Find Rare Kansas City Antiques and Collectibles at the Vintage Kansas City Marketplace ~ Own a Piece of Old KC

Vintage Kansas - A Celebration of Kansas City Past!


Old News from Kansas City - Vintage New Items
Headlines and Articles from The Kansas City Journal

Business Office...4000 Main
City Editor.....4001 Main
Society Editor....4002 Main

Two cents. Subscription Rates:  By carrier, per week, 10 cents; per month, 45 cents.  By mail, daily and Sunday, one month, 40 cents; three months, $1.00; six months, $2.00; one year, $4.00.  Sunday only, six months, 75 cents; one year, $1.50.  Weekly Journal, 25 cents one year.

Like Vintage Kansas City on Facebook

As We See 'Em ~ Caricatures of Prominent Kansas Cityans

The Isis Theatre ~ Kansas City, Missouri

The History of Fairmount Park

Claims of Cancer Cured by Dr. Bye in Vintage KC Missouri

Special Cut Prices ~ Always the Same

Blogging Fusion Blog Directory

February 2, 1910


She Is Happy at Sumptuous Dinner
on Eve of Departure.

Since Peter Isnardi left "Little Italy" three weeks ago, the residents of that section have employed their time chiefly in simmering down their financial losses so as to present them to the county attorney and wondering where the delinquent consular agent went when he left here. Opinion seems to be almost equally divided, some holding that he committed suicide by throwing himself into the Missouri river, and others that he dropped inconspicuously across the line into Mexico where the law would protect him from any embezzlement charge preferred by his enemies.

Those inclined to the latter theory felt themselves vindicated yesterday when it was learned that Signora Marguerite Isnardi also was preparing to leave the city and refused to tell anybody where she was bound.

Before the consular agent left he borrowed heavily from his friend and among those who lost in this manner was Antonio Sansone, living close to the consulate at 653 Cherry street. In part payment of what Isnardi owed Sansone, the signora yesterday turned over to him all her furniture. With her grips and trunk packed she then repaired to a restaurant and had a sumptuous dinner in which it is said wine figured. Several of her friends were present. She was happy.

"Where are you going?" someone asked the signora.

"I am going away; who knows where?" she answered with a characteristic shrug. "Perhaps I will be back soon, perhaps not."

The conversation lagged after that vague bit of information for the simple reason that one party to it could not speak very many English words.

"I am convinced that Signora Isnardi is going to join her husband," said J. P. Deo, editor of the Osservatore, an Italian newspaper at 210 East Fifth street. "Of course, we don't blame her for that, but we are naturally curious as to her destination and she certainly won't tell.

"Since Isnardi left here so suddenly people have been coming to light every day who have lost all the way from $10 to $1,000. The amount of money loaned or entrusted to the care of the man really is enormous when you come to think about it all coming from poor folks.

"A reward of $300 will be offered by the Italians for information leading to the location of Isnardi. First, however, I want to look into the law governing his case. I may also write an open letter to Guido Sabetta, the consul to Chicago."

Labels: , , ,

December 30, 1909


Italian Promises Police Board to
Bar Them in Future.

The board of police commissioners is having a hard time impressing upon the Italians of "Little Italy" the fact that their women must not frequent saloons. In the past some Italian women have b een as much at home in the saloon as in the home; in fact, many of them used to tend bar while their husbands were at meals.

Yesterday Mattaeo La Salla, who has a saloon at Missouri avenue and Cherry street, was before the board for permitting his wife and mother to frequent his saloon. It was some time before Judge Middlebrook could impress La Salla with the fact that there was a law in this state which prevents women from frequenting saloons. The Italian looked worried, puzzled, but he promised that his women folks would keep out of his saloon in the future.

Salino Defeo, 600 East Fifth street, and his bartender were seen twice, it is alleged , to serve a woman with a bucket of beer. Commissioner Marks was closing Defeo's saloon for two days, but, being Christmas week, Judge Middlebrook thought the board should be more lenient and a reprimand was given.

For having a man not in his employ in his saloon at 1:20 a. m. last Friday, John Honl, a saloonkeeper at 7306 East Fifteenth street, was ordered to close his place Friday and Saturday.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

December 4, 1909



Tin Drinking Cup Blamed by Medi-
cal Inspectors, Especially at
Benton -- Several Parochial
Schools Involved.

The medical inspectors going the rounds of the public schools have unearthed diphtheria and scarlet fever zones within the confines of Benton, Washington and Karnes schools. They are also learning from the daily returns of practicing physicians, of the existence of the two maladies among pupils of two or three of the parochial schools, but as the authority of the inspectors does not extend to schools of this description Dr. W. S. Wheeler, sanitary commissioner, has not felt justified in taking any voluntary official notice or action.

Of the parochial schools the worst afflicted is St. John's Parochial school, 534 Tracy avenue. This school, located in a district largely inhabited by Italian children, is conducted by the Sisters of St. Joseph. Yesterday Sister Superior Monica appealed to the health authorities to make an investigation. Dr. H. Delamater, chief inspector, made a personal visit to the school and was informed that ninety of the 160 pupils are detained at home by sickness. Within the last six days cases of scarlet fever have developed among the pupils, and Dr. Delameter fears that many who are home at home may have it. He will have an examination made of the school building as to its sanitary condition, and will have class rooms fumigated.

Washington public school is at the southwest corner or Independence avenue and Cherry street, and the Karnes school is at the northwest corner of Troost avenue and Fourth street. Large numbers of the pupils have scarlet fever, the majority of victims predominating among those attending Karnes school. The diphtheria is not as epidemic as scarlet fever. The attendants of these two schools live in the territory bounded on the south by Admiral boulevard, north by the river, west by Grand avenue and east as far as Lydia avenue. The majority of the cases are north of Fifth street and scatter as far to the east as Budd park. As an assistance to the health authorities in keeping in touch with the exact location of the disease, a large map of the city has been prepared, and when a case of diphtheria develops a green-headed pin is driven into the map, designating a particular territory, and when one of scarlet fever is reported the map is perforated with a red-headed pin.


The map describing the Washington and Karnes school districts is rapidly filling up with the pin indicators, but not as noticeably as the district in which Benton school is situated. At the latter school diphtheria is the most prevalent, and is giving some alarm. The infection is spreading with rapidity. Benton school is at the southwest corner of Thirtieth street and Benton boulevard, in a fashionable and well-to-do neighborhood. There are from twenty to thirty cases of diphtheria among pupils going to this school, and it is feared that the disease got its start from the drinking cups in use there.

"The drinking cup in the public schools is a menace to health and is a communicator and spreader of disease," said Dr. Delamater yesterday. "Its frightful possibilities were fully described by Dr. W. S. Wheeler in his last annual report, and he advises that it be relegated and sanitary fountains installed in the schools. The health of no child is safe when the tin cup is in use. While I am not directly charging the appearance of diphtheria at Benton school to the drinking cup, still there is plenty of room for that suspicion as the school building is new and should be sanitary."

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

October 16, 1909


Wm. Volker's Gift Means Much to
Kansas City People.

The opening reception of the tubercular pavilion, Twenty-second and Cherry streets, the gift of Mr. William Volker to the Jackson County Society for the Relief and Prevention of Tuberculosis, is to be held at 3 o'clock this afternoon.

As this is a great event in the history of Kansas City, everyone is cordially invited to be present at the dedication of the sanitarium, which is to be presented by Frank P. Walsh, president of the society, to the city, through its mayor, Thomas T. Crittenden, Jr.

