Find Rare Kansas City Antiques and Collectibles at the Vintage Kansas City Marketplace ~ Own a Piece of Old KC

Vintage Kansas - A Celebration of Kansas City Past!


Old News from Kansas City - Vintage New Items
Headlines and Articles from The Kansas City Journal

Business Office...4000 Main
City Editor.....4001 Main
Society Editor....4002 Main

Two cents. Subscription Rates:  By carrier, per week, 10 cents; per month, 45 cents.  By mail, daily and Sunday, one month, 40 cents; three months, $1.00; six months, $2.00; one year, $4.00.  Sunday only, six months, 75 cents; one year, $1.50.  Weekly Journal, 25 cents one year.

Like Vintage Kansas City on Facebook

As We See 'Em ~ Caricatures of Prominent Kansas Cityans

The Isis Theatre ~ Kansas City, Missouri

The History of Fairmount Park

Claims of Cancer Cured by Dr. Bye in Vintage KC Missouri

Special Cut Prices ~ Always the Same

Blogging Fusion Blog Directory

July 30, 1909


Fulkerson, Formerly of Kansas City,
Dies in Arkansas.

Heirs for an estate estimated at $10,000 to $90,000 are sought in a letter to Chief of Police Frank Snow from Little Rock, Ark., in which is told the death of Z. K. Fulkerson on June 10, who left an estate.

Fulkerson was proprietor of the "K. C. Restaurant" in Little Rock, and is believed to have gone there from Kansas City. He often mentioned having a brother in Kansas City, and as he left no will, the administrator of the estate, J. L. Eastin, 1719 State street, Little Rock, would like to obtain news of the heirs.

Labels: , ,

September 28, 1908


Man From Arkansas Stepped Out to
Get Buttermilk.

"I don't for the life o' me see how anybody could a took 'em," complained a man from Evening Shade, Ark., to Lieutenant Edward F. Burke of police station No. 2.

"You see," he went on, "I put my grip down on a seat at the Union depot and my umbrell' on top of it. Then me and a friend o' mine went across Union avenue for a drink o' buttermilk. When we got back the things wasn't there -- and we hadn't been gone more'n twenty minutes."

The lieutenant thought it best not to blight the fresh unsophistication of the Arkansawyer and so kept his opinion to himself.

Labels: , , , , , ,

June 6, 1908


Italian Romance Is Shattered by Hus-
band and Four Lusty

A romance of Little Italy was spoiled last night by the inerference of the police, and Nick Salardino and Joe Bolarchine and their co-wife, Carrie, retired with heavy hearts. The eloping couple was caught at Union depot by detectives.

Two days ago Nick Salardino married Miss Carrie Bisbee, who lived at Fifth and Cherry streets. Their marriage was solemnized with the usual Italian ceremony and the best man was Joe Bolarchino. Then the honeymoon began.

It lasted -- well, until Joe, the best man, happened to gain private conversation with the bride Then the elopement was planned and two tickets were purchased for Van Buren, Ark.

At the Union depot last night just before 10 o'clock, Nick, the bridegroom, who was wise to the fact that his wife was eloping with the best man, appeared and demanded their arrest. Detectives Sanderson, Julian, Lyngar and Harvey were on hand and the whole big four swooped down upon the eloping couple. They found Joe and Carrie in a Missouri Pacific train and placed them under arrest. Detective Sanderson asked the bride for her ticket and she produced a Missouri Pacific ticket for Van Buren, and told the officers taht she was going away with Joe because, she said, he was the only man she ever loved and she didn't care much for her husband, Nick.

Joe and Carrie, the eloping couple, were locked up at the West Bottoms police station. A charge will be filed agasint them today. The bride, the only one implicated who can talk English, declined last night to discuss he affair other tahn to say she loves the man she tried to elope with to Arkansas.

Labels: , , , , ,

April 24, 1908


Ekim Milcheff of Razgad, Villaye
Dikilitash, Finds Friends.

Ekim Milcheff, Razgad, Villaye Dikilitash, Bulgaria. That is the full name and home address of the unfortunate Bulgarian who has been in the general hospital since April 12, unable to tell anything of himself. His English vocabulary consisted of "Arkansas, sawmill" and "me much sick." His left hand had been badly injured, evidently in a sawmill, and the index and second fingers had to be amputated.

F. H. Ream, spiritual director of the Helping Hand, interested himself in the man and endeavored to talk to him. Mr. Ream speaks several languages, but was unable to make himself understood with any of them. Yesterday morning the unfortunate man's story was published, and Mr. Ream requested that some Bulgarian go and see him. Several called upon the injured man at the general hospital yesterday, and the delight of the lonely man at being able to talk with a countryman was unbounded.

