Find Kansas City Antiques and Collectibles at the Vintage Kansas City Marketplace ~ Own a Piece of Old KC

Vintage Kansas



Old News
Headlines and Articles from The Kansas City Journal

Business Office...4000 Main
City Editor.....4001 Main
Society Editor....4002 Main

Two cents. Subscription Rates:  By carrier, per week, 10 cents; per month, 45 cents.  By mail, daily and Sunday, one month, 40 cents; three months, $1.00; six months, $2.00; one year, $4.00.  Sunday only, six months, 75 cents; one year, $1.50.  Weekly Journal, 25 cents one year.

Like Vintage Kansas City on Facebook

As We See 'Em ~ Caricatures of Prominent Kansas Cityans

The Isis Theatre ~ Kansas City, Missouri

The History of Fairmount Park

Claims of Cancer Cured by Dr. Bye in Vintage KC Missouri

Special Cut Prices ~ Always the Same

Blogging Fusion Blog Directory

December 14, 1910


Physician, Called to West, Quits
Hospital Place at Once.

Dr. J. Park Neal, house surgeon at the general hospital, left last night for Los Angeles, Cal., in answer to a telegram that his brother-in-law, E. C. Briggs of Great Bend, Kas., had sustained a badly fractured leg. Dr. Neal, who has been house surgeon since the new hospital was built, tendered his resignation Tuesday, to take effect January 25. As most of the time between now and that time will be consumed in this trip, yesterday virtually was his last day at the hospital.

The position of house surgeon may be abolished. Most of the surgical work is done by visiting surgeons. Dr. Neal also held the position of assistant superintendent. It is not likely this office will be discontinued.

Labels: , ,

June 27, 1909


Boy Run Down While Chasing Foul
at Stevens's Park.

While chasing a foul ball across the Belt Line track during a baseball game at Twenty-fourth street and the Southwest boulevard at 2 o'clock yesterday afternoon, Claude Davidson, 12 years old, was run over by a switch engine and mangled by the wheels. He was taken to the general hospital where his right leg and arm were amputated by Dr. J. Park Neal. It was thought at the hospital last night that the boy would recover.

Two boy teams were playing at the Stephens ball park at the time of the accident. Claude Davidson was what is known among school boys as "pig-tailer" and his business was to recover lost balls and catch fouls landing far behind the batter. One of the latter crossed the low fence behind the field and it was in pursuit of it that the boy was hit by the switch engine. His father, William C. Davidson, lives at 1660 Jefferson street.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

April 5, 1909


Woman Tricks Nurse and Hurls
Herself From Third Story
Window to Death.

Nurses and patients at the general hospital were startled and shocked last night when Effie Sloan, a patient, committed suicide by leaping from a window on the third floor to the ground below. She was dead when assistance reached her side a few seconds after she jumped.

Miss Sloan entered the hospital on March 31. She was assigned to the ward on the third floor in which were other women patients. The woman was very restless on Saturday afternoon and night, but yesterday the physicians noticed that she was very quiet. About 7:00 last night as one of the nurses passed her cot she asked for a glass of milk. the nurse started after the milk, and Miss Sloan arose from her bed.

After getting up the patient walked the length of the ward to a window. She raised it and began climbing up on the sill. Two patients, Misses Cora Smith and Lulu Williams, took in the situation and ran towards her in an effort to prevent her from jumping. As Miss Smith reached the window Miss Sloan threw herself from off the window ledge.

Succeeding in catching only a slight hold of the gown worn by the woman, Miss Smith was not able to hold her long enough to give Miss Williams time to help. Miss Sloan weighed about 160 pounds, and the woman who attempted to hold her against the window sill by her gown weighs 120 pounds.

When Miss Sloan broke from the grasp of Miss Smith, her body shot downward to the turf beneath the window, and the two patients screamed and fainted. The nurse on duty in the ward immediately notified the internes who ran to the woman's aid. It was found that her skull had been fractured and that death was instantaneous.

When Miss Sloan entered the hospital she gave her age as 26 years, and her residence as 1123 Oak street.

The coroner was notified of the suicide by Dr. J. Park Neal and asked to make an investigation.

Labels: , , , ,

April 3, 1909



Strong Men Weep as Jimmie
Palermo, Whose Father Saw
Him Hurt, Is Taken From
Under the Wheels.

While running across the street car tracks on Eighth street near Forest avenue about 4 o'clock yesterday afternoon, "Jimmie" Palermo, 5 years old, was run down by Independence avenue car 247, westbound, and injured to such an extent that both of his legs had to be amputated above the knee. The operation was performed at the general hospital immediately after the accident. Dr. J. Park Neal, who amputated the boy's legs, reported last night that he had survived the operation in a marvelous manner for one so young, and that he had a fighting chance for his life.

The boy is a son of Salvatore Palermo, an Italian grocer and butcher at 1103 East Eighth street, who lives on the second floor of 1103. The father, with Mack Carter, his butcher, saw the accident. The father ran to the scene, but became frantic when he saw his child pinned down by the front trucks of the car, and had to be taken away.


Two mothers, who thought that the child might be theirs, fought with tiger like ferocity with the crowd until they got to where they could get a look at the pale face of the little fellow.

The boy lay in such a position that he could not be moved until the car was "jacked up." The wrecking crew arrived in a few minutes, and with the aid of volunteers, the car tracks were elevated sufficiently. The boy's arm slipped to his side, and three marbles fell from his nerveless grasp.

"Take hold gently, men, and lift the boy out," said the foreman of the wrecking crew as the ambulance stretcher arrived.

"I just can't do it. I have seen enough to break my heart," said a big workman with sleeves rolled to the elbows, exposing a pair of muscular brown arms. He leaned against a trolley pole and wept bitterly.

As the ambulance was leaving another mother of the neighborhood arrived and battled with the dense crowd to get a look at the injured boy. Every woman in the crowd was crying, as were some of the men, and little brothers and sisters and playmates of the boy screamed with fright and grief.


"Mr. Palermo and I were standing in the door of his store when the accident happened," said Mack Carter, the butcher at the store. "We saw little Jimmie as he started to cross the street from the north to the south side about half way between the alley and Forest avenue. When he saw the car he made a motion as if to turn back. The motorman had slowed down at first, but put on speed again. It looked as if he calculated for the boy to cross the tracks before the car reached him, but Jimmie became confused and was struck by the fender and knocked across the track. It looked like an accident to me."

The grief in the Palermo home was tragic. Between sobs, prayers were said in Italian, and supplication made to Heaven to preserve the boy's life.


