Find Rare Kansas City Antiques and Collectibles at the Vintage Kansas City Marketplace ~ Own a Piece of Old KC

Vintage Kansas - A Celebration of Kansas City Past!


Old News from Kansas City - Vintage New Items
Headlines and Articles from The Kansas City Journal

Business Office...4000 Main
City Editor.....4001 Main
Society Editor....4002 Main

Two cents. Subscription Rates:  By carrier, per week, 10 cents; per month, 45 cents.  By mail, daily and Sunday, one month, 40 cents; three months, $1.00; six months, $2.00; one year, $4.00.  Sunday only, six months, 75 cents; one year, $1.50.  Weekly Journal, 25 cents one year.

Like Vintage Kansas City on Facebook

As We See 'Em ~ Caricatures of Prominent Kansas Cityans

The Isis Theatre ~ Kansas City, Missouri

The History of Fairmount Park

Claims of Cancer Cured by Dr. Bye in Vintage KC Missouri

Special Cut Prices ~ Always the Same

Blogging Fusion Blog Directory

September 6, 1908


In His Behalf 20,000 Kansas City
-ans Once Petitioned President.
Was Pardoned From Prison.

It was 9 o'clock sharp last night when Charles Ryan, inspector of detectives, called in his men -- twenty of them -- and ordered them to go out and look for poker games, which the late grand jurors charged a week ago were operating unmolested by the police.

The twenty men went. It was nearly 11 o'clock before they had any luck. Then what they ran upon was really startling. Detectives Robert Phelna, Eugene Sullivan, J. L. Ghent and "Lum" Wilson made their way to 722 East Twelfth street. As they neared the number they said a "lookout" ran up the steps and gave the alarm. Being armed with a warrant the two doors were broken open and Detective Ghent was especially surprised.

There in the midst of six other men stood Charles W. Anderson, alias William January, for whom only a short year ago 20,000 people of this city and vicinity had petitioned President Roosevelt for his release from the federal prison at Leavenworth, Kas. And the petition gained his release, too. That was on July 19, 1907.

Last year, Benjamin T. Barnes, 2345 Southwest boulevard, a harnessmaker and former convict, wrote to Warden William McClaughry that William January, who had escaped from the prison nine years before, was living here under the name of Charles W. Anderson. The arrest followed, and when it was found that January -- for that was his name then -- had been living an exemplary life during his nine years of freedom, and that he had married and had a sweet 3-year-old baby girl, the whole of Western Missouri and Eastern Kansas was aroused. His arrest took place on April 20, 1907, and he was taken to prison the next day. When President Roosevelt received the petition containing 20,000 names, with the information that as many more could easily be added, he set July 19 as the day when William January, then living at 1117 Holmes street, should be free.

When January came out he applied to the courts and soon had his name changed to Charles W. Anderson, as that was the name he assumed when he escaped from prison. Every hand in Kansas City was outstretched to aid the long-suffering man just out of stripes. He chose to open a restaurant on East Twelfth street, however, after being interested in a pool hall.

Last night when the detectives followed the lookout to the second floor, after breaking in two doors they got Anderson and six other men. They also got a round table, cards and chips. At the station no one would admit that he was gamekeeper. Sergeant Patrick Clark said: "Then I will hold you all under $51 cash bond each until I find out who was running this place."

The men were lined up to give their names. Anderson gave the name of John W. Smith just as a young player in answer to a question said, "Me? Oh, I got my chips from Anderson there."

Anderson was then informed that his bond would be $51 and the others $16 each. The former gave his at once and, after a short talk, with the men, who were consigned to the holdover, made his exit.

The game at 722 East Twelfth street was the only one bothered by the police last night. It is said that there are others.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

July 27, 1907


Anderson Says He Will Engage in
Restaurant Business.

Charles W. Anderson returned yesterday from his visit to his mother in Chillicothe, Mo.

"I had not seen my mother for sixteen years," said Anderson. "She thought I was dead until she read in the papers of my arrest."

Anderson says he will go into the restaurant business as soon as he can find a suitable location.


July 19, 1907


His Three Months Seemed Like a
Year to Him.

William January, alias Charles W. Anderson, will be discharged from the United States penitentiary at Leavenworth in time this morning for him to catch the Missouri Pacific train leaving for Kansas City at 6:18 a. m. None of his friends will be there to go with him, Warden McClaughry having advised Anderson to go out early to avoid attention there and have his friends meet him at the depot in Kansas City. At the depot they will have a new suit ready for Anderson and he will go over to the Blossom house and change his attire. Dressed in the latest style he will make the trip uptown.