They learned that Milcheff has a wife Nidela Milcheff, at home in the little Bulgarian village. His next best friend in this country -- he has no relatives here -- is Netko Ruseff of Leslie, Ark. It was learned that Milcheff had been working at a sawmill forty-six miles from Leslie, Ark., called Camp No. 7. He did not know the name of the firm. The hospital authorities will correspond with Ruseff and his Bulgarian friends said they would notify his wife. His unfortunate condition may also be taken up with the nearest Bulgarian consul.

Milcheff, after his injury, was subjected to some rude surgery. He must have been shipped here, for he was found at Union depot. The circular saw had torn its way through his left hand, between the second and third fingers, almost into the wrist. The surgeon had tied the blood vessels with silk. He must have run out of that, as part of the man's hand had been sewed together with ordinary twine string. The hand had become badly infected and Dr. J. P. Neal, who treated him here, said that his suffering could not have been told in mere words.

Labels: , , , , , ,

April 23, 1908



No One Has Been Found Who Can
Talk With Him and Learn
His Home -- Bouquet
Brings Tears.

If any one in Kansas City can talk the Bulgarian language, he will do an act of charity if he will call upon F. H. Ream, religious director of the Helping Hand institute, and assist him in learning the identity of a Bulgarian now at the general hospital.

The unfortunate man has been tried with Polish, Slav, Russian, German and many other European tongues, but to all he is dumb. He has indicated that he can speak Bulgarian. On April 12 the man was found at the Union depot, suffering from a badly injured left hand. He was taken to the general hospital, where it was discovered that a circular saw had ploughed its way into his left hand between the second and ring fingers. It became necessary to amputate both the index and second fingers. The saw tore through almost to the man's wrist.

All day long the poor fellow sits in his ward, unable to say a thing but "Arkansas," "sawmill" and "me much sick," when spoken to.

While in the flower store of Miss J. E. Murray yesterday, Ream told the story of the melancholy Bulgarian with the injured hand.

"So far from home," he said, "badly injured, and can't speak a word of English, but the few he says all the time."

"I wonder if flowers could talk to him," Miss Murray said.

"They speak to all nations alike," said Ream, "especially to the unfortunate."

Miss Murray fixed up a bouquet f roses, bright red American Beauties, carnations of all shades and interspersed them with violets. She told Ream to take them to the injured man. He did, returning to the hospital to do so.

"It was the most pathetic scene I ever witnessed," said Ream last night. "When I went in I walked up and laid the bouquet in the man's good hand. Without looking up he said, 'Me much sick,' but when he felt the damp flowers he grasped the stems and looked up as if to say some mistake has been made. I indicated that the flower were for him and said so in Polish. His face flushed, bowed among the flowers. 'Me? Me?' he asked, excitedly, still clinging to the blossoms. I had to indicate again that they were all for him.

"Once more the poor fellow buried his face among the flowers," concluded Ream, "but when he lifted his head, big tears were streaming down his cheeks. The flowers had spoken to him."

The unfortunate is between 39 and 45 years old. From signs made by him, the nurse, who has been attending him, believes that he has two daughters somewhere. He will point to her, hold up two fingers and then pat his own breast.

It is believed that the man was injured at a sawmill somewhere in Arkansas and was sent into Kansas City to be cared for by the city.

"If I can find someone who can talk to him," said Ream, "I think we will learn where his people are."

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

February 17, 1908





"I Love Him More Than I Do Myself.
Please Have That Big Policeman
Let Him Talk to Me,"
Miss Willis Said.

Ida A. Willis of Blackrock, Ark., came to Kansas City to marry James Rainwater, whom she had met on a train in Arkansas. Both Miss Willis and Rainwater were examined by Police Captain Walter Whitsett yesterday evening and are being held for investigation.

Ida, who confesses to 18 years, when she looks to be not over 15, walks flat-footed and wears neither a straight front nor a rat in her hair, is comely in spite of her dress. Her eyes have the shade of blue that appeals and when she takes your hands and asks you to help her out of trouble you feel like doing your best.

"I love him so," she said last night as she lay on the couch in the matron's office and fingered a Baptist hymnal which she had brought with her from Blackrock. "I love him more than myself. Please have that nice, big policeman who talked to me let him out of jail and send him up to see me. I want to talk to him.

