Find Kansas City Antiques and Collectibles at the Vintage Kansas City Marketplace ~ Own a Piece of Old KC

Vintage Kansas



Old News
Headlines and Articles from The Kansas City Journal

Business Office...4000 Main
City Editor.....4001 Main
Society Editor....4002 Main

Two cents. Subscription Rates:  By carrier, per week, 10 cents; per month, 45 cents.  By mail, daily and Sunday, one month, 40 cents; three months, $1.00; six months, $2.00; one year, $4.00.  Sunday only, six months, 75 cents; one year, $1.50.  Weekly Journal, 25 cents one year.

Like Vintage Kansas City on Facebook

As We See 'Em ~ Caricatures of Prominent Kansas Cityans

The Isis Theatre ~ Kansas City, Missouri

The History of Fairmount Park

Claims of Cancer Cured by Dr. Bye in Vintage KC Missouri

Special Cut Prices ~ Always the Same

Blogging Fusion Blog Directory

June 20, 1909


Wilbur Morgan Says Park on Bluffs
Offers Prettiest View.

Searching for beauty spots is the fad of Wilbur Morgan of the Interstate Motor Car Company. Last week, after exploring the pretty places of the city for several months in his car, Mr. Morgan found what he considers the most perfect viewpoint in the town.

It is the little park about 100 feet square on top of the bluff and just west of the entrance to the Cliff drive, close to Garfield avenue. There is a drive, and an arbor of climbing roses, beneath which one may sit. The view embraces the East Bottoms, most of Kansas City, Kas., the river and the intercity viaduct.

By night, when the city is lit up, the view is particularly beautiful and the small park is the rendezvous for any people in the neighborhood. It has no official title on the map, being merely a part of North Terrace park, an ambiguous term applied to the whole bluff. Mr. Morgan says that the view to be obtained from that point is the most beautiful around Kansas City, and he doesn't own any real estate in that neighborhood, either.

Labels: , ,

April 22, 1909


Among Effects of Late Mrs. Fergu-
son Was Washington's Signature.

Porter B. Godard, administrator of the estate of Mrs. Nona R. Ferguson, widow of Rodney Ferguson, once treasurer of the Bell Telephone Company, has discovered some curiosities among her effects.

Among them are photographs of scenes in Kansas City during the years of 1868, '69, and '70, forty-eight of them. They are river and levee scenes and are very rare. Also there was found a land patent bearing the date of 1796 and signed by George Washington.

Mrs. Ferguson's home was at 708 Garfield avenue. There is a contest in the courts over the disposition of the estate on account of two wills made by Mrs. Ferguson.

Labels: , , ,

June 24, 1908



Two Husbands Are Worrying Two
Faithful Wives and Piling Up
Telephone Bills by Remain-
ing Away From Home.

Mrs. Susie Poser called police headquarters by telephone from Tulsa, Ok., yesterday and asked that her husband, S. Poser, here for three weeks, be sought by the police. He is a plasterer, 30 years old, 5 feet 10 inches tall and weighs 145 pounds. He has light hair, blue eyes and fair complexion. Has been known to drink.

The mother of Samuel Keller, 17 years old, 913 Oak street, said her boy had left home Sunday morning and had not returned.

This report was among the lot of the missing: "Look out for George Wiley, 12 years old, blue overalls, blue blouse, barefooted and red-headed. Left home last Friday and not heard from since. Notify his mother at Independence avenue and Charlotte street, next to drug store."

Probably the most important person the police were asked to find, yesterday, on account of the fact that he was known to have had $868 and some valuable jewelry with him, was Frank Cook of Independence, Kas. His wife telephoned here and asked that he be located by the police.

Last Friday night Cook entered a hack at Fifth street and Grand avenue and asked to be driven to the Union depot to catch a 9 p. m. train. It was late and the train was missed.

"Bud" Landis, the driver, knew that Cook had with him a large sum of money. He drove slowly back uptown and at Seventh and Wyandotte streets called the attention of Patrolman J. F. Murphy and J. F. Brice, to the man in his hack. Cook was asleep. He had been drinking.

