Find Rare Kansas City Antiques and Collectibles at the Vintage Kansas City Marketplace ~ Own a Piece of Old KC

Vintage Kansas - A Celebration of Kansas City Past!


Old News from Kansas City - Vintage New Items
Headlines and Articles from The Kansas City Journal

Business Office...4000 Main
City Editor.....4001 Main
Society Editor....4002 Main

Two cents. Subscription Rates:  By carrier, per week, 10 cents; per month, 45 cents.  By mail, daily and Sunday, one month, 40 cents; three months, $1.00; six months, $2.00; one year, $4.00.  Sunday only, six months, 75 cents; one year, $1.50.  Weekly Journal, 25 cents one year.

Like Vintage Kansas City on Facebook

As We See 'Em ~ Caricatures of Prominent Kansas Cityans

The Isis Theatre ~ Kansas City, Missouri

The History of Fairmount Park

Claims of Cancer Cured by Dr. Bye in Vintage KC Missouri

Special Cut Prices ~ Always the Same

Blogging Fusion Blog Directory

December 4, 1909


Enraged Feline Held on Till Head Is
Severed From Body.

While a mad cat, its teeth fastened into the chin of Mrs. F. A. Petitt, clawed and scratched her face in a frenzy caused by the approach of a bulldog, the woman's brother-in-law, summoned by her screams for help, cut the cat's head off with a pocket knife.

Mrs. Petitt's eyes were not injured. Her hand received an ugly wound from the knife.

Mrs. Petitt lives at 3020 College avenue. She was returning home yesterday morning through her back yard from a visit to a neighbor when she picked up the cat, a large maltese, nearly full grown. She petted it. The animal seemed to resent any display of affection.

A large bulldog, belonging to Mr. Petitt, came running from the porch to meet the woman. Crazed with fear, the cat sprang for Mrs. Petitt's face. Its needle-pointed teeth sank into the flesh and held on tenaciously, the cat scratching the woman's face and hands in a terrible manner. For five minutes the woman, screaming and terrorized, battled with the cat. H. M. Roxby, her brother-in-law from Yates Center, Kas., who is visiting at the Petitt home, hearing calls for help, ran to her rescue.

Finding that it was impossible to force the maddened cat to release its hold, Mr. Roxby used his pocketknife to cut its throat.

As the knife blade all but severed the cat's head, it penetrated Mrs. Petitt's hand. Mrs. Petitt fainted.

Dr. Herbert A. Breyfogle dressed the wounds and said that aside from leaving a few scars they will not prove serious. Mrs. Petitt's head is bandaged so that she can hardly eat or talk. She is a linotype operator on an afternoon newspaper.

Labels: ,

September 20, 1909


Four Attack Harry Jenkins After
Spitting on Sister's Dress.

Harry Jenkins, 17 years old, living at Sixteenth and College streets, was walking west on Fifteenth street near Prospect avenue last night with his two sisters, Minnie and Mamie, both younger than himself, when they passed a group of three or four ruffians, one of whom spat on the Sunday dress worn by one of the sisters.

"Do you take my sister for a spittoon?" asked the brother resentfully.

At this the toughs attacked young Jenkins, knocked him down and all of them kicked him viciously before the screams of his sisters attracted Officer Jesse Kemp, instructor in pistol practice on the police force, in front of whose house the attack was made.

The ruffians took to their heels when the policeman ran out. None of them was caught.

Labels: , , , , ,

September 24, 1909


Served in Volunteer Regiment
Throughout Civil War.

Captain Aaron P. Ashbrook, senior member of the Ashbrook Investment Company, with offices in the Sheidley building, died as the result of a paralytic stroke yesterday morning at his home, 1400 College avenue. He had been ill nearly a month.

Captain Ashbrook was born 76 years ago on a farm in Fairfield county, O. When the civil war began he raised a company of light infantry for the Seventeenth Ohio volunteers, and served until the close as captain. Following the military example of his father one son, Lieutenant Roy M. Ashbrook, is in the army, and is now stationed at Fort McPherson, Ga.