Anderson said last evening that he expected to open a pool hall in Kansas City, but added that he would not start in business for some time. He will visit his mother in Chillicothe, Mo., first. He will also be met at the depot by his wife and daughter.

Anderson says his three months in prison have seemed like a year to him, but he admits that he was treated very kindly during his confinement.

Labels: , , , , , ,

June 1, 1907




Pledged Himself to Reveal the True
Cause for His Act When Ander-
son Is Released, but It Is
Not Believed He Will
Ever Tell.

Benjamin F. Barnes, who informed on Charles W. Anderson, the escaped convict, has removed his harness shop business to the Indian Territory. At 2845 Southwest boulevard his wife, with its former good patronage regained for her little bakery, is waiting with her infant and her 5-year-old son until the location of the new home is finally decided upon.

Barnes' goods were sent to Ada, I. T., where he has an uncle. This is near Sapulpa, and from Sapulpa Barnes had a long distance telephone talk with his wife before the goods were sent yesterday. She says they expect to locate somewhere in Texas and that the harness stock is to be stored at the uncle's only temporarily.

It was in Indian Territory that Barnes nineteen years ago committed the crime for which five years later was captured, and sent to the federal penitentiary, where he knew January, alias Anderson. Later both came to Kansas City. Barnes says that he found out Anderson caused him to lose a position with a saddlery concern about three years ago and had, after that, done things to injure his business on Southwest boulevard.

Against this is Anderson's alleged statement since returning to the penitentiary that Barnes made a practice of demanding sums of money from him. Barnes says that his business was profitable and that he did not need money.

After Anderson was returned to prison, Barnes announced that on his being set free he would exploit his motive for notifying Warden McClaughry. As Anderson will not be set free until July 19, and Barnes is already residing in a distant territory, Kansas City will probably be cheated out of this revelation.

While a notable change has taken place to the sentiments of the Southwest boulevard people on the Barnes-Anderson case, their gossip has developed some new observations. Men who at first were anxious to help tar and feather Barnes or drive him from the town, now agree that an injustice was done to him and that the wave of sympathy on the other shop was inexplicable in the light of the fact that most normal people do want the authorities to know the whereabouts of escaped convicts, whether good or bad.

Mrs. Barnes, the mother of a babe of 5 weeks when the sensation came, comes of an excellent family now living in St. Joseph, Mo. Two of her uncles held superintendents' positions with the Metropolitan Street Railway Company in the city for years, and are similarly engaged on other roads now. One of her own cousins in a practicing dentist of the city. The family, it is said, did not know Barnes was an ex-convict at the time of the young woman's marriage. Mrs. Barnes says they are leaving merely for business reasons and that all the neighbors were friendly and considerate with them.

Labels: , , , , ,

May 2, 1907


But the Department of Justice May
Take Action Today.

WASHINGTON, May 1. --(Special.) To the disappointment of Senator Warner the department of justice failed to send the Charles Anderson pardon papers to the president today for his signature. Attorney Bonaparte concluded that he wanted the recommendation of the district attorney of Oklahoma before giving the final recommendation to the president. The pardon clerk wired the district attorney and late this afternoon received a message from him recommending the pardon. Bonaparte, however, had left for Baltimore in the meantime and so his signature could not be obtained tonight. Senator Warner will call on the department of justice in the morning and hopes to get speedy action. The only reason why the department insisted on the case taking the usual course as far as a recommendation is concerned is that it does not want to set a precedent that will rise to embarrass it in future pardon cases.

Labels: ,

April 30, 1907


Senator Warner Will Take the Case
Up With the Department Today.

WASHINGTON, April 29. -- (Special.) Senator Warner will take up the Charles Anderson pardon matter with the president and attorney general Tuesday.

J. M. Kennedy, secretary to Representative Ellis, has classified the petitions and got them in shape so the attorney general can go through them rapidly. He will take them to the department of justice and will be accompanied by Senator Warner.

"I do not apprehend any trouble geting the pardon," said Senator Warner, "although it may not come for a few days."

