Find Rare Kansas City Antiques and Collectibles at the Vintage Kansas City Marketplace ~ Own a Piece of Old KC

Vintage Kansas - A Celebration of Kansas City Past!


Old News from Kansas City - Vintage New Items
Headlines and Articles from The Kansas City Journal

Business Office...4000 Main
City Editor.....4001 Main
Society Editor....4002 Main

Two cents. Subscription Rates:  By carrier, per week, 10 cents; per month, 45 cents.  By mail, daily and Sunday, one month, 40 cents; three months, $1.00; six months, $2.00; one year, $4.00.  Sunday only, six months, 75 cents; one year, $1.50.  Weekly Journal, 25 cents one year.

Like Vintage Kansas City on Facebook

As We See 'Em ~ Caricatures of Prominent Kansas Cityans

The Isis Theatre ~ Kansas City, Missouri

The History of Fairmount Park

Claims of Cancer Cured by Dr. Bye in Vintage KC Missouri

Special Cut Prices ~ Always the Same

Blogging Fusion Blog Directory

August 23, 1909


Father and Son Succumb to Fever in
Stricken Neighborhood.

Two more victims of typhoid fever have been reported from the neighborhood of Eighth street and Brighton avenue, where there has been a small epidemic of that disease for the past two weeks, the last two cases being father and son, John Sheffner, 5016 East Eighth street, a carpenter 64 years old, died yesterday morning. His son, G. Blaine Sheffner, died last Thursday.

Funeral services will be in the Armour memorial chapel and burial will be in Elmwood cemetery.

Labels: , , , , , ,

April 10, 1908


James Reeve Is Still Seeking Treasure
Buried by His Wife.

The hiding place of Mrs. Emmaline Reeve's treasure still baffles the widowed husband, James Reeve. Yesterday at his brick cottage, 715 East Fourth street, he thought and thought again, over and over, trying to recall some hints his wife might have dropped in past years that would aid him now in recovering the $3,000 or thereabouts that she had been gradually putting away in gold and silver for fifteen years.

Four days of looking had tired Mr. Reeve, and yesterday he tried to think it out. The story having come out, the neighborhood took interest, and to the husband's surprise the common opinion was that the money had not been hidden in the garden or chicken yard, but somewhere in the brick dwelling. She was a woman, the neighbors reasoned, and her home was truly her fortress and there, where she could watch the spot that covered her treasure, Mrs. Reeve must have placed it. Mr. Reeve became converted to this opinion. A man whose duties take him far from things he loves might hide valuables in garden earth, but not a woman. This conclusion put Mr. Reeve more at ease,as well as Mrs. Reeve's sister, Mrs. Smythe, who had come on from Toronto. The thought of curious visitors scanning the premises seemed to have vanished and Mr. Reeve feels that the four walls of his home safely protect his all.

At midnight last night Mrs. Smythe, with the body of her sister, began the long trip back to Toronto. Finding that her sister had elected to live her life in surroundings that were scant of luxuries and of friends made Mrs. Smythe's stay in Kansas City unexpectedly sad. The men of their own family are rich wholesale merchants in Toronto, a cousin, J. Angus Shaw, is manager of the New York World, and other cousin, Charles Rykert, has for some years been a member of the Dominion Parliament. Mrs. Reeve's disappointments in the early loss of all her children, and then of their savings in the bank, Mrs. Smythe thinks, caused her to conceal from her family that she had become eccentric about money.

And the husband, eager to please his unhappy wife, let her have her way and no one of the friends in Canada knew much of their lives. Mr. Reeve, who is a stationary engineer with the gas company,will continue to live in his cottage. He had induced his wife to consent to move from that old home there in Little Italy and had purchased a lot at Sixteenth and Brighton avenue on which he expected to build her a new home after Easter.

Mrs. Reeve was ill with pneumonia and grip only eight days. Two days before her death she was told it would occur, but she could not believe it. She laughed as she promised her husband and sister Saturday that she would on Sunday tell them where her money was hidden, if they still thought she was going to die. She died before Sunday came.

Labels: , , , , ,

November 2, 1907


With Forty Indictments Against Him He
Was a Fugitive.

William B. Sloan, a druggist at Ninth street and Brighton avenue, against whom the grand jury in the criminal court returned forty indictments three weeks ago, was arrested last night by Martin Roos, a deputy county marshal. After the indictments were returned against him for selling liquor on Sunday, Sloan went to the home of his father at 50 Clifton street, Kansas City, Kas. A fugitive warrant had been issued by the Kansas authorities and preparations had been made to extradite Sloan when he returned to Missouri and remained in hiding. He was taken to the county jail last night and will remain there until released on bond.

Sloan has been fined in police court several times for selling liquor illegally. Each case was appealed to the criminal court, where only one case has been tried. In that case a jury fined him $500 and it is now on appeal to the Kansas City court of appeals.

Labels: , , ,

April 10, 1907



Theory of Police That Lad Was Kid-
naped Grows Stronger as Evidence
of Hack Drivers Is Brought to
Their Notice -- Three Persons
Said to Be Involved.

Mrs. Annie L. Sadlier, grandmother of Charles H. McNeese, 2305 Brighton avenue, who disappeared on his way to the Ashland school last Friday, was arrested at her home, 1522 McGee street, by Detective W. H. Bates and Thomas Hayde yesterday afternoon. Though Mrs. Sadlier denies any part in the affair, she was positively identified yesterday afternoon by two hack drivers, one of whom said he hauled her twice while looking for the child and another one who says he drove the very carriage in which little Charles was taken away and that Mrs. Sadlier was a passenger as far as the Ashland school. Charles M. Howell, attorney for Mr. McNeese, said last night that an information would be filed against Mrs. Sadlier this morning, charging her with kidnaping.