Addresses will be delivered by Professor Charles Zubelin of New York, Mayor Crittenden, Frank P. Walsh and E. W. Schauffler, medical director of the sanitarium.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

July 20, 1909


Two Families Lost Money and Jew-
elry Sunday.

While the family of D. T. Morris, 2410 Cherry street were at church Sunday morning, a thief broke open the front door and stole $20 in currency besides a diamond ring.

J. J. Kallig of 1429 Madison avenue had practically the same experience. When the family returned from church the house had been entered and $78 had been taken.

Labels: , , ,

June 30, 1909


Then Mrs. Williford Challenges O.
T. Knox to Finish Fight.

When Mrs. Hattie Williford left the witness stand in Judge James H. Slover's division of the circuit court yesterday, she walked straight to where O. T. Knox, an attorney, was sitting and slapped his face. She lives at 1093 Cherry street and had taken umbrage at a question asked her by Knox, who represented Mark Dewey in his divorce suit against Alice Dewey. The latter is a sister of Mrs. Williford.

Mrs. Williford also expressed her determination and willingness to make the fight one to a finish, in or out of the court room. Knox, who has a James J. Jeffries physique, brushed her away before the court attendants arrived.

Judge Slover smiled. No one was fined. The case was not finished yesterday.

Labels: , , , , ,

June 29, 1909



A Jewish policeman, the first Kansas City ever had, arrested an Irishman last night for disturbing the officer's peace.

Max Joffy, formerly a porter in James Pendergast's saloon and later a janitor at the city hall under Mayor Henry M. Beardsley, was appointed a probationary patrolman on the police force yesterday morning along with forty-three other men.

Proudly wearing his new star and swinging a white ash club he entered the drug store of Morton Burger at Independence avenue and Cherry street yesterday afternoon. Frank O. Donnely, paymaster in the city auditor's office, was in the drug store. Knowing Joffy for years he was amused at the Jewish policeman's outfit and burst out laughing.

"Holy St. Patrick, look at the new cop," laughed Donnely, making a grimace, "Oh, you kid!"

Joffy's new found dignity was touched. He placed his hand on Donnelly's back and said:

"I'll teach you to talk that way to an officer. Come on down to the station."

Donnelly rose from the fountain, where he was drinking an ice cream soda, with a glass holder in his hand. Joffy drew his revolver, afterwards found to be unloaded, and with the tags still upon it. Donnelly's Irish spirit ebbed and he submitted. He was taken to the central police station where he was booked for disturbing the peace. He afterward gave bond.

"I know nothing of the merits of the case against Donnelly," said Captain Walter Whitsett last night, "but I do know that a police officer's peace cannot be disturbed, according to the law as it is interpreted by the courts."

Donnelly is a rising young Democratic politician in the Sixth ward. He has been paymaster in the city auditor's office for three years. He lives with his family at 632 Troost avenue.

"I couldn't resist the temptation to have a little fun at Joffy's expense," he said. "I have known the man for five years and had never seen him take offense at a well meant joke before. This is the first time I was ever arrested in my life."


The list of forty-three officers appointed by the board yesterday bears only one Irish name -- that of Daniel R. McGuire, who was made a jailer. There are such cognomens as Obrecht, Zinn, Mertz, Baer, Niemier and Siegfried. They were given clubs, stars and revolvers yesterday afternoon and will be assigned for duty today.

Joffy was not on duty at the time his first arrest was made. He is the first policeman of Jewish descent to be appointed in the city, according to men who have been on the force for many years.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

June 7, 1909


"Festa Dello Statuto" Was Appropri-
ately Celebrated Yesterday.

Yesterday was the "Festa Dello Statuto," which to the Italians is as the Fourth of July is to Americans, and was appropriately celebrated. It is the anniversary of the granting of a constitution to the people by King Carlo Alberto in 1848.

Ferullo's band at Electric park, which is made up almost entirely of Italians, played the "Marcia Reale," the Italian national air, as a number of its programme. Pietro Isnardi, the Italian consul, held a reception yesterday afternoon and at night Ferullo's band went to his residence at 503 Cherry street and gave a concert for the Italian residents who were present en masse.

Labels: , , , ,

May 8, 1909



Charles Zondler, Saloonkeeper, Seri-
ously Injured by Outlaw, Who
Is Captured by Police-
man After Chase.

"I want your money. Hold up your hands."

Charles Zondler, alone in his saloon at Eighteenth and Cherry streets last night at 10 o'clock, looked up into the muzzle of a 38-calibre revolver. He reached for his own gun beneath the bar and the stick-up man shot him twice in the face. The assassin fled from the saloon and darted south through an alley. Zondler fired twice, but missed.

Jerry O'Connell, patrolman on the beat, heard the shots when he was at Nineteenth and Charlotte streets, and caught a glimpse of the flying figure. He cut across lots and headed the man off in the alley. Putting his left hand over the robber's revolver he jammed his own gun close to the fellow's car and brought him to a stop. Then, with the assistance of Patrolman George Brooks, O'Connell marched his prisoner to the Walnut street station.

Zondler, who is an elderly man and has owned the saloon but a few months, was taken to the general hospital in the ambulance from the station. Examination showed that one of the bullets had entered his mouth and passed out through the right cheek. The other bullet entered the left side of the neck and passed out through the right side. He is in a precarious condition.

Lieutenant Michael Halligan put the prisoner through a searching examination at the station. He gave the name of Henry Horton, but a card case had the name of H. S. Seward upon it, and he acknowledged that he sometimes went by that name. Horton admitted to Lieutenant Halligan that he had been arrested in this city before for petty crimes, but said that this was his first attempt at the stick-up game. He had only recently arrived in town, he said, and needed money. A dime and a stamped postcard were in his pockets. Horton asked permission to send the postcard to his mother. He addressed it, "Mrs. W. H. Strain, 3001 Cisna avenue, Kansas City, Kas." On the card he wrote:

"I guess I am gone for good. Come over and see me, Scott."

Horton said that his mother's name was different from his own because she had married twice. He said that he lived at the Kansas City, Kas., address when at home, but had only recently come from Omaha. He made no attempt to deny the act.

Jerry O'Connell, who made the arrest in sensational fashion, is known as the best sprinter in the precinct, if not on the force. He was complimented by Lieutenant Halligan on his capture.

Zondler lives with his family at 3220 East Twenty-third street.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

May 6, 1909


Charles Butler's Body Submerged,
and Hot Water Running.

Charles Butler, 35 years old, was found dead in a bathtub at his rooming house, 1520 Cherry street, last night about 6:30 o'clock. Butler was employed in a pool hall at Fifteenth and Cherry streets, but had formerly been a boilermaker, a prize fighter and a trapeze performer.

J. D. Locke, also a roomer, found the body. He was attracted to the bathroom by the smell of burning wood, burst in the door and found the body of Butler covered with water and in the tub, curled up as though asleep. Hot water from the gas heater was still running and had almost filled the tub. The smell of burning wood came from the wall at the side of the heater, which had become scorched.

Butler was troubled with an affliction of the heart. Death may have been due to this cause.

A letter dated September 25, 1907, was found in his pockets. It was addressed to "My Husband" and signed Myrtle Butler, his wife, to whom he had been married three years previously. Six months ago they separated. Last month she married a man named Harry Thompson and moved away from the city. Butler was seen frequently in the company of a young woman, and two days ago told his landlady that he was about to be married.