While the family was in the midst of its grief a stranger appeared. Taking a card from his pocket he said, giving his name:

"Here is my card. I am a lawyer, but I got here a too late to see the accident. Send someone out into the street and get the boy's cap and those marbles. They are excellent evidence before a jury. Get the exact time of the accident , the number of the car and all the witnesses you can. I would like to handle this case for you."

Later in the evening Patrolmen William L. Cox and W. H. Schickhardt boarded car 247 and after riding to the end of the line arrested the conductor, H. E. Stoutz, 4100 East Ninth street, and the motorman, J. E. Warnike, 4600 Independence avenue. At police headquarters they made no statement and were ordered held for investigation, without bond, by Captain Walter Whitsett.

Representatives of the street car company insisted that a charge be placed against their men. Later in the evening an information was secured charging them with manslaughter in the fourth degree, a rather unusual charge while the boy was still living. They were taken to the home of Justice James H. Richardson, 2117 Prospect avenue, and arraigned on that charge. The men were then released on bond signed by representatives of their company. Their preliminary will be later. If the boy does not die, the charge will have to be changed.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

March 12, 1909



Statement Is Made That One Munici-
pal Doctor Was Brusque -- Patients
Feared Being Operated
On Needlessly.

The people making charges of alleged cruelty at the general hospital had an inning with the council investigation committees yesterday, and will have another at 2:30 o'clock next Wednesday afternoon in the chambers of the lower house of the council. Later the defense, which is represented by Attorneys Frank Lowe and T. A. J. Mastin, will be heard. W. O. Cardwell, an attorney, appears for some of the complainants and Attorney J. J. McLain is on hand in the interests of the homeopathic medical fraternity which, too, has a grievance against the hospital administration. The complaint of the homeopathists is that they are not on an equality with other medical schools at the hospital.

The proceedings opened with the reading of a letter by Mr. Cardwell from Miss Carrie M. Carroll of Independence, in which she reviewed the treatment received at the hospital by Miss Josie Pomfret of that city. Miss Pomfret was sent there as a ward of the county court, and was to have a private room. Instead of that, the girl, Miss Carroll claims, "was taken to a public ward, was treated in a brusque manner, and was addressed in loud and threatening language by the doctors because she would not remove her jewelry."


"You are no better than a pauper and will get treatment as such," Miss Carroll alleges was said to Miss Pomfret, who became excited because she feared that an operation would be performed. She declared that Dr. J. Park Neal, the acting superintendent, had been very discourteous. The next day Miss Carroll called at the hospital to get Miss Pomfret.

"Do you consider you have authority to operate upon patients without notifying friends and relatives of the patients?" Miss Carroll says she asked Dr. Neal.

"Yes, I am in full authority here, and if I consider it necessary I can operate on a patient without asking anybody," Miss Carroll says was Dr. Neal's reply.

Miss Carroll claims that she was treated with much inattention when she called to take her friend from the hospital back to Independence, and concluded the letter by making this allegation: "The general hospital is a butcher shop with a madman at its head."

Miss Carroll explained that she was sending the letter as she could not attend the hearing, having been called to New York. Her affidavit, as well as that of Miss Pomfret, will be demanded by the committee.

Dr. Charles E. Allen, family physician to F. A. Wolf, a patient, who was to be operated on for hernia against his protest, testified that he did not consider an operation necessary and he had Wolf removed to Wesley hospital to prevent the threatened operation. Wolf had been sent to the hospital to be treated for a nervous breakdown.


Mrs. F. A. Wolf testified that her husband was sent to the hospital by direction of Dr. R. J. Wolf, who did not tell her what was the matter with him. She said that he was very much excited, a nervous wreck. Three different times she visited the hospital, and was allowed to remain with him five minutes each time. On the third visit her husband was very much excited because he was to be operated on for hernia. She told Dr. Neal she did not want the operation performed. She called up Camp 2002, Modern Woodmen, of which her husband is a member, and they moved him to another hospital.

Mrs. Wolf said she felt humiliated because her husband had been put in a ward with dope fiends, and had been strapped to the bed. She thought the strapping to the bed was unnecessary, although she had not seen him on the occasion he was strapped to the bed.

Asked by Alderman J. G. Lapp: "Did you see him strapped to the bed?"

Mrs Wolf -- "No, sir; I did not. My husband told me about it."

F. A. Wolf, the patient, said that he had been working night and day seven days a week at his trade of hat cleaner, and last fall became a nervous wreck. He was surprised when Dr. Wolf called and ordered him to the hospital. He rode to the hospital on the seat of the ambulance. At the hospital they made him take a bath, and put him in the insane ward. One of the patients in the ward chained him to the bed by one of his legs.

"I was not violent," continued Wolf. "Next morning an attendant came along and told me that if I would fix up an old hat for him, he would take the chains off my legs. I agreed to fix his hat, and the chains were taken off. Then they made me do work that was objectionable. That night they moved me to another ward, and put me in with a noisy fellow. The doctor gave the noisemaker an injection which kept him sick all night. In the morning I told an attendant that the noisy fellow had a sick night, and the doctor replied, 'That's nothing; they get used to that after they are here a while."


"I saw welts on the legs of an other patient who had been whipped because he had asked for something to eat between meal hours. The Saturday following my arrival at the hospital three doctors told me I would have to be operated on for hernia.

"I protested against an operation. They told me that all of my troubles would be over after the operation. Sunday they removed me to another ward, the surgical ward, it is called, and at supper time the nurse informed me that I didn't want much to eat as I was to have an operation performed. Later that day my wife took me to Wesley hospital in an ambulance. I was weak and exhausted. No operation was performed at Wesley.

Wolf claims that his friends were denied admittance to him while he was at the general hospital, and he thought it wrong for the attendants to chain him to the bed. The night before he was sent to the hospital he acknowledged he had been picked up at the depot, and he could not tell how he got there. He didn't want to go to the hospital. The strap with which the patient was flogged, Wolf said, was about three feet long and two inches wide. The patient was chained during the flogging process, according to Wolf.

W. O. Cardwell, an attorney, swore that on December 14, 1908, he went to the hospital to get the record and affidavit of death of a young man who had died there, as he wanted to get a claim in before the Modern Woodmen. Dr. Neal said he could make the affidavit.


" 'You know our rule out here,' said Dr. Neal.

" 'What is that rule?' I asked

" 'That a fee of $2 accompany the application for the affidavit,' " Cardwell said Neal said to him.