"I was never in a city like this before, although I have worked in Hoxie and in Jonesburg, Ark. I never saw big buildings like you have here And I never saw a policeman half as big as the captain who talked to me so nice this afternoon and said I ought to go home to my mother. But I'm not going home until they let me talk with Rainwater, and they might as well understand that. If they lock him up I'll stay around and get to see him."

It was a case of love at first sight with Ida Willis.

"I was riding with a girl friend, Clara Lempson, on a train from Jonesburg to Blackrock last Decembr," she says. "We made a lot of racket trying to turn a seat back over, and couldn't get it to turn. Rainwater and a young man who was with him turned the seat for us, and we fell to talking. He was awfully nice, and when he asked me where I lived, I told him. He has written bushels of letters since. Saturday he telegraphed a ticket to me, and I came out here to be married.

"I didn't find him at the depot, where he said he would be, and so I went to the matron She sent me up here. There was a detective there, who said he would help find Rainwater."

Rainwater, whose first name, he says, is James, and the girl says is Joseph, has been driving a hack for the Depot Carriage and Baggage company for fifteen months. When Mrs. L. A. Shull, the depot matron, told Detective Bradley about the girl, Bradley hunted him up and sent him to police headquarters, where the girl was. Captain Whitsett met Rainwater on the stairs of the matron's rooms and questioned him. Rainwater didn't answer to suit the captain and was locked up.

Catain Whitsett telegraphed to Miss Willis's father in Blackrock last night for instructions.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

January 26, 1908


Condition Which Foresters
Say Confronts Southwest.

Lumber dealers of Kansas City and the states of Missouri, Knasas, Arkansas and Oklahoma generally, are centering all interest upon their twentieth annual convention, which is to begin in the city Tuesday morning. Between 1,500 and 2,000 of them have notified Secretary Harry A. Gorsuch of their intention to attend. Among these, at least 500 will be women, perhaps teh largest percentage of women that ever atended a purely commercial convention in this city.

All the indications point to the most important series of meetings in the history of the association during the three days the convention will last. Matters of such weighty imporance as the government efforts at forest preservation and the institution of the parcels post will occupy a great deal of the time, and the discussions upon these are to be led by some of the most important authorities upon the subjects to be secured in the whole United States. It is expected that these will attract not only the lumbermen of the Southwestern district, but of the entire West.

Overton Price, chief assistant forester of the department of the interior, will be the chief speaker upon the matter of forest preservation. His talk will be particularly interesting in view of the recent statistics compiled about the forests of Arkansas, one of the most important to the Southwestern district. It has been ascertained that there are about 100,000,000,000 feet of standing timber in that state, of which 20,000,000,000 is pine. In the year 1906 the total cut in that state was 2,000,000,000 feet, the largest in history. It is estimated that at this rate, in fifty years this will all be cut, assuming that growth will be offset by the deforestation and waste.

In Mr. Overton's address he will outline the plan whereby the government proposes to eliminate the extravagant wastes with which the forests in that state have been slaughtered. A large delegation from Arkansas will be present to learn the plans proposed and to secure hastiest cooperation with the government.

Labels: , ,

October 7, 1907




Penny Arcades Put on Passion Play
and Sacred Music -- Judah Says
There Are Sermons in His
Bill -- Cigars Sold
as Usual.

Kansas City theaters really give Sunday performances. Bold policemen, acting under orders which came directly from the police board, found this out last night. Such a rumor had reached police headquarters, but Chief of Police Ahern diplomatically sent out policemen to learn the truth after the police board pledged support to the criminal court in putting on the Sunday lid.

Regarding the rumor of Sunday performances -- the policemen found "It is even so." They will report to their superior officer today the evidence they collected in the playhouses. The supreme court decisions, shipped in from Arkansas, do not say it is a crime for an actor or an actorine to act, any day of the week. But with the managers it is different, and the police caught 'em red handed last night. The manager who includes Sunday performances in his contracts with the public "works" during the show.

Down at the Grand a policeman caught A. Judah working -- smoking numerous cigars and nodding "yes" or "no" to the doorman when a friend of the house applied for free admission. Judah is a long-headed manager. He saw the reform cloud on the theatrical horizon and send down East for a fitting show for the first tabooed performance. "Arizona" is the bill, and Mr. Judah's public flocked to the show like girls to a marked-down carnation sale. The house was sold out before 7 o'clock for the night performance, and half an hour before the curtain went up the "admissions" were exhausted, too.


"Did you ever see such a turn-a-way," said Harry S. Richards, manager of the show.

"No," answered Judah. "But it's the show which brings 'em out this Sunday night. There's a good sermon in 'Arizona' -- the kind that sends the public home with better thoughts to dwell upon through the week. For a show with a sermon coupon, 'Arizona' is a scream."