Dr. Harry Czarlinsky vivewed the body, but will make a further examination. A brother lives in this city.

Labels: , , , , ,

April 5, 1909


Boys Who Gambled There Over
Priest's Protest Caught by Police.

Disregarding the admonitions of a priest, a crowd of boys between the ages of 12 and 18 years are congregating in the yard of St. Patrick's Catholic church, Eighth and Cherry streets, Sunday afternoons and shooting craps. Neighbors are disturbed by the riotous boys' loud talking to the dice.

While fourteen were indulging in a big game yesterday afternoon four policemen scaled the fence and suddenly dropped into the midst of the "gang." A wild scramble to escape followed by the "bluecoats" corralled all of them and the boys enjoyed a free ride to the police station where they were charged with gambling.

Parents of the youngsters began arriving a few minutes after the culprits had landed behind the bars. Each parent insisted that his boys were not "shooting craps" but the police demanded the $5 appearance bond nevertheless.

Labels: , , , ,

March 29, 1909


George Youngclaus, Formerly a Gen-
eral Contractor, Is Dead.

George Youngclaus, Formerly a General Contractor, Is Dead.

George Youngclaus, 67 years old, who was a choir singer in the old Southern Methodist church before it was torn down years ago, and known as a tenor singer in this city since the civil war, died yesterday at his home, 1016 Cherry street. Mr. Youngclaus is survived by a widow, Elma Youngclaus, and three sons, Herbert, Robert and George Youngclaus, all living in Kansas city. He was born in St. Johns, New Brunswick, his parents having come there from the Shetland Islands. He came to this city from Pittsfield, Mass., in 1869, the year the Hannibal bridge was completed, and engaged in general contracting.

Mr. Youngclaus had a fine tenor voice and was often heard in social gatherings and in church events. He was a member of the Epperson megaphone minstrels.

Funeral services will be from the home at 2:30 o'clock tomorrow afternoon. Burial in Union cemetery.

Labels: , , , , ,

January 27, 1909


Waitress, After Quarreling With Hus-
band Cook, Attempts Suicide.

Because she had quarreled with her husband and feared that he meant to leave her, Dollie Duchaine, 26 years old, 1321 Cherry street, attempted suicide last night by inhaling the fumes from a handkerchief saturated with chloroform. Dr. J. W. Hayward of No. 4 police station attended to the woman.

Duchaine is a cook at Roarke's restaurant. H is wife is a waitress at the same place. James Love, 1000 Independence avenue, who had seen the woman early in the evening, said she told him her husband had become angry over some orders she had given him.

"Words followed," Love said, "and it seems that Duchaine told his wife he was going to leave her. She was down-hearted and depressed when I left her."

A note written by the woman before she took the chloroform was found by Officer Fraser. It was as follows:

"Well, Johnnie if you do what you said you would tomorrow, I don't care what happens to me, so I will take a little sleep from the bottle under my pillow. Your as ever, 'D.' "

Labels: , , , , , ,

January 21, 1909


What's the Difference? Here's a
Bartender's Expert Opinion.

Patrick Cunningham arose as the Noah Webster of the circuit court yesterday. In the division presided over by Judge W. O. Thomas, Cunningham was asked:

"Were you ever drunk?"

"No, sir," said he.

"Were you ever inebriated?"

"I was."

"What is the difference between being drunk and being inebriated?"

"Well, a man can be inebriated and still attend to his business and walk straight and not bother anybody. But he can't always when he is drunk."

"How many drinks does it take to become inebriated?"

But the witness dodged that one.

Still, he should be good authority, for he is a bartender in Tom Noland's saloon at 214 West Fifth street. He is suing Francis X. Bogenschutz, who runs an ale vault on Baltimore avenue, for $10,000 damages, alleging alienation of Mrs. Cunningham's affections.

The Cunninghams have been married for twenty years. He formerly was a peddler and lived at 1117 Cherry street and accumulated some property. The couple first met Bogenschutz about ten years ago. The husband's testimony in his own behalf went to show that there were domestic difficulties so soon as two months after the marriage. He said his wife once rushed at him with a poker and he put out his hand to stop her.

"That is the time she claimed I broker her nose," said he.

"Did you?"

"She might have hit herself with the poker."

The rest of Cunningham's testimony was largely expert evidence on inebriety and the rest of the drink family.

Labels: , , , , , ,

December 27, 1908



Prosecution Will Try to Show That
Woman Had Written Threatening
Letter to Husband Short Time
Before She Shot Him.

At the trial of Rose Peterson, the following letter purporting to be written by Mrs. Peterson to her husband will be introduced:

"It's a good thing you ran today or I would have got you. I would have got you anyway if so many people had not been around. Don't go any place where I may see you! I'll get you if I ever see you, no mater if it's ten years from now. If you ever try to get it I'll follow you, no matter where you go."

This letter was received by Fred Peterson two weeks ago. It was unsigned, but, it was alleged, was in Rose Peterson's handwriting and he showed it to his brother, Frank, saying that his wife had written it. Then Fred told how that very morning as he was passing Eighth and Cherry streets, Rose met him and pointed a revolver at him, but he dodged behind a corner so quickly that she had no opportunity to fire.


Mrs. Peterson was seen at the county jail last night and the letter alleged to have been written by her to Fred Peterson was red. "Did you write that letter?" she was asked.

"I don't know" she answered. "I don't remember whether I did or not."

"Did you and your husband ever have a quarrel about dry goods and did he accuse you with having unlawfully obtained them? Was that your first misunderstanding?"

"I don't know that, either," she said.

"Did you ever point a revolver at your husband on the street; in other words, did you ever attempt to shoot him?"

"You ain't talking to me, I guess."

"How did you happen to have a revolver on the night he was shot on the street? Was it your habit to carry a revolver when attending dances?"

"I won't talk to you. See my lawyer. He will tell you all I've got to say."

The Petersons were married three years ago, when he was 19 years old and she was 16. He was a plumber and earned $13 a week. They lived at the house of Peterson's mother and were apparently very happy until they had a dispute about some dry good that the wife had brought into the house and which the husband insisted that she ought to return. After being married nine months they separated and Peterson moved to California, where he remained until last September. Then he became sick and his mother hastened to his side and brought him back to this city. He got a job here and lived at the home of his mother.


Several months ago Rose Peterson came to the house and asked for her husband. They talked, and several times afterward they were seen in each other's company. Divorce proceedings were instituted by the woman, but after they had reached a certain stage she ceased to pay her lawyer his fees and Peterson, who was also anxious to get the divorce, paid the lawyer $15. At this time, says Frank Peterson, Rose had changed her mind and did not want to get the divorce. She begged her husband to contest the suit, and finally threatened to do him harm, the brother says. He knew that she carried a revolver. His brother said to him once:

"If Rose pulls that gun on you I want you to strike her." Fred replied: "No, I won't do that. I'm going to run."

He did run when she pointed the revolver at him at Eighth and Cherry streets, and after that he avoided her. On the night on which he was shot he had planned to do some Christmas shopping with his mother, but she was taken ill and he was forced to go alone. He was never seen alive again by any friends or family. Mrs. Peterson claims that on that night she went to a dance with her husband, and that he accompanied her home. She asserts that they quarreled on a street car. They left the car at Eighteenth and Askew and the quarrel was resumed on the street. The woman says the man slapped her; that then she drew a revolver and fired five shots, each of the five bullets lodging in his body and killing him instantly.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

December 26, 1908



That, and a Trip to Church With a
Policeman as Guard, Filled the
Day for the Woman Who
Shot Her Husband.