" 'I never had to do that before,' I told Neal, but on advice of the secretary of the Woodman camp I paid the $2."

"Is the rule of the hospital to charge for furnishing affidavits of death?" Alderman J. D. Havens asked Dr. Neal.

"It is not. I always exact it, as I consider it a professional personal service.," replied the doctor.

In answer to Attorney Frank Lowe, Cardwell would not say for certain whether Dr. Neal "had said it is a rule of the hospital or our rule," but he was quite positive that former administrations at the hospitals had not exacted a fee for supplying affidavits of death.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

February 17, 1909



Cruel Treatment Alleged in Affida-
vits Read Before Council -- Com-
mittee Is Appointed to
Sift Complaints.

The lower house on the council last night named Alderman W. P. Woolf, C. J. Gilman and J. G. Lapp to a committee to investigate charges of inhumane treatment towards patients at the new general hospital.

The investigation was made upon the request of Alderman Darious Brown, who read a number of affidavits said to have been signed by patients.

Alderman Miles Bulger openly asserted that the move was a political one to embarrass the administration.

"I do not believe that Alderman Brown is any more sincere in this than he has been with his moves for a gas pressure regulation," declared Bulger.

Alderman brown denied with emphasis the charge of insincerity in wanting the alleged cruelties investigated. He added that it was impossible for him to believe that the prominent men comprising the health and hospital board would want such aspersions cast upon their management of the institution without having to falsity or correctness of them established.


Affidavits outlining complaints of patients who claimed to have been abused were read by Mr. Brown.

F. A. Wolf, 4237 Tracy, was taken to the hospital December 1, he affirmed, suffering from a nervous complaint, but declares the house physicians said he had a hernia and should be operated on. He says he fought being taken to the operating room and succeeded in escaping an operation until his wife could be communicated with. She called Dr. Charles E. Allen, the family physician, and Wolf was removed to Wesley hospital.

Wolf charges cruelty to other patients, declaring he had seen a patient whipped with a leather strap for asking for something to eat after regular meal hours, and had seen a man suffering from pneumonia die after being forced into a tub filled with cold water.


Wolf claims to be a member of the Modern Woodmen of America, and a local lodge of the order is supporting him in his charges.

Frank E. Jefferson made affidavit that on October 22 he underwent an operation at the hospital, and the incision was not dressed until the 25th. Later he was moved to Hahneman Medical college.

Arthur Slim, a brick layer, declared that while he was in the hospital with an ulcerated leg and suffering much pain, a doctor ordered him to the kitchen to work. He replied "that if he had to work, he might as well be laying brick."


Then the doctor repeated his order that Slim must either work in the kitchen or leave. Slim says he left, and limped to the emergency hospital and asked they physicians there to dress his sore leg. They refused, he avers, because he had left the general hospital.

Then Slim went to the University hospital, where his leg was dressed, and he was ordered back to the general hospital.

"December 23 I went back to the hospital," claims Slim, "and when the doctor saw me, he told others he would 'fix' me. He poured a quart bottle of acid over my sore leg."


Signor Friscoe was a trapeze performer. He swears that on January 16, 1909, he fell from a trapeze at the Hippodrome, breaking five ribs and paralyzing his lower limbs. He complains that he was roughly handled both in the ambulance and at the hospital, and that when he asked to be allowed to communicate with the Benevolent Order of Eagles, of which he is a member, his request was denied. Finally, he got into communication with officials of the Kansas City aerie, and was removed to another hospital.

W. O. Cardwell asserts that Walter Gessley died at the hospital, and that a doctor refused to state the cause of death or furnish a death certificate until he was paid $2.

An attack on the hospital management came up in a different form in the upper house of the council. The board asked for authority to spend $5,000 for surgical instruments, an X-ray machine and fitting up a laboratory.


Dr. J. Park Neal, house surgeon at the general hospital, said last night:

"Neither I nor any member of the hospital staff care to deny the charges made against the hospital. We simply ignore them. They are too absurd to make a denial necessary."

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

February 4, 1909



Father Says Consent for the Vaccin-
ation of Floyd Tinsley Was
Never Given to School
Floyd Tinsley, Died After Receiving Vaccination in School

"Thorough investigation of all the facts surrounding the death of Floyd M. Tinsley, the 12-year-old son of W. G. Tinsley, 2323 Prospect avenue, which resulted from an infected vaccination wound, will be made by the boy's parents as soon as possible, and every effort will be made to place the blame for any negligence that may have caused the child's death.
"Somebody has got to answer for the boy's death," said Mr. Tinsley last night. "Somebody is responsible for it, and I'm going to find out who it is."

The vaccination, which took place in the Irving school three weeks ago Tuesday was, it is said, performed contrary to the wishes of the parents. Mr. Tinsley wished to deny the statement of an afternoon paper, which said that he had written to the school's authorities asking that the child be vaccinated.

"It's a lie," said he; "no note was ever written by me to the school about the vaccination. I would not have had it done. I have always been opposed to vaccination, and when Floyd was vaccinated it was without my knowledge."


"Three weeks ago three of the five Tinsley children were vaccinated at the Irving school by Dr. Hasbrouck De Lamater, whose office is at Thirty-fifth street and Brooklyn avenue. A few days after the vaccination Floyd's arm began to trouble him. A pasteboard guard had been placed over the vaccination wound and the boy given instructions not to remove it. Over a week ago the wound became so foul and so much refuse matter collected around it that the boy's mother thought it best to take off the cap and dress the wound with antiseptic. This she did, using powdered burnt alum as a healing medicine, and bandaging the wound with medicated cotton and clean, white cloth three times each day.

Sunday afternoon Floyd was so much worse that he was kept in bed. Late Sunday afternoon the family physician, B. F. Watson, who lives at Howard and Prospect avenues, was called in. He examined they boy and, according to his own statement and that of the boy's parents, administered calomel and salts. The mother told him of the condition of the boy's arm and, according to Mrs. Tinsley, Dr. Watson washed it out with hot water and boric acid. Dr. Watson denies the washing of the wound.

"It was late, and the light in the room was insufficient," stated," stated the doctor last night. "I really didn't know what was the matter with the boy, but no thought of possible infection occurred to me. It was not until I returned to the house Monday morning that I saw the boy had lockjaw, and then I arranged to have him taken to the hospital. It was with my recommendation that the parents allowed Floyd to be taken to the general hospital.