"But does Judah really own the Grand?" asked a uniformed policeman of the ticket seller early yesterday morning. He was getting the evidences for the police board. It was his first stop. He finally departed with the information that the place is managed by Mr. Judah.

Policemen did not visit many of the theaters until after the matinee hour in the early afternoon. They then called at each of the first class houses and later made the rounds of the penny arcades and moving picture shows, taking names of manager and locations of the places of amusement.


At many of the arcades the policemen, who are to make a report also on the character of the performances, were astounded to find the "Passion Play" in progress. Down on Main street an officer put a penny in the slot, adjusted the tubes to his ears, and then turned pale when the phonograph struck up a hymn instead of the ballet medley he had expected. He did not want the proprietor to think he did not like the place, so he ground his teeth and heart it "clean" through.

The officer assigned to vaudeville houses got blind staggers before he caught the right tip and performed the duty assigned him. At the Orpheum he found that Martin Beck is a Chicagoan. He went over to the Shubert and found a vaudeville service in progress, but a kindly disposed man outside told the blue coated officer that Mr. Klaw isn't expected here for a fortnight at least. No, Mr. Erlanger wasn't in town, either.

"Well, who is manager of this house?"

"I'm trying to be," answered Walter Sanford, the local representative of the theatrical syndicate of Klaw & Erlanger.


Chief of Police Ahern at first assigned regular theater patrolmen to bring in the evidence wanted. The men had the information already, and did not bother the managers, but they did "peep in" to see that the show really went on. Others, drawn to the theaters by curiosity, questioned employes. A policeman in uniform stood in front of the Willis Wood last night with the negro attendant who looks after the carriages.

"Who does run this house?" asked the policeman.

"The manager is Mr. Buckley, sir," answered the employe.

"Well," said the policeman, I thought Frank Woodward runs the house."

"No, sir, Mister Frank is business manager, and Mr. Buckley is the manager, sir."

"What's the difference between a manager and a business manager," asked the bewildered policeman.

"That's easy. Mr. Buckley, he runs the business. The business manager signs checks."

"Where does O. D. Woodward come in?"

"Why! He's the governor. He runs the whole business."


When two officers in plain clothes applied for admission last night at the Century, Manager Joe Donegan stepped to the door of his office. Then he turned and said:

"Hist! We're pinched." He had forgotten he had occupied the office alone and was only talking to an empty room. But the officers merely wanted to see if a show was in progress, and they soon departed to round up the arcades and outlying playhouses.

Cigar stands continued yesterday to sell newspapers, cigars and other stock. It's alright to sell newspapers, but it's considered Sunday labor to sell cigars, and the cigar stands which stay open to sell newspapers are preparing to put the lid on everything else if the grand jury so orders. But the police made no attempt to close either cigar stands or grocery stores.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

August 7, 1907




Happy to the Verge of Tears, the
Unfortunate Woman Starts on
the Long Journey in Search
of Health in More
Congenial Climate.

The following contributions were received by The Journal yesterday as a fund to send Mrs. J. A. Lowry, the self-sacrificing wife to Arizona in hope that her health may be restored.

"A Journal Reader".....................$10.00
L. S. Larimore, Calwell, Kas.........2.00

Last night the Journal received a check for $50 from a woman who asked that her name be kept secret.

"I hardly know what to say -- the people have been so kind to me -- I am grateful, of course -- more grateful than I can express -- it was so unexpected and so splendid -- goodby, and thank you, oh, ever so much!"

The speaker was a frail woman, too feeble to stand without assistance, and as she sat in an invalid's chair at the Union depot last night waiting for the train that was to bear her away to health and ahppiness, her expressions of gratitude for the kindness tha had made her journey possible were broken with tears. She was Mrs. M. A. Lowry, of 1106 Cherry street, just departing for Prescott, Arizona, where she hopes that the pure dry climate of that state will cure her of tuberculosis.


There are doubtless few in Kansas City who have not heard the story of this unfortunate woman's sufferings: How six years ago she married a stalwart young railroad man and came to Kansas City to help him build a home; how after two bright-eyed children came to them the mother was stricken with a terrible disease which only a climatic change could cure; how just as she and her husband were on the point of starting for Arizona last winter, the man was arrested on a charge based on circumstanial evidence and thrown into an Arkansas prison; how the woman without a murmur laid her life upon the altar of her husband's honor by expending the little savings laid by for the Western journey in a futile attempt to clear the charges against him; how he went to prison, while her health faded away; how after her strength failed she sat day in and day out before the doorway of their home that she might be the first to welcome him upon his return; how finally her pathetic story reached the governor of Arkansas who ordered the husband liberated, and how last week he came home to begin anew the fight to build a home.