Flowers from fellow employes at a printing plant, where she had worked for some time, greeted Mrs. Rose Peterson when she returned to the county jail yesterday from church. She is charged with killing her husband.

On Thursday Mrs. Peterson asked for permission to to to church and this was granted by Judge R. S. Latshaw of the criminal court. Patrolman John Coughlin took her to 8:30 o'clock mass at St. Patrick's, Eighth and Cherry. She had never missed church a single Christmas in her life.

"And to think that he was in citizen's clothes and not in uniform," said Mrs. Peterson afterwards. "We did not attract a bit of attention and I had been so afraid that the officer would wear a uniform." This bit of consideration seemed the best gift of all to the child wife.

"Since I was 14 I have been at work feeding presses," said Mrs. Peterson. "I married at 16. I can't tell why. Yes, it was young. I am only 19 now. Do you know, over at the police station they measured me -- I'm five feet one and one-half inch in my stocking feet. I weigh 123 pounds. And they measured my arms and my fingers and took finger prints and everything. Did you get my picture out of the rogues' gallery for the paper? Because the pictures they printed of me looked awful. I saw Aggie Myers's picture there."


"This morning they left the doors open and I walked around to see the gallows where they hanged Bud Taylor. Maybe I'll leave my tracks on that scaffold some time," she smiled.

"You want to know why I got married at 16? I don't know myself. We separated after a year. It will be three years next march since we were married. After the wedding I kept right on feeding the presses. My husband kept bothering me and for a long time I have been carrying a revolver." Her husband slapped her and she shot him.

"Did we run away to get married?" repeated the blue-eyed Irish girl, who seems hardly over 17. "Really, I can't remember." Which was only another way of saying that she did not want to remember.


"If I ever get out of here I'll never get married again, never, never. A woman is a man's slave after she is married. I don't believe in marriage. It hurts me to see my sister growing up and to think that she may fall in love with someone. Oh, I am going to talk her out of it if I can. There is nothing in marriage."

While Mrs. Peterson was talking, Mrs. James Sharp, one of the band of fanatics and a cellmate, walked across the room and stood behind the girl's chair.

"Ask Mrs. Sharp," was suggested.

"Do you believe in marriage?" the childwife asked.

"Yes, of course I do," said Mrs. Sharp, as she stroked the girl's brown hair. "Of course I do," s he repeated with a smile that flashed for a moment, a memory of her former attractiveness. Mrs. Sharp is a native Missourian.

"Last Christmas I was in Minnesota," added the elder woman quietly, with a touch of reminiscence in her tone.

Mrs. Peterson had stopped talking. Her brother and sister had come to see the little member of Press Assistant's Union No 20, who wants to be a linotype operator if she gains her liberty.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

December 24, 1908


Mrs. Rose Peterson, Who Killed Her
Husband, Expresses No Re-
gret for the Deed.

Instead of enjoying Christmas day as she expected, Mrs. Rose Peterson, who shot and killed her husband, Frederick L. Peterson, early Wednesday morning, will occupy a cell in the county jail. Her husband accused her of going to a theater with a young man Saturday evening, but the 19-year-old widow says she was arranging Christmas presents at her home.

Mrs. Peterson told Captain Walter Whitsett yesterday that she shot her husband because he slapped her. Two weeks ago she said she threatened to shoot her husband when he slapped her at Eighteenth and Cherry streets. Peterson at that time ran.

She said they were married in St. Joseph, March 31, 1907, and that her husband deserted her in November, 1907. After they were married, Mrs. Peterson told Captain Whitsett, her husband compelled her to work, although she wanted to keep house on what he was earning. His income was $13 a week and she earned $7 and paid all of the living expenses out of it. He often slapped and mistreated her and she decided not to ever stand for it again.

Her husband had taken her to a dance at the Eagles ball room Tuesday night, and the two spent a pleasant evening. Going home on the car about midnight, she said her husband quarreled with her and accused her of seeing other men too often. After leaving the car at Eighteenth street and Askew avenue, he slapped her, and Mrs. Peterson said she then drew her revolver and fired five times.

Mrs. Peterson had sued her husband for divorce, and yesterday she told the police that she had paid her attorney $18 toward his fee.

She sat in the matron's room yesterday and refused to talk about her act, except to Captain Whitsett. With him she was defiant in her answers and declared that she would again shoot any man that slapped her.

She was taken to Justice James. B. Shoemaker's court at 5 o'clock yesterday afternoon for arraignment, but the justice had gone. She will be arraigned this morning.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

December 22, 1908


A. Judah's Gift to the Children Will
Be Distrubted From Different
Charities Today.

Manager A. Judah of the Grand has invited the poor children of the city to a matinee performance by Corinne and her company tomorrow afternoon. The entertainment is being given in connection with the Christmas tree, and Manager Judah promises a surprise for the little ones who will be his guests for the afternoon. Admission will be by ticket, and the distribution of tickets will begin today, in charge of the following charitable organizations:

Associated Charities, 1115 Charlotte street (will also distribute tickets among colored population); Institutional church, Admiral boulevard and Holmes street; Helping Hand, 408 Main street; Franklin institute, Nineteenth and McGee streets; Grace hall, 415 West Thirteenth street; Humane Society, city hall, second floor; United Jewish Charities, 1702 Locust street; Italian Charities, offices with Associated Charities; juvenile court, county court house; Bethel mission, 43 North First street, Kansas City, Kas; Catholic Ladies' Aid Society, Eighth and Cherry, St. Patrick's hall.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

October 26, 1908


Perhaps That's Why So Many Clothes
Were Stolen Last Week.

Overcoats and winter clothes were the most important articles stolen during the last week. The cold rains made it necessary for the thieves to dress warmer and they proceeded to get the clothes. The heaviest loser was the Paris store, 312 East Twelfth street, which was entered Saturday night. The goods reported stolen included two hats worth $70, and nineteen large plumes, total value, $226. A reward of $25 is offered for the recovery of the plumes.

Glazers' tools were stolen from the Baltimore hotel Saturday afternoon. An Eskimo dog was reported stolen Saturday from Mrs. A. B. Hunt, 3235 East Seventh street. Arthur Dunlap reported to the police yesterday that a friend took a horn belonging to him and failed to return it. Six pairs of pants were stolen from the store of H. Segelbohm & Co., 1307 Main street. An overcoat and umbrella was stolen by a sneak thief from C. T. Gable, while he was at t he Meridith apartments. A set of double harness was stolen from the barn of A. B. Shumway, 1007 East Twelfth street. Lead pipe thieves made their appearance Saturday after a brief period of rest. They cut the pipe out of a new building at 1525 Cherry street. W. A. Robertson, Leavenworth, Kas., reported that a serge suit was stolen from his room, 1100 East Nineteenth street. Five dollars in one of the pockets went along with the pants.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

October 1, 1908


Call Box Donated the Little Sisters
of the Poor.

The police board agreed yesterday that for the safety of the aged inmates, in case of fire, a Gamewell box was to be placed in the home conducted by the Little Sisters of the Poor at Thirty-second and Cherry streets. The Bank of Commerce donated the box and the Missouri and Kansas Telephone Company will do the work of installation free of charge. Wires will be run to Thirty-first and Holmes street, where the Gamewell wires will be tapped. From there they will connect with Westport police station No. 5.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

July 28, 1908



Park Board Accepts the Council's
Recommendation for North End
Playground Sites -- Blacks and
Whites in Seperate Parks.