When searched at police headquarters, where he was booked as a "safe keeper," he was found to have $808, a valuable gold watch and chain and other jewelry. Cook was released Saturday morning and his money and jewelry returned to him. The missing man is 35 years old, 5 feet 7 inches tall, weighs about 140 pounds, has light hair, blue eyes and fair complexion. His wife said he might be found in a sanitarium.

A doctor at 1306 Garfield avenue asked that the police be on the lookout for W. H. Madden, a patient who took French leave. The doctor said that Madden was demented. He wanted the man detained until he could be notified.

Bert Murray, a "patient" at the city workhouse, while working in the barn there Sunday concluded to leave. He did leave. As his time is by no means up, Patrick O'Hearn, superintendent of that institution, asks the police to locate Murray and return him, not to the barn, but to the workhouse proper.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

December 22, 1907


Willie Bear Is Also Charged With
Shooting at Him.

Willie Bear, 15 years old, of Twenty-fifth street and Brooklyn avenue, is in a cell at the detention home awaiting trial Monday in the children's court on the charge of tying John Wiess of 3409 Garfield avenue, a playmate, to a post and shooting at him with a target rifle.

Willie admits tying John up, but says he didn't try to shoot him. They boys were playing "Teddy, or How Can a Bob Cat Escape?"

Labels: , , , , ,

November 26, 1907





Clay Fulton, the Lover, Is Arrested,
and His Sanity Is to Be Investi-
gated -- He Is a Printer and
Has Had Trouble.

Through fear of immediate death from a pistol in the hands of a half-crazed suitor, Miss Pearl Smit, daughter of Dr. E. O. Smith, 212-14 Wabash avenue, and well known in local society, was compelled to leave her father's home and walk twelve blocks in the cold of last Friday night before an opportunity of escape presented itself. Even then she was forced to seek refuge in a stable and hid in a wagon for over an hour lest the defeated suitor should be in hiding outside and shoot her upon sight. Clay Fulton, the man in the case, has been placed under arrest and has admitted to police his share of the weird affair.

The young woman was for two days prostrated from the nervous shock, but recovered sufficiently yesterday to tell of the remarkable experience she had undergone. In the presence of her father, Dr. E. O. Smith, she told the story graphically too newspaper men.

Fulton and the girl had been acquainted for several years. The young man had repeatedly paid court to her. Finding his advances were not encouraged, it appears that he brooded over the matter and Friday night determined to take things into his own hands. He purchased a revolver in the afternoon, and that night went to the girl's home without warning her in advance of his intended visit.

The home of Dr. Smith is a large double house fronting upon Wabash avenue. One side of it is the family residence, while the other is used by the physician as his office. When Fulton appeared the girl was in the office, while her family were in the residence side of the house. The man rang at the office door and Miss Smith went to let the visitor in.


According to her story, she did not know it was Fulton until he was incide the reception hall. He was wearing a heavy overcoat, with his hat drawn down over his eyes. No sooner had he entered, she avers, than he drew his revolver and pointed it at her.

"Don't make any noise," he is said to have exclaimed, "or I will shoot. I am tired of being put off and I want you to go with me. I want you to marry me. If you make any alarm I shall kill you."

"I was too astonished and scared to scream," said Miss Smith last night. "I believed he was desperate and would do as he said. So I tried to temporize. I told him I had no wraps, and asked him to let me get a cloak. He was excited and refused to allow me out of his sight. I thought it best to go along wiht him and take my chance to escape. I believe he would have killed me if I had cried out there in the house So I went out with him."

"I was wearing only a light house dress, which had short sleeves, and a thin pair of shoes. It was pretty cold out on the stret, and I began ot suffer almost as soon as I was outside. When I wished to go into some place and get warm, the man refused me, saying he would not let me go into any place in that part of town where he was unknown for fear of outside interference. He talked wildly about my refusing to marry him, and said I would have to marry hinm right away. He warned me repeatedly not to make any outcry. We walked on Wabash avenue to Ninth street and then turned west. I kept asking him to let me go into some place and get warm, but he insisted that I wait until we should get to Twelfth and Paseo, where, he said, he was known. At Garfield, I persuaded him to go into a restaurant and telephone to his sister to bring me some wraps, telling him I would be gettin gwarm while he did the talking As son as I saw him busy with the telephone I ran out of the place and went to Newcomer's undertaking rooms.