After a short period spent in the dry goods business in Fairfield, Captain Ashbrook married Miss Margaret Faine and moved with her to Kansas City, where he engaged in the real estate business. That was twenty-five years ago. Fifteen years ago, feeling his health failing, he retired from active business, and since then he has traveled in search of health. His wife has been dead many years.

Funeral arrangements have not been made, but it is thought the funeral will be in Harrisonville, Mo.

The following children survive:

Lieut. R. M. Ashbrook, U. S. A., Fort McPherson, Ga.; T. P. Ashbrook, Kent, Ill.' Mrs. Caroline Oldham, Kansas City; Mrs. Addie Sexton, Mrs. Blanche Hutchens, Mrs. Minette Galt and Miss Faye Ashbrook, all of Alhambra, Cal.

The will of Captain Ashbrook was filed yesterday for probate, and Mrs. Oldham was appointed administratix by the court. The will leaves $500 to Margaret Faye Ashbrook and the balance in equal shares to his other children and two grandchildren. No value is placed on the estate.

Labels: , , , , ,

February 10, 1909



Wife Is 72 Years Old, but She
Doesn't Look It, While Biggs
Is as Youg as He

Age hasn't a thing to do with it when Dan Cupid gets busy with his up-to-date noiseless gun. Carefully he trained his love-dealing instrument upon the hearts of Edward Biggs, 95 years old, and Mrs. Mary Adams, 72. Cupid's work began three years ago. Last night they were married at the home of the bride's son, William Adams, 2633 College avenue. Earlier in the day they had appeared at the county courthouse for a marriage license, both cold and happy. The son, Wiliam Adams, had talked with Recorder Frank Ross over the telephone and broke the news thus:

"There is an old man who wants to marry my mother and she seems to want to marry him. Can you let them have a license?"

And now the knot is tied and for the third time Biggs has "taken unto himself a wife." The ceremony was a peculiar one, performed in the presence of many close friends and relatives by Rev. J. L. Thompson, pastor of the Forest Avenue Christian church, whre the romance began.

There were no groomsmen, no bridesmaids, no ring bearer, no music, just theminister and the smiling old couple. The ceremony was short, but it was a sweet one," as Mrs. J. C. Smith, the old man's daughter, expressed it after the wedding.

Agfter the ceremony, groups of visitors gathered about the piano in the parlor and sang such songs as "God Be With You," "I Need Thee Every Hour," and "Nearer My God to Thee." Biggs and his wife sat silently in a far corner of the parlor and listened.

Both Mr. Biggs and his new wife are devoted members of the Christian church.

"I think they will be happy," said Mr. Biggs's daughter. "They are going to housekeeping right away, though the location has not been selected as yet."

Biggs was born in London, December 16, 1813. He remembers well when Queen Victoria was but a slip of a girl, and he can tell of the day on which the present King Edward was born. He came to Kansas City about thirty years ago and engaged in the hotel business. He has acquired a competence by many years of work and intends to remain out of active business life.

He is one of the oldest contiuous subscribers to The Journal. He began taking the paper in 1847.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

March 19, 1908



Post Card Picture May Lead to the
Identity of This "Doorstep
Youngster's" Mother.
Was Well Supplied.

Late yesterday afternoon little Pat, the week-old baby who was found in a hallway at 584 Harrison street at 11:45 Tuesday night, was taken from the matron's room at police headquarters to St. Anthony's home, at Twenty-second street and College avenue. Mrs. Lizzie Burns, the police matron who went with the ambulance and got the little fellow and named him Pat in honor of St. Patrick's day, remained up all day to care for the baby. She is on night duty.

The baby was found in a hallway adjacent to the home of Mrs. E. T. Pope, and her son notified the police. The child was well supplied with all baby necessaries, and was wrapped in a black cloak. In searching the cloak yesterday, Mrs. Joan Moran, the other matron, found a picture postcard. The card is addressed to Mrs. Addie Esters, 301 Kickapoo street, Leavenworth, Kas. It was mailed in that city on May 4, 1907, and on the side with the picture is signed the name of Mattie Adams. The card was turned over to F. E. McCrary, Humane agent, who said he would write to both parities and see if any information could be gained.