"I was misquoted in the afternoon paper Wednesday. It credits me with saying that infection set up in the wound after it had been dressed by the boy's parents. I did not say that, nor do I pretend to know when infection set in. If the wound became infected before it was dressed by the parents, before the pasteboard guard was removed, then the boy's death was not due to negligence of the parents."

Floyd was taken to the general hospital Monday night, over twelve hours after lockjaw had set in. There he was operated on by Dr. J. Park Neal, who was unable to save his life. Dr. Neal stated last night that everything known to medical science had been tried to save the boy, but that the infection was of too long standing.

Mr. and Mrs. Tinsley have four surviving children: Myrtle, aged 13; William, aged 9; Hazel, aged 7, and Lester, aged 4. Hazel and Myrtle were vaccinated at the same time Floyd was, and Myrtle's arm is now causing much trouble. A physician has been called to treat her in hopes that she may be saved from her brother's fate. Mr. Tinsley and his wife said last night that neither of them knew their children were to be vaccinated. They were emphatic in their stand that none of the rest should be submitted to a similar operation. Floyd Tinsley was in the fourth grade at school and under the supervision of Miss Edna Miller, his teacher, and Miss Gertrude Green, the principal of the Irving school.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

January 10, 1909


Under Immigration Laws He Is a
Charge on Charity.

Dr. J. Park Neal, superintendent of the general hospital, left last night for New York. He will make an inspection of the large hospitals in the East.

An Italian named Joe Rosato who has been ill in the general hospital for some time was taken East by Dr. Neal. Rosato came to this country last month on an Atlantic steamship. A section of the immigration laws compels the steamship company bringing a foreigner to America to take them back home if such an immigrant becomes an inmate of any charitable institution within the year. Rosato will be turned over to the immigration authorities in New York for deportation.

Labels: , , ,

December 13, 1908





Woman Was Shot in the Top of Head.
Pigg Tried to Fire Another
Bullet Into Body When
Police Arrived.

James Monroe Pigg, a liveryman of Deepwater, Mo., shot and fatally wounded his wife, Mrs. Allie Pigg, in the latters room on the second floor of 1108 Euclid avenue at 7 o'clock last night. The ball entered the top of her head, and lodged in the right temple. She will die. Pigg then shot himself in the left breast, but the ball struck a rib, passed around the body and lodged near the spine. Both were taken to the general hospital, where Drs. W. T. Thornton and J. Park Neal operated upon them. Piggs wound is only superficial, and the ball was removed. He is now being guarded at the hospital.


J. D. Gregg, who occupies the flat below Mrs. Pigg, heard five shots, and finding the door to the room licked, notified the police. John R. McCall and Benjamin Goode, plain clothes men, were sent to the house. When they entered the room where the shooting occurred Mrs. Pigg was lying on the floor, bleeding from the wound in her head. Pigg was sitting on the floor beside her, a revolver in his hand. As the officers entered he raised the weapon as if to shoot.

McCall covered the apparantly dazed man with his revolver, not knowing that Pigg was wounded, and said, "Drop that gun." At that Pigg turned the gun to his breast again, and would have fired another shot, but was seized by the officers.

When asked who had done the shooting, Pigg answered promptly:

"I did. She betrayed me. There's no use in holding an inquest." Then he asked that his father, William L. Pigg, of Deepwater, be notified. Still rambling he said his daughter, Mrs. Hortense Burleigh, 808 South Twenty-first street, Omaha, had been here on a visit and that Mrs. Pigg had refused to allow the baby to call her grandma.

"And she wouldn't kiss our daughter, either," he said, "turning only her cheek."

He mentioned a man whom he called "A. P." as being the cause of all his trouble.


Pigg directed the officers to his coat hanging on the hall tree, saying his "dying words" would be found there. One was addresed on the envelope to "the coroner" and the other "to the people" in a scrawling hand.

"With wife betrayed life is not worth living. No inquest is necessary. I committed the deed. Betrayed by A. P. W., me having confidence in him. P. S. -- Wife betrayed me is all and with confidence. Betrayed by a scoundrel, A. P. W. is all. Don't let any man in on your home. He will betray your confidence as this scoundrel betrayed mine. "

A short note to his daughter read: "Dear Hortense. Your mother has betrayed me." Then he speaks of a diamond ring he had bought her for Christmas.

Another note to "Dear papa and mama" reads: "Life is not worth living with my wife. I am in awful disgrace. With love to all, Monroe." On a post-script in the parents' note he scrawled: "Notify father, W. L. Pigg. My name is J. M. Pigg. Betrayed confidence in my wife. Love to Hortense and baby. They care not what I am worth as I have only my wife's love which is not affectionated love. Hortense and baby I am to die."


Mr. and Mrs. Pigg have lived apart for about fifteen years, but he visited her regularly and there appeared to be no trouble between them. Mrs. Pigg made fancy embroidery for the Emery, Bird, Thayer Dry Goods Company.

J. D. Gregg and wife, who have known Mrs. Pigg for six years, said so far as they knew, Pigg had not the least foundation for his suspicions. Mrs. Pigg is 51 years old and Pigg 53.

Mr. Gregg said that Mr. Pigg most always came up here Thursday or Friday of every other week and remained over Sunday with his wife. They went down town together yesterday afternoon and not the least sign of trouble was to be seen. Pigg, he said, was a man who "talked a great deal and said nothing, always talking in a rambling fashion."

All who know Mrs. Pigg say that she is a woman whose character is above reproach and that Piggs mind must have been affected. At the general hospital it was said that he bore symptoms of having taken some drug, probably a strong narcotic. He said while on the table that he was sorry he had not killed himself as there was little to live for now.

William Young, a brother of Mrs. Pigg, and his mother left their home at Knob-noster, Mo., last night for the city. They are said to be among the wealthiest families in that county.

How Pigg happened to shoot his wife in the top of the head is not known, unless she was lying down at the time or leaning toward him in a chair. Five bullet holes are in the room and the shells were picked up by the officers. Pigg's gun was loaded again when he was found.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

October 8, 1908


Patients Will Be Moved From the
Old Building Today -- There's
Room for 400.

Soon after Dr. J. Park Neal, house surgeon, had given the signal to throw open the doors of the new general hospital yesterday morning, the visitors began arriving. The whole building was open for inspection from the kitchen in the basement up to the fourth floor. Those interested in the institution roamed at will through the wards and operating rooms and the nurses quarters.

Entering the main door of the hospital building the visitors were met by the white-coated interne, who welcomed the people and extended an invitation for everyone to feel at home. In the office to the left of the entrance of the building the telephone switchboard was dotted here and there with lights of the calls from the various wards, while the clerical force seemed to be busy getting things in order. The house surgeon spent most of his time during the day in his office, shaking hands with the physicians and surgeons who called. Dr. Neal endeavored to personally conduct through the building all of the doctors who paid a visit to the city's new institution.