Labels: , ,

Special Report -- C. W. ANDERSON




In Washington It Is Believed Pardon
Will Be Granted -- Barnes, the In-
former, Hints Darkly of
Sensations Yet to

A dispatch from Washington last night said that President Roosevelt has not yet received the application for pardon for Charles W. Anderson. However, he discussed the matter yesterday with people who are interested in the case, and while he will not state in advance what action he will take when the application arrives, it is the opinion of his advisers that he will readily grant a pardon.

An Associated Press dispatch from Washington says an application for the pardon of Anderson has reached Washington, and has been referred to the department of justice for examination into the records and for recommendation.

A petition expected to bear at least 20,000 names of people in Kansas City and vicinity, who sanction the release of Charles Anderson from the United States penitentiary at Leavenworth, will be forwarded to Senator William Warner this evening in turn to be submitted to the president. On the 600 or more petitions that have been circulated, more than 15,000 names had been recorded yesterday, and hundreds of letters were received by the legal committee and by those at whose places of business petitions were placed. These letters were from out-of-town people as well as persons living in the city, and all expressed the same sentiment regarding the man's release. Some were from close friends of Anderson and his family, and spoke of the man's good character, his honesty and devotion to his family, and especially his sobriety. Men who had known Anderson in a business way attested convincingly to his honesty , and neighbors to his family devotion.

All day long at places where there were petitions people went to sign. Along Twelfth street, in the neighborhood where Anderson lived and where he had been in business, his arrest and prospective release was the principal topic of discussion. Up to late in the evening people appeared singly and in groups to sign the petition at Phipps & Durbow's grocery store, at Twelfth and Holmes streets. Some of them came from their homes as far as two miles away, and one man, 72 years old, drove from Independence yesterday afternoon to enter his name upon the list of signers.

On a petition circulated yesterday among the lawyers of the city by James Garner, and attorney in the New York Life building, the names of a hundred or so of Kansas City's leading members of the legal profession were signed. Among all of the attorneys approached on the matter by Mr. Garner, but two refused to sign.

Labels: , , , , , ,

Special Report -- C. W. ANDERSON


Still Missing at Midnight.

Has B. F. Barnes, informant against Charles W. Anderson, the escaped convict, left the city, or made way with himself during a fit of remorse over his act? Mrs. Barnes, though greatly worried, believes her husband will return and satisfactorily account for his mysterious absence.

He disappeared from his place of business at 2845 Southwest boulevard yesterday morning, and at midnight last night had not been heard from by his family. Before leaving he told his wife that he was going "uptown." He added that he probably would not be home until late. He did not return for luncheon nor for dinner in the evening, and when he had not returned at midnight his wife began to feel some concern about him.

"I don't see what is keeping him," she repeated time and again as she paced the floor, now and then stopping to gaze longingly out the window. She carried her infant baby in her arms and spoke at times consolingly to her 6 -year-old boy.

"My husband never stayed away from home this way before," said Mrs. Barnes, "and for that reason I feel concerned about him now. This recent trouble has weighed heavily upon both of us, more so than most people, I think, suppose. My husband has been placed in the wrong light by the people, and the same conception as has been formed of his character has been taken of me. There are two sides to this matter, just as there are to most cases of this kind, but the impulsiveness of the people has caused them to take snap judgment on us for what has been done, with the result that we must suffer worse than really is our lot.

"There is an underlying reason for what my husband did, but what that reason is we will not discuss now. I am sorry for the whole thing, as is my husband, and though I have suffered -- God knows I have suffered -- I hold no resentment toward the public or Mr. Anderson. My sympathies fare with Mrs. Anderson and her baby, and for their sakes I hope the president will pardon him."

Mrs. Barnes is a neat appearing woman, a brunette, and comely, and of intelligent and refined appearance. She conducts a bakery and confectionery adjoining the harness store of her husband, and has been doing a profitable business. The family live in three rooms in the rear of the store. A woman friend of the family has been staying at the Barnes home during the past several days, and has assisted in taking care of the household.

Labels: , ,

Special Report -- C. W. ANDERSON


They Show That Barnes Turned
Informer for $60 Reward

Here is the correspondence through which William January, once a prisoner, afterwards Charles W. Anderson, model citizen, was apprehended, later arrested and taken back to the federal prison at Fort Leavenworth, Kas., and on account of which, as William January, he is again wearing stripes while the wife and little daughter are left helpless at home:

"Kansas City, Mo., March 21, '07
To the Warden.
Dear Sirs: -- I understand that you have a man that escaped from the old prison in 1898 by the name of January. His number was 892 or 292 or some such number. If you will send me his picture I will loket him for the reward and expenses. Let me know by return mail or telephone me."