There I found David Newcomer and Mr. P. M. McDaniel, whom I knew, and I asked them to hide me. I felt sure the man would come looking for me and would shoot me if he found me. The men at Newcomer's led me into a shed adjoining the office and I climbed up into a wagon and lay there until I was sure there would be no further danger. Then I went back home in a carriage. I think I must have been in there an hour, and," smilingly, "it was the longest hour I ever passed."

Immediately the police were notified of the affair and Detectives Oldham and Boyle were detailed upon the case. Yesterday they arrested young Fulton and locked him up in a cell at police headquarters. When questioned about the matter by Captain Whitsett last night, he gave a rambling, incoherent account of troubles which led him to the action he took Fridaynight. He frankly admitted that he had threatened Miss Smith with a revolver. Asked if he would have shot her had she refused to accompany him, he answered simply: "I do not know."

Young Fulton lives with his mother and two sisters at 1438 East Fourteenth street. He has been employed as a printer in a number of shops about town. About three weeks ago he left the employ of Hallman's printing establishment in the Gumbel building at Eighth and Walnut streets. It is the theory of the police that the man has been brooding over troubles, real or imaginary, until his mind has become temporarily disordered and that his strange deed of Friday night was the result. An attempt will be made by the girl's father, Dr. Smith, to have his sanity investigated today.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

July 21, 1907


Son Dies in Father's Arms as Mother
Rushes Forward.

Before his mother could rush forward to greet him, Otto W. Humphrey, who was being brought back to his home from New Mexico, died in his father's arms as they entered the house last evening. Humphrey, who was 20 years old, and the son of Mr. and Mrs. J. W. Humphrey, had been taken to New Mexico several weeks ago, in hopes of gaining relief from tubwercular trouble. His father, who was formerly alderman from the Fourtheenth ward, went after him a few days ago, returning last night.

Mr. and Mrs. Humphrey have been boarding at the home of M. F. Simmons, 216 Garfield avenue, and it was to this address taht the young man was taken.

Otto W. Humphrey was attending school in Florida when he contracted the disease.

Labels: ,

April 22, 1907


Eight Persons Fled From a Blaze
in Kansas City, Kas.

Eight persons were driven to the street in their night clothes by a fire at 619 Garfield avenue, Kansas City, Kas., at 11:30 o'clock last night. The house was occupied by two families, George Kauffman and his wife living on the first floor, and R. E. Freeman, his wife and four small children, on the second floor. The loss on the house, which was a two-story frame, is estimated at $100, covered by insurance, and $50 on the furniture.

John Cashen, 14 years old, who lives across the street, noticed flames coming from the windows of the house and awakened the occupants by frantic knocking on the door. Otherwise all might have perished in the flames.

Labels: , ,

March 10, 1907


Will of Samuel G. Booth, Who
Committed Suicide, Filed.

In the will of Samuel G. Booth, who committed suicide a week ago last Wednesday evening at his home, 2625 Garfield avenue, no mention is made of the widow, Ida Booth, who had instituted proceedings for divorce when Mr. Booth took his own life. The will, which was filed with the probate court yesterday, sets forth that one-half of the entire estate, which amounts to more than $50,000, is to go to a nephew, Leonard Rosco Booth, and the remaining one half to another nephew, Earl Booth, and a niece, Fay Booth, each to share in like amounts.

The will was dated September 4, 1904, a year before he was married, and was drawn up in Valley Fall, Kas., Mr. Booth's former home.

Mrs. Booth, who was twenty-three years younger than her husband, had left him just three days before he committed suicide. She had filed a petition for divorce, and arrangements had been made for Mr. Booth's attorney to take his affidavit for the filing of a cross bill on the day he swallowed carbolic acid at his home, and died just as the attorney entered the house.

Immediately after the death of her husband, Mrs. Booth took charge of the home on Garfield avenue, where she had been living since. Suit of ouster may be instituted against her by the heirs.

Labels: , , ,

March 4, 1907

Mrs. Booth Said to Be Unable to
Leave Her Home

Mrs. Ida Booth, 2625 Garfield avenue, whose husband committed suicide last Thursday night because his wife, who was 23 years his junior, was about to institute proceedings for a divorce, did not attend the funeral of her husband at Valley Falls, Kas., yesterday. It was said that the shock of her husband's death had unnerved her for the ordeal of attending his funeral, and made her physically unable to leave her home.