Representatives of several branches of the city government visited the new hospital, while many doctors and their allies, the nurses, were out in force. Others not personally connected with the hospital, but desirous of seeing the well equipped hospital lingered in the halls and operating rooms. Many of the visitors yesterday had at some time or other been patients in the old city hospital and were loud in praise of Kansas City for building and equipping the institution. The visitors came singly, in pairs and in crowds. Dr. Neal said late yesterday afternoon that he believed there were from 200 to 300 people in the building every minute since the doors were first opened at 8 o'clock.

Visitors were allowed to examine the hospital until 10 o'clock last night when the doors were closed and preparations begun to make the long delayed change from the old to the new quarters. The first meal to be served in the new building will be lunch at noon today. From that time on the new city general hospital, which will accommodate 400 patients, will be in full and complete running order. It was strange, but there was not a flower sent to the hospital authorities on the grand opening day, and the omission was noticed by many of the visitors.

Labels: , ,

September 20, 1908


Got a Bruised Head for Interfering
With a Farmer.

A. R. Young, an employe at the Fulton transfer barn, 121 East Fourth street, last night was standing in front of the barn when a farmer boy rode up on a horse. The boy's father at once flew into him and began to whip him severely for riding the horse.

After the farmer had finished whipping the boy he attempted to handle the horse, which made some objections. Then he began whipping the horse. At that juncture Young took a hand and stated in stentorian tones what he intended to do. Just then something happened. A half brick was cast through the air. It may have been aimlessly or otherwise but nevertheless Young stopped it with the upper, southeast corner of his head. A gash several inches in length and a bump the size of a baseball was the result. Dr. J. Park Neal attended Young at the emergency hospital.

"Do you know who hit you?" the doctor asked Young.

"I don't know his name, no, but I know the man by sight. I am making no howl for police protection. All I have got to say is, hold this dump in readiness for an ambulance call at an early date. I have been slugged, ruthlessly pasted by a member of the horny headed Romanry and---"

"You mean horny handed yoemanry, don't you?" was asked.

"Maybe so. Anyway I was close. 'Get even' is to be the password from now on so clean up this place and get ready for work."

Labels: , , , , , ,

August 16, 1908


Morphine Was Administered to Miss
Allen by a Traveling Doctor.

Raving, and in extreme pain, Miss Beulah Allen of Marcelline, Mo., was removed from a Santa Fe train at the Union depot last night. The conductor said that the young woman had boarded the train at Marcelline and was apparently in the best of health. Later she became violently ill and a physician on board the train administered morphine.

Seized with the conviction that she was about to die, Miss Allen called repeatedly for her sweetheart, who lives in Marcelline. The physician who attended her admitted that he could not understand the case nor did he konw what troubled the girl. He said taht she seemed to be in a very serious condition and that death might result at any time.

The ambulance from the emergency hospital was called and the girl given treatment by Dr. J. Park Neal. Dr. Neal said that the girl had suffered from cramps, and that morphine administered by the physician on the train had served to unbalance her mind. No serious results are anticipated.

Labels: , , ,

August 15, 1908





Mrs. Lawson Was Angered Because
Husband Stayed Out All Night.
Mrs. Buerskens Did Not Want
to Be a Burden to Hers.

"To a person suffering from melancholia or to one who is extremely jealous, the reading of so many suicides, especially by the same method, acts as a suggestion and they act --"

Dr. J. Park Neal of the emergency hospital had just given expression to the foregoing opinion last evening when the telephone rang. "Another carbolic acid case," he cried, as he leaped for his satchel. "A woman at 526 Independence avenue."

When the ambulance reached the home of John Davis, 526 Independence avenue, Dr. Neal found Mrs. Mollie Lawson, 27 years old, lying unconscious on a bed. She had drunk probably an ounce and a half of carbolic acid from a bottle only a few minutes before and was in a dying condition. After administering strong antidote at the house the woman was taken to the emergency hospital, where she died at 11 o'clock.


Mrs. Lawson and her husband, Jake Lawson, a bartender, lived at the home of Mrs. Oscar Downing, 601 Independence avenue. When Mrs. Lawson left her rooms about 6:30 o'clock she seemed cheerful. She went straight to the drug store of Morgan and Burton, northwest corner of Independence and Cherry, where she asked C. B. Burton for some carbolic acid, saying she wanted it for a bedbug mixture.

"When she told me that she was going to mix it with a pint of gasoline," said Mr. Burton, "I gave her three ounces, for which she paid 25 cents. I have seen the woman often, knew she was a neighbor, and, from her pleasant demeanor, thought nothing wrong. There have been so many suicides lately that had she been gloomy or appeared nervous, I would have been on my guard. She laughed as we talked, however."

When she left the drug store Mrs. Lawson saw Mrs. Davis in an upper window over the store. Waving her hand to her, Mrs. Lawson said, "I'm coming up, Minnie." When she entered the room Mrs. Davis was lying on a pallet by the bed. Seating herself, she said, "Go out and get me some chile, will you, John?"


As Davis left the room Mrs. Lawson arose and walked to the center of the room. Turning up the three ounce bottle, she drank until she choked. Just at that juncture Mrs. Davis entered the room.

"When I asked her what she was doing," said Mrs. Davis, "she made no reply. then I saw the acid on her lips and smelled it. I grabbed for the bottle and she cast it from her and fell back on the bed.

Lawson, who was at the saloon of Joseph Woods, 700 Independence avenue, was quickly summoned. First they tried to get a doctor in the neighborhood, but one could not be found and the ambulance was summoned. They tried to administer whisky to her, but having no stomach tube failed to get it beyond her mouth.

When asked for a reason for his wife's act, Lawson said: "Well, I guess sit was because I stayed away from home all night last night. I was with some friends, and told her so this morning. She upbraided me for it this morning, but by evening I thought she was all right.

Lawson said that his wife was of a jealous disposition, and on Wednesday a week ago after a little quarrel, bought an ounce of carbolic acid. She returned to the house and attempted to drink it in his presence, but the bottle was knocked from her hands. Both of them were burned on the hands and arms at that time. He said his wife read of all the recent suicides and discussed them, especially the death of Anna May Williams on Tuesday.

Late last night oxygen was still being administered to Mrs. Lawson and artificial respiration used to keep her alive. There seems little hope of her pulling through.

