two men ran up Askew for about a quarter of a mile and then they crossed a field and went directly towards Jackson avenue.

The police were notified immediately, but were unable to trace the robbers further than Jackson avenue.

Miss Day's injuries, while not serious, are painful, and she will be unable to leave her bed for some time.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

December 15, 1907


Mystery in Spaniard's Case Cleared.
Goes to Daughter's Home.

Emanual Hill, the Spaniard who was identified at the general hospital Friday night by a negro woman as being her father, was taken to the home of Claude Lane, the husband of the woman, at 1807 Howard avenue, yesterday afternoon. Hill did not want to go, but as the negro had sufficient proof that he was in reality her father, the hospital authorities told her t hat she might take him home if she desired. After considerable urging he finally consented to leave.
It is now known that Hill received the fracture of the skull, with which he is afflicted, while attempting to get off a Jackson avenue car at Nineteenth street and Flora avenue on December 5. He had come to Kansas City to visit his daughter, who had lived in Flora avenue near Twenty-first street. He did not know that she had moved to the house in Howard avenue.

Labels: , , , , , ,


Get the Book
Vintage Kansas City Stories ~ Early 20th Century Americana as Immortalized in The Kansas City Journal
Kansas City Stories

Early Kansas City, Missouri

>>More KC Books<<

The History and Heritage of Vintage Kansas City in Books
Vintage Kansas
City Bookstore

Powered by Blogger

Vintage Kansas

Vintage Antique Classics ~ Vintage Music, Software, and more Time Travel Accessories

In association with
KC Web ~ The Ultimate Kansas City Internet Directory