There is still another hack driver in the case who has not been located and the police think that he will come forward and assist in identifying the woman under arrest when he learns that no charge will be placed against him. This is the man who drove the hack to the Irving school Twenty-fourth and Prospect, a week ago today, when Garrell Ash, the 6-year-old son of Mrs. Lou Ash, 2413 East Twenty-third street, was taken away protesting. Charles McNeeese used to attend that school and the kidnapers evidently made a mistake. Garrell was taken to a house at 1522 McGee street, questioned for a long time and then sent home on a car. It was this incident, given the detectives yesterday, which led to the first clue, as at that number lives the missing child's grandmother -- mother of McNees's divorced wife. Ash pointed out the house and will be given a chance to see Mrs. Sadler today.

"Tink" Williams, a driver from the Jackson livery barn, 1309 Walnut street, at once identified Mrs. Sadlier. He told the detectives that he had hauled Mrs. Sadlier and a younger woman with a baby on two occasions and that both times they drove out around the schools on the East side when the children were going to school.
Charles Burch, a negro driver for the Eylar Bros.' livery barn, who also identified Mrs. Sadlier readily, said that it was he who drove the carriage the day young McNeese was stolen. He told of the same two women, one elderly, the other young and with her a baby. He drove them last Friday morning to the Ashland school, Twenty-fourth street and Elmwood avenue.
"I was told to wait about a block form the school," said Burch, "as both women got out. Presently the younger woman and a man returned, leading and dragging a little boy, who didn't seem to want to go. This woman was still carrying her baby. I never saw the older woman until today at police headquarters."
When they got in the cab again Burch was told to drive post-haste to Armourdale, where he was dismissed as the quartette boarded an electric car. They are believed to have transferred so as to reach the Leavenworth electric line in Kansas City, Kas.
Mrs. Sadlier, when first arrested, told Detective Bates that she had seen her daughter, the former Mrs. McNeese, only last week. At the station she denied the statement and said she had not seen her in three years, but heard from her eight months ago in Montreal, Canada. She then said one of her nieces was at her house last week and followed that with a denial, saying that she had seen none of them for eight months.
Her statement, taken later in the day, reads in part:
My name is Annie L. Sadlier. My daughter's name now is Mrs. Annie Evans. She married Charles C. McNeese eleven years ago and they had one child, Charles Hiram McNeese. She and McNeese were divorced about four years ago and he given the custody of the child for one year by Judge Gibson, when it was to be given to its mother if she proved herself worthy. She married Bruce Evans afterwards and on March 1 three years ago moved away from here. Don't care to say when I last saw my daughter, if not compelled to answer now. Was home all day Friday, April 5, and not out of the house from 1 to 4 p. m. Don't remember anyone that day at all and don't remember when my brother got home. I am not going to answer the
question whether I saw my daughter Friday and will say no more until the
proper time. I positively declare that I was not in a hack last week at any time. Was not at any liver barn last week, either. I positively declare that I had noting to do with the kidnaping of Charles McNeese last week.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

April 8, 1907


Police Unable to Locate Charles
McNeese Who Disappeared Friday.

As yet the police have been unable to locate Charles H. McNeese, the 6-year-old son of C. C. McNeese, 2305 Brighton avenue. The lad has not been heard from since he left home Friday morning to go to the Ashland school at Twenty-fourth street and Elmwood avenue. The suspicion that the boy was kidnaped by two women who appeared near the school house in a closed carriage both Thursday and Friday mornings, was substantiated by a man who saw them talking to the boy just before they drove away Friday morning. That was the last seen of him in the neighborhood of his home or the school.

A description of one of the women in the carriage tallies with that of the boy's mother, from whom his father secured a divorce about three years ago. The police are searching for the missing boy, and descriptions of him have been sent out to police departments of other cities.

Labels: , , , , , ,

February 20, 1907


Lost Consciousness When Husband
Was Sentenced to Prison.

We, the jury, find the defendant guilty as charged and assess his punishment at three years in the penitentiary. ---

A well dressed woman of middle age slipped from her chair in the criminal court room yesterday when she heard those words read by the clerk, and was caught up by deputies. She was unconscious. It was the verdict against her husband for obtaining property under false pretenses, and she had fainted. The woman was Mr. S. M. Miller, the wife of a Chillicothe real estate dealer. She was carried to one of the side rooms and revived. Her husband's lawyer gave notice of appeal, furnished bond, and Mr. and Mrs. Miller left for Chillicothe last night.

A year or more ago Mr. and Mrs. R. F. Freeman owned a home on Brighton avenue. It was worth $1,200, they said. One day Miller came to town and offered to trade them for it 143 acres of what he said was good and improved real estate in Carter county, Mo.

The trade went through and the transfers were made. The Freemans went to look at their new farm. It was not what they expected, by any means. It was not improved as Miller said, lay on the side of a mountain and was very poor land. They sought to trade back, but Miller refused. Then they consulted a lawyer, with the result that Miller was arrested and is now convicted. The Freemans will get their home back. Miller is over 50 years of age.

Labels: , , , ,


Get the Book
Vintage Kansas City Stories ~ Early 20th Century Americana as Immortalized in The Kansas City Journal
Kansas City Stories

Early Kansas City, Missouri

>>More KC Books<<

The History and Heritage of Vintage Kansas City in Books
Vintage Kansas
City Bookstore

Powered by Blogger

Vintage Kansas

Vintage Antique Classics ~ Vintage Music, Software, and more Time Travel Accessories

In association with
KC Web ~ The Ultimate Kansas City Internet Directory