Labels: , , , ,

August 12, 1908





Mother of May Williams Had Her
Committed to Reform School.
Girl Took Poison Rath-
er Than Go.

On the night before her wedding, and on the eve of being sent to the girl's reform school, pretty little May Williams committed suicide by drinking carbolic acid in the presence of her mother and Mrs. W. W. Smith, an officer of the juvenile court. Miss Williams was heiress to $15,000 and her life within the last three months had been a checkered one.

Two months ago, a few weeks after her mother had married Sol Mead, a railway conductor, Miss Williams was sent to the juvenile court, charged with being incorrigible. Mrs. Smith, the probation officer of the Detention home, thought the girl should be in a better place than the home. Consequently, according to Mrs. Alice Page, the matron of the Y. W. C. A. home at Eighth and Harrison streets, arrangements were made whereby the girl was taken to the Y. W. C. A. home. Mrs. Page found the girl to be anything but incorrigible.

A short while ago it became rumored that Miss Williams was to be married today. Shortly after the rumor became public, and the girl admitted that she intended to marry this morning, she was taken from the Y. W. C. A. home and hauled back to the Detention home. At her mother's request the reform school authorities decided to take the girl and to keep her for an indefinite length of time.


The threat of the reform school had been made to the girl time and again by her mother, Mrs. Mead, and each time Miss Williams had replied that she would die before she went to the institution. Mrs. W. W. Smith accompanied her to her home, 816 Euclid avenue, in order that the girl might pack her trunk. On the way home the girl told Mrs. Smith that she was going to commit suicide. After the two had reached the Mead home, Miss Williams sat in the parlor and talked to her mother of the reformatory. Rising, she said:

"I will die first, and it will be before your eyes."

Whether any attention was paid to the girl's remarks has not been learned. At any rate, she was allowed to leave the presence of the court probationary officer and her mother, with the threat of suicide fresh upon her lips, and over fifteen minutes passed before she was missed. The court officer was present all of that time, and it is said she had heard the threat which the girl made.

In the meantime Miss Williams had gone to the Woodland pharmacy, three blocks away, convinced the druggist that her mother wanted three ounces of carbolic acid, and walked back home again. When she reached her home she walked up the back steps and raised the bottle of carbolic acid to her lips. She had heard footsteps approaching and desired to be successful in her attempt to end her life. At that moment Mrs. Smith caught sight of the girl and called to Mrs. Mead, the mother. With both women looking at her, standing as if rooted to the floor, the girl drank the contents of the bottle and then murmured:"Now, I suppose you are satisfied."

Instantly the probation officer ran to he 'phone and called a doctor and neighbors. Someone called the police ambulance and Dr. J. Park Neal.


Dr. A. H. Walls, who lived in the immediate neighborhood, was called. He replied that he could not get to the Mead home for twenty-five minutes. Ten of those twenty-five had elapsed when someone called the police ambulance. The ambulance made a rapid run and arrived at the home of the Williams girl shortly after Dr. Walls had arrived. As Dr. J. Park Neal, probably the most successful combater of carbolic acid suicides in Kansas City, jumped from his ambulance he was met by Mrs. Smith and Dr. Walls. They told him that the girl was dead an d that nothing could be done for her. Taking Dr. Walls's word for it, and knowing Mrs. Smith as a court officer, he did not attend the girl, but went back to the emergency hospital.

As the ambulance turned the corner of Eighth street an undertaker's wagon appeared around the corner of Ninth street. No one knows who called it. By that time Dr. E. R. Curry arrived and pronounced the girl alive. She had been alive all of the time and lived for three hours after she had taken the poison.

"Could she have been saved had you attended her when you were at the house?" was asked Dr. Neal.

"I believe she could," he said. "In fact, I know she could have been saved. But I took Mrs. Smith's and Dr. Wall's word for final. I had no reason to believe the girl was still alive."

Dr. Neal could not understand why he was turned away while there was hope that the girl might not be dead.

Long before the girl was really dead, another undertaker's ambulance had driven up to the front door, and the neighbors looked on and wondered. No one could be found who would admit calling the second undertaker's ambulance.

Mrs. Mead, the girl's mother, says she is heart broken and will see no one. A doctor was called to see her.

May Williams was a beautiful young girl of uncertain age. Her mother swore in court that May was but 15 years old, while May swore that she was 17. Had the girl been 15 years old three years would have expired before she attained her majority; 17 years of age meant only one year until she came into the $15,000 which her father had left her.


Last spring May Williams won the prize in St. Louis as being the most beautiful unmarried woman in Missouri. The prize was given by a local newspaper. Everywhere she went her beauty was remarked upon. In St. Louis, say those who knew her there, she was not considered incorrigible, nor even wayward.

Mrs. Mead was divorced from her first husband and May lived with him until his death. In his will he left May $15,000, and, it is said, cut off his divorced wife without one cent. At the time of the Williams divorce, which occurred in St. Louis, the whole family history was aired.

Mr. Mead, who is a conductor on the Chicago & Alton railroad, has not been notified of his step-daughter's death. He is expected in from his run this morning at 10 o'clock.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

July 26, 1908


Sidewalk Restoratives Applied to Fit
Sufferer in the North End.

Little Alphonso Baker, a 10-year-old negro boy from Pine Bluff, Ark., fell on the sidewalk at Fourth and Holmes streets yesterday afternoon in a fit. The Italians ran out of the stores nearby and endeavored to revive him. One man poured vinegar over the boy, while another emptied a bottle of beer in his face. An old woman greased his lips with lard. Somebody thought of the emergency hospital and had the ambulance called. Alphonso was treated by Dr. J. Park Neal at the emergency hospital.

Labels: , , , , , ,

July 9, 1908





King's Injuries Are Serious and Sa-
loonkeeper's Case Will Be Pre-
sented to Grand Jury -- Was
Struck From Behind.

Jack Gallagher, Democratic politician, former policeman and saloonist, assaulted Albert H. King, a reporter for The Journal, while the two were in friendly conversation in the street in front of police headquarters late yesterday afternoon. Frank Frost a reporter for the Kansas City Star, who Gallagher says was scheduled for a like assault, escaped the brute strength of the big saloonkeeper by rushing into the police station to call out officers to ave King.