Mrs. Booth's petition was one of the longest ever filed in Jackson county. It makes these allegations:

That shortly after the marriage in Leavenworth, June 29, 1905, after the Booths came to Kansas City, the husband became cold and exacting; that the wife was compelled to pay board for herself and her sister out of her private income; that she had to cook and clean up for the boarders; that her husband demanded all her property and did not take her to places of amusement; that he took charge of her mail, and that his personal habits were such that she could not bear to live with him.

Owing to the suicide of Booth, the case will be dismissed when it is called for trial.

Labels: , , , ,

February 28, 1907


When Samuel G. Booth, Formerly of Valley Falls, Kas.,
Swallows Carbolic Acid -- Wife Left Last Friday
Fortune Was $50,000

With the name "Ida" lingering on his lips, Samuel G. Booth, a retired farmer, 63 years old, whose wife, Mrs. Ida Booth, 28 years his junior, had left him a few days ago, swallowed carbolic acid and died at his home, 2625 Garfield Avenue, about 5:45 o'clock yesterday afternoon.

John Woodson, his attorney, had called at the house to take his deposition in the divorce suit that his wife was about to institute. When the attorney arrived he found the door partly ajar, but his ring received no response. He walked into the house, and finding no one on the lower floor, went to Mr. Booth's bedroom. There lay the man on the bed fully dressed. A vial containing a small quantity of carbolic acid lay by his side. Evidently Mr. Booth had swallowed the acid when he heard the approach of the attorney, for he was able to whisper his wife's name just before he lapsed into unconsciousness.

In one hand was clasped a newspaper who contained the obituary of his mother, who died three years ago at Valley Falls, Kas., and nearby lay two notes, one addressed to his wife and another to his nephew, Rosco Booth, of Valley Falls.

Note to His Wife.

The note left to his wife is believed to explain the cause for his action. It is written in a firm round hand on a piece of white plain stationary. In part it follows:

Ida, I love you and have tried to talk to you and try to adjust our
difficulties, that we may live together and be happy as we once were. But
of the privilege of even seeing you I am denied. I think that you and I
could live happily together, were it not for Laura. She wields a powerful
influence over you, and I am very confident that she ahs been to a degree to
blame for the alienation of your affections from me. This, with your
imaginary wrongs and the intrigue of others had been the cause of the breaking
up of our home that would have otherwise been a happy one.

The other note directs that his body be turned over to Wise & Cassidy, undertakers, and that he be buried by the side of his mother at Valley Falls, Kas., with Masonic rites. It also states that after his debts are paid, which amount to but a small sum, a widow's share be given to his wife, and the residue divided between his niece and nephew.

Table Still Set for Two.

Since her departure Mr. Booth had lived alone in the house. He still kept up the illusion of her presence, however. Last night the dining room table had been set for two, and about this part of the house there was no indication of anything having been disturbed since the departure of Mrs. Booth.

Immediately after her departure, Mrs. Booth took steps toward instituting divorce proceedings and of this Mr. Booth was promptly informed. He decided to file a cross bill, and arrangements had been made for his attorney to take his deposition yesterday afternoon.

Since 1864 Mr. Booth had lived near Valley Falls, moving there with his mother from Kentucky. He had acquired much land in that territory, but had not married until after his mother's death three years ago. The body will probably be taken to Valley Falls this morning for burial.

Last night Mrs. Booth had not called at the morgue to give instructions regarding the disposition of her husband's body. She had been told of his death in the evening, and went to the home, but remained only a few minutes.

A brother of the dead man lives in Oklahoma, and a niece and nephew live in Valley Falls. Telegrams were sent last night to the niece and nephew, but the address of the brother had not been learned.

Labels: , , , ,


Get the Book
Vintage Kansas City Stories ~ Early 20th Century Americana as Immortalized in The Kansas City Journal
Kansas City Stories

Early Kansas City, Missouri

>>More KC Books<<

The History and Heritage of Vintage Kansas City in Books
Vintage Kansas
City Bookstore

Powered by Blogger

Vintage Kansas

Vintage Antique Classics ~ Vintage Music, Software, and more Time Travel Accessories

In association with
KC Web ~ The Ultimate Kansas City Internet Directory