Booker T. or George -- that is the question. Yesterday afternoon the board of park commissioners reached an almost final conclusion in the matter of North End playgrounds, accepting the council's recommendation that two plots instead of one be set aside, one for the whites and the other for the negroes. One plot chosen is that bounded by Holmes, Cherry, Missouri avenue and Fifth street, and the other is in Belvedere hollow for the most part, and bounded by Troost, Forest, Pacific and Belevedere streets. No estimate of the cost of the two blocks was furnished and the commissioners thought that $100,000 might defray the cost.

"We will have to get a name for them to put in the ordinance," suggested one of the board clerks.

"Certainly, certainly," granted President Franklin Hudson, looking southeast to where Commissioner George T. Hall was sitting.

"To be sure we will have to name them," the commissioner said, proud to rise to the occasion. "'Black' and 'White' would do fine."

President Hudson dropped a bundle of papers he had in his hands and Commissioners George M. Fuller and A. J. Dean hopped as though they were on hot bricks.

"That would never do," came from the chair. "Never do to get names like that," bespake Commissioner Fuller, while Commissioner Dean was wagging his head to beat the band, set in his ways though he almost always is. Flocking by himself was Commissioner Fred Doggett.

"I have a name," said this member, whereupon at once he was given the center of the stage.

" 'Lincoln' and 'Washington' would be appropriate, I think," he went on.

"Had it on my tongue to suggest those self-same two men myself," declared President Hudson, while Commissioners Fuller and Dean, from across the table, glared like frizzling martyrs at Commissioner Hall, who had 'riz the row.

" 'Lincoln' and 'Washington' make it," proposed one member of the board and all the other members, including Commissioner Hall, seconded the motion.

Then there was a lull and a newspaper man naturally asked which was which.

"Mercy, man," replied President Hudson, horror stricken, "we dassent decide that. All we have to do is to furnish playgrounds for the whites and for the negroes. We dassent say which shall be which."

"But you named them," was the protest. "Are the names indices?"

"The park in Belvedere hollow is to be known as 'Washington,' " was vouchsafed, which was a surprise. Negro institutions are generally known as Lincoln, and it had been taken for granted that the custom would be adhered to in the instance of naming the only Jim Crow park Kansas City has contemplated so far.

"Belvedere hollow park will be 'Washington,' " the president insisted.

Trying to see a connection, the president was asked by a colleague if the park was to be named for Booker T. or George Washington.

"Don't let that, get out at the start," was the caution, and the laughter of the austere president of the park board was so uproarious that Commissioner Dean remarked that "that must be a devil of a funny thing Hudson has just got off."

So, after three years of maneuvering and the consideration of seven sites, the North End playground scheme has got as far as the enabling ordinance in the council. Owing to the mixed colors in the north end of the city, it was feared that there would be conflicts in a single playground, minors being unlikely to keep their heads in moments of intensity. The dual plan was proposed, and yesterday was adopted by the park board.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

June 25, 1908


Florence Myers Bitten on Face While
Playing at Her Home.

Florence, the 3-year-old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Harry J. Myers, 3015 Cherry street, was bitten by a dog belonging to O. S. Bone of Roanoke, who formerly lived at the Elizabeth flats, Thirtieth and Cherry streets, while at play in the yard in front of her home yesterday afternoon about 2 o'clock. The dog is a black and tan mongrel and was captured at once. It is not believed to be affected by rabies. The little girl was bitten over the left eye, and Drs. J. W. Kyger and Fred Kyger were summoned at once to dress the wound.

After biting the little girl, the dog ran north to Twenty-eighth street, where he attacked another dog. Police were summoned after the dog's capture and requested to kill him, but stated that this could not be done without the owner's consent, unless the dog be affected by rabies.

Labels: , , ,

April 11, 1908


Poverty-Stricken Woman Will Be
Cared for by Charity.

When house movers appeared on the scene to move a large two-story frame building at 1818 Cherry street yesterday afternoon, they found one of the lower rooms occupied by a woman. As notice had been served some time ago on the occupants, the woman, with her scant belongings, was moved into the street and the work of moving went on.

The woman, Mrs. Ella Allair, 53 years old, was at once looked after by W. H. Gibbens of the Humane Society and removed to the matron's room at police headquarters. Her case will be looked after by the Associated Charities. Peter Allair, her husband, 71 years old, is at present an inmate of the general hospital. The woman said that she would have moved when the notice was given, but she had no money.

Labels: , , ,

February 19, 1908


Floater Taken From River
Turns Out to Be Alive.

A real "live" floater caused a neck and neck race along the river front yesterday afternoon between the emergency hospital ambulance and an undertaker's "dead wagon." The race attracted a great deal of attention and caused no end of excitement in the North End. The ambulance is painted gray and the dead wagon, of course, was black. It brought to mind the famous race between the "bob-tailed horse and the gray", but this time the "gray ambulance" won by a hame string.

The cause of the race was John Reich, 45 years old, a laborer of 1011 Cherry street. Reich was taken out of the river for dead. The emergency hospital was notified. Secretary Ebert called Coroner Thompson and the coroner detailed an undertaker to get the "dead man."

In about 20 minutes the telephone at the emergency rang again, and a trembling voice said, "Say feller, that floater ain't no floater 'tall. He's come to. That is, he's turned over onct. Better send the avalance and a doctor 'stead 'o the coroner."

It was then that the ambulance was dispatched and it was too late to call off the undertaker. That was the reason both vehicles met on the way to the river. The first one noticed of the other's presence. They were neck and neck on the river's sands and were "going some" to the east.

Undertakers have been known to race before and it may have been that this one thought a rival was after the body. The driver of the police amulance took up the race in a spirit of fun.

First one would forge ahead, then the other would come up fast and pass at a gallop. The police had the better team, however as it does nothing but run, and the driver was sport enough to win only by a hame string, when he could easily have outdistanced the dead wagon.

Lying on the bank, blue and cold, was Reich. When the undertaker's man saw the "floater" squirm and kick, he said things in "dead languages," reversed his team and slowly drove back home.

Reich was taken to the emergency hospital, where he was pumped out and artificial respiration used to get his lungs into working order. He was put to bed amid a bevy of hot water bottles and bags. In a couple of hours the "dead one" was in a condition to talk.

Reich recalled taking a drink a place down near the Winner piers. After that he said that he just "passed on" He did not know where he got into the water, how he got there, how long he was in, who got him out or where he was taken out.

"All I know is that I can't swim no more than a rock, and I got the derndest coldest duckin' a man ever got -- at least that I ever got. When I get out of this I'm goin' down there to look that ground -- or water -- over."

While Reich appears to be recuperating rapidly, Dr. W. L. Gist, who resuscitated him at the emergency hospital, said that the great danger now was pneumonia.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

January 29, 1908


Man With Much Jewelry Held by
Police for Investigation.

"No, I'm not a burglar. Neither am I a stick-up man. I am a dip, a pickpocket, and a first-class one, too."

The man who made the foregoing remark while looking through the bars of the holdover at police headquarters gives the name of Otto Max. He is a structural ironworker and has hands which are very large, broad and calloused. The police say that a "dip," or pickpocket, always has long, slim hands as soft as a woman's, especially if he is an expert. They think Max has been in the "stick-up" business.

Max was arrested yesterday in a Cherry street boarding house. It was learned that he had given his landlady a gold watch, had given another to a roomer and one was found on him. He had also pawned a gold locket with a chain and a gold pin.