Gallagher was arrested, but immediately began a legal battle to gain his freedom. Milton J. Oldham, a lawyer hurried to the holdover from the police board rooms but his efforts to get the prisoner released were fruitless. Mr. King was taken to the emergency hospital, where the surgeons in attendance declined to examine him until the shock he had sustained had worn off. His injuries were later discovered to be serious, and John W. Hogan, an assistant prosecuting attorney, was called to take the injured man's statement. The assistant prosecutor at once placed a bar against the release of Gallagher by stating that he would prepare a serious charge against him, to be served immediately if political friends of the saloonist politician should succeed in getting the police department to accept a bond.

Mr. King, who is a reporter for The Journal assigned to police duty, is still at the emergency hospital. He is not an able-bodied man because of injuries received in the Spanish-American war, and the attending physicians fear his injuries may prove permanent.


Yesterday afternoon, Mr. King attended a meeting of the board of police commissioners The board had before it charges against Gallagher for selling liquor on Sunday at 8 East Fourth street, directly across the street from the entrance to Central police station, and operating a crap game at his other saloon, 310 Independence avenue. The charges regarding the last named place were postponed until the next meeting, but the board closed the Fourth street place. Milton J. Oldham, attorney for Gallagher, stated last night that the board promised him they would give Gallagher a chance and let his Independence avenue saloon run, but that the Sunday selling at 8 East Fourth street has been so flagrant a violation of the board's orders that the license would have to be forfeited.

Gallagher and Mr. King have been acquaintances for some time, and, immediately after the court meeting Gallagher invited Mr. King to go across the street and take a drink before the police closed his place. Mr. King declined, stating that he was too busy at that time. On the stairs a few minutes later Gallagher again extended the invitation and again Mr. King, who was busy about his day's work, declined.

In the press room on the main floor of the city hall Mr. King and Frank Frost, a reporter for the Kansas City Star, were discussing various orders made by the police board a few minutes later when Gallagher opened the door and with a smile, asked the two across to his place.

"I guess we had better go," said Frost.

"Cheer up," said Gallagher to Mr. King, and the latter reached for his cane and the three went into the street.

Gallagher's place, the one soon to be closed by the board's order, made earlier in the afternoon, is immediately across Fourth street from the main entrance to the Central police station. It was there that Gallagher, growing reckless in his prosperity as a saloonkeeper, had openly sold liquor on Sundays until the place was raided by the police from the Walnut street station a week ago last Sunday. It was the evidence secured in this raid which the police board considered sufficient for revoking the license.


As Mr. King, who, on account of former injuries, must carry a cane to steady himself, stepped from the curb into the street, Gallagher fell back a step between Mr. King and Mr. Frost. Just as they reached the center of the narrow street Gallagher took a hurried step forward and struck Mr. King in the forehead. The reporter fell to the pavement.

Mr. Frost immediately hurried back into the police station door and called to the assembled officers and men:

"Jack Gallagher is killing King."

Knowing Gallagher as a "bad" man, every police officer in the station was alert in an instant. Patrolman John J. Crane hurriedly took a pistol from the desk and Captain Walter Whitsett and Detective Inspector Charles Ryan, both shut off from the main lobby of the station, hurried to the door. Patrolman Joseph Welsh followed.

In the meantime in the street Mr. King was at the mercy of the brutal saloonkeeper. Gallagher struck him again as he tried to get up , and then kicked him in the back. Mr. King rolled over, and the big saloonkeeper brought his heel down on the right side of the reporter's face, cutting a jagged wound across the face. As he kicked Mr. King in the ribs Patrolman Patrick Boyle grappled with him. He had reached the street ahead of Captian Whitsett, Inspector Ryan and Patrolman Crane, the latter being the only armed man in the crowd.


Gallagher did not resist arrest, as the police had expected, and was led into the station door, but a few feet away, by Boyle, while Captain Whitsett, Inspector Ryan and newspaper reporters who had hurried from the press room at the head of the stairs, picked up the inured man Gallagher, was locked up, charged with investigation, and Mr.King was carried around the corner of the building to the emergency hospital.

Upstairs in the police board rooms Commissioners A. E. Gallagher and Elliot H. Jones were just leaving their chairs. They heard the commotion in the central station below and went down to investigate. When they learned the circumstances of the assault, both commissioners became agitated. Commissioner Galagher went to the commanding officer's desk and admonished those in charge to hold Jack Gallagher, the saloonkeeper, unless a heavy bond was furnished.

"I don't think he ought to be released uner any circumstances," said Commissioner Jones.

The assault was considered unusually brutal by police officers and other witnesses, and the story soon reached the office of R. L. Gregory, acting mayor, Gus Pearson, city comptroller, and John Murray, formerly a newspaper reporter, saw the assault from the corner of Fourth and Main sterets as they were boarding a street car. They went at once to the emergency hospital and soon were joined by Mr. Gregory.


The acting mayor asked Mr. King about the assault and then went at once to police headquarters, where he gave orders that Gallagher be held without bond. Mr. Gregory was closeted with Captain Walter Whitsett for several minutes and, when he emerged from the captain's office, assured those outside that the prisoner would be held for the customary twenty-four hours, when a charge must be placed against him. Assistant Prosecutor Hogan had taken Mr. Kin's statement by that time, and stated that if Gallagher's attorney saw fit to sue out a writ of habeas corpus he would have the prisoner held for the prosecutor. Mr. Hogan said he would call the assault to the attention of the grand jury this morning.

Immediately after Attorney Oldham appeared, Jack Spillane and Patrick Larkin, the latter a Sixth ward politician, were called tot he station to furnish bond.

When told that no bond would be accepted Oldham demanded that a charge be placed against Gallagher. He boasted that he would clear the saloonkeeper of any charge which would be brought Spillane, a sidewalk inspector for the city, was very angry when he found he not furnish a bond big enough to get his slugger friend out of the holdover. Thoroughly baffled, the trio later telephoned for a dinner to be served the prisoner and left the station.

Mr. Oldham and Gallagher told him that he had intended to assault Frank Frost, the Kansas City STar reporter, who went into the street with him and Mr. King, but failed because the police got action too quickly for him.

"He told me," said Mr. Oldham, "that King had double-crossed him and was responsible for his Fourth street pace being raided."

Mr. King, who knew of the flagrant violation of the Sunday law by Gallagher, did not have anything to do with the raid. He had not written a line about the place for the paper which employs him and had told Tom Gallagher as much when the latter, a week ago, asked him why he was "sore at his brother Jack.

"Jack is my friend," was the reply Mr. King made to Tom Gallagher.