A boy baby is the most easily adopted, so managers of foundling homes say. After the story of the finding of little Pat got around there were several applicants for him. Mrs. Burns, the matron who went out and got him, came near keeping him herself.

Mrs. Burns became so attached to the little fellow after she had washed and dressed him yesterday morning that she insisted on keeping out a souvenir of his visit. Pat had plenty of clothes, so Mrs. Burns kept out a pair of tiny little white shoes which were immediately placed on the wall of the matron's room.

"Pat is the finest specimen of real young man that I have seen in a long while," said Mrs. Burns. "Young as he is I tickled him under the chin today and made him laugh. He is also a healthy baby, and just as pretty as can be. He deserves a good home."

Labels: , , , , ,

October 3, 1907


To Be Served With Speeches at Open-
ing of the Boys' Club.

All boys who like Red Hot Coney Island Frankfurters are invited to the grand opening of the Kansas City Boys' Club, Eighteenth street and College avenue, tomorrow night. Admission will be free to any boy in Kansas City, but a ticket must be secured from one of the boys who is a member of the club.

The library and game rooms will be thrown open for use Friday night. There will be speeches by Mayor H. M. Beardsley, the Rev. Daniel McGurk, Professor J. M. Greenwood and other friends of the boys.

Labels: , , , , ,

July 18, 1907


Emma Woolf Had Vial in One Hand
and Revolver in Other.

Emma Woolf, 206 College avenue, Rosedale, committed suicide early yesterday morning by drinking carbolic acid. When found by her husband, Benjamin Woolf, when he returned from work in the Frisco yards at 6:30 o'clock last night, she was lying on the floor with a small vial in her right hand and whthin easy reach of her left lay a loaded 32-caliber revolver. She had evidently contemplated using the latter in case the poison failed to do its work.

Woolf noticed Coroner J. A. Davis, of Wyandotte county, who ordered the body to the Eylar undertaking rooms, Fifteenth and Main streets. Coroner Davis said last night that the body had probably lain since early morning.

Labels: , , , ,

June 27, 1907


For Two Weeks This Runaway Boy
Lived Like the Sparrows.

Because he was afraid he would get a whipping for running away, Fred Vogul, 12 years old, a son of Joseph Vogel, 2313 College avenue, has been sleeping in a bread box on the sidewalk at Twelfth street and Grand avenue for almost two weeks. During that time he has had nothing to eat excepting what he could pick up at random.

Last night Patrolman Charles McVay, while walking along Grand avenue near Independence avenue saw the boy picking up popcorn kernels from beneath a popcorn wagon and eating them. The officer learned that the popcorn was the only thing the boy had eaten in two days. He took the youngster to a nearby restaurant, where a square meal was given him. The way he ate would have made an epicurean dizzy.The boy was taken to police headquarters, where he was placed in the care of the police matron. His father was informed.

Labels: , , , , ,

May 14, 1907


In the Juvenile Court Yesterday
Judge McCune Lectured the
Father When He Objected
to the Decision.

Seven little boys, from 9 to 12 years of age, charged with being the "Sixteenth Street Gang," train hoppers and coal thieves, were before Judge McCune, of the juvenile court, yesterday afternoon.

"The boys sit on the rails of the Belt line tracks," said James H. Knapp, of the Knapp & Coumbe Construction Company, a witness, "and try to scare the engineer of the approaching trains. When the engine is within a few feet of them, they jump up like frogs and get off the track. If the engineer sticks his head out of the cab to talk to them, they make finger signs at him."

There were other witnesses against the boys -- three truancy officers and W. K. Miller, flagman for the Belt line at Sixteenth street. They said that the boys made a practice of stealing coal and hopping on trains.