When Mr. Lowrey reached Kansas City last Tuesday he set about finding a place to work. At the best it is a hard proposition for a man just out of prison to find profitable employment, yet he went to work with commendable zeal. But the wife's health began to fail rapidly after the reaction of her joy at his liberation, and it became apparent that something had to be done at once.

Following an editorial in The Journal, a number of citizens sent contributions for the unfortunate family. That no time might be lost, preparations for the trip were hurried, and Mrs. Lowrey, accompanied by her husband and two little children, left on a 9 o'clock train last night for Arizona.

When a newpaper reporter called at the Lowrey home yesterday afternoon, with the money that meant so much to the stricken woman, the gift was received with unmistakable marks of appreciation and gratitude. Part of it was in silver coins, and as the reporter poured these into the lap of the invalid she was so overcome with emotion that it was many moments before she could speak. When she did find words, however, she expressed her gratitude with grace and felling that showed greatly her glad surprise at the unexpected assistance.

Labels: , , ,

August 5, 1907



Money She Had Saved to Pay Her
Fare to Arizona Spent in the
Effort to Obtain Hus-
band's Pardon.

Lying bedfast, a sufferer of consumption due partly to her husband's incarceration in the Arkansas penitentiary, Mrs. John A. Lowrey, 1106 Cherry street, is living daily in the hope that some means may be provided whereby she can be taken to Arizona, where physicians say recovery is possible.

For six months Mrs. Lowrey pleaded with the authorities of Arkansas to release her husband, every day exhausting some new resource, and every day renewing with indomitable energy her fight for his pardon.

Finally, in sheer desperation, she sought the aid of kind friends in Kansas City. She told them of her plight, and said she must secure Lowrey's release or die an early death. Protesting that he was innocent of the charge upon which he was summarily convicted and quickly railroaded to prison, where he was sentenced to one year's servitude in Little Rock, after two juries had failed to agree, she won her first victory and went to Arkansas.

As only a loving mother and a devoted wife can plead, Mrs. Lowrey, with evidence tending to show that her husband was probably innocent of the crime of robbing a man in Fort Smith, eloquently and forcibly presented her case.

Returning to her two little children in Kansas City, weakened and much worse as the result of her long trip, Mrs. Lowrey daily awaited news from Arkansas. The days passed without cheering news and the weeks came and went.

One day a telegram came telling her that her fight was won and that on the following day, July 27, John Lowrey would be a free man.

Without funds or friends, Lowrey made his way back to Kansas City as quickly as possible. Then came the reunion. But with all its joys it had been saddened by the decline of the faithful wife's health.

Like his wife, broken in health as a result of his prison life and reduced to poverty, in debt, but not without friends, the husband started life anew.

But with his wife a victim of tuberculosis, unable to render him even the necessary assistance towards the care of the home and children, the burden of Lowrey was doubled.

Then followed the struggle for regained health. Mrs. Lowrey believed that her husband's return to her would give her new strength sufficient at least to overcome the disease which had taken hold of her.

The crisis came yesterday. The family physician told the sick woman that her only hope for life lies in a speedy change of climate, Arizona preferably.

Now a greater problem than that which faced him several months ago faces John Lowrey.

"My heroic wife secured my freedom from prison; how can I take her to Arizona?"

"I am doing all in my power to save my wife's life," said Lowrey last night. "I owe a debt of gratitude to my brave wife more sacred, if possible, than that of a mere husband. We believe that her life can be greatly prolonged by a change to a Western climate. I hope to obtain work on the railroad at Phoenix; I am corresponding with the officials there now and I look for a favorable reply in a day or two."

Mrs. Lowrey had saved $50 to pay her fare at the time her husband's trouble occurred. It was a fortune to her. She spent her money in her efforts to secure her husband's release from prison.

Labels: , , , ,


Get the Book
Vintage Kansas City Stories ~ Early 20th Century Americana as Immortalized in The Kansas City Journal
Kansas City Stories

Early Kansas City, Missouri

>>More KC Books<<

The History and Heritage of Vintage Kansas City in Books
Vintage Kansas
City Bookstore

Powered by Blogger

Vintage Kansas

Vintage Antique Classics ~ Vintage Music, Software, and more Time Travel Accessories

In association with
KC Web ~ The Ultimate Kansas City Internet Directory