Previous to his career as a newspaper reporter Albert King had been an invalid for many months. He had received injuries in the Philippine islands while in the army and had wlaked on crutches a long time after being mustered out of the service. Mr. King was enlisted in the army here as a private in the Thirty-second United States infantry in July, 1899. He sailed for the Philippines in September the same year. In the islands he became regimental sergeant major.

On the night of August 5, 1900, while the building where he was quartered was under fire, he fell down a flight of stone steps while attempting, in pajamas and cartridge belt, to get to the first floor to consult with his superior officer. He was an invalid in a Manila hospital and later at the Presidio, San Francisco. December 28, 1900, he was mustered out of service and sent to his home, 3031 Wabash avenue, Kansas City.

Mr. Kings injuries from the assault include an injured spine and a severe shock to his legs, which were so long paralyzed. The right side of his face is cut and bruised and the attending physician, Dr. J. Park Neal, feared last night that blood poisoning might result from the jagged wound in his face. His ribs on both sides are injured, but the physician had not discovered if any were fractured because the injured man was in too great pain to permit a thorough examination.


In regard to the standing of Jack Gallagher as a saloonkeeper, Commissiner Elliott H. Jones last night said:

"It was reported to the police commissioners taht Gallagher's place on East Fourth street was open on Sunday and after closing h ours. For this reason the board refused to grant him a renewal of his license to operate that saloon."

Mr. Jones was asked if he thought Gallagher a fit man to run a saloon or if he deemed him worthy of the privelge after having made such a brutal attack upon a man as he had done upon Albert King. Mr. Jones said he could not answer that question without going into the case to greater extent than he had already done.

Commissioner Jones was then asked: "If any manmakes an attack on another while walking on the street while the victim is under the impression that there is no feeling of hostility between them; if the attack be sudden and unexpected and very brutal in its nature, should such a man be granted the privelege of owning and operating a saloon?"

The commissioner refused to answer the question.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

June 13, 1908


Wounded Lad Taken to Place of
Safety by Herculean Comrade.

Sheriff J. S. Steed of Johnson county, Kas., brought to this city last night for treatment O. C. Oberman, 18 years old, who had been shot at Corliss, Kas., yesterday morning. With him is Mike Stanislauski, 23 years old.

The youths left Topeka yesterday, and when they reached Corliss, Kas., it was raining. They were on foot and, as the depot there was unoccupied, they raised a window and entered.

"We had been in there but a few minutes," said Oberman, "when a young man whom I later learned was the son of a local merchant, came to the depot and ordered us out. He drew a revolver and struck me over the forehead. With the blood streaming down my face we made haste to get out. We had not gone ten feet, when he began to shoot at us, and the bullet went through my right knee."

Oberman said that Stanislauski carried him over a half mile through water up to his knees to where the ground was dry. Stanislauski was afraid to leave Oberman in the town. While Stanislauski was seeking aid a work train came along and the crew picked up the wounded boy and took him to Wilder, Kas., a station beyond where he had left Oberman.

While sitting on the station platform there debating what he would do Stanislauski said a constable came in a buggy two hours later and drove him to De Soto.

Sheriff Steed says he received word from the Santa Fe Company at Topeka to take the two men into custody. When he heard the story, however, he arrested the man who did the shooting and lodged him in jail in Olathe, Kas., the county seat. The sheriff said the man gave the name of Paul.

Oberman was taken to emergency hospital last night, where he was treated by Dr. J. Park Neal. Dr. Neal said that the wound was a serious one, as it involved the knee joint. This morning he will be removed to St. Joseph's hospital. He has an uncle in Detroit, Mich., who will be notified.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

August 31, 1907


Back Bar Fell on James Leary at
Sixth and Oak.

The unloading of barrels of beer at the saloon of James Leary, Sixth and Oak streets, yesterday afternoon caused the back bar to fall, striking Leary on the head and shoulders and felling him to the floor. Dr. J. Park Neal found a "horseshoe-shaped" cut of large dimensions on the top of Leary's head, extending into the skull. His right shoulde was bruised, as was also the hand on that side, which he had thrown up for protection. After his wounds were dressed at emergency hospital he was taken to his home, Sixth and Cherry streets.

Labels: , , , , , ,

August 27, 1907


Silver Tube in Throat Became Dis-
placed During a Fight.

In a fight with a street car conductor near Fifth street and Broadway yesterday afternoon, a silver tube in the throat of Antonio Habto, through which he breathed, was pushed out of place, and only through prompt surgical attention the man was saved from asphyxiation. Rabto is a barber, 67 years old, and lives at 1307 West Ninth street. He boarded a westbound Fifth street car and tendered the conductor a transfer not good on that line. An argument followed. Rabto claims that the conductor then choked him, and that the tube in his throat was pushed inward and to one side, causing it to become clogged up in such a manner as to almost entirely cut off his breathing. A police ambulance was summoned, and Dr. J. Park Neal, an ambulance surgeon, administered treatment while tha man was being removed to the emergency hospital At the hospital the tube was properly replaced.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

June 19, 1907


Negress Attempts Suicide When Jury
Finds Her Guilty.

Just after Sallie Tyler, a young negress, had been brought back to the county jail after her trial and sentenced to four years in the penitentiary in Judge E. E. Porterfield's division of criminal court for stealing a watch from D. L. Goosey, she drank half a can of concentrated lye. She was taken to the emergency hospital at police headquarters and treated by Dr. J. Park Neal, who said last night that she would recover.

The girl had threatened suicide whle the jury was out. She told Deputy Marshal M. B. Olson, who was assigned to conduct her from the jail to the court room and bring her back, that she would kill herself if the jury sentenced her to the penitentiary.

She had access to the lye because she had been a trusty in the women's portion of the jail and had the superintending of the other women prisoners who do the scrubbing about the jail. She cut a hole in the top of the box of lye with a scissors, poured half of the contents into a tin cup, and drank it with water. The other women prisoners thought she was taking a drink of water until after she fell on the floor.

Labels: , , , ,


Get the Book
Vintage Kansas City Stories ~ Early 20th Century Americana as Immortalized in The Kansas City Journal
Kansas City Stories

Early Kansas City, Missouri

The Son of Jesse James is Accused of a Train Robbery at Leeds ... Can he get a fair trial in Kansas City?
The Trial of Jesse James, Jr.

>>More KC Books<<

As an Amazon Associate this site may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

The History and Heritage of Vintage Kansas City in Books
Vintage Kansas
City Bookstore

Powered by Blogger

Vintage Kansas

Vintage Antique Classics ~ Vintage Music, Software, and more Time Travel Accessories

In association with
KC Web ~ The Ultimate Kansas City Internet Directory