The informer signed his name with a rubber stamp. His name is Barnes and he is a harness maker. In a few days another letter was forwarded to Warden R. W. McClaughry. It bore no date and read:

"As I have not heard from you in regard to the prisoner by the name of Bill January. I have still got him located easy to get. You send a man down and I will tell him or show him where he is at. I would arrest him but I don't want anyone to know it. I found it out on the quiet and may find out more. Write me about what to do. I will show him up for the reward of $60."

Again Barnes, who possibly can't write plain enough to be read, signed his name with the rubber stamp. He was trafficking in a human being for which he was to get $60 -- but he did not want to be known. On March 22 Warden R. W. McClaughry wrote to Barnes as follows:

"Your letter of March 21 came to hand. In reply I have to say that a prisoner named William January, No. 308 (clothes 272) did make his escape from the United States penitentiary at Fort Leavenworth, Kas., on the night of December 9, 1898, and is still at large.

His present whereabouts are unknown to us. He is still wanted by the United States government on the charge of being a fugitive from the penitentiary.

I will pay the reward of sixty dollars ($60) for his arrest and detention until delivered to an officer from this penitentiary, or I will pay in addition to the reward the actual and reasonably incurred expenses between the place of arrest and this penitentiary on condition that the right man is delivered here. Will be pleased to hear from you at an early date. We have plenty of means to positively identify the man if he is delivered here. "

I seems that no more letters passed between Warden McClaughry and the informer, Barnes. Instead, however, the warden wrote to Chief of Police John Hayes on April 18 as follows, sending Barnes' letter:

"Inclosed find copies of correspondence which I have had with a man in your city a Mr. -----Barnes of No. -----. I do not know anything about this man Barnes, but rather suspect that he is a former prisoner from this penitentiary and that he is well acquainted with the escaped prisoner, William January, No. 272, whom we want back here to serve the unexpired part of his term which he owes here. I will pay $60 (sixty dollars) for the arrest and detention of January until he is safely delivered to an officer from this penitentiary. I will be very much obliged if you will kindly detail a couple of officers to go and see this man Barnes and see if they can get this man January. If your officers learn that January is out of Kansas City please call me up on the telephone and I will decide what to do about it. Thank you in advance for anything you may do for me in this matter, I remain, Very respectfully, R. W. MCCLAUGHRY, Warden."

The correspondence was given into the hands of Detectives Oldham and Ghent, with instructions to see Barnes. They did so on strict instructions from Chief Hayes to arrest January on view and bring him in. It has not been so stated, but it seems rather odd that January should have been arrested on the same street where Barnes has a small business., but it looks as if the escaped man may have been called down there for some purpose or other by the man who sought only the $60 reward. The detectives carried a photograph of the man wanted. Barnes identified it as that of Charles W. Anderson.

"When the man was pointed out to us on the street," the detectives said yesterday, "we arrested him, just as we would have arrested any other man for whom we had been sent out. The first thing Barnes mentioned to us was the reward. We told him that was a matter purely between him and the warden, as we expected no reward and were only sent to arrest January on orders from the chief.

"If it is true that Barnes cannot receive the reward after all, on account of some technicality, we want to state right now that not one penny will be touched by us. We knew nothing of Anderson's life here and never knew he was married and had a little baby until after the arrest. Even had we known that, however, acting under orders as we were, we still would have been compelled to arrest him."

Mrs. Charles W. Anderson, leading her little girl by the hand, went to police headquarters yesterday afternoon to ask only one question.

"What is the name of the man who caused my husband's arrest and where does he live?"

She was given all the information and told just how the arrest was brought about. "That man may have a wife, perhaps children, too," she said, as big tears trickled down her pale cheeks. "If he has I hope that they may never be caused to suffer as I am suffering now on account of the greed of a despicable informer." She made no note of the man's name, saying that she could never forget it as long as she lived. Then she and the little girl left the station hand in hand.

Labels: , , , , ,

Special Report -- C. W. ANDERSON


A movement was suggested by members of the Red Cross mission to start a subscription list among business men of the city to raise funds for the support of Mrs. Charles Anderson and her little daughter, but to this Mrs. Anderson has not given consent. She declared that the people were already doing so much for her in trying to obtain the release of her husband that to ask more would be imposing upon the generosity of the people.