"I got all that stuff while in Fort Smith, Ark, two months ago," Max told Detectives Lyngar and Farrell, who arrested him. "And I got it by picking pockets. I am an expert."

When Max was searched at Central police station, a bunch of fine skeleton and pass keys, ordinarily used by burglars, was found.

Max said that before going to Fort Smith, he had worked at his trade in Seattle, Wash. He blamed the recent financial panic for his downfall. He said that circumstances had forced him to become what he was and that he soon found that he was adapted to that class of "work." He is being held for investigation.

Labels: , , ,

January 25, 1908


Body of James Jarrett Buried in Elm-
wood Cemetery.

A deaf mute funeral service was held at Stine's chapel yesterday afternoon. It was for James Jarrett, a shoemaker, who lived at 3615 Independence avenue with his wife, who is also a mute, and a son almost grown. Rev. Jensen of the German Lutheran church officiated, delivering his sermon audibly at the same time as with the sign language of deaf mutes. About forty of them attended and a number of other friends. A deaf mute congregation worships every other Sunday afternoon at a church at Sixteenth and Cherry streets. The body of Mr. Jarrett was buried in Elmwood cemetery.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

January 18, 1907


Blind man May Not Recover From
His Wounds.

T. A. McMillen, the blind man who was found in a stairway at 601 Delaware street late Thursday night bleeding from a bullet hole in his neck and another in his chest, lies at the emergency hospital in critical condition. He insists that he was shot by a woman as he ascended that stairway. Stella Arwood, a woman who runs a rooming house at 601 Delaware,who was arrested soon after McMillen was taken from the hallway, was arraigned late yesterday afternoon before Justice Shepard on a charge of assault with intent to kill. Her plea was not guilty and she was released on a bond of $1,200 to appear in the same court next Wednesday for a preliminary hearing. The shooting still remains a mysterdy to the police. McMillen is said to have been seen in a saloon in company of an unknown man shortly before he was shot.

James Gibson and William Bulger of 1031 Cherry street, who formerly lived in Harrison county, where they knew McMillen, saw in The Journal yesterday an account of his accident, and called on him at the emergency hospital. From them it was learned that the blind man had been married twice. His first wife is dead, but a son, Albert McMillen, now lives in Gentryville, Mo. . Ten years ago he married Miss Jennie Strong in Harrison county, but they soon separated. They had a son, Winford, now 9 years old, who is with his mother in Washington, where she is married to a railroad engineer named Crosby. George Strong, a brother-in-law of McMillen, used to live at 341 Haskell avenue, Kansas City, Kas. McMillen, has been blind about five years. He was formerly a painter, but since he lost his eyesight he has been a book canvasser.

If McMillen does not die from his injuries he may become paralyzed in part of his upper extremities.

Labels: , , , , , ,

January 6, 1908


Fargo Officials Do Not Remember
Murder Suspect Under Arrest Here.

Upon suspicion that he is wanted in connection with a murder at Fargo, N. D., J. W. Barkdoll, a laboring man, was placed under arrest by Police Captian Walter Whitsett and Inspector of Detectives Charles Ryan, yesterday afternoon. Barkdoll roomed near the corner of Independence avenue and Cherry street. He will be held until officers arrive or word is received from Fargo.

FARGO, N. D., Jan 5. -- (Special) The Kansas City officers have doubtless got "off track" in the arrest of J. A. Barkdoll for a crime in this section, or else he is masquerading under an assumed name, is the belief here. Chief Wade was in a quandry when telegraphic information was received today from officers of Kansas City to the effect such a man had been arrested. Search through the records of the sheriff of Cass county, N. D., as well as Clay county, just across the river on the Minnesota side, besides inquiry at the police departments in both this city and Morrhead, Minn., fail to show that anyone by the name of J. W. Barkdoll is wanted for murder in this section of the country.

Labels: , , , ,

October 3, 1907


Edward Candlar, a Negro, Is Shot
While Cleaning a Gun.

An autopsy will be held on the body of Edward Candlar, a negro who was shot yesterday afternoon at his home at 554 Cherry street, today by Coroner George B. Thompson. Clarence E. Hill, who lives at the same address, and who admits being present when Candlar was killed, is being held by the police on request of John Hogan, an assistant prosecuting attorney.

Hill, a witness to the shooting, told the police Candlar was killed by the accidental discharge of a target rifle he was cleaning on the porch of his home. When the house was searched a loaded pistol was found under a dresser. Hogan stated last night that there were no powder burns on Candlar's clothing and that he does not believe the shot which killed him was self-directed.

Labels: , , ,

August 31, 1907


Back Bar Fell on James Leary at
Sixth and Oak.

The unloading of barrels of beer at the saloon of James Leary, Sixth and Oak streets, yesterday afternoon caused the back bar to fall, striking Leary on the head and shoulders and felling him to the floor. Dr. J. Park Neal found a "horseshoe-shaped" cut of large dimensions on the top of Leary's head, extending into the skull. His right shoulde was bruised, as was also the hand on that side, which he had thrown up for protection. After his wounds were dressed at emergency hospital he was taken to his home, Sixth and Cherry streets.

Labels: , , , , , ,

August 7, 1907


Wrecked Popcorn Stand While Hurrying
With Guest to Wedding.

An automobile crashing into a popcorn wagon caused the serious injury of two little girls last night. The wrecked popcorn wagon fell on the children, cutting and bruising them.

Thomas J. Proue, a chauffeur for the Automobile Livery, 1113 Broadway, was driving to a wedding at Twenty-ninth street and Prospect avenue, Eastbound on Eighteenth street approaching Cherry, he met a sprinkling wagon. A little girl, while at play ran into the spray back of the wagon. The motor car slowed down, but when opposite the wagon the child darted back in its path. Proue swerved his machine south into Cherry street, but to save the child, the turn had to be too shortto avoid smashing the popcorn wagon.

John Carle, the wagon's owner, went down under the shattered glass of his little cage, and escaped without injury. But two little girls, Annie and Jenny Myerson, of 1723 Oak street, were not so fortunate. Annie, 8 years old, received a deep cut over the left eye and serious bruises. Jennie, two years older, was also seriously bruised.

Dr. G. A. Dagg, ambulance surgeon from No. 4 police station, attended them and sent them to their home. Proue, the chauffeur, waited at the scene of the accident till Officers Smith and Cook arrived with the ambulance, and then drove with the officers to the station. He was later released on $100 bond for his appearance in police court this morning.

The accident occurred at 8:15 o'clock, and many people were on the streets. When the popcorn and peanuts of the Italian vender were scattered over the ground there was a "help yourself" scramble, with several dozen participants. A. L. Morse, who was personal representative of Francis Murphy, the temperance worker, mounted a box and begged the crowd to stand back and treat the popcorn man as they would like to be treated. His address was received in good spirit, and the crowd helped Carle gather his wares together.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

August 5, 1907



Money She Had Saved to Pay Her
Fare to Arizona Spent in the
Effort to Obtain Hus-
band's Pardon.

Lying bedfast, a sufferer of consumption due partly to her husband's incarceration in the Arkansas penitentiary, Mrs. John A. Lowrey, 1106 Cherry street, is living daily in the hope that some means may be provided whereby she can be taken to Arizona, where physicians say recovery is possible.

For six months Mrs. Lowrey pleaded with the authorities of Arkansas to release her husband, every day exhausting some new resource, and every day renewing with indomitable energy her fight for his pardon.