"I pointed out to the boys," Miller told the court, "the place where a boy was killed last year jumping on a train. It wasn't ten feet from where these boys repeat the practice. But they only laughed at me.

"They sit up on the cars and kick the coal off. Then they get down, pick it up, and haul it away in little wagons. The gang has two wagons."

The seven boys before the court were; Willie Eft, 10 years old; Martin Eft, 9 years old, both of 1511 College avenue; Henning Broman, 12 years old, of 3113 East Sixteenth street; Harry Wright, 11 years old, of 3208 East Sixteenth street, Edward Blickhan, 11 years old, and Harris Blickhan, 10 years old, both of 1612 College avenue; Earl Frizzell, 12 years old, of 3208 East Sixteenth street.

All of the boys, with the exception of Earl Frizzell, admitted that they hopped on trains and stole coal. The Blickhan boys took the coal home and the other s sold it for 15 cents a wagon load, they said. Willie Eft and Henning Broman owned the two wagons.

Edward J. Blickhan, father of the Blickhan boys, appeared to defend his offspring, but he did more harm than good. He told the court that they had been sick with tonsillitis for two weeks and could not go to school. He denied all knowledge of their bringing coal home, but the court stated that he preferred to believe the boys' own statement that they had brought coal home and put it in the box by the kitchen stove. When the Blickhan boys were rounded up by the truancy officers last Thursday their hair hung over their shoulders and they were so ragged that Miller told the officers that he thought they were orphans. Yesterday afternoon they wore new suits and had their hair clipped short.

Judge McCune turned Earl Frizzell loose, as he had been with the "gang" only one day, ordered a home in the country found for Willie Eft and released the other boys with the understanding that they attend school and quit playing among the railway yards.

When Blickhan protested against the court holding his boys, Judge McCune said:

"You don't care if your boys get killed playing in the yards, so long as they fill your coal box. I don't want to hear another word from you. You have violated the law yourself."

Henry Eft, 13 years old, a brother of Willie and Martin, now has a reform school sentence hanging over him and is at work.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

April 29, 1907


Mrs. Henry E. Lantry Will Add a
Dormitory to St Anthony's Home.

Mrs. Henry E. Lantry, of 318 West Armour boulevard, has announced to the directors of the St. Anthony's Hospital and Infants' home that she intended to fit up a dormitory of twenty beds in the new building in memory of her son, Henry Jordan Lantry, who died about four months ago. The cost of establishing the memorial room will be about $500.

The women in charge of the home are planning to open the new building in memory of her son, Henry Jordan Lantry, who died about four months ago. The cost of establishing the memorial room will be about $500.

The women in charge of the home are planning to open the new building formally about May 15. Already enough rooms have been fitted through the generosity of friends of the institution to warrant the regular opening. John Long recently furnished an entire suite of eight rooms, and a ward large enough to accommodate fifteen beds. Duff and Repp Furniture Company and the Peck Dry Goods Company have each furnished a reception room in cozy fashion, and the Jones Dry Goods Company are donating the furnishings for a private bed room.

It is planned to make the opening an elaborate affair, in the form of a "pound party," and the management will be assisted by the Elks and the Knights of Columbus lodges. A musical programme will be arranged for the occasion.

St. Anthony's home is a maternal hospital, an infants' home and a day nursery. It is located on Twenty-third street between Walrond and College avenues. The building movement, of which the present commodious structure was the result, was launched several months ago at a meeting addressed by Archbishop Ireland. Donations of from 50 cents to hundreds of dollars were received by the committee in charge until enough money was raised to warrant the building.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,


Get the Book
Vintage Kansas City Stories ~ Early 20th Century Americana as Immortalized in The Kansas City Journal
Kansas City Stories

Early Kansas City, Missouri

>>More KC Books<<

The History and Heritage of Vintage Kansas City in Books
Vintage Kansas
City Bookstore

Powered by Blogger

Vintage Kansas

Vintage Antique Classics ~ Vintage Music, Software, and more Time Travel Accessories

In association with
KC Web ~ The Ultimate Kansas City Internet Directory