Labels: ,

Special Report -- C. W. ANDERSON


"I Want to See Myself Right on This
Anderson Case," He Said.

Ben T. Barnes, the informer, yesterday called up Chief Hayes and said: "Here, chief, I want to set myself right on this turning up of Anderson. I want you to know that I--"

"I haven't anything on earth to do with the case," replied the chief, "further than to make the arrest on request of Warden McClaughry."

"They've raised such a rumpus about this thing that I want the officers to know that --"

"Tell that to Warden McClaughry," broke in Chief Hayes again. "All of your dealings were with him, not with me. My men dealt with you only on request from the warden. Talk to him."

"I guess I'll have to," replied Barnes. "I want to set myself right on this thing pretty soon."

"I don't see how any man could see that wife and little baby and then have the heart to take away their only support," said the chief as he turned away. "When a thing like that is put up to an officer, as this case was to us, there is no other course to pursue but arrest the man. What I can't understand is why information should be given against a man who was leading the upright life Anderson was. Had he still been living a criminal life, I could understand it better."

Labels: ,

Special Report -- C. W. ANDERSON


Apropos of the Anderson case, the Helping Hand comes forward with a few stories of men who, laboring under religious excitement, gave themselves up to serve out unexpired terms in prison.
"I remember well one night about eight or nine years ago," said Mr. Mitchell, of that institution. "Rev. Dr. Shawhan was preaching. Testimonials were asked for. A tall man arose in the audience and came forward. 'It means something for me to give my testimony here tonight,' he said. 'It means that I will have to go back to the Colorado penitentiary at Canon City and serve a term of ten years, but I mean to do it.'
"There was a reward for $500 for the capture of that man," went on Mr. Mitchell. "He walked straight over to police headquarters, where his picture was on the wall with the advertised reward. He gave himself up and went back willingly. That man wanted to give the reward to the Helping Hand for slum work, but it was not accepted. The police nearly had a fit when that man gave himself up and $500 went to the bowwows."
E. T. Bringham told a story of another man who, after a service, went around to Rev. Mr. Shawhan's office on Fourth street and told him that he was wanted in Leavenworth. He was not believed until the prison was called up and an officer said: "Sure, we want that man. We'll send an officer down after him right away."
"Never mind," Rev. Mr. Shawhan replied' "he'll come up himself." And they say that he did.
Then they told the story of a man named Lynn. He and a "pal had planned to "crack" a safe in St. Louis, and were to go out that night on a Missouri Pacific train.
"Hiding from the police," said Mr. Brigham, "they secreted themselves under the steps while the gospel meeting was going on. When it was about over, Lynn came forward and said, 'My pal has flown, but here I am, ready to give up. I have served three terms in the pen, and I don't want too serve any more. Here are the plans of the 'crib' we were to crack in St. Louis tomorrow night."
In order to get that man home to his mother in the North, we had to get a letter from Chief Hayes to act as a pass, and his photograph was in every rogues' gallery in the country. He had learned the shoe trade in Jefferson City. He went home, went to work in a shop. After a time he was made foreman, and now he is one of the managers of a big concern."

Labels: , , , , , , ,

Special Report -- C. W. ANDERSON


Adds His Recommendation for the
Pardon of Anderson.

Chief of Police John Hayes is one who believes that Charles Anderson has not had a square deal. he wrote the following letter to Congressman E. C. Ellis yesterday. It explains itself:

Hon. E. C. Ellis.
Dear Sir:--I have investigated the case of and talked with a great many people who are well acquainted with William January, alias Charles W. Anderson. They have known him for nine years and all say that they have known him as a good, law abiding citizen. As far as my investigation has gone this man has shown himself to be all the people say about him. He has led an honest and upright life since he has been in this city and considering the circumstances as they have arisen, and the upright manner in which he has conducted himself, I cannot to otherwise than recommend his pardon.

His wife and child deserve consideration in the case and they surely have the sympathy of nine-tenths of the good people of Kansas City. He made a mistake at one time in his life, but I am convinced that he has fully atoned for the error and should have the greatest consideration at the hands of a merciful people. Trusting that all efforts tending toward the speedy pardon of Charles W. Anderson may meet with success, I remain, truly and sincerely, JOHN HAYS, Chief of Police.

Labels: , ,

Special Report -- C. W. ANDERSON


A petition for the pardon of C. W. Anderson, which was circulated yesterday, was signed by all the county officials and all the circuit judges except one, the latter agreeing to add his signature today. In the city hall all the city officials signed but three, who could not be seen.