Finally, in sheer desperation, she sought the aid of kind friends in Kansas City. She told them of her plight, and said she must secure Lowrey's release or die an early death. Protesting that he was innocent of the charge upon which he was summarily convicted and quickly railroaded to prison, where he was sentenced to one year's servitude in Little Rock, after two juries had failed to agree, she won her first victory and went to Arkansas.

As only a loving mother and a devoted wife can plead, Mrs. Lowrey, with evidence tending to show that her husband was probably innocent of the crime of robbing a man in Fort Smith, eloquently and forcibly presented her case.

Returning to her two little children in Kansas City, weakened and much worse as the result of her long trip, Mrs. Lowrey daily awaited news from Arkansas. The days passed without cheering news and the weeks came and went.

One day a telegram came telling her that her fight was won and that on the following day, July 27, John Lowrey would be a free man.

Without funds or friends, Lowrey made his way back to Kansas City as quickly as possible. Then came the reunion. But with all its joys it had been saddened by the decline of the faithful wife's health.

Like his wife, broken in health as a result of his prison life and reduced to poverty, in debt, but not without friends, the husband started life anew.

But with his wife a victim of tuberculosis, unable to render him even the necessary assistance towards the care of the home and children, the burden of Lowrey was doubled.

Then followed the struggle for regained health. Mrs. Lowrey believed that her husband's return to her would give her new strength sufficient at least to overcome the disease which had taken hold of her.

The crisis came yesterday. The family physician told the sick woman that her only hope for life lies in a speedy change of climate, Arizona preferably.

Now a greater problem than that which faced him several months ago faces John Lowrey.

"My heroic wife secured my freedom from prison; how can I take her to Arizona?"

"I am doing all in my power to save my wife's life," said Lowrey last night. "I owe a debt of gratitude to my brave wife more sacred, if possible, than that of a mere husband. We believe that her life can be greatly prolonged by a change to a Western climate. I hope to obtain work on the railroad at Phoenix; I am corresponding with the officials there now and I look for a favorable reply in a day or two."

Mrs. Lowrey had saved $50 to pay her fare at the time her husband's trouble occurred. It was a fortune to her. She spent her money in her efforts to secure her husband's release from prison.

Labels: , , , ,

July 30, 1907



She and Daughter Engage Three Men
in Hot Argument and She Is
Struck in the Face With
Driver's Lash -- Men
Quickly Gather.

With a mob of 200 men and women at his heels, Harry Brooks, a dog catcher, ran from Twelfth and Cherry streets to No. 4 police station, Fifteenth and Walnut streets, at 6 o'clock last night. Fifteen policemen were used to hold the crowd at bay even after the man was inside the station. If it had not been roll-call time, with all patrolmen present to report, the crowd would have overrun the place.

Meanwhile, Jim Kincaid and William Smith, two other dogcatchers, had abandoned their team to the fury of an equally big mob that did not follow Brooks. The wagon was overturned and the horses unharnessed, while Smith and Kincaid concealed themselves.

The cause of it all, a spitz puppy, the only passenger in the wagon, escaped as the cage hit the ground and returned yelping to his home, 1108 Cherry street. The women who had fought for him, though bruised and bedraggled, welcomed him to their arms and locked him in the kitchen before they would see a police surgeon who had made an ambulance run from No. 1 station.

Mrs. Nellie Honn, and her mother, Mrs. Ida Campbell, were sitting on their front porch watching admiringly, as were their neighbors, the antics in the street of a little white puff of a dog that Mrs. Honn had recently received as a present. A rough looking wagon drove by. A pretty fox terrier running between the wheels paused to notice the spitz pup.

The terrier's attention was gracious and Mrs. Honn and the neighbors smiled interestingly. Then one of the men jumped from the wagon. He made a whipping motion toward the dogs. There was a wire in his hand and the spitz pup was caught. Then the women knew that the terrier had been a decoy.

They screamed and ran to the wagon. Mrs. Campbell saw the team was being started and seized a horse's bridle. Mrs. Honn was offering to pay the tax.

"Fifi is only 6 weeks old and I don't have to pay till he's 6 months, but here's your money," she said.

"We can't take your money, madam. You'll have to talk to the impounder," W. J. Smith, wagon foreman, replied. "Besides, there's no six month limit now. We catch 'em soon as they're able to run in the street."

Harry Brooks on the seat was applying the whip to the horses and Cherry street was gathering a crowd from the many boarding and rooming houses there that swarm with people about 6 o'clock.

Mrs. Campbell held to the horse's bit and kept her feet as the team broke into a run. The crowd was threatening and the dog catchers were anxious to get out of the hot place. Brook's' long lashed whip was hitting Mrs. Campbell as well as the horses. A stinging blow struck her in the face.

Then the horses' knees hit her and she lost her footing and was dragged along.

The street ahead of the team had become black with men. Brooks jumped from the wagon. So did the others., but Brooks was the only one the crowd took after. Stones and bricks rained after him.

"Kill the dog catcher." "Stoop him, he struck a woman." "He ran over a woman" and other such cries helped make Brooks' pace more rapid as he headed for the police station nine blocks away. His endurance was better than that of his pursuers, and when he reached the home stretch at Fourteenth and Walnut streets he himself was yelling: "Help! Help! They're trying to kill me."

Lieutenant Morley, who had just come on duty, looked out of the window. He declares that the street was crowded with running men for a block. A northbound street car was stopped by them. Then another, southbound, couldn't get through. The police roll call was postponed and all officers present went out to handle the crowd. When brooks had been made safe inside a party of police was sent to rescue the wagon and team. Their arrival brought Smith and Kincaid from cover and the wagon was righted and the team hitched. Smith drove to the station and rescued Brooks.

Mrs. Campbell's injuries were declared last night by the physicians to be serious. One shoulder and arm are much bruised and she was suffering internally. The marks of the whiplash were plain upon her face.

"But I don't believe the same men will be back for Fifi soon again," she said as she shifted a pillow under her wounded shoulder

"And Fifi was the hero of the day," she went on. "He lifted the lid of that old box and came barking, right straight to our porch."

Labels: , , , , , , ,

June 29, 1907


Three Autoists Confess a Judgement
of $500.

Elmer Williams, Charles H. Williams and John Anderson of the Williams Realty Company, yesterday afternoon confessed judgement in the circuit court to $500 damages for running down Halma G. Dixon, a messenger boy, in their automobile at Fourteenth street and Troost avenue May 11, 1907. The Dixon boy, who lives at 1312 Cherry street, was riding a bicycle.

Labels: , , , , , ,

June 27, 1907


Mr. and Mrs. Heslip in Car and
Runaway Accident.

As County Marshal Heslip and his wife were driving south on Oak street, crossing Nineteenth street, at 6 o'clock last evening, their buggy was struck by an eastbound Vine street car and nearly overturned. Mr. Heslip was thrown out and the horses turned and ran east on Ninetenth street.

A hundred yards east of the scene of the collision Mrs. Heslip fell out over the back of the buggy. Her dress caught and she was dragged fifty feet. She suffered a sprained shoulder and many bruises. Mr. Heslip was not hurt.

The team was stopped at a pile of dirt at the Nineteenth and Cherry street crossing. Mrs. Heslip was taken to the University hospital.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

June 25, 1907


Child, in Sleep, Drops Three Stories
and Lives.

Josephine Carter, 415 Cherry street, a negro child, 2 1/2 years old, performed a feat yesterday afternoon that not many children have performed and lived to tell the tale. The child was asleep by an open window, three stories above ground. About 2 p. m. the little one fell the entire distance to the ground.