Petitions were circulated all over town by all classes of people. The Rev. John Sauer, pastor of the German Lutheran church at 1317 Oak street, will circulate a petition among the members of his church. Merchants in this city and in Kansas City, Kas., and Armourdale, secured copies of the petition and will ask for signatures among their customers.

Last night there were 600 petitions in circulation and it was estimated that 8,000 persons had signed. More than a thousand signers were secured to a petition that was circulated among the passengers of street cars yesterday. The man with the petitions would board a loaded car, go through it requesting the signatures of the passengers and get off at the next transfer point. Here he would board another car, repeating the former performance. At 6 o'clock he stated that he had secured more than 900 names and that only four time had a signature been refused.

At the meeting of the Episcopal Church Club at the Savoy hotel last night a petition was presented by Rev. Father J. Stewart Smith of St. Mary's church and signed by every member present, about fifty altogether. The motion to present the petition was seconded by Rev. Edward B. Woodruff of St. George's church.

Hundreds of names were attached to petitions circulated at the city hall yesterday asking for the immediate release of Anderson. Mayor Beardsley was about the first to sign.

"If what I have read in the newspapers concerning Anderson is right," said the mayor, "he should be given his liberty."

Last night

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

Special Report -- C. W. ANDERSON



ben_t_barnes.gif (39265 bytes)
"The Informer" Who Betrayed Charles
Anderson in Hope of $60 Reward.

Ben T. Barnes, an ex-convict, who conducts a harness shop at 2845 Southwest boulevard, is the person who betrayed Charles Anderson into the hands of the law.

Barnes has no regret for his act.

The tears of the heartbroken Mrs. Anderson have failed to touch a softer side of his nature. The blight cast by his act upon the name of the innocent Anderson child brings him no twinge of remorse.

Barnes knows the horrors of prison stripes -- the encircled his body for months. He knows the terrible penalty society inflicts upon its wayward members, even after they have satisfied the judgment of the law. Yet, with scheming, deliberate, cruel malevolence he consigned a fellow being who was leading an upright, honest life, respected by his neighbors, happy in his home, to a fate as pitiless as the tomb.

He sent Charles Anderson back to walled-in cells of steel, wrecked a home where love was the guiding spirit, and for what?

Was it for the $60 reward the government pays for escaped convicts?

Barnes says it was not. His letters to the prison warden tell an entirely different story.

In his home in Southwest boulevard Barnes gave his reasons for "turning up." He said: "But the public evidently wants escaped convicts to be left at large, and, as far as I'm concerned, they can have the rest of them free, since they think the law is wrong.

"It would never have been done if it had not been put up to me in such a shape that I was bound to do it for the benefit to myself. Anyone who had been in my place and under obligations to tote fair with officers, would have done the same thing. I am hoping and working to have my citizenship restored, and I was told by interested persons to 'come through' with the whereabouts of this man, and it was business for me to do it.

"It would never have been done if it had not been put up to me in such a shape that I was bound to do it for the benefit to myself. Anyone who had been in my place and under obligations to tote fair with officers, would have done the same thing. I am hoping and working to have my citizenship restored, and I was told by interested persons to 'come through' with the whereabouts of this man, and it was business for me to do it.

Lucille Anderson, Innocent Victim  Devastated by Loss of her Father.
Daughter of Charles Anderson, an Innocent
Victim of Ex-Convicts Cupidity.

"I can't understand how people who believe in supporting the majesty of the law can turn indignantly against me, I suppose it will gratify these gushing people to learn that I happen to know six or eight other escaped convicts at large in Kansas City. They are all, of course, from one prison, and there are many others from elsewhere. Do you suppose anybody is going to report such men to the officials when the public makes a hero of the wrongdoer and wants to mob the man who showed him up? I was not to judge Anderson . The law said he was wrong. It wasn't my business to take issue with the law.

Barnes is proud of his own record for honesty and industry since he got out of prison. He married seven years ago, telling the girl and her mother beforehand his history. Now he lives in a room in the rear of his shop and there are two children. He has conducted the same shop for four years, and says he is not afraid that the notoriety will injure his business.

"Everybody knows that I'm square," he says.

Labels: ,

Special Report -- C. W. ANDERSON



Sir: -- We, the undersigned citizens of Kansas City, Missouri, respectfully petition your excellency to grant a full pardon to one Charles W. Anderson, who is now confined in the federal prison at Fort Leavenworth, Kansas, and in support of this petition beg to submit the following brief statement of the facts:

The prisoner, Anderson, was confined in the prison nearly thirteen years ago, at the age of 21 years, under a five-year sentence for larceny from the postoffice of Stillwater, O. T. He served within eight months of his term (allowed time off for good behavior), when he embraced an opportunity to escape and fled to Kansas City, where he has been for the last nine years. On the 19th day of April, 1907, another ex-convict, who was confined in the prison at the same time, recognized Anderson, and disclosed his whereabouts to the federal authorities, and for the $60 reward originally offered for his return, Anderson was immediately arrested, and on the next day was taken back to prison.

During the nine years that Anderson lived in this community, we have learned to respect and honor him as one of our best citizens. He married an estimable young lady, and to them was born a daughter three year ago. He worked hard until he accumulated sufficient funds to start a small business of his own, and always encouraged his few employes along the lines of honesty and sobriety. His industry and his devotion to his home and family have won for him the respect and confidence of this community to an unusual degree, and we can safely say that there is not anyone of us in whose integrity greater confidence has been reposed than in Mr. Anderson, and this has extended over a period of nine years. We fell, therefor, that these years of exemplary life has fully atoned for a crime committed when a mere boy, and that the ends of justice will be the best subserved by restoring him again to his family, and we ask this with the full confidence that if clemency is extended to him he will be as good a citizen in the future as he has been for the last nine years. He was confined in prison under the name of William January.


Labels: , ,

Special Report -- C. W. ANDERSON


Details His Life Since Escape
From Leavenworth Penitentiary.

LEAVENWORTH, KAS.--(Special.) Charles W. Anderson, late this afternoon, in the presence of Warden R. W. McClaughry, of the United States penitentiary, covered in detail his career from the time he escaped from prison in October, 1898, up to the time he was arrested in Kansas City a few days ago. This is the first statement Anderson has made covering his nine years of freedom and it was made for Congressman Ellis, of Kansas City, who wrote Warden McClaughry today that he would present Anderson's application for pardon to the president and he wished to get all the facts possible concerning the man.

In the first place Anderson said his right name is John W. January. He said he and Walter Axton, upon their escape from prison on the night of October 9, 1898, went to Atchison, where they parted next day. He went from there to Winfield, Kas., and secured work in a rock quarry. In a few days Axton showed up there and he also took a position in the quarry.

About two months later Axton was found dead, but it was never determined whether he committed suicide or died a natural death. Anderson continued to work in the quarry another month, when he took a position, going from house to house, selling tea and coffee. He continued at this work about a year, when he went to Kansas City.

Upon arrival in Kansas City he became an insurance solicitor, but did not work on that long, as he did not like the work. Then he began selling tea, coffee and spices on his own account. He followed this a while, when he became a street car conductor and remained in the service until he started in the restaurant business.

This he sold out a few weeks ago and was seeking another location when arrested.

Warden McClaughry is satisfied that Anderson covered his record exactly as it occurred and he believes the prisoner's statement will go a long way toward securing executive clemency for him. Warden McClaughry said tonight that Anderson's chances for getting a full pardon from the president were exceedingly bright.

Labels: , , ,

Special Report -- C. W. ANDERSON


Visited Anderson Yesterday -- Grateful for Efforts in His Behalf.

"It will only be a few days, I know, before baby and I will have him with us," said Mrs. Charles Anderson last night at her home, 1117 Holmes street, in referring to her husband. "But God only knows how long those days will be to us. It seems now that years have passed since he was taken away. Everyone has been kind to us, thought, and I probably should not complain."

Mrs. Anderson and her 3-year-old daughter, Lucille, went to Leavenworth yesterday, and were allowed a two hours' conference at the penitentiary with Anderson. They returned last evening. After their return, several friends called at the home to offer consolation and to encourage her in her trouble. Among them were Fred Aldergott, J. K. Butler, J. B. Gurnan and R. H. Kerr, all former associates of Anderson, and among those most actively interested in the movement to obtain his freedom.

"My husband was in fairly good spirits today," said Mrs. Anderson. "He had only learned today what was being done in his behalf by the people of Kansas City, and I tell you he is grateful. He cried when I told him how kind the people are to baby and me, and when I told him how a mighty effort is being made by the people to secure his release, he seized baby in his arms and cried still harder. Baby cried and I cried, too, but they were not entirely tears of sorrow. I had gone there with the intention of cheering him, instead of making him more depressed, and determined not to cry, but it was the thought of the kindness of our friends that prompted me to do it."