The mother knew nothing of the accident and believed her baby asleep when she saw it running toward her crying. Dr. Paul Lux, who went with the police ambulance, examined the baby, but found not a bruise, not even a mark of the fall. It is believed that the little one may have received a slight concussion of the brain.

Labels: , , ,

June 5, 1907


Says Her Name Is Bertha Johnson,
but Gives Fictitious Address.

Have you lost a little girl, about 7 years old, with dark brown broomstick curls and big brown eyes? A blue dress and a straw aht with a red ribbon go with the picture.

Truancy Officer Cole piced the little girl up near the Detention home yesterday evening when she was crying. She said her mother, Mrs. Anna Johnson, had locked her out of the house. She gave trhe officer an address on Cherry street as her home. An investigation showed that no one by the name of Johnson lived at the number and that no one in the neighborhood had lost a little girl with brown curls. This was reported to the child, and she then said her mamma lived on East Fourteenth street. The mother could not be found there.

The little girl, who insists that her name is Bertha Johnson, was kept at the North End nursery last night. The officers don't know just what to make of her story.

Labels: , , ,

June 2, 1907


Humane Agent Arrests Boy on a
Charge of Cruelty.

While in the vicinity of Eleventh and Harrison streets yesterday afternoon W. H. Gibbens, field agent for the Humane Society, heard a whacking sound as if someone was beating on a barrel. When he turned a corner he discovered the source of the noise. George Stokes, 17 years old, driver for a planing mill at Twentieth and Cherry streets, was in the street holding onto the bridle of a mule. In his hand he had a one-half-inch rope about two feet long, on the end of which was a large knot. He was belaying the mule over the head with the knotted rope.

"What's the matter here?" asked Gibbens.

"Dern mule won't pull," he said, out of breath. "Whack -- whack" went the rope.

"Do you think you'd pull if someone stood right in front of you with that instrument of torture lamming you across the face with it -- and you had no shoes on, either, on this smooth pavement?"

Gibbens made the boy get in the wagon. He got in beside him and with a little coaxing "Maude" stepped right off, all right. He drove to No. 4 police station, where Stokes was booked for cruelty to animals. He gave bond for his appearance in police court tomorrow.

Labels: , , , , , ,

May 29, 1907


Kansas City, Kas., Barber Who Had
a Vision at Police Station.

T. J. Shelton, 807 Cherry street, a barber with a shop at 1 1/2 Central avenue, Kansas City, Kas., walked into police headquarters early Monday morning and asked to be "detained" for a time.

"It's a good bed and the long rest is what I need," he said.

When Shelton was placed in the matron's room he immediately went into using an imaginary phone in the corner of his cell.

"It's a wireless phone," he told Dr. W. L. Gist. ""Handy things, aren't they? Wouldn't be without one."

Later Shelton called Mrs. Joan Moran, the matron, and handing her a quarter said: "I wish you'd send a meal up on the elevator there to my nurse. She's up there and hasn't had anything to eat for some time."

Shelton pointed carelessly out into space as he spoke of "the elevator there." An order was made to send him to the general hospital yesterday. In the afternoon he appeared better, however, and made many promised regarding his future conduct, so Dr. Gist allowed him to be taken in charge by a friend.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

May 12, 1907


The funeral of Miss Aurora Wittebart, who lost her life in the University building fire, will take place tis afternoon at 3 o'clock from St. Patrick's church, Eighth and Cherry streets. There will be no services at the home of Mrs. F. C. Schmidt, where the remains were taken from Stine's. Miss Wittebart's parents, who are at the Densmore, were able to leave the hotel yesterday to assist in the arrangements for the funeral.

May 12, 1907

The funeral of Professor Georges De Mare, the high school drawings instructor who was killed in the University building fire, was held yesterday morning at 10 o'clock at St. Vincent's Catholic church, Thirty-first and Flora. Rev. Francis X. Antill conducted the services. Burial was in Mount Washington cemetery.

Labels: , , , , , ,

May 11, 1907



Only a Small Amount of
Debris Over The Girl

The body of Miss Aurora Wittebart, the second victim of the University building fire of Wednesday afternoon, was found by a squad of firemen at 3:20 o'clock yesterday afternoon. No active or systematic search could be made until the walls had been braced, insuring the safety of the searchers, but within half an hour after work could progress without hinderance the body was found and removed to Stine's morgue. In the squad of firemen working under the direction of Assistant Chief Henderson were Jack Evans, W. C. Pahlman, A. Van Dusen, Dick Ginn and Charles Brown, and these men performed the work of recovering the body and conveying it to the morgue, where it was ordered taken by Thompson.
The body was not badly burned. Only the head and hands showed the effects of the fire. A sever injury on the right side of the head lacerated the scalp and the face was somewhat disfigured. The body was lying at full length on its back in an easy and natural position when found under a shallow pile of debris about ten feet south of the hall line and about twenty feet west of the elevator shaft. This location indicates that Miss Wittebart, contrary to general belief, did not lose her life near the northwest corner of the building in the vicinity of the fire escape, but had evidently made her way almost to the middle of the building and probably fell overcome by the smoke and flames. When the fifth story floor fell in, she was carried down with the wreckage and only a small quantity of debris from the roof covered her.
The girl's hat and coat were not found when the body was discovered. There was no doubt about immediate identification. The green skirt and white shirtwaist were easily recognized, as was a string of amber beads about her throat and a small gold fililgree ring on the third finger of her left hand.
The abundant light hair of the dead girl was not even schorced and the clothing was not torn or disarranged.
Miss Wittebart's parents, who are staying at the Densmore hotel, and her fiance, George P. Jackson, of 910 Holmes street, were not permitted to see the body, immediately, thought it was with the utmost difficulty that the police and firemen were able to restrain Mr. Jackson.
The young man was on the verge of nervous collapse after the body had been taken to the morgue. He insisted upon seeing the body, but his friends, realizing the inadvisability of this, took him to the Densmore hotel, hoping by removing him from the scene they could do better toward quieting him. As the party walked toward the hotel a crowd of morbidly curious followed as far as the hotel office, and one woman followed directly into the room to which he was assigned there. She cooly took a seat and remained until requested to leave, which she did, but with decided reluctance. Last night his nervous condition had improved considerably, and it was said that he was standing the ordeal with more fortituude than he had displayed since he had learned of the death of Miss Wittebart.
The funeral of Miss Wittebart will be held at 3 o'clock tomorrow afternoon from St. Patrick's church, Eight and Cherry streets. The body will be taken to the home of a friend, Mrs. F. C. Schmidt, 3338 Prospect avenue, today, and from there will be taken to the church Sunday. On account of the nervous condition of theparents of the young woman and George Jackson, the young man to whom Miss Wittebart was engaged to wed, it was thought advisable to not have them view the body of the dead girl, and the casket will remain closed.
Burial will be in Mount Washington Cemetery.

Labels: , , , ,


Get the Book
Vintage Kansas City Stories ~ Early 20th Century Americana as Immortalized in The Kansas City Journal
Kansas City Stories

Early Kansas City, Missouri

>>More KC Books<<

The History and Heritage of Vintage Kansas City in Books
Vintage Kansas
City Bookstore

Powered by Blogger

Vintage Kansas

Vintage Antique Classics ~ Vintage Music, Software, and more Time Travel Accessories

In association with
KC Web ~ The Ultimate Kansas City Internet Directory