Warden McClaughry gave Mrs. Anderson permission to see her husband on any day she visited the penitentiary, excepting Saturdays and Sundays. She will try to visit the institution once every week.

"If my husband is not pardoned," said Mrs. Anderson, "I will probably have to move to Leavenworth, where I will be near him."

Anderson is working in the laundry department at the prison. His duties are not arduous, and, as he told his wife, he has received excellent treatment since his return.

Labels: , , ,

April 22, 1907



Persons Who Did Not Know Ander-
son Are Interested in the Move-
ment to Secure His Release--
Only the President Can
Free Kansas Cityan.

Today a thousand men, representing every walk of life in Kansas City, will begin working to secure a pardon for Charles W. Anderson, who escaped from the penitentiary at Leavenworth nine years ago with but eight months of five years sentence before him for robbing a post office in Oklahoma, and was arrested here Saturday and taken back to the prison.

A mass meeting of business men who knew Anderson will be held tonight at 702 East Twelfth street with a view of securing a pardon. Petitions were circulated yesterday and one of them had forty signers within an hour after it had been drawn. Last night seventy-five names were on the list.

This petition was drawn in behalf of Anderson to be presented in connection with a petition which will be sent to President Roosevelt. Other similar petitions, to be attached to an original paper which will be presented at the meeting tonight, have been scattered about the city and the signers ask no questions. Many of them know Anderson personally and describe him as a hale fellow well met, honest and trustworthy.

Congressman E. C. Ellis has been invited to attend the meeting tonight and it is expected that he will be there. When asked last night what he would do for the prisoner, he said:
I have not investigated the matter as much as I should like to, but will do so tomorrow and if he is as worthy as he is said to be I will present the petition for his pardon to President Roosevelt. If the reports of him are true I will be very glad to take the matter up."
The petitions started yesterday will be given active circulation today. One of them was placed in Brooks' restaurant, 210 East Twelfth street, another at Clifford's cigar store at Twelfth street and Grand avenue, and a third, which received more signatures than the rest, in Lorber's cigar store, 317 East Twelfth street.
Lorber, who has known him in a business way for several years, says that Anderson has been prompt in his payments and that he did not hesitate at any time to trust "Charlie" for $75 or $100. In fact, when Anderson wanted to buy his partner's interest in February, a year ago, Lorber advanced the necessary money to him on Anderson's mere statement he did not have enough money to make the purchase.
"Did he pay it back?" exclaimed Lorber, almost in astonishment that the question should be asked, "Well, I should say he did. And quickly, too. And more than that, all of his payments on bills of goods were made promptly. No one questioned the honestly of Anderson."
All of his friends know him as Anderson. "Charlie," they call him, and in the familiarity of the name itself they express sentiment of men who, when they know a man, know him well.
Anderson first went into business for himself at 720 East Twelfth street, April 4, 1905, in partnership with a man named Lowry, purchasing the latter's interest in the restaurant over a year ago. After running the business alone for a year and two days, he sold out, and started to look for a better location. He was always cheerful, it is said, and everyone who refers to his home life speaks of his affection for his little girl, 3 years old, and his wife.
"Is it justice to take a man who is working industriously and trying hard to succeed, back to prison for a crime committed twelve years ago?" asked a friend of his last night on a street corner where the arrest of Anderson for a forgotten robbery was the chief subject of discussion.
A number of citizens called on Charles Riehl, assistant prosecuting attorney, last night to have him draw up the petition which will be presented to President Roosevelt. It is doubtful if Kansas City ever took as much interest in the release of a prisoner as has been shown in seeking the liberation of Anderson. Not only those who knew him but men who never heard his name before are actively working for his release.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,


Get the Book
Vintage Kansas City Stories ~ Early 20th Century Americana as Immortalized in The Kansas City Journal
Kansas City Stories

Early Kansas City, Missouri

>>More KC Books<<

The History and Heritage of Vintage Kansas City in Books
Vintage Kansas
City Bookstore

Powered by Blogger

Vintage Kansas

Vintage Antique Classics ~ Vintage Music, Software, and more Time Travel Accessories

In association with
KC Web ~ The Ultimate Kansas